Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #51
0roo0roo
No Lifer
 
0roo0roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 64,108
Default

80gb cap is shocking...
__________________
__________________
0roo0roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #52
KMFJD
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0roo0roo View Post
80gb cap is shocking...
My WiSP has a 20gb cap, and extra 20gb after that costs $25, as it is the only decent WISP in the area i'm paying around $90 a month for 40gb and an advertised speed of 5mb/1mb which in reality is more like .5mb down/1mb up during prime time hours....fml
KMFJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #53
silverpig
Lifer
 
silverpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 27,709
Default

TekSavvy cable is resold Rogers (in most places anyways). I've got it and it is unthrottled.
silverpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #54
actuarial
Platinum Member
 
actuarial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,813
Default

My contract with Rogers is about up, and even with their 25% discount TekSavvy is cheaper.

My question: do you guys think 18 down/512 up or 14 down/1 up is better? I do log into work via remote desktop connect which is the reason I think the 1 up might be better, but I'm a tech noob and you guys know your stuff better.
actuarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #55
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarial View Post
My contract with Rogers is about up, and even with their 25% discount TekSavvy is cheaper.

My question: do you guys think 18 down/512 up or 14 down/1 up is better? I do log into work via remote desktop connect which is the reason I think the 1 up might be better, but I'm a tech noob and you guys know your stuff better.
acanac has 28/1
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #56
actuarial
Platinum Member
 
actuarial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
acanac has 28/1
As does TekSavvy (though TekSavvy's is more expensive). Acanac also looks like it limits the speed during high usage time which is when I'd be working (7pm - 12am).
actuarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #57
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarial View Post
As does TekSavvy (though TekSavvy's is more expensive). Acanac also looks like it limits the speed during high usage time which is when I'd be working (7pm - 12am).
so does TekSavvy I think. Acanac is really reselling Distributel. AT least I think it's Distributel, could be some other company. Oddly enough Distributel doesn't offer 28/1.
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca

Last edited by sdifox; 09-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #58
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,363
Default

So the WiSP guy came buy today. He said he can't install it because I have too many trees on my property, and he can't get a clear signal. I'm not about to cut them down to get internet so there goes that idea.

So I shot a letter to Teksavvy to see what they could do for me price wise, since they're considerably more expensive than all their competitors despite offering identical packages. They refused to budge on the price and wouldn't explain what additional value I'd get for signing up with them. Then went on to say they can't do better because in their words "we are charged a very large portion by our vendors to service you and cannot engulf fees each month in order to price match." As a customer, I don't care. I want the best value for my dollar and you're not offering it.

So looks like my choices are Distributel or Acanac. The latter of which throttles from 7pm to 12am, which is when I use it most. I'm not sure if Distributel does. I've heard a lot of negative things about both so I'm a bit at a loss of what to do. Cogeco is reliable but they're just too expensive and their data caps too restrictive.
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #59
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
So the WiSP guy came buy today. He said he can't install it because I have too many trees on my property, and he can't get a clear signal. I'm not about to cut them down to get internet so there goes that idea.

So I shot a letter to Teksavvy to see what they could do for me price wise, since they're considerably more expensive than all their competitors despite offering identical packages. They refused to budge on the price and wouldn't explain what additional value I'd get for signing up with them. Then went on to say they can't do better because in their words "we are charged a very large portion by our vendors to service you and cannot engulf fees each month in order to price match." As a customer, I don't care. I want the best value for my dollar and you're not offering it.

So looks like my choices are Distributel or Acanac. The latter of which throttles from 7pm to 12am, which is when I use it most. I'm not sure if Distributel does. I've heard a lot of negative things about both so I'm a bit at a loss of what to do. Cogeco is reliable but they're just too expensive and their data caps too restrictive.
As far as I can tell, acanac cable internet is distributel. Get the 28 cable so when they throttle, it is still 14
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #60
coldmeat
Diamond Member
 
coldmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ON, CA
Posts: 9,178
Default

Guess we're lucky to have NRTC here. We pay for 6mb but get 10 with no throttling and no cap.
__________________

coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #61
silverpig
Lifer
 
silverpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 27,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
So the WiSP guy came buy today. He said he can't install it because I have too many trees on my property, and he can't get a clear signal. I'm not about to cut them down to get internet so there goes that idea.

