Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #26
IronWing
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 34,151
Default

This thread looks an awful lot like a "I guess Obama is going to win so I better distance myself from the loser" thread.
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
JEDIYoda
Lifer
 
JEDIYoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Israeli side
Posts: 21,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
That is because there was a lot of fraud to take him out and the media was incredibly biased against him.

Did you not see what happened to the Ron Paul Maine delegates who were kicked out and it was scripted
ahhh...playing the fraud card....Ron who??
__________________
JohnOfSheffield -- That said, Palestine will exist when they understand that Israel exists, it's that blatantly simple!
JEDIYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
This thread looks an awful lot like a "I guess Obama is going to win so I better distance myself from the loser" thread.
Where have I ever supported romney? I have always been against romney but its just easier to make up lies
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #29
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,762
Default

I followed the primaries very closely. Ron Paul consistently polled the worst of the candidates in nearly every state.

If there was fraud, it had no effect on the outcome. Paul lost because he's not really a Republican, and he doesn't stand for what most Republicans stand for today.
__________________
"Of those who say nothing, few are silent." -- Thomas Neill
Charles Kozierok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member
 
EagleKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bumps west of Denver
Posts: 42,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
Ron Paul lost the primaries because most Republicans don't like what he stands for. The rest is noise.
There was fraud to take him out and the media was doing whatever it took to get him out
Not enough to get past the noise for what ever fraud is being accused.

His level with the caucuses was similar to the primaries. 5-7%

That is not the person/positions that the majority of the voting public want.
If he was pulling 30-40% in a primary and then shows 10-15% in a caucus, then their may be a gripe.

He either is not going to convince

or

the message is flawed.

Running a lame horse in a race is not going to win the trophy just because your horse has a pretty jockey.
__________________
F15 Air Superiority Fighter - Never has one been lost in aerial combat (104 kills)
EagleKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #31
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
The idea that the media wouldn't LOVE Ron Paul to be in the race is laughable.

That guy in the spotlight would sell a lot of papers and have people tuning in all the time.

If the media could make it happen, they would.
The media is an extension of the interests that control it. Selling papers and commercial spots pales in comparison to their overall corporate interests.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #32
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
The media is an extension of the interests that control it. Selling papers and commercial spots pales in comparison to their overall corporate interests.
This. Corporations run this country and Ron Paul is against that so they will ignore him, cant have the people think for themselves

Why is it so hard for people to understand what you just said?
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #33
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
The media is an extension of the interests that control it. Selling papers and commercial spots pales in comparison to their overall corporate interests.
So it's "overall corporate interests" that caused Paul to be outvoted by a huge margin?

And let's not forget that "corporate interests" is a big part of the modern GOP.
__________________
"Of those who say nothing, few are silent." -- Thomas Neill
Charles Kozierok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
Londo_Jowo
Lifer
 
Londo_Jowo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 13,575
Default

I knew Ron Paul was in trouble when he was only polling 10% - 15% in the Congressional district he had held for 11 years.
Londo_Jowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #35
mafia
Golden Member
 
mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,513
Default

Vote for Gary Johnson if you like RP. GJ is on all the ballots.
__________________
“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” -Jeremy Clarkson
"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #36
airdata
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
I agree with what your saying but why is it that so many Americans dont believe this, they constantly fall for the lies and believe whatever is told to them
That's how our system works.

Ron Paul was the only candidate this election cycle talking about real issues. Everybody else is talking about cooked up unemployment numbers and the usual stuff.

All of his haters try to say he's crazy and then when other candidates use his ideas they're not crazy. You know, the usual P&N flip flop routine.
__________________
Check for reply next week in case I'm banned.

1JYdDv2YHXthtLjEiwtLSW9LjsN4ehQjkc
airdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #37
bfdd
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,315
Default

While I like Ron Paul, he doesn't believe in evictionism and ignores the voluntary agreement women make with the child to carry it. Because of this he would never get my vote. I think he's pretty spot on about some things and it comes out as a harsh reality, but reality is harsh it seems most have forgotten that. I just got back from casting my ballot for Gary Johnson, I believe he's more in line with myself than I am with Dr. Paul.
bfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #38
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
So it's "overall corporate interests" that caused Paul to be outvoted by a huge margin?

And let's not forget that "corporate interests" is a big part of the modern GOP.
I was talking specifically about media coverage. They will lean and favorably cover the candidate best for business.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #39
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdd View Post
While I like Ron Paul, he doesn't believe in evictionism and ignores the voluntary agreement women make with the child to carry it. Because of this he would never get my vote. I think he's pretty spot on about some things and it comes out as a harsh reality, but reality is harsh it seems most have forgotten that. I just got back from casting my ballot for Gary Johnson, I believe he's more in line with myself than I am with Dr. Paul.
He skirts around it by believing its a state's rights issue though, but yes you are right about his personal views.

