· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
FileNoob

Default eSATA port maxing out a 8MB/sec?

Just bought a g-technology 1TB external hard drive to use on my Gateway Notebook P-6831FX that uses Windows Vista SP1. I bought the G-Drive that has USB 2.0, Firewire 800, and eSATA ports as my notebook is too old to have USB 3 ports on it. I hooked it up to my only eSATA port and expected it would fly as I recorded audio. To my surprise, it started "chugging" along (it actually accessed data once every second so it made a "chug"..."chug"..."chug" sound each time). This caused my recording to skip and pause and all kinds of issues.

So I started to run some benchmarks to see what was what. The first one I ran was just a simply read speed benchmark called Roadkil's Disk Speed Version 2.0. After running the test I was shocked to see that my Max Read Speed came in at 8.3MB/sec!!! I then attempted to run CrystalDiskMark and after an hour of hearing it "chug" while it was only preparing to start the test, I forced it to shut down. Just for the heck of it, I decided to shut down and switch to USB 2.0 and give that a whirl. This was running as expected and gave me a 33.1MB/sec max read speed, and I was able to work on my recording without fail. So yes, this is all well and good, but I purchased this drive for use with eSATA speeds, not USB 2.0.

I've updated my BIOS to the latest version available and updated all of the drivers that I could find to the latest as well. No change at all. I am at a loss as to what could be causing this issue but did find one questionable setting in my Device Manager. Under the Silicon Image Sil 3531 SATA Controller, it listed the following Device Info (besides the normal "Hard Drive" and other basic info):

ATA Version: ATA/ATAPI-8
Current Transfer Mode: Programmed I/O mode 0
Device Link Speed: Generation 2 (3.0 Gb/s)

Am I reading this correctly in that it says even though it sees it is a SATA II drive, it is running in PIO mode 0??? If that is in fact the case, anyone know how to get it to read something a little more on par with a SATA II drive?

If that's not the problem, anyone have any ideas to try here?
FileNoob is offline   Reply With Quote