· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #476
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
so whats the deal with the cross realm zones. ive heard people talk about them but how the F do they work, is its just there all the time?
I understand the gist of it, but not all the technicalities of it. Essentially, if your server doesn't have enough people in a zone (not sure how it determines this), it puts you with people from other server(s). I don't know if it puts you into a separate instance or if it uses phasing combined with another server's zone so you are effectively playing on another server. I'd probably go with the latter.
Aikouka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #477
Xonim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
so whats the deal with the cross realm zones. ive heard people talk about them but how the F do they work, is its just there all the time?

totally confused and in the dark about this
Essentially, yes. There's a population threshold of some sort set by Blizzard, and they enable/disable them based on that. For the most part, CRZ is active everywhere in the old world / outlands / wotlk / cata zones, with the exceptions being stormwind and orgrimmar. They're active in Ironforge, for example. For now, they're still disabled in Pandaria.

Quote:
herbing and mining make a f ton of money if you dont plan on using the mats, its the only reason i leveled a DK in wrath - faster flying - dual gathering, just raked in the gold
They can, but it's sorta worth it sorta not. Ghost iron is so abundant that the prices on that tanked. Herbalism is still decent, with everything being 75g/stack or more on my server, but some is just plain old hard to farm. The real moneymakers are the older stuff, namely dreamfoil and mountain silversage, but zone realignment plus CRZ made those difficult, hence the absurd prices.

Quote:
if you have a high enough lvl enchanter, stop selling the greens/blues you get from everything, DE them all and sell the mats
Check your local server first. To get a stack of dust, it's likely to take 5 items on average. If they vendor for an average of 10g, which is probably on the low side, that's 50g per stack of dust. Dust only sells for 30g/stack on my server. I'm better off vendoring.
Xonim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #478
tHa ShIzNiT
Golden Member

unfortunately due to the insane amount of people on illidan many of those gold making ideas wont work for me. the profit margins are extremely slim on my server with crazy amounts of undercutting.

but there are some good ideas in there that i can capitalize on. I think i'm gonna use alt-leveling as my main income source. I used to do that in the old days and it worked well. Thanks for that one. And with 7 85's on deck, I'll be busy for a while!
tHa ShIzNiT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #479
gothuevos

How hard are the challenge modes? Just barely got to 90 and keep hearing varying reports of how difficult they are. Would love to finish them as the xmog sets they reward look absolutely amazing.
gothuevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #480
Phoenix86
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
anybody? This is a daily, 80 valor to be had.
You have to switch the dungeon mode to challenge mode before you enter like you would when switching to heroic (requires you to fly to the instance portal). Challenge mode is a timed event, like 15 minutes for gold, 25 for silver, 45 for bronze. I think you just need bronze for the daily but don't quote me on that. While in the instance, nothing drops loot. The goal of the challenge modes is to compete with other people for time and get a special transmog set for your class.

edit: the orb is at the start of the dungeon, it starts the timer. Also, gear is scaled so going in with raid level gear doesn't make it trivial.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #481
Phoenix86
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothuevos View Post
How hard are the challenge modes? Just barely got to 90 and keep hearing varying reports of how difficult they are. Would love to finish them as the xmog sets they reward look absolutely amazing.
Bronze is easy, silver is hard but do-able with a good group/communication, gold is pretty epic. Gold requires you to pull whole rooms and take extra mobs to the boss and finish them down while you are killing him. The times are pretty strict.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #482
tHa ShIzNiT
Golden Member

can you get the cool xmog gear with bronze? or does it require gold? yeah, I could do my own research but while i'm here...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #483
tHa ShIzNiT
Golden Member

hmm. it appears to require gold. i guess the other ratings aint good for anything...
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #484
lupi
Lifer

for cross realm stuff, all non pand non-city zones are now instanced into a single zone for a certain amount of realms (if the zone in your realm was naturally at a certain population level it would be excluded from the cross realm merge). haven't bothered to read up on it if it's all of a battlegroup together or just some realms within a group.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite
lupi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #485
Phoenix86
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHa ShIzNiT View Post
hmm. it appears to require gold. i guess the other ratings aint good for anything...
Silver gets a phoenix egg for the mount.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=90045
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #486
Hacp
Lifer

Good post about making money. I'm a LW/Skinner and here's how I make money.