So I shot a letter to Teksavvy to see what they could do for me price wise, since they're considerably more expensive than all their competitors despite offering identical packages. They refused to budge on the price and wouldn't explain what additional value I'd get for signing up with them. Then went on to say they can't do better because in their words "we are charged a very large portion by our vendors to service you and cannot engulf fees each month in order to price match." As a customer, I don't care. I want the best value for my dollar and you're not offering it.

So looks like my choices are Distributel or Acanac. The latter of which throttles from 7pm to 12am, which is when I use it most. I'm not sure if Distributel does. I've heard a lot of negative things about both so I'm a bit at a loss of what to do. Cogeco is reliable but they're just too expensive and their data caps too restrictive.
Check out the BBR reports on acanac. I looked into them and they had horrible customer service complaints.
silverpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #62
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpig View Post
Check out the BBR reports on acanac. I looked into them and they had horrible customer service complaints.
Their customer service sucks the bag. I haven't had to resort to customer service though.

Been with them oh, 7 or 8 years I think.
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #63
Iron Woode
Lifer
 
Iron Woode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: London, Ontario Canada
Posts: 20,540
Default

I am still happy with my unlimited cable internet from Start Communications. 6mps boosted to nearly 15mps and no throttling either.
__________________
My Rigs

When I was four I gave myself a needle and the whole hospital said I got shot when I was 22 and asian. I drove a black honda. - catchphrase

Compare your lives to mine and then kill yourselves
Iron Woode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #64
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Woode View Post
I am still happy with my unlimited cable internet from Start Communications. 6mps boosted to nearly 15mps and no throttling either.
They don't offer unlimited anymore according to their website. Teksavvy are still being huge dicks on their pricing still. I sent them an email this morning saying their offer wasn't good enough but they've yet to respond. So I guess they're done with me.

Anybody heard of these MySignal people. They're the same price as Teksavvy but they offer email and all that. Uses Bell's Fibe lines.
http://www.mysignal.ca/#!__residential-fiber
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #65
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
They don't offer unlimited anymore according to their website. Teksavvy are still being huge dicks on their pricing still. I sent them an email this morning saying their offer wasn't good enough but they've yet to respond. So I guess they're done with me.

Anybody heard of these MySignal people. They're the same price as Teksavvy but they offer email and all that. Uses Bell's Fibe lines.
http://www.mysignal.ca/#!__residential-fiber
huh? Bell doesn't offer FTTP, why would a reseller be able to? And those speeds don't look like FTTP at all.

lulz VDSL and they call it fiber...
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #66
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
huh? Bell doesn't offer FTTP, why would a reseller be able to? And those speeds don't look like FTTP at all.

lulz VDSL and they call it fiber...
That's Bell for you. They've rebranded all their DSL packages as fiber, or "Fibe". Just means they've installed fibre lines to the junction boxes instead of copper. Same tech the cable company uses.
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #67
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
That's Bell for you. They've rebranded all their DSL packages as fiber, or "Fibe". Just means they've installed fibre lines to the junction boxes instead of copper. Same tech the cable company uses.
I knew Fibe was FTTN, I didn't think a reseller would have the balls to call it fiber and "it works with your existing phone line"

On that alone I would not trust them.
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #68
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

I am still super happy with TekSavvy.... It's cheap and fast. No throttling or monkey business. No contracts, and no hidden fees.

This is the package I have: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residenti...cable/cable-18

It has since been upgraded from 12 when I got it, to 18, and its only $39.95.

I have a friend with Distributel and he says it is horribly unreliable, where as mine is rock rock solid, zero issues. Actually the reason I did not consider Acanac or Distributel was because I have many friends with TS and they have all had good experiences. Good enough for me, I'm now one of them.
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #69
sdifox
No Lifer
 
sdifox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North of Tonto, ON
Posts: 53,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRT View Post
I am still super happy with TekSavvy.... It's cheap and fast. No throttling or monkey business. No contracts, and no hidden fees.

