Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > PC Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #601
kevinsbane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_ View Post
Snipers are just OP towards the end.

Double-tapping sectopods to death is kind of boring....
Switch to HEAT ammo Heavies that one-shot Sectopods at point blank range. That'll spice up your anti-Sectopod tactics.

The number of Sectopods I killed with HEAT ammo Heavies vs Double Tap snipers was so ridiculously lopsided towards the Heavies in my Classic Ironman game.
kevinsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #602
thespyder
Golden Member
 
thespyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_ View Post
Snipers are just OP towards the end.

Double-tapping sectopods to death is kind of boring....
LOL. My Sniper is also Psi-Ops. She is hands down the most powerful of my entire squad. If she isn't sniping (I took ITZ) for a double kill, she is either mind controlling or mind zapping the aliens. And with an accuracy of 105, she wracks up all of the kills. She has 50% more kills than any other member of my squad, even from those who have been with me longer.

Is anyone else getting the whole "My soldiers are too powerful" towards the end? I set down and don't even take any injuries. Just mop them up. Sure I use tactics and have to heal occasionally, but with Titan armor, anything other than a grave wound is just scar tissue. But then again, I am playing Normal, so I imagine Classic is much harder.
thespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #603
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespyder View Post
LOL. My Sniper is also Psi-Ops. She is hands down the most powerful of my entire squad. If she isn't sniping (I took ITZ) for a double kill, she is either mind controlling or mind zapping the aliens. And with an accuracy of 105, she wracks up all of the kills. She has 50% more kills than any other member of my squad, even from those who have been with me longer.

Is anyone else getting the whole "My soldiers are too powerful" towards the end? I set down and don't even take any injuries. Just mop them up. Sure I use tactics and have to heal occasionally, but with Titan armor, anything other than a grave wound is just scar tissue. But then again, I am playing Normal, so I imagine Classic is much harder.
I OPed my team in Normal. Ghostx5, plus AA on Sniper, everyone has Mind Control and 80+ will. Double shot crits are amazing.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #604
Clinkster
Senior Member
 
Clinkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespyder View Post
LOL. My Sniper is also Psi-Ops. She is hands down the most powerful of my entire squad. If she isn't sniping (I took ITZ) for a double kill, she is either mind controlling or mind zapping the aliens. And with an accuracy of 105, she wracks up all of the kills. She has 50% more kills than any other member of my squad, even from those who have been with me longer.

Is anyone else getting the whole "My soldiers are too powerful" towards the end? I set down and don't even take any injuries. Just mop them up. Sure I use tactics and have to heal occasionally, but with Titan armor, anything other than a grave wound is just scar tissue. But then again, I am playing Normal, so I imagine Classic is much harder.
Normal becomes way too easy once you get the hang of things. A lot of things change when you switch over to classic. For one, I have a much greater appreciation for heavies when I started over in classic. The rocket launchers are invaluable.
__________________
CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.5 || MB: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro || GPU: Nvidia 570 GTX || RAM: Gskill 8 GB || Sound: Asus Xonar D1 || Display: Dell U2412M || 750 GB Samsung EVO & 640 GB WD Caviar Black || PSU: Seasonic Bronze 650W

CPU block: XSPC Raystorm || GPU block: EK-FC570 GTX SE EN+ Nickel/Clear Acrylic || Reservoir: XSPC RX360 || Pump: MCP655-B || Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev. 2
Clinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #605
thespyder
Golden Member
 
thespyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinkster View Post
Normal becomes way too easy once you get the hang of things. A lot of things change when you switch over to classic. For one, I have a much greater appreciation for heavies when I started over in classic. The rocket launchers are invaluable.
Good. I keep wanting my Heavy to be useful, but hardly ever does he do anything. A few times I have done shredder rockets into a mob of aliens, but generally he is only there 'In case' things get bad. And to be honest, they haven't been hairy for a while now. Might actually have to replay on Classic I guess.
thespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #606
ChronoReverse
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,008
Default

Even on Classic and Impossible the game is much much less punishing in the late game compared to the early game. But the cost of messing up is greater.

I actually carry 2 Heavies now because they're your "Get Out of Jail Free" cards. You will sometimes just aggro a larger group than expected and the only possible solution to survive is to explode all the cover with explosions, softening up the aliens and hopefully killing enough that your squad isn't wiped.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #607
thespyder
Golden Member
 
thespyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,977
Default

I guess I remember Apocalypse getting that way as well. Towards the end you just stepped out of the Ranger and smashed the landscape. Scorched earth policy prevented the aliens from mind controlling anyone.
thespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #608
PowerYoga
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,305
Default

I remember lots of blaster launchers near the end of apocalypse...
__________________
Your mouse has moved. Windows will restart to make the necessary changes.
PowerYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #609
kevinsbane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Default

Classic Ironman. Give it a shot.
kevinsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #610
thespyder
Golden Member
 
thespyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,977
Default

I might just have to do that.
thespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #611
Clinkster
Senior Member
 
Clinkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Even on Classic and Impossible the game is much much less punishing in the late game compared to the early game. But the cost of messing up is greater.