1. Farm turtles in the serpent cloud area. I make 100g per stack on turtle meat, 50 gold a stack on exotic leather and 300 gold a stack on prismatic shard. One hour of farming usually nets me:

3 stacks of turtle meat-300 gold
2 stacks of prismatic shards- 600 gold
5 stacks of exotic leather.-250 gold
5 motes of harmony-500 gold

2. As I hinted earlier, I sell spirits of harmony for 1k gold each. I have yet to fail on selling them for less than 1k.

3. Look for lower level leathers! Light leathers go for 30 gold a stack on my server. Rugged for 120! Sometimes, I will zone into Dire Maul north, farm the hounds in the pit, reset five times,and leave with 6 stacks in 15 minutes. That's 720 gold for 15 minutes of your time. You can also do this in the caverns of time instance for knothide leather.

4. Have alts in org ready to sign guild charters. They go for 100 gold a sig on my server, some days I'll have signed 7 or 8 charters.

Last edited by Hacp; 11-05-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Hacp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #487
KidNiki1
Platinum Member

best money making for me right now is farming. like, planting the cooking mats.

and also fishing.

fishing takes a bit more time, but the fish are selling for a poopton of gold.

farming is a super easy way to make gold tho. I have one level 90, and have only the 12 plots atm. that is at least 60 of any one type of cooking material. plus, i walked all 4 of my level 85 alts to halfhill and even though they only have 4 plots, thats still an extra 80 (or more) mats a day, for about 10 minutes of work. the hardest part of that is logging in and out on 5 toons.

Be excellent to each other - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
KidNiki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #488
Hacp
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonim View Post
Wow, really?! The decks are selling for 35k, and the finished trinkets for 40k on my server. Jeeze! I spent about 24k on all the cards for mine, had I waited a day and known that a couple people were going to undercut massively (the ace and four are pretty rare on my server, lots of people spamming /trade missing only those two, I spent 8750 on those two alone), I could have done it for under 20. Ahh well.
I spent 18k for my cranes deck. Three times. Sold the first one for 26k. Second for 25k. Now I think I'll use the 3rd one .

Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #489
diesbudt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
anybody? This is a daily, 80 valor to be had.

You go into the dungeon with 5 people. (Cannot que for it, aka heroic LFD que).

Make sure setting is "Challenge mode"

Touching the orb starts the mode/timer.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #490
tHa ShIzNiT
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidNiki1 View Post
best money making for me right now is farming. like, planting the cooking mats.

and also fishing.

fishing takes a bit more time, but the fish are selling for a poopton of gold.

farming is a super easy way to make gold tho. I have one level 90, and have only the 12 plots atm. that is at least 60 of any one type of cooking material. plus, i walked all 4 of my level 85 alts to halfhill and even though they only have 4 plots, thats still an extra 80 (or more) mats a day, for about 10 minutes of work. the hardest part of that is logging in and out on 5 toons.
good call man. I should be kicking myself for not doing this yet. My alts are all parked at the darkmoon faire right now to get those pesky pets, but I'll be moving them to halfhill when its over.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #491
Sixguns
Platinum Member

Almost exalted with Golden Lotus only 5 more days and then there will be much rejoicing!

Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #492
Xonim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixguns View Post
Almost exalted with Golden Lotus only 5 more days and then there will be much rejoicing!
Just in time to rest a week or two before the two new factions in 5.1
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #493
Hacp
Lifer

Quote:
Just in time to rest a week or two before the two new factions in 5.1
That's the problem with dailies roadblocking gear. It is never satisfying. Nothing gets accomplished, the experience is just the same quest over and over. There is no new content being experienced. Once people realize this they'll unsubscribe.

