Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #76
Mursilis
Diamond Member
 
Mursilis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul98 View Post
The 47% Romney was talking about were the number of people who don't pay federal income tax.
The 47% doesn't bother me nearly as much as the much greater majority which seems to have agreed to continue to borrow ad infinitum and leave an economic disaster for future generations. We all seem to have "compromised" by accepting big-gov't benefits, small-gov't taxes, and a ton of debt for the future.
__________________
Everyone should have a chance to be miserable.
-anonymous NHL player on why he supports same-sex marriage
Mursilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #77
Angry Irishman
Golden Member
 
Angry Irishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPUNISHER View Post
1. Thank you for your service.

2. I like that your user name is honest and accurate.

3. I disagree with your conclusion. I think what some of the analyst said this morning is the main reason Romney lost. That being, He ran this campaign heavily reliant on Caucasian voters particularly males. And that you simply cannot win an election anymore with that strategy. The electorate is rapidly changing, and Caucasians are heading towards minority status. The Republican party has to court the other ethnicities and women better, if they want to win. They have some "young guns" that will be able to do that far better than the old boys.

Rove this morning showed data that pointed to Romney doing well with voters everywhere important except the poll question asking if they thought he cared about people like them. I guess the numbers were fairly miserable on that one. Just another fat cat trying to buy an election for he and his buddies, in many peoples' minds, evidently. Much of the reason I dubbed him Kerry 2.0, the average person just cannot relate to him, or vice versa.

And the way his remarks about the auto bailout were framed by the Obama campaign resonated, and cost him Ohio.
Cheers! To be clear I don't think my rationale is the sole reason the election went the way it did....just a contributor.

And you're correct the Caucasian demographic in this country is shrinking. That's one of the beautiful things about America is the melting pot effect and it's always changing. Illegal immigration is a whole other topic but if done legally it doesn't bother me a bit that the country is becoming more Latino or whatever...it's a natural progression.
Angry Irishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #78
nanette1985
Diamond Member
 
nanette1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: saddle river nj
Posts: 4,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Irishman View Post
Looks like many of those folks getting checks in the mail will continue to get paid.
I won't comment on the morality of welfare.

However, TANF doesn't come as a check in the mail. It's direct deposited.
__________________
sold my sig on ebay
nanette1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #79
peonyu
Golden Member
 
peonyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,845
Default

I disagree its all about welfare, some area's such as D.C are majority black, it was expected to be a Obama haven. Southern FL, Southern Texas, the Detroit area, and the city areas of Ohio were a shoe in for Obama aswell for the same reasons [hispanic majorities or black majority]. This election was easy to call if the rural parts of a state were counted but the cities were not [hello Ohio]...Did anyone really think Cincinnati, a majority black/hispanic city would have voted for Romney ? Hah, hell no. That is why Ohio was called for Obama early on to the dismay of Rove...Who apparently is so out of touch that he thinks black people would consider voting for a white person if there was a black candidate to vote for [which is just hahahahahahaahahahah! right!].

Last edited by peonyu; 11-07-2012 at 10:12 AM.
peonyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #80
SheHateMe
Diamond Member
 
SheHateMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 6,731
Default

Oh, now we're back to blaming blacks for Romney not winning. I was watching his convention last night, it was hard to spot a non-white face in the crowd. But, that's what he and the GOP wanted anyway.

Furthermore, DC is worth THREE points. Oh yea, the blacks strike again.
__________________
Main: Intel i5 3570K | MSI Z77A-G45 | Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB | MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 | Corsair H80 | CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 | Fractal Design R4
HTPC: In Progress
NAS: Lian Li Q25B | Asus P8H77-I | Intel Celeron G540 | 4GB RAM | 21TB | UNRAID Plus

Last edited by SheHateMe; 11-07-2012 at 10:34 AM.
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #81
bfdd
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,315
Default

DC went Obama like 96% to 4%. But I bet nobody mentions race as a factor because that would be racist. So it must be because they are poorer right? So they need more welfare? Fucking what a joke.
bfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #82
hal2kilo
Diamond Member
 
hal2kilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Yup, virginia is filled with all kinds of people benefitting from government handouts, whether its straight up cash, or cushy federal jobs, or government contracts. And it covers the whole range, millionaire businessmen, loads of 40k people doing menial work, lawyers arguing between corporations at 500 dollars an hour, and illegals taking care of ginormous lawns cuz the rich folks are too cheap to hire Americans at minimum wage.
Just drive down Rt 7. You'll see where all the tax dollars are going.

BTW, I grew up there. The was a relatively high mean income there due to all of the government and military working in the area, but not that much extreme wealth. Then, the corporations (lobbyists) figured out that having a headquarters in the area, made it a lot more convenient to deliver the attache case full of bucks to influence legislation. That's when all the manses started showing up.
__________________
I'm a liberal because I'm a realist.

