· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #101
ronbo613

I wasn't going to buy it, but I did. I was in Walmart getting some fishing stuff and I couldn't resist. Won't play until tomorrow, getting up at 4:30AM to go fishing...
Synology DS212j w 2 2TB WD Red
Website | Blog
ronbo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #102
purbeast0
Lifer

played the first level of campaign. feels like a totally modernized halo and pretty different so far. it just all around has a much faster feel to it.

not sure how i felt about the sound thus far. that was always a big part of other halo games. i was saddened to not hear the 'halo chant' at the opening of this game too.

i quickly browsed some options and noticed that you can set loadouts. this is going to change online play SSSSOOOO much, in a good way IMO. instead of worrying about getting a better weapon than what you start with, and the whole game revolving around power weapons control, it now looks like you can start with the weapon of your choice.

i look forward to testing the waters online when i get a chance.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #103
cmdrdredd
Lifer

I'm finding some of the weapons feel weaker than they used to be or the enemies are more squishy...dunno which. The new enemies are annoying as hell. Almost like they are the new flood or Halo 4's Zombies that just won't die.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #104
rsutoratosu
Platinum Member

i played for a few min also, not bad.. i wanna play multi soon
rsutoratosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #105
IceBergSLiM
Lifer

Played about 3 hours of campaign tonight on legendary co-op as is tradition. Its pretty amazing. Everything is different in a good way and still feels very much like halo. I'm taking off all day friday to get down with this some more.
IceBergSLiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #106
IceBergSLiM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I'm finding some of the weapons feel weaker than they used to be or the enemies are more squishy...dunno which. The new enemies are annoying as hell. Almost like they are the new flood or Halo 4's Zombies that just won't die.
The weapons feel more badass to me. Especially the magnum. That thing rocks now. Oh and the forerunner weapons are LEGIT!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #107
Pheran
Diamond Member

I like the weapons too. All of the UNSC weapons I've used (assault rifle, battle rifle, magnum) sound fantastic and are extremely satisfying to fire. The Covenant weapons I've used are not bad either. I haven't gotten to the forerunners yet.

EDIT: Oh, and, as usual, I LOVE the plasma sword. There's nothing like impaling an Elite with that thing.

Heatware: Pheran
Pheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #108
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheran View Post
I like the weapons too. All of the UNSC weapons I've used (assault rifle, battle rifle, magnum) sound fantastic and are extremely satisfying to fire. The Covenant weapons I've used are not bad either. I haven't gotten to the forerunners yet.

EDIT: Oh, and, as usual, I LOVE the plasma sword. There's nothing like impaling an Elite with that thing.
i was a huge huge fan of the carbine last night when i picked that up on the first mission. the beam rifle was pretty badass too.

now that i think about it too, i take my comment about the sound that i made in my other post in this thread. i do however definitely think the music (only through the first mission) is not nearly as good as the bungie made halos. but maybe that changes.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #109
cmdrdredd
Lifer

I guess its just me. Maybe I have gotten used to it only taking a couple shots to kill an enemy in other games. Doesn't mean its bad...just a casual observation. The forerunner weapons are badass though except I hate the scattergun or whatever its called. Powerful yea but not enough ammo and reloads too slow IMO. Makes a good balance though.

The music...I haven't even paid attention to the music. I hear it but in past games it added something to the scene. This time it is more ambiance than trying to make an impact on the story or gameplay.

I like the game but I guess after not having played halo in so long, it feels different than what I have been playing.

I got the limited edition unsc controller and I must say...the dpad and analog sticks have really been improved. I like the dip in the thumb pads instead of the bumps that wear down and the dpad is raised up more and feels more responsive and usable. I bet this dpad would work well for fighting games too. Feel more precise with it.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #110
rsutoratosu
Platinum Member

I can't wait to get off work and go home and play.. especially in this snow storm.. haha

my only disapointment is my daughter was not born yesterday, her middle name could have been halo.. sad
rsutoratosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #111
alfa147x
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
I can't wait to get off work and go home and play.. especially in this snow storm.. haha

my only disapointment is my daughter was not born yesterday, her middle name could have been halo.. sad
Name her Olah
Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #112
slag
Diamond Member

I played to the intro. Fun game, the weapons have a great feel to them, however, it seems like the MC shield isn't nearly as powerful as it used to be.
Till the pleasant pheasant plucker comes.
slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #113
alfa147x
Lifer

Does the audio sound off to anyone? This game is a lot more theatrical than the others but the audio range is horrible. Mids and highs are all muddled in the middle while the bass is right there with them. My sub rarely kicks in. My FL, C, FR do most of the work while they can push some low end I like my sub filling in those frequencies. Movies and Halo reach sound great but Halo 4...