I'll also be voting Gary Johnson because the vote will go towards a larger percentage than writing in Ron Paul, hopefully he gets a good percentage to get the message out.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #40
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
He skirts around it by believing its a state's rights issue though, but yes you are right about his personal views.

I'll also be voting Gary Johnson because the vote will go towards a larger percentage than writing in Ron Paul, hopefully he gets a good percentage to get the message out.
I agree that its a good idea to vote for Gary Johnson since it takes away votes from the two party dictatorship

But Ron Paul should have been the nominee though
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
bfdd
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
He skirts around it by believing its a state's rights issue though, but yes you are right about his personal views.

I'll also be voting Gary Johnson because the vote will go towards a larger percentage than writing in Ron Paul, hopefully he gets a good percentage to get the message out.
If Ron Paul and I were more in line I would write him in even if it wouldn't "count". I realize he cops out to it being a state issue, but the constitution doesn't just leave things up to the states. It also says the powers to be reserved by the people. Some of these things not even the State should have say in, let alone the Federal government. Problem is people are to scurried of being responsible for themselves or they are to scurried to trust others not blowing up the world around them so they skip that shit.
bfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #42
bfdd
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
This thread looks an awful lot like a "I guess Obama is going to win so I better distance myself from the loser" thread.
Has Incorruptible backed Romney at all? I thought he was a Ron Paul guy for awhile.
bfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #43
Incorruptible
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdd View Post
Has Incorruptible backed Romney at all? I thought he was a Ron Paul guy for awhile.
Thats the point, I never supported romney and I was for Ron Paul from the start. But people will remain ignorant
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
I was talking specifically about media coverage. They will lean and favorably cover the candidate best for business.
Paul got a ton of favorable coverage during the primaries despite having zero chance of winning.
__________________
"Of those who say nothing, few are silent." -- Thomas Neill
Charles Kozierok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #45
LegendKiller
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
This. Corporations run this country and Ron Paul is against that so they will ignore him, cant have the people think for themselves

Why is it so hard for people to understand what you just said?
Sorry, but most people understand that getting rid of the 14th amendment or setting abortion back to the states or going to one SSBN for "national defense" or going to a gold standard, is a bad thing. Perhaps not the last that much but certainly the first few.

Ron Paul's ideas are 18th century libertopianism, plain and simple. They anchor thinking into believing that the 18th century was the apex of society and that we should not adapt our country for global change.

That does not resonate with the country. He does not resonate with the country. He is a fringe candidate, just like his followers.
LegendKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #46
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,614
Default

America is too stupid to pick someone that has common sense.

Also, many people know that it will take a REAL struggle to get this country on the right page, struggle NO ONE wants to endure.
Vdubchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #47
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
This thread looks an awful lot like a "I guess Obama is going to win so I better distance myself from the loser" thread.
Looks a lot more like a "I don't know who the OP is or who he has supported but I'm going to take a shot in the dark here".

Lol.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
Paul got a ton of favorable coverage during the primaries despite having zero chance of winning.
Even Jonny Stewart commented on the media blackout of Paul. No need to try and rewrite history for someone who already has lost.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #49
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
Even Jonny Stewart commented on the media blackout of Paul. No need to try and rewrite history for someone who already has lost.
Only thing I could find was something related to the straw poll last August. Not too relevant.

I'm not "rewriting history", I'm sharing my experiences from closely watching the primaries. Believe what you wish.
__________________
"Of those who say nothing, few are silent." -- Thomas Neill
Charles Kozierok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #50
bfdd
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKiller View Post
Sorry, but most people understand that getting rid of the 14th amendment or setting abortion back to the states or going to one SSBN for "national defense" or going to a gold standard, is a bad thing. Perhaps not the last that much but certainly the first few.

Ron Paul's ideas are 18th century libertopianism, plain and simple. They anchor thinking into believing that the 18th century was the apex of society and that we should not adapt our country for global change.

That does not resonate with the country. He does not resonate with the country. He is a fringe candidate, just like his followers.
That's the thing I brought up. How come people ignore the 10th amendment? Powers not granted to the Feds aren't just those reserved to the States they can also be just powers of the people. I also disagree with you about utopianism. Most of the people that think this way know it's not possible and we see struggling against it through force and coercive control over people as worse.

What resonates with the country is the nanny state, some huge unaccountable entitled that will take care of them when all goes wrong. People,e have substituted God for Government and that is the mainstream trait of people here in the USA. Your God is not mine.
bfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.