Go Mariners!

Love my new Grande Cherokee Eco-Diesel
hal2kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #83
SheHateMe
Diamond Member
 
SheHateMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 6,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdd View Post
DC went Obama like 96% to 4%. But I bet nobody mentions race as a factor because that would be racist. So it must be because they are poorer right? So they need more welfare? Fucking what a joke.
24% of Utah voted for Obama 72.7% for Romney. Let me guess what color those voters were. Its only a problem when the white guy doesn't get the black/latino/non-white vote but NEVER a problem when the white guy gets most of the white votes.
__________________
Main: Intel i5 3570K | MSI Z77A-G45 | Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB | MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 | Corsair H80 | CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 | Fractal Design R4
HTPC: In Progress
NAS: Lian Li Q25B | Asus P8H77-I | Intel Celeron G540 | 4GB RAM | 21TB | UNRAID Plus

Last edited by SheHateMe; 11-07-2012 at 10:34 AM.
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #84
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
24% of Utah voted for Obama 72.7% for Romney. Let me guess what color those voters were. Its only a problem when the white guy doesn't get the black vote but NEVER a problem when the white guy gets most of the white votes.
those 24% in Utah were the only non Mormon voters in the state..
had nothing to do with color in that state.
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)





CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #85
SheHateMe
Diamond Member
 
SheHateMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 6,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
those 24% in Utah were the only non Mormon voters in the state..
had nothing to do with color in that state.
And what about the other states in which Romney won by a landslide, are they voting along color lines? Or....is it just a black thing? White man can't win the election because blacks are allowed to vote. They ruin everything!
__________________
Main: Intel i5 3570K | MSI Z77A-G45 | Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB | MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 | Corsair H80 | CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 | Fractal Design R4
HTPC: In Progress
NAS: Lian Li Q25B | Asus P8H77-I | Intel Celeron G540 | 4GB RAM | 21TB | UNRAID Plus

Last edited by SheHateMe; 11-07-2012 at 10:48 AM.
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #86
Pneumothorax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
24% of Utah voted for Obama 72.7% for Romney. Let me guess what color those voters were. Its only a problem when the white guy doesn't get the black/latino/non-white vote but NEVER a problem when the white guy gets most of the white votes.
There's a world of a difference between 95% (estimated AA vote) vs. 72.7%. The 95% is definitely racist.
__________________
Heatware

Last edited by Pneumothorax; 11-07-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Pneumothorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #87
Mursilis
Diamond Member
 
Mursilis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
24% of Utah voted for Obama 72.7% for Romney. Let me guess what color those voters were. Its only a problem when the white guy doesn't get the black/latino/non-white vote but NEVER a problem when the white guy gets most of the white votes.
Vermont is one of the whitest states in the nation - 95% white and less than 2% black. Obama won it in a landslide (67/31).
__________________
Everyone should have a chance to be miserable.
-anonymous NHL player on why he supports same-sex marriage
Mursilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #88
SheHateMe
Diamond Member
 
SheHateMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 6,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursilis View Post
Vermont is one of the whitest states in the nation - 95% white and less than 2% black. Obama won it in a landslide (67/31).
Okay and what about other states with higher white populations than black that Romney won by a landslide..are they racist?
__________________
Main: Intel i5 3570K | MSI Z77A-G45 | Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB | MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 | Corsair H80 | CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 | Fractal Design R4
HTPC: In Progress
NAS: Lian Li Q25B | Asus P8H77-I | Intel Celeron G540 | 4GB RAM | 21TB | UNRAID Plus
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #89
BUTCH1
Lifer
 
BUTCH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 12,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosurface View Post
Another alternative is if we had the balls to sterilize people again. On a massive scale, and anyone caught committing a violent crime or burglary be immediately shot.

I'm not sure I REALLY support these measures, but they have a certain appeal.
Sterilize people?, maybe you can rent a time machine and transport yourself to 1943 Nazi Germany. Some kid stole my bike from my garage which I recovered 2 weeks later, your saying I should have the right to shoot him on the spot for breaking into my garage? think about what your saying before you sound even more epically dumb and racist..
__________________
Would Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself
could not eat it?? Homer Simpson.
BUTCH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #90
Mursilis
Diamond Member
 
Mursilis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
Okay and what about other states with higher white populations than black that Romney won by a landslide..are they racist?
You seemed pretty determined to find racists everywhere, so there's really nothing the facts can say to dissuade you. In your world, did Romney win?
__________________
Everyone should have a chance to be miserable.
-anonymous NHL player on why he supports same-sex marriage
Mursilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #91
SheHateMe
Diamond Member
 
SheHateMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 6,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursilis View Post
You seemed pretty determined to find racists everywhere, so there's really nothing the facts can say to dissuade you. In your world, did Romney win?
You obviously weren't paying attention to who I originally commenting to. Bfdd stated that blacks in DC voted for Obama because he was black (and everywhere else)..but it is racist to say so. Therefore, I asked the question of whether or not a Romney landslide win in a mostly white state can also be attributed to racism. Its only fair.