Speaking of new content, I think Blizzard's current model in MOP works only if they release new raids every 6-8 weeks. The culprit is LFR. The allure of Raids and progression is what made WoW as appealing as it is. You needed a competent group of people and a good set of gear to experience the content. Heck, even normal modes in WOTLK and Cataclysm were somewhat of a challenge, and a large amount of people never experienced the later tiers until they were one or two tiers behind.

With LFR, any pug can beat the game, no coordination required. They experience the content and the gear becomes meaningless afterwards. Yes there are normal and hard modes, but there is no new content in there. What's the point of getting a piece of gear if you've already beaten illidan, albeit on easy mode?

That's why they need to release raids on a tight schedule or else there will be a mass exodus. New raids means more content, which means people will keep subscribing. Am I saying LFR is bad? Well sorta. I like it because it allows me to beat the game without spending months of /played, but I think it is a bad business model to follow.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #494
diesbudt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacp View Post
That's the problem with dailies roadblocking gear. It is never satisfying. Nothing gets accomplished, the experience is just the same quest over and over. There is no new content being experienced. Once people realize this they'll unsubscribe.

Speaking of new content, I think Blizzard's current model in MOP works only if they release new raids every 6-8 weeks. The culprit is LFR. The allure of Raids and progression is what made WoW as appealing as it is. You needed a competent group of people and a good set of gear to experience the content. Heck, even normal modes in WOTLK and Cataclysm were somewhat of a challenge, and a large amount of people never experienced the later tiers until they were one or two tiers behind.

With LFR, any pug can beat the game, no coordination required. They experience the content and the gear becomes meaningless afterwards. Yes there are normal and hard modes, but there is no new content in there. What's the point of getting a piece of gear if you've already beaten illidan, albeit on easy mode?

That's why they need to release raids on a tight schedule or else there will be a mass exodus. New raids means more content, which means people will keep subscribing. Am I saying LFR is bad? Well sorta. I like it because it allows me to beat the game without spending months of /played, but I think it is a bad business model to follow.

Beyond Ulduar in first few weeks, normal modes in wotlk were NOT challenging.

In Cata, normal modes were just slightly difficult. The difficulty of this expansion was set solely on heroic modes.

What is the point of gear in general? People who finally realize this grow out of MMOs. Because a carrot must always be on teh stick to enticepeople, and the carrot must stay updated/fresh.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #495
Xonim

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesbudt View Post
Because a carrot must always be on teh stick to enticepeople, and the carrot must stay updated/fresh.
This. But only to an extent.

Until tomorrow when I start MV normals with my guild, I haven't raided since SSC/TK were hard. I didn't really care about the gear so much. I mean, yeah, when the ICC 5mans or HoT heroics came out, I'd always gear my mage plus whatever alt I felt like playing at the time. But it was because I enjoyed running the heroics. As soon as they ceased to be fun, whether I was fully geared through that tier or not, I stopped and unsubbed until the next content patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacp
I see your point, but I think your focus on dailies is misplaced. I'm in agreeance with the blue posts that went up on mmo-champion today or yesterday or day before. Nobody MAKES you do dailies. It's not like you need to grind GL exalted to gain attunement for the LFR or normal versions MV. Dailies are there as an option to supplement your "good enough" gear if you so choose.

You can gear through dailies and VP pieces, you can gear through heroics, you can gear through LFR, or you can gear heroics then normal raids then heroic raids. There are options, and any one of them is enough to gear you for LFR or normal raids or nothing at all if you want to. Just because someone decides that dailies are the be-all/end-all for gear for themselves, doesn't mean that the game is crap and Blizz is going to bleed subs and anyone still playing is an idiot.