Receiver: Denon AVR-1912 configured using Audyssey
FL and FR: Polk Monitor 50
Center: Polk CSR
Rear: JBL Bookshelf
Sub: Polk PSW10

Last edited by alfa147x; 11-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.
alfa147x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #114
AznAnarchy99
Lifer

I used to play Halo 1/2 on the original Xbox. I dont have a 360 but I really want to play Halo 4 lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #115
Atty
Golden Member

Finished the Campaign on Heroic today. Fantastic. Loved it. Stick around after the credits guys.
Atty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #116
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa147x View Post
Does the audio sound off to anyone? This game is a lot more theatrical than the others but the audio range is horrible. Mids and highs are all muddled in the middle while the bass is right there with them. My sub rarely kicks in. My FL, C, FR do most of the work while they can push some low end I like my sub filling in those frequencies. Movies and Halo reach sound great but Halo 4...

Receiver: Denon AVR-1912 configured using Audyssey
FL and FR: Polk Monitor 50
Center: Polk CSR
Rear: JBL Bookshelf
Sub: Polk PSW10
Since everyone is sleeping I can't crank it up. I will have to try it out tomorrow. I have a Yamaha RX-A2020 with Klipsch RF-82II/RC-62 II/RW-12D.
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #117
Sulaco
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atty View Post
Finished the Campaign on Heroic today. Fantastic. Loved it. Stick around after the credits guys.
How long did it take you?

Did you play co-op, or alone?
Sulaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #118
purbeast0
Lifer

i'm through the first 3 levels and so far this game feels just okay to me. while i know it is different than previous halo's, something about it just does not have the charm or feels off a little bit.

to me there is just something about the game that doesn't feel "smooth" which is something about the halo games that i always felt no other game had. for instance when you simply switch weapons between the BR and the pistol, it seems like it just pops up so quickly and doesn't have a real smooth animation/look/feel like it used to. same with dropping down cliffs and/or jumping.

i also feel the items in the whole halo universe don't have the charm they used to. there isn't really that "glow" on all of the enemies that i liked. like the little grunt dudes (their names are not coming to memory right now) are all dark/dull and they sound like robots now instead of the funny high pitched voice they used to have.

then last night i got into the ghost and banshee for the first time and i felt the same. they are all dull colored and the sound of the weapons feels very generic. the banshee now controls a lot worse as well.

but this is really all just first impression things. as i said i'm not very far along the game yet, but so far, this game is just screaming "average/okay" to me but not even close to "spectacular/great/must play". maybe i'm just burnt out of halo or something, although i've enjoyed every iteration of it thus far.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #119
IceBergSLiM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
i'm through the first 3 levels and so far this game feels just okay to me. while i know it is different than previous halo's, something about it just does not have the charm or feels off a little bit.

to me there is just something about the game that doesn't feel "smooth" which is something about the halo games that i always felt no other game had. for instance when you simply switch weapons between the BR and the pistol, it seems like it just pops up so quickly and doesn't have a real smooth animation/look/feel like it used to. same with dropping down cliffs and/or jumping.

i also feel the items in the whole halo universe don't have the charm they used to. there isn't really that "glow" on all of the enemies that i liked. like the little grunt dudes (their names are not coming to memory right now) are all dark/dull and they sound like robots now instead of the funny high pitched voice they used to have.

then last night i got into the ghost and banshee for the first time and i felt the same. they are all dull colored and the sound of the weapons feels very generic. the banshee now controls a lot worse as well.

but this is really all just first impression things. as i said i'm not very far along the game yet, but so far, this game is just screaming "average/okay" to me but not even close to "spectacular/great/must play". maybe i'm just burnt out of halo or something, although i've enjoyed every iteration of it thus far.
by far the best and smoothest halo I've playerd to date, even from the GUI to in game controls, the response time is instant it all seems seamless to me. I'm not really sure where you are coming from there.. The vehicles do feel different. The banshee was nerfed big time while the ghost handles way better now but flips easier. The details of the grunts is fantastic compared to reach. The lighting is what is a big difference, it is more realistic and doesn't give everything a plastic feel or prior games. Overall the graphics are on a whole other level(read: much better) from the last iterations of halo.