Did Romney lose because he wasn't black or did he lose because he was never supposed to? Blaming the election outcome on blacks is stupid. DC would make little to no difference unless the race was neck and neck. It never was.
__________________
Main: Intel i5 3570K | MSI Z77A-G45 | Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB | MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 | Corsair H80 | CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 | Fractal Design R4
HTPC: In Progress
NAS: Lian Li Q25B | Asus P8H77-I | Intel Celeron G540 | 4GB RAM | 21TB | UNRAID Plus

Last edited by SheHateMe; 11-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #92
nehalem256
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTCH1 View Post
Sterilize people?, maybe you can rent a time machine and transport yourself to 1943 Nazi Germany. Some kid stole my bike from my garage which I recovered 2 weeks later, your saying I should have the right to shoot him on the spot for breaking into my garage? think about what your saying before you sound even more epically dumb and racist..
You apparently have no problem with Octomom... maybe you should think about what you are saying.

EDIT: And the only person talking about race is you.
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #93
GMC12
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 28
Default Welfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanthus View Post
I would agree it definitely needs some work.

I think people on welfare whom are able bodied should be doing one of three things in order to receive their check:

1. Learning new job skills, possibly subsidized by the govt
or
2. Volunteering for a public works project, 8hrs per week, AND be actively job-seeking.
or
3. Working for a child day-care system, to support the able-bodied single moms that need it for options 1 and 2, and possibly when they find skilled work and/or consistent work.
In order to qualify for welfare they should take a physical test if they pass the physical test they are not qualify for welfare they have to fine other ways of means to get incomes.but if they fail the physical then the state determined Hi needs.
GMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #94
feralkid
Diamond Member
 
feralkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Live long and bite me.
Posts: 9,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Irishman View Post
No, I'm saying that many of the votes were driven by those individuals who want to continue with welfare....unchecked welfare. The other reasons being pitched by the Obama campaign really didn't matter to many who get those checks every week. Give me my free income and I'll vote for whoever/whenever regardless of what the countries problems are. Debt be damned....give me my money! Constitutional rights eroded....give me my money!

"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money to spend."

....Not a big deal we'll just redistribute wealth.

Gee, that's what Mit said, got called on it, lost the election and then said it again.

Not the kind of statement to be doubling down on.

feralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #95
Thump553
Diamond Member
 
Thump553's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 9,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdd View Post
DC went Obama like 96% to 4%. But I bet nobody mentions race as a factor because that would be racist. So it must be because they are poorer right? So they need more welfare? Fucking what a joke.
Nobody mentions race? That's what you righties constantly harp on.

BTW, Washington, DC is 42.4% white http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/11000.html
but don't allow facts to get in the way of a good ole' GOP false justification.
Thump553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #96
IronWing
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 33,474
Default

Welfare recipients vote? Really?
IronWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #97
IGBT
Lifer
 
IGBT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,699
Default

moochers and parasites rejoice!! your obama will shake em on down. All you have to do is make reservations on your obama phone and you will be paid to do nothing.
__________________
"Under my plan, energy prices would naturally skyrocket" - Barrack Hussein Obama.
gas was $1.84 a gallon prior to obama inauguration. The price of ALL goods and services (food) are tied to the price of transportation energy.
IGBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #98
NTMBK
Diamond Member
 
NTMBK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGBT View Post
moochers and parasites rejoice!! your obama will shake em on down. All you have to do is make reservations on your obama phone and you will be paid to do nothing.
Oh, that old Obamaphone crap?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...they-for-real/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
I like my VRMs how I like my hookers, hot and Taiwanese.
NTMBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #99
Lemon law
Lifer
 
Lemon law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 20,991
Default

I love this 47% crapola, that does not mean Romney should get the support of the other 53%. As Romney policies appeal to only the top 2% of the American people. All else is smoke and mirrors.

America has only thrived on the basis of a strong middle class, and when all of American wealth concentrates in only the top 2% it leads to only depression and big business finding out its killed the thing it depends on, namely the customer.

Exactly the thing our business oriented President in Hoover found out. As the GOP expected the American people to place their faith in Hoover hogs, hoovervilles, and Hoover pie in the sky.
Lemon law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #100
Siddhartha
Lifer
 
Siddhartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 12,454
Default

Wasn't that 47% thing debunked back when the video of Mr Romney talking about it was released?

Does anyone understand the psychology behind people attacking poor people when the groups who really screwed them are the ones who started and sent your kids and relatives to get chewed up in two wars, almost drove the economy off the cliff, sent your jobs offshore, etc.
__________________
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

The US Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776
Siddhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.