· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #126
Shortcut
Golden Member

Very impressed with the note 2 so far. Not laggy at all and the screen size is fantastic. My old iPhone 4 looks like a toy compared to this.
Shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #127
preslove
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
They obviously want to milk you for service. The phone itself is locked to tmobile and actually they can control what kind of SIM you use. They know if you put a prepaid SIM in and can deny service, mine just did.

Actually, if I dig around on the web I bet I can find a way to unlock this thing.
You tried t-mobile's $30 service? Straight talk should probably still work, if the problem is that the phone is locked.
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #128
Oyeve
Lifer

I'm thinking about selling a few phones to get this one. Very interested in it.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #129
LucJoe
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preslove View Post
You tried t-mobile's $30 service? Straight talk should probably still work, if the problem is that the phone is locked.
Pretty sure that was an early post. He got it working. The sim just wasn't seated properly or something.

I'm using it on the $30 plan without a problem. They even activated the plan for me in a T-Mobile store, which apparently is rare.
LucJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #130
maniac5999

at this point you can order a Note 2 specifically for the $30 plan: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...nnual-Contract Unfortunately, most T-mo stores still won't sell you a Note off contract, I've tried three without luck.
T-Mo Galaxy Note II 16GB, 64GB uSD
Only an idiot thinks he knows everything, the wise man knows that he is ignorant.
maniac5999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #131
Kanalua
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac5999 View Post
at this point you can order a Note 2 specifically for the $30 plan: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...nnual-Contract Unfortunately, most T-mo stores still won't sell you a Note off contract, I've tried three without luck.
Yup. Had to get here: http://www8.samsclub.com/eCommerce/S...9029657e2c351c
Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #132
maniac5999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanalua View Post
Uck, that's $100 more than direct from T-mo

EDIT:I've gotten frustrated with the real stores, and getting it direct from walmart (where I can activate it with the plan I want) is hopeless. I've given in and used that mail order link, and I should have a new note by the end of the week.
Only an idiot thinks he knows everything, the wise man knows that he is ignorant.

Last edited by maniac5999; 11-04-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #133
Infrnl
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac5999 View Post
I guess it depends on location. I went to 2 stores a week ago and they both said they would sell to me off contract.
I just decided for my needs it would be better in the end to do the value plan contract. If need be I will just pay the etf's. I didn't want to hassle the work arounds for the $30 prepaid plan.

Last edited by Infrnl; 11-05-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Infrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #134
maniac5999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrnl View Post
I guess it depends on location. I went to 2 stores a week ago and they both said they would sell to me off contract.
I just decided for my needs it would be better in the end to do the value plan contract. If need be I will just pay the etf's. I didn't want to hassle the work arounds for the $30 prepaid plan.
Oh, both stores I went to initially told me they could too. When I broke out my plastic is when they both backed out.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #135
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

What is the difference between the $650 full price note 2 from t-mobile and this "factory unlocked" version on amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...eywords=note+2

Is there something about the t-mobile version that makes it "locked"? Could you use the t-mobile version other prepaid providers that use hspa+, or is it really locked in some way?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #136
Sid59
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post
What is the difference between the $650 full price note 2 from t-mobile and this "factory unlocked" version on amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...eywords=note+2

Is there something about the t-mobile version that makes it "locked"? Could you use the t-mobile version other prepaid providers that use hspa+, or is it really locked in some way?
You'll have to compare the radios/frequency on the amazon version to see if it's compatible with tmobile's network.
Sid59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #137
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid59 View Post
You'll have to compare the radios/frequency on the amazon version to see if it's compatible with tmobile's network.
I was aking from the other direction. The T-mobile site has the phone cheaper, so it would be the logic choice to buy from... I'm just wondering if the "factory unlocked" aspect of the amazon listing actually amounts to anything useful.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #138
Infrnl
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiropteran View Post
I was aking from the other direction. The T-mobile site has the phone cheaper, so it would be the logic choice to buy from... I'm just wondering if the "factory unlocked" aspect of the amazon listing actually amounts to anything useful.
Tmobile phone will only work on tmobile and att along with st. It will support lte supposedly.

