· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
SketchMaster
Platinum Member

Default 1966 'Stang Coupe

This has been sitting in front of a Suzuki dealership for almost three months now, so I broke down and decided to take a look. I've been looking for a fun 2nd car to putt around in during summer months, no racing.

No info on it, they bought it at auction and are asking north of $18K for it (I laughed). A lot of questionable work has been done to it, looks like it belonged to a young guy who wanted a drag toy. No major rust, in fact that car is in great shape besides the motor. I didn't get a chance to fire it up because I was on my way to an appointment.

What say ye?

Feel free to correct my spelling/grammar.

Last edited by SketchMaster; 11-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.
SketchMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
SketchMaster
Platinum Member

More pics:

Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
phucheneh
Diamond Member

18k for a coupe should be like a concourse resto price...

Also, blow-through superchargers: does this ever work? I've heard of special carbs designed for boost, but in practice it seems like they never run as well as roots blowers.

If I was gonna buy a Mustang coupe, it would be for the low price. Then I'd rob a MAF EFI setup out of a fox body and have a neat, reliable daily driver. Not that carbs can't do the same, EFI is just cheap and easy on a 302 or 351.

Other random comments: Aftermarket auto shifters are cheesy (unless it's a drag car with a full manual valve body or something). And why do people put thousands into engine mods and then apparently lack the time/energy/couple of bucks to not have stuff like ugly spaghetti plug wires?

edit: also no AC and (practically) no stereo...with that obvious aftermarket shifter, I'm assuming they didn't do the 'keep the stock radio for appearance and hide an aftermarket one in the glovebox' thing. As far as AC, well, I guess you are in Colorado. But I'm used to it being a requirement in winter, too (too damn humid here). Always easier to buy a car with the AC (even if it doesn't work) than to try and retrofit onto a gutted or factory non-AC car.

Last edited by phucheneh; 11-06-2012 at 12:50 PM.
phucheneh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
homercles337
Diamond Member

That is just junk. The "cobra" emblems are fake. Also this car came with a 6 cyl. It might be worth a few hundred, but that prices is just stupid.

http://www.decodethis.com/Classic-De...in/6F07T221602
Old 11-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
thedarkwolf
Diamond Member

leaving the lower flexplate cover off the trans isn't a great sign either.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
phucheneh
Diamond Member

But they made up for it with the custom random header wrap, obviously.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
skyking
Lifer

had one of those. Too bad they hacked the dash as well.

skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
JCH13
Diamond Member

autozone stainless braid on cooling lines...
choady looking undersized K&N filter...
lack of dust shield on clutch/flywheel...
worm drive clamps on fuel lines...
brass home-plumbing fittings...

Run. Run away screaming.

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
JCH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
SketchMaster
Platinum Member

Trass was upgraded according to the kid at the dealer, but I don't know I'd take his word on it since I watched him search for the hood release lever in the cabin for over a minute before I walked up to the hood and popped it open.

I passed these photos by a guy at work who restores cars as a side profession. He pretty much said what I had figured, great frame but horrible engine setup. I'd need to rip off the SC and convert it back to NA, sell the SC for some cash, fix all the little cosmetic mods he's done, hope that he didn't ruin anything with that SC (though, we joke that the air filter was too small for full pressure to build), mend and cover the trans and put disk breaks on.

For $18k, they are hoping some kid comes back from overseas (military town) with a pocket full of money and buys it. If I could talk them down to something reasonable, and it passed a test drive with my friend, I may think about it.

...But it's a dealership, so they will hold out for that military kid.

Last edited by SketchMaster; 11-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
phucheneh
Diamond Member

I don't know if that's even worth in the double digits, let alone 18k.

There are nice (at least, they appear nice) coupes on ebay for like 5-7k that basically just need a motor swap and maybe some drivetrain upgrades. Could probably spank the shit out of the above for less than 10k total. That's what I'd do, at least...its not exactly hard to swap engines in those cars. The important part is good paint/body/interior...basically, you want a nice roller that includes a free boat anchor (I6).
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Fenixgoon
Lifer

my (soon to be) BIL's vintage mustang was in excellent condition and he was asking $5k for it.

