· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #126
PenguinPower
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanthus View Post
Different religion, and I could be classified as disabled but I never disclosed that information to my employer.
Was your employer aware of the religious differences, and did they ever make any comments as to the fact, or any comments to disparage your religion?
"I have often had the impression that, to penguins, man is just another penguin - different, less predictable, occasionally violent, but tolerable company when he sits still and minds his own business."
PenguinPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #127
Acanthus
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower View Post
Was your employer aware of the religious differences, and did they ever make any comments as to the fact, or any comments to disparage your religion?
No.
::XFX Radeon 6850 1GB
::OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
::Water Cooling - Swiftech Apogee GTX, Triple 120mm rad, 120GPH pump
Acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #128
sixone
Lifer

Quote:
You are splitting hairs to an insane degree.
ROFL. Your answer for why you didn't ask for permission is that IT isn't allowed in your department, and that the only person who can authorize access hasn't been hired yet.

Then you claim that you didn't know any of that until after they'd fired you, so you didn't know you needed permission.

You should be careful what you do at work, more so when you're trying to convince someone to give you a promotion. That's basic common sense.

I don't think you should have been fired, but you sure should have lost any chance at that promotion. You just don't have the judgment, yet.
sixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #129
PenguinPower
Golden Member

Quote:
No.
You're most likely out of luck in the legal department.
"I have often had the impression that, to penguins, man is just another penguin - different, less predictable, occasionally violent, but tolerable company when he sits still and minds his own business."
PenguinPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #130
Remobz
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
For fuck's sake guys, this kid did not get fired for "snooping" with the company computers. That might be the reason listed in his HR file, but it damn sure was not the reason they got rid of him.

OP, you know as well as I do that they simply didn't like you. For some reason or another you got on the bad side of someone with authority and they sent you packing as soon as they had a plausible reason.

You weren't a good fit there, so suing to get your job back is not very wise. Go file for unemployment immediately and start looking for something else.

And be smarter next time about pissing off the higher-ups...
Well, every company has different policies and varies from Country to Country. Our policies here differ than the USA for example.

Obviously, there might be some truth to what you are saying. More than meets the eye for sure.

Oh well
Remobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #131
senttoschool
Golden Member

Quote:
I'm very close to my CCENT.

The problem is all jobs available in networking want a 4 year degree.
Do you use LinkedIn? If not, you need to sign up for an account. Start adding recruiters as connections on LinkedIn.

When you find a job that you want to apply for, look up an HR person that company on LinkedIn and add him/her as a connection. Once you add them, send them a personal message about your interest along with your resume.

Start hustling. I think most companies just want someone that can get the job done - 4 year degree or not. Just demonstrate that you know what you are doing.
senttoschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #132
Acanthus
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by senttoschool View Post
Do you use LinkedIn? If not, you need to sign up for an account. Start adding recruiters as connections on LinkedIn.

When you find a job that you want to apply for, look up an HR person that company on LinkedIn and add him/her as a connection. Once you add them, send them a personal message about your interest along with your resume.

Start hustling. I think most companies just want someone that can get the job done - 4 year degree or not. Just demonstrate that you know what you are doing.
Thanks for the encouragement

I do have a linkedin account, but it's incomplete. I'll work on that.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #133
senttoschool
Golden Member

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement

I do have a linkedin account, but it's incomplete. I'll work on that.
Yea, definitely use LinkedIn. I know people here hate social media for some reason but LinkedIn has gotten me internships and jobs. It's a social media worth investing your time in for sure.

Build out your complete profile. Write about yourself, what you want to do. Join networking groups. Apply for jobs using your LinkedIn profile(this works well!).

Message me if you want some more LinkedIn advice. I can send you my profile as an example.
senttoschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #134
SagaLore
Elite Member

Quote:
It literally says "tampering with surveillance cameras or equipment can be grounds for immediate termination"

tampering is not defined, what is or isnt equipment is not defined, there is literally no IT policy whatsoever in the handbook.
Actually, and unfortunately, that IS the IT policy.

Definition of tamper:

: to carry on underhand or improper negotiations (as by bribery)

a : to interfere so as to weaken or change for the worse —used with with <did not want to tamper with tradition>
b : to try foolish or dangerous experiments —used with with
c : to render something harmful or dangerous by altering its structure or composition <was charged with tampering with consumer products>

You literally got caught tampering with surveillance equipment and were immediately terminated.