THe online mp i played last night was fantastic as well. Got into games super fast and the games themselves turn over quickly so you can get more time actually playing. Instant respawn is nice. All the new features and changes serve imo to make the game better while still keeping to the halo roots.

Last edited by IceBergSLiM; 11-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #120
Veliko
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBergSLiM View Post
by far the best and smoothest halo I've playerd to date, even from the GUI to in game controls, the response time is instant it all seems seamless to me. I'm not really sure where you are coming from there.. The vehicles do feel different. The banshee was nerfed big time while the ghost handles way better now but flips easier. The details of the grunts is fantastic compared to reach. The lighting is what is a big difference, it is more realistic and doesn't give everything a plastic feel or prior games. Overall the graphics are on a whole other level(read: much better) from the last iterations of halo.

THe online mp i played last night was fantastic as well. Got into games super fast and the games themselves turn over quickly so you can get more time actually playing. Instant respawn is nice. All the new features and changes serve imo to make the game better while still keeping to the halo roots.
The graphics are technically better, but the graphical style has been lost.

The covenant enemies used to be more distinctive, but they're much darker and duller now. The grunts used to be cowardly things who would run away if you shot the elite they were with, whereas now they're just generic shuffling beasts.
Jake

My website of hilarity
Veliko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #121
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veliko View Post

The covenant enemies used to be more distinctive, but they're much darker and duller now. The grunts used to be cowardly things who would run away if you shot the elite they were with, whereas now they're just generic shuffling beasts.
yup that is exactly what i'm talking about as well. forgot how bad/cheap the warthog now sounds compared to how it used to.

i am still enjoying the game greatly, it is just very apparent that this is not a bungie halo game. and i'm not saying that is bad or anything by any means. i definitely welcome the faster pace of this iteration.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #122
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:

grunts will still run if you kill an elite quickly. I notice that all the time.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #123
Veliko
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
grunts will still run if you kill an elite quickly. I notice that all the time.
Probably, but you'd not really notice it if you didn't already know they did it.

The grunts just seem completely pointless now.
Jake

My website of hilarity
Veliko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #124
TecHNooB
Diamond Member

Quote:
Probably, but you'd not really notice it if you didn't already know they did it.

The grunts just seem completely pointless now.
they werent pointless before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmanahan View Post
smoblikat you fool, you fell victim to one of the classic blunders! the most famous of which is "never post your actual pay in an ATOT brag thread", but only slightly less well known is this: "never post your actual pay when alkemyst is online!!" hahahahaha
TecHNooB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #125
hans030390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post

I'm only 3 levels in so far, but it feels more like the original Halo to me than the others. At least, it brings back that feeling of a new, alien place to explore. Even though, yes, a lot is still fairly similar to previous games (art style wise).

I haven't noticed the game not feeling smooth...hmm. I might know what you mean, though. I'll have to go back and look at the animations, as I didn't notice those looking off. Maybe the frame rate isn't as steady? Other graphical and post-processing effects causing these perceived issues? The new visuals would be my guess. Maybe some other things here and there. I do get the feeling that they tried to make the game play a bit more like you're a super soldier in a crazy armored suit. Slightly heftier feel, maybe? Again, this might be a visual trick. Either way, so far so good on my end. I'll be keeping an eye out for what you mentioned, though.

I believe the Covenant in this game are like a splinter faction, hence the darker/drabber gear and different language. I think I remember reading this somewhere.

The banshee does drive strangely. In many ways, it feels more predictable and easy to control. But, sometimes, it's a real mess. Might just be rusty or something. All of the other vehicles feel solid, though.

I'm actually a fan of the sounds so far. All of the weapons sound nice and powerful on my sound system. The assault rifle sounds great especially! Actually sounds like it packs a punch for once.

I think a lot of the "lack of charm" is simply because...it's another Halo game. It isn't radically different than the previous ones. I also kind of like the darker, drabber art style this time around. I'm not exactly sure why...I'm just really digging the direction they took the art and the graphics. I can see why some would prefer the older styles, though. Definitely more vibrant.

Anyway, I'm having fun with the game so far!
"What the heck are you gonna do if you're on a picnic and have an ice cream, and the ants crawl on the ice cream? What are you gonna do? You're gonna eat the ants, because it's made out of protein. For your health!" - Dr. Steve Brule
hans030390 is offline   Reply With Quote