Buy my car!
Fenixgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
power_hour

They should put some red lipstick on that pig. It might help.
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Vetterin

For that price it will probably be sitting at the dealership for 3 more.............YEARS!
Vetterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
cbrsurfr
Golden Member

Some uninformed sucker will buy it, put another 20K into it and have a 15K car in the end.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
Insomniator
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrsurfr View Post
Some uninformed sucker will buy it, put another 20K into it and have a 15K car in the end.
Are there really 'uninformed' people spending 20 grand on classic cars? Seems like anyone that would be interested in a 40 year old car would know something about it... then again looking at these pics who knows.
Insomniator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
ketchup79
Diamond Member

Looks good on the outside. The amount they want put the car out of the question, but it would be interesting to find out how many problems there are in that car - the ones we can't see.

Iif it has been there long they might be willing to deal.
Intel Core i5-2500k | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8 GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 | Antec EarthWatts EA-650 BRONZE | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

Last edited by ketchup79; 11-07-2012 at 11:27 AM.
ketchup79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
BUTCH1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
That is just junk. The "cobra" emblems are fake. Also this car came with a 6 cyl. It might be worth a few hundred, but that prices is just stupid.

http://www.decodethis.com/Classic-De...in/6F07T221602
The inline 6 was the base engine for the car, many ordered it with the 289 V8. Even if the engine isn't running the body is in decent shape, it's worth a LOT more than a "couple hundred" LOL..
Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
MiataNC
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTCH1 View Post
The inline 6 was the base engine for the car, many ordered it with the 289 V8. Even if the engine isn't running the body is in decent shape, it's worth a LOT more than a "couple hundred" LOL..
Based on the VIN this specific car shipped with an inline 6. It originally had lighter springs smaller brakes and a 4-bolt wheel pattern. It is a base model with no real collector value.

At best it is an $8-10k car that needs another $8-10K to sort out and make it right (as a 6 or 8 cylinder car).

A confident man doesn’t waste time lamenting his failures. He drives forward to the next success.
MiataNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
skyking
Lifer

The suspension was changed to the V-8 stuff, at least the spindles and brakes were. From the looks of it the springs were changed too. My 66 started out life as a 6 banger.

skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
BUTCH1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataNC View Post
Based on the VIN this specific car shipped with an inline 6. It originally had lighter springs smaller brakes and a 4-bolt wheel pattern. It is a base model with no real collector value.

At best it is an $8-10k car that needs another $8-10K to sort out and make it right (as a 6 or 8 cylinder car).
Meh, aftermarket rearend, bigger springs, disc brake conversion, I'm sure those are all aftermarket off-the shelf stuff you can order but your right on one point is once you start doing those things it's no longer a Ford Mustang it's YOUR version of a Ford mustang so it's a "retromod" so to speak. I was just LOL'ing at the dude that said it's only worth "a couple hundred" as is..
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
yottabit
Golden Member

I've learned not to buy other people's projects

Even though it seems like it could be a better value (it sometimes can) I think it's much more rewarding to buy a stock car and then see the progression yourself

Horsepower is addictive and if you've got a car that's already modded to ~400 HP you'll quickly get bored with it, as opposed to bringing it from 200 to 400 yourself is kind of rewarding

Then there's a lot of headaches. I wouldn't ever buy a car that's got an engine swap (except maybe an sr20det or something really simple) or homebrew forced induction. Buying something that's got heads/cam with shop receipts could be a good deal on the other hand.

The main problem is there's no one to ask when things go wrong. No one else on earth will know why certain things were wired or plumbed a certain way. Then you are left trying to figure it out yourself, wondering if there was a good reason he didn't wire it this way or if it was just out of ignorance. UGH
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
SketchMaster
Platinum Member

I decided a couple days ago it wasn't even worth talking to the dealer, they wouldn't come down on the price. I've dealt with that dealer before when I was looking to buy a Suzuki SX4, they wanted close to 20k for a base model after all their "ad-ons". After an hour of arguing they wouldn't go any lower than 18K, so I drove down the street to Phil Long Suzuki and got the same car for 1k under MSRP.