This is the package I have: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residenti...cable/cable-18

It has since been upgraded from 12 when I got it, to 18, and its only $39.95.

I have a friend with Distributel and he says it is horribly unreliable, where as mine is rock rock solid, zero issues. Actually the reason I did not consider Acanac or Distributel was because I have many friends with TS and they have all had good experiences. Good enough for me, I'm now one of them.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Shrug.
__________________
I'm not a f$*#@ing machine! - Rubycon
Ever screw so much you get a blister? - Rubycon
shameless plug
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #70
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,363
Default

Spoke with Teksavvy again and they're still being dicks. They've been getting a lot of negative reviews lately so it seems wise for me to steer clear of them. I don't think they liked me calling them out on their high prices. Some of their competitors offering packages in the same price range seem to offer better perks.
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #71
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
Spoke with Teksavvy again and they're still being dicks. They've been getting a lot of negative reviews lately so it seems wise for me to steer clear of them. I don't think they liked me calling them out on their high prices. Some of their competitors offering packages in the same price range seem to offer better perks.
If it works...
I wasn't willing to take the chance, I use my internet connection every day, 7 days per week.
I think 39.95 is a good price, maybe not the very lowest, but sometimes you get what you pay for.
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #72
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRT View Post
If it works...
I wasn't willing to take the chance, I use my internet connection every day, 7 days per week.
I think 39.95 is a good price, maybe not the very lowest, but sometimes you get what you pay for.
They wanted over $60/mo for their 15mbps DSL. Which is way more than what the WiSP wanted, as well as most of their competition. That's for pretty bare bones service too. It's more their attitude I didn't like though.
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #73
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
They wanted over $60/mo for their 15mbps DSL. Which is way more than what the WiSP wanted, as well as most of their competition. That's for pretty bare bones service too. It's more their attitude I didn't like though.
If you compare their prices with a place like Acanac, the price is only less if you sign a contract. Acanac's monthly rate on their 18MBPS cable is Actually $47.95 if you prefer month to month, vs $39.95.

I dunno man, maybe you're only getting attitude because you're trying to get them to lower the price. I know there are some places where the prices are just not flexible at all, I try to haggle too, but sometimes the prices are just non negotiable.
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #74
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRT View Post
If you compare their prices with a place like Acanac, the price is only less if you sign a contract. Acanac's monthly rate on their 18MBPS cable is Actually $47.95 if you prefer month to month, vs $39.95.

I dunno man, maybe you're only getting attitude because you're trying to get them to lower the price. I know there are some places where the prices are just not flexible at all, I try to haggle too, but sometimes the prices are just non negotiable.
Meh, even Cogeco is willing to negotiate. I asked them for 10% but Teksavvy stayed firm. They couldn't tell me why their service was worth the extra money. ie, "We won't lower the price but our service has this, this and this". If they had made a good argument, I would have bought in. I'm about ready to just take the discount Cogeco was offering. I haven't been impressed with these other ISPs so far. MySignal seems to have more perks, such as more robust email accounts, better spam filtering, and they've gotten better reviews online than TS.
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #75
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
Meh, even Cogeco is willing to negotiate. I asked them for 10% but Teksavvy stayed firm. They couldn't tell me why their service was worth the extra money. ie, "We won't lower the price but our service has this, this and this". If they had made a good argument, I would have bought in. I'm about ready to just take the discount Cogeco was offering. I haven't been impressed with these other ISPs so far. MySignal seems to have more perks, such as more robust email accounts, better spam filtering, and they've gotten better reviews online than TS.
Cogeco will always negotiate, same with Rogers... But I think that is because their prices are high and they have room, which I think is more criminal honestly... TS has a lower, flat rate that they don't budge on, which I think is fine. The fact they are willing to negotiate about services sometimes makes me wonder how much they really make from people, especially those who never change their services or try to get better rates etc.

I hope it works out for you, with whatever you decide. I am definitely happy I made the choice I did though. And I can leave them if I decide to move or anything without having to break out of a contract. More than I can say for my cable TV service (minimum 1 year term)
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.