I'm sorry. What you did, in their perspective, was 100% wrong, and what they did, based on the handbook, is 100% legal and correct.
SagaLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #135
Acanthus
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaLore View Post
Actually, and unfortunately, that IS the IT policy.

Definition of tamper:

: to carry on underhand or improper negotiations (as by bribery)

a : to interfere so as to weaken or change for the worse —used with with <did not want to tamper with tradition>
b : to try foolish or dangerous experiments —used with with
c : to render something harmful or dangerous by altering its structure or composition <was charged with tampering with consumer products>

You literally got caught tampering with surveillance equipment and were immediately terminated.

I'm sorry. What you did, in their perspective, was 100% wrong, and what they did, based on the handbook, is 100% legal and correct.
In what way is doing diagnostic commands foolish or dangerous?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #136
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
+50
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #137
SagaLore
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senttoschool View Post
Yea, definitely use LinkedIn. I know people here hate social media for some reason but LinkedIn has gotten me internships and jobs. It's a social media worth investing your time in for sure.

Build out your complete profile. Write about yourself, what you want to do. Join networking groups. Apply for jobs using your LinkedIn profile(this works well!).

Message me if you want some more LinkedIn advice. I can send you my profile as an example.
This. LinkedIn had ridden on the coattails of Facebook and become a very mature work related social network. Recruiters have been using that as a source of resumes.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #138
Imp
Lifer

Quote:
It literally says "tampering with surveillance cameras or equipment can be grounds for immediate termination"

tampering is not defined, what is or isnt equipment is not defined, there is literally no IT policy whatsoever in the handbook.
Not a lawyer, but "equipment" is pretty general and doesn't need explanation. "Tampering" connotes malicious intent for personal benefit. If you want to sue, talk to a lawyer, or just make some calls if you can't just let this go.

Regardless, you got shafted. Sorry. Hope you get this taken care of or move on happily.

Sometimes you just get a c*nt boss and you learn to deal with it after getting fucked over - unfortunately, being effed over resulted in you being unemployed. I had to deal with the worst "supervisor" (not officially, but he was in charge) recently, and almost quit because of it. Guy has not been cooperative, and blames shit, before there even is shit, on me. Just learned to be very careful with him. He's all smiles and nice on the outside though...
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #139
SagaLore
Elite Member

Quote:
You did them. That was the foolish part. You were experimenting. By very definition, you tampered with the machine by using it to collect privileged information about the network. Also, you could have accidentally issued a non-diagnostic option of those tools, and that was dangerous. You could have been performing recon that wasn't curiosity and prep for an interview, but for something mischievous. The manager and HR are all about the "could of". You admit they don't know anything about this stuff, so all they have to go on is their paranoia about hacking. So legally they are 100% in the right.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #140
Dumac
Diamond Member

Asking to run ipconfig is like having to ask to open My Documents.

What the hell are you people talking about? Are you that technologically ignorant?

ipconfig = hackings? better not go to http://www.whatismyip.com/.

The supervisor just wanted the job and shafted OP like a ruthless asshole because he could. OP's supervisor is what is wrong with the world. I can't believe anybody is defending the actions of OP's employer.

Last edited by Dumac; 11-07-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Dumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #141
Acanthus
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaLore View Post
You did them. That was the foolish part. You were experimenting. By very definition, you tampered with the machine by using it to collect privileged information about the network. Also, you could have accidentally issued a non-diagnostic option of those tools, and that was dangerous. You could have been performing recon that wasn't curiosity and prep for an interview, but for something mischievous. The manager and HR are all about the "could of". You admit they don't know anything about this stuff, so all they have to go on is their paranoia about hacking. So legally they are 100% in the right.
So wait, i was foolish because i did something that was foolish because i did something that was foolish be...

Do you see the problem with your thinking here?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #142
mshan
Diamond Member

Job market for you might be stronger than you think (8% headline unemployment nationally):

e. g. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2273008

Obviously, things might vary depending on region of country and specific company, but if you have proven skills and are perceived to be team player (try and find amicable separation with company when talking with VP, like you said, you don't want to work there anymore, but don't want black eye on your resume because supervisor wanted to eliminate competition for open job position), but tidbits I've read on internet say companies are starting to ramp up on the job training because they can't find the qualified skilled workers they need.

e. g. unemployment rate for college grads has been 4% for quite some time, and unemployment rate for associates degree or some college (didn't complete for official degree, though) was also decreasing (I infer this to mean than employers can't be as picky and as rigid as they would be if 8% unemployment were homogenous across all demographics and education level attained in this country)

Good Luck!