Amazon unlocked doesnt supoort lte and does not work with tmobile from what ive read. You would want a us unlocked version but I havent heard of one. Verizon model might be the best option but I do not know what bands it supports.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #139
golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrnl View Post
Tmobile phone will only work on tmobile and att along with st. It will support lte supposedly.

Amazon unlocked doesnt supoort lte and does not work with tmobile from what ive read. You would want a us unlocked version but I havent heard of one. Verizon model might be the best option but I do not know what bands it supports.
Tmobile will only work with Tmobile until you get it unlocked. Once you do, it will work on ATT frequencies but not on their LTE.

Amazon unlocked will will on ATT and Tmo for voice, but only HSPA on ATT ( I don't think ATT have a HSPA+ network?) It will be edge on Tmo, unless you live in a city where Tmo has refarmed it bands to match ATT. I believe there are currently only 2 cities that have gone through this process, but there are parts of other cities that will have been refarmed. It's supposed to be fully done by the end of 2013.

The Tmobile phone is supposed to have the hardwear to use LTE, it's just "turned off" somehow for now.
golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #140
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

Googled and supposedly t-mobile will give you the code to unlock if you buy the phone outright. No reason to buy from amazon then, IMO.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #141
you2
Diamond Member

How is reception on the note ii compared to other phones ?
you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #142
Nahtzee

What I dont understand about this is how exactly large the phone is. What do you use that screen size for? You need that large of a real-estate for basic media consumption? The stylus is nice, but you can get a stylus for any smartphone. How is it not awkward when holding it in your hand?

I demo'd it at a store and I couldn't hold it (maybe im small)
Nahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #143
golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahtzee View Post
What I dont understand about this is how exactly large the phone is. What do you use that screen size for? You need that large of a real-estate for basic media consumption? The stylus is nice, but you can get a stylus for any smartphone. How is it not awkward when holding it in your hand?

Treat it like a small tablet. I ordered one and I don't plan on putting it up to my head to make calls. Will use headphones for that.
golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #144
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:

typing, pic editing, spreadsheets.

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #145
dougp
Diamond Member

Quote:

You've held it in person, but you don't understand how exactly large the phone is? And, why else would you get a 5.5" screen - media consumption is good, as well is browsing and playing games. There's a reason why this phone style is called a phablet - a cross between a phone and a tablet.

And about the stylus, but no, you cannot get a stylus like this for any device. The amount of reference points available are much higher since it was designed for the screen, compared to a generic capacitive stylus which is very bulbous and as accurate as your own finger.
dougp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #146
Chiropteran
Diamond Member

I bought one today. Should arrive tomorrow. Pricey, and I don't *need* a new phone, but I'm calling it a treat to reward myself for switching from Verizon. Also this gives me a spare phone, so I can lend one to my fiancee to convince her that t-mobile service is fine.

Besides, a $650 phone +$30/month service is still cheaper than a $199 subsidized phone and $100/month service after a mere 7 months.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #147
Dice144

Hope an extended battery comes out for the phone. I know it has a bigger battery then most phones but I want insanely stupid long battery life!
MSI 290X
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Dice144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #148
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice144 View Post
Hope an extended battery comes out for the phone. I know it has a bigger battery then most phones but I want insanely stupid long battery life!
Like I said I been going almost two whole days, for a modern hi-end smartphone thats damn good.
Only my moms Blackberry does better.

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #149
Dice144

I have the ATT Note2 in route (hopefully). Would rather have days. Maybe someday
MSI 290X
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Dice144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #150
dougp
Diamond Member

My wife ordered mine for me today - the lowest she was able to get AT&T to was $274 and no activation fee (since we're Premier as well as that Premier Premium or whatever it is that's being trialed in Houston.)

I'd expect an extended battery, as Seidio has one for the original Note as well. They're not far from my house, maybe I can convince them to sell me one on the cheap if I do a review. Hmm ...
dougp is online now   Reply With Quote