· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Compman55

Default What can't Windows 7 do that Windows 8 can?

If there is a link that will simplify that would be ok too. Just would like to know what windows 7 can't do that would justify me converting all my systems over.

XP is no longer usable as a main OS. Although it does have its purpose still. And I still respect it.
-Server: G2020 | 8GB | 500GB WD Black (OS)| 2x Seagate 4TB | 2x Segate 2TB |
Compman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Secure boot, free xbox music streaming, integration of your contacts into a "people app" which collects all your contacts from email, gmail, hotmail, google+, facebook etc and puts them all in one convenient place so when you want to contact someone click their name and you can hop right to the messaging app and send a message or email This makes it a little bit easier to keep in contact with everyone.

More under the hood things here http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-of-windows-8/
cmdrdredd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
IamDavid
Diamond Member

App store. Single reason why win8 will succeed.
IamDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
cmdrdredd
Lifer

The app store is more or less useless on the desktop since most things are designed for touch and most of the useful stuff has a desktop version anyway, but I see your point.
cmdrdredd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
IamDavid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
The app store is more or less useless on the desktop since most things are designed for touch and most of the useful stuff has a desktop version anyway, but I see your point.
My kids absolutely love it. Simplifies everything down so far my 65 year old mother now installs her own apps. No touch screen on any of the 3 machines they use. 2laptops, 1pc.
It does look like an IT managers nightmare! How to restrict? Gonna be interesting.
IamDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Windows 8 vs Windows 7

Metro interface and touch

Windows Store and Apps

Better security, cloud integration, better task manager.

Faster to boot and faster Desktop Mode.

Edit - Storage Spaces too.

Last edited by JackMDS; 11-05-2012 at 09:22 AM.
JackMDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
zerocool84
Lifer

I use W8 mainly for the better security features.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
QueBert
Lifer

It has fast boot or whatever it's call, I hardly ever reboot so it's kind of pointless to me. But pressing the power button and having your desktop up and ready to use in just a few seconds is pretty damn impressive. I do love Pinball FX 2, hopefully they'll put the rest of the tables on the app store, if they do I'll definitely be buying them all. I don't like Metro but Start8 cost $5 so now 95% of what I do's pretty much like using Windows 7. Metro is nice for a few things here and there

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.

Last edited by QueBert; 11-04-2012 at 11:19 PM.
QueBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
Subyman
Platinum Member

Biggest feature for me is storage spaces. Not quite zfs, but getting there.
Intel 120GB SSD | Seasonic 660 Plat | ROG Swift PG278Q
Subyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Tried the new Minesweeper? One word "ADDICTIVE"

I used to spend hours on that game and now they have made it even better + real XBox achievement points in a free game

Win8 FTW!

@Compman55
Personally after the upgrade the system feel like buying a new $40 PC. 9 coverts in my group and no one is regretting. I would describe Win8 as basically Win7 done better and now with an app ecosystem.

I was worried about the "supposedly steep learning curve" as I spend a lot of time on the PC with work but it was all a farce as it took me exactly 5 mins to figure everything out. Just remember the shortcuts Win+X, Win+D, Win+Q and in the desktop mode Alt+4 to bring the shutdown options.

Off the 50+ software installed in my comp, not one has had any compatibility issue. And there are ones that I purchase almost 5 years back and ran with Win XP

Yes, your system will feel faster, my Atom powered netbook now feels like a laptop

Last edited by kirant; 11-05-2012 at 02:50 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
KeypoX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Tried the new Minesweeper? One word "ADDICTIVE"

I used to spend hours on that game and now they have made it even better + real XBox achievement points in a free game

Win8 FTW!

@Compman55
Personally after the upgrade the system feel like buying a new $40 PC. 9 coverts in my group and no one is regretting. I would describe Win8 as basically Win7 done better and now with an app ecosystem.

I was worried about the "supposedly steep learning curve" as I spend a lot of time on the PC with work but it was all a farce as it took me exactly 5 mins to figure everything out. Just remember the shortcuts Win+X, Win+D, Win+Q and in the desktop mode Alt+4 to bring the shutdown options.

Off the 50+ software installed in my comp, not one has had any compatibility issue. And there are ones that I purchase almost 5 years back and ran with Win XP

Yes, your system will feel faster, my Atom powered netbook now feels like a laptop
Is there an equivalent to, windows key, right arrow, space to sleep your computer (after changing default option)?
Im guessing something like Alt + 4, enter might hit the default in that menu? Maybe a down arrow will goto sleep?
KeypoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeypoX View Post
Is there an equivalent to, windows key, right arrow, space to sleep your computer (after changing default option)?
Im guessing something like Alt + 4, enter might hit the default in that menu? Maybe a down arrow will goto sleep?
I would just change the power key on your computer to make it sleep.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator

Everybody and their mother will now have an Xbox live account.
i7-5820k @ 4ghz 1.12v - MSI X99S SLI Plus - Corsair H100i - 16gb Crucial 2133mhz DDR4 - Zotac GTX 980 AMP - 256gb Adata SP900 - 3TB Seagate 7200.14 - Asus Xonar DGX - NZXT Hale82 850w PSU - CM Storm Stryker

i7-2700k - Asrock H61MV-ITX - CM Hyper T2 - 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz DDR3 - Powercolor PCS+ HD 7950 - 80gb X25M Intel SSD - 1TB Seagate SSHD - EVGA 500w PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy Red
Rvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
xSauronx
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDavid View Post
My kids absolutely love it. Simplifies everything down so far my 65 year old mother now installs her own apps. No touch screen on any of the 3 machines they use. 2laptops, 1pc.
It does look like an IT managers nightmare! How to restrict?
group policies. theyre sort of handy for IT management in a windows environment

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-8-enterprise/

Quote:
Microsoft's AppLocker, a feature introduced in Windows 7 and Server 2008, gives IT administrators a way to exercise total control over applications, allowing them to create policies on which applications can be run on an enterprise PC, blocking even executable files that don't usually require elevated privileges to run (including JavaScript and VBScript). AppLocker is largely hidden from the user—at least until he or she tries to install their favorite, non-corporate piece of software.

That sort of capability makes AppLocker a must-have for companies and other organizations looking to totally lock down their desktops and notebooks to limit the avenues of attack for malware. Once a policy is built out, it can be applied through group policies to sets of PCs. You don't need an Active Directory environment to deploy it—you could, in smaller environments, install local security policies on every system.

The only really significant change made to AppLocker in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 is the addition of rules for handling "packaged" apps and their installers—which are specific to Windows 8 in any case. Two more types of files were added to Windows 8's AppLocker control: .mst files used in Windows application installer packages and .appx files used to package Windows 8 Store apps for the Metro environment.

Perhaps the easiest way to get started with AppLocker is to use a reference machine with approved applications installed to automatically create a rules set.

Heatware |
xSauronx is offline   Reply With Quote