Last edited by mshan; 11-07-2012 at 05:24 PM.
mshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #143
Jodell88
Diamond Member

Well shit, the OP got fired for doing something I had to do for my data communications class for my degree. I guess I 'hacked' 25 universities from all over the world by their logic.

I better go hide from the feds. I'm an international criminal.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #144
SKORPI0
Lifer

Move on, it's not a nice place to work for anyway. It's your word against theirs. Too bad you were caught by the very person who also wants the job you applied for (eliminate the competition- you). Good luck on finding a better job.
NZXT Kraken X60 PULL, Samsung 830 128gb SSD (Windows 7), Kingston
SSDNow V300 120gb (OS X 10.8.2), Dual Yamakasi 2703, Logitech MK320.
SKORPI0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #145
coloumb
Diamond Member

Sounds like this was just the ammo your boss needed to let you go. My guess it was in the planning stages all along.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #146
OnePingOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloumb View Post
Sounds like this was just the ammo your boss needed to let you go. My guess it was in the planning stages all along.
Sounds likely that this was in the cards. They may have had it out for you and this was an opportunity for them to take you out.
Display - Planar PX2710MW | Sound - Logitech Z-5500 via Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
OnePingOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #147
IndyColtsFan
Lifer

Quote:
I'm very close to my CCENT.

The problem is all jobs available in networking want a 4 year degree.
I thought you were working on an econ degree. I must have confused you for someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePingOnly View Post
Sounds likely that this was in the cards. They may have had it out for you and this was an opportunity for them to take you out.
This.
MAIN: i7-2600K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus P8Z68-V Pro | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-1600 | Seagate 600 series 240 GB SSD (boot) | Samsung Evo 500 GB | 2 TB (data) | MSI Lightning GTX780 | Cosmos S | Dell U2410 and 2001fp | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise

Last edited by IndyColtsFan; 11-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.
IndyColtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #148
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower View Post
You're most likely out of luck in the legal department.
Unless he can show that the termination was pretextual...in other words, show a pattern that people from other races were disciplined less severely for more severe violations...it's a stretch though to be honest.

Member, Official AnandTech Bar Association

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Corporate Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #149
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member

One more advice for OP

Remember, looking for a job IS a full time job!
Vdubchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #150
sze5003
Diamond Member

I work in a retail investment company in the software department. All developers have access to cmd and anything else code related. What we dont have access to is blocked. Certain websites for social media, games, other things. Our pc's are monitored daily.

I use command prompt all the time and never got in any troubles. But all people I work with are familiar with it. If I had been around others who did not know I'm sure I would be in the same position.

People I work with have been canned for sending emails to their personal mail, or even friends from work email. They take stuff like this seriously and HR is mindless when it comes to this stuff.

I say you should just move on and look elsewhere. Deff use linked in and monster. I get calls still even though my resume is 2 years old.

If you wanted to play safe you could have talked to IT and asked if this was alright to do. I've done that plenty of times because even though IT may understand, they won't put themselves in your role when it comes to someone else saying you did this and that. What got you fired was what that guy told them. Word vs word unless someone in that company has a brain and used a type of guardian software that monitors computers and logs to prove the commands were harmless to the boss who is not versed in that subject.

Sorry to hear that man, I feel bad for you but stick to what you know and like and you will end up somewhere useful not some place where people shouldn't know too much.

I used to work for a company that knew nothing about coding or IT and I was the one to do it all for them, rather than worry about being hacked, you should be trusted, doesn't seem like your the type to go screw someone over with knowledge and authority. If the company won't trust you, what good is working for them?

Suing will take a long time and I bet you can find something much more worthwhile than sitting around collecting unemployment. He'll unemployment would not even pay all my student loans and other bills let alone leave me anything for food.
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3| Core i5 2500k @4.2Ghz-Hyper212 EVO| 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | 256GB Samsung 830 |128GB Crucial M4 | Saphire VaporX 7970Ghz 3GB | NZXT Phantom 410 | 750W Corsair Enthusiast
sze5003 is online now   Reply With Quote