Besides, dailies aren't even really that necessary. Yes, Golden lotus requires a couple or few days to hit honored. If you can't spare a couple days of dailies, what are you doing playing an MMO? You can hit honored with ShadoPan and Klaxxi from quests alone in the appropriate zone (as a guilded human at least, don't know about otherwise), and the pieces on the AC vendor aren't anything major so who cares if you get to it. Sure, there's rep items at revered, but they're not necessary. VP gear is a supplement, and the pieces at honored supplement just fine.

The only people I've seen dislike this expansion are the people that are upset that they actually have to DO something to get purples. My hope is that it weeds out a lot of the scrubs, because they're everywhere now

Not calling you a scrub, just sayin'!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #496
Hacp
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesbudt View Post
Beyond Ulduar in first few weeks, normal modes in wotlk were NOT challenging.
I already stated what challenging meant to me. The numbers don't lie, a large portion of the population didn't get to even complete normal modes in WOTLK until a tier later.

Quote:
What is the point of gear in general? People who finally realize this grow out of MMOs. Because a carrot must always be on teh stick to enticepeople, and the carrot must stay updated/fresh.
I feel as if you are not reading before typing. The point of gearing up is to upgrade your character in order to raid.

Last edited by Hacp; 11-06-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #497
Hacp
Lifer

Quote:
I see your point, but I think your focus on dailies is misplaced. I'm in agreeance with the blue posts that went up on mmo-champion today or yesterday or day before. Nobody MAKES you do dailies. It's not like you need to grind GL exalted to gain attunement for the LFR or normal versions MV. Dailies are there as an option to supplement your "good enough" gear if you so choose.
I think you completely missed my point. It feels as if you are barely reading and just blatantly typing for no reason at all . I'll reiterate. Blizzard put in the daily wall in order to compensate for LFR. Dailies gives people a reason to grind every day for a piece of better gear, despite the fact that they've already seen the content with LFR!

Once people realize that getting better gear is pointless because one, the raid content has already been experienced, and two, a large portion of them don't have the coordination to run even normals let alone heroics so the gear is pointless, they'll start to leave.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #498
Adrenaline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacp View Post
I already stated what challenging meant to me. The numbers don't lie, a large portion of the population didn't get to even complete normal modes in WOTLK until a tier later.

I feel as if you are not reading before typing. The point of gearing up is to upgrade your character in order to raid.
People that could not clear WOTLK content when it was current on normal were AWFUL. There is no other way to put it.

WOTLK
Naxx cleared in the first week or two (can't remember this one)
Obsidium Sanctum cleared in the first week
The Nexus cleared in the third week (we had some idiots that would not listen, they were replaced)

Ulduar cleared in two to three weeks (can't remember this also)

I stopped playing for 15 months after Ulduar as I thought it sucked, still do to this day, and it was not challenging at all. (I am in the minority of thinking Ulduar sucked, I just did not like the place.)

I heard ToC was a total joke. When I saw it the first time, it sure was even for me lacking full Ulduar gear.

ICC, I have never killed LK. I never cared to as the previous tiers were extremely easy.

Last edited by Adrenaline; 11-06-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #499
Anubis
No Lifer

TBH i find the daily grind annoying, i liked how it was in Cata with tabards and running heroics. i thought that system worked well, as you coudl work for gear (the heroics) and rep at the same time
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #500
Hacp
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
People that could not clear WOTLK content when it was current on normal were AWFUL. There is no other way to put it.
I agree that there was a large amount of WoW players that had difficulties in coordinating a raid to beat the normal content in WOTLK.

As I stated earlier, these are the people who will unsub once they realize that the rep grind is meaningless for them. Dailies and the rep grind was put in place to keep these people interested with the allure of getting leet gear, because LFR ruined the allure of seeing new content. They will soon realize that the leet gear they have is meaningless, except to get past the ilvl requirements for the next LFR raid.

Quote:
WOTLK
Naxx cleared in the first week or two (can't remember this one)
Obsidium Sanctum cleared in the first week
The Nexus cleared in the third week (we had some idiots that would not listen, they were replaced)
Ulduar cleared in two to three weeks (can't remember this also)
Congrats on your accomplishments. I commend you.