I actually carry 2 Heavies now because they're your "Get Out of Jail Free" cards. You will sometimes just aggro a larger group than expected and the only possible solution to survive is to explode all the cover with explosions, softening up the aliens and hopefully killing enough that your squad isn't wiped.
Is there even a reason to detract someone from dragging out the late game until you upgrade all the tech and beef up your dudes? I finished my normal game in a hurry because there's no challenge, but the game is starting to get easier now that I have plasma weapons.
__________________
CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.5 || MB: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro || GPU: Nvidia 570 GTX || RAM: Gskill 8 GB || Sound: Asus Xonar D1 || Display: Dell U2412M || 750 GB Samsung EVO & 640 GB WD Caviar Black || PSU: Seasonic Bronze 650W

CPU block: XSPC Raystorm || GPU block: EK-FC570 GTX SE EN+ Nickel/Clear Acrylic || Reservoir: XSPC RX360 || Pump: MCP655-B || Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev. 2
Clinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #612
thespyder
Golden Member
 
thespyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinkster View Post
Is there even a reason to detract someone from dragging out the late game until you upgrade all the tech and beef up your dudes? I finished my normal game in a hurry because there's no challenge, but the game is starting to get easier now that I have plasma weapons.
I have a squad full of Cols including three maxed out Psi-Ops and Titan armor plus Alloy Guns and Plasma Weapons. I have been dragging it out for the simple reason that I don't want the game to end. But I am thinking of taking the plunge. I hope the end is worth it.
thespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #613
Clinkster
Senior Member
 
Clinkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespyder View Post
I have a squad full of Cols including three maxed out Psi-Ops and Titan armor plus Alloy Guns and Plasma Weapons. I have been dragging it out for the simple reason that I don't want the game to end. But I am thinking of taking the plunge. I hope the end is worth it.
I'm was happy; they kept to their story arch faithfully (aka didn't pull a Mass Effect). After completing the game though, I personally did not feel like starting over. Took me a few weeks before I wanted to plunge into the new difficulty. It's definitely worth it, the challenge makes you rethink your strategy throughout all aspects of the game, and the ways you can succeed/fail/pull-off-the-impossible will bring about a whole new sleiu of awesome X-com moments.
__________________
CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.5 || MB: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro || GPU: Nvidia 570 GTX || RAM: Gskill 8 GB || Sound: Asus Xonar D1 || Display: Dell U2412M || 750 GB Samsung EVO & 640 GB WD Caviar Black || PSU: Seasonic Bronze 650W

CPU block: XSPC Raystorm || GPU block: EK-FC570 GTX SE EN+ Nickel/Clear Acrylic || Reservoir: XSPC RX360 || Pump: MCP655-B || Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev. 2
Clinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #614
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespyder View Post
I have a squad full of Cols including three maxed out Psi-Ops and Titan armor plus Alloy Guns and Plasma Weapons. I have been dragging it out for the simple reason that I don't want the game to end. But I am thinking of taking the plunge. I hope the end is worth it.
Ghost Armor is better. Inherent Defense up and guaranteed critical hit during cloak. Play your cards right and you shouldn't need the extra HP.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #615
kevinsbane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Ghost Armor is better. Inherent Defense up and guaranteed critical hit during cloak. Play your cards right and you shouldn't need the extra HP.
I must admit it's fun to see an assault have almost as much HP as a sectopod and capable of more single-target damage output.
kevinsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #616
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post
I must admit it's fun to see an assault have almost as much HP as a sectopod and capable of more single-target damage output.
Meh. End-game I was doing very little actual fighting. I was MCing M/Es left and right and using them to suicide-grenade and whatnot against the others.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #617
thespyder
Golden Member
 
thespyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Meh. End-game I was doing very little actual fighting. I was MCing M/Es left and right and using them to suicide-grenade and whatnot against the others.
I admit I really didn't think much of the ghost armor. With it being limited use and only lasting one turn, or until attack, seems like not much added benefit (to me). Maybe I need to rethink?

As for the suicide grenade, I pulled that trick off once. The problem that I have is as soon as I MC an alien (and he doesn't get to move until next round), the rest of his buddies pile on top of him and kill him. Dead. While it is nice that they waste their turn shooting at their buddy, and it means I don't need to actually kill said buddy, I rarely actually get to take any action with the poor sod. At least that is my experience with the game.
thespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #618
KaOTiK
Lifer
 
KaOTiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: FL
Posts: 10,884
Default

Ghost armor is awesome. So many uses.

I've used it to block a door way and a whole in a wall for a room full of the 4 legged things (can't remember their names, they are nasty in close combat) when a grenade took out a part of the wall and I could see them and my whole squad was in a hallway. Put one guy in GA at the door with it on and one at the opening from the nade with the armor on and was able to save my squad (they were the last 2 with moves) from being ripped to shreds from those things.

Great for a long distance scout too if you. Turn GA on and run whoever you are using as scouting their max distance to try and reveal enemies (works great on outside areas where you know they generally are). Snipers with team vision and double tap clean that up real quick generally
KaOTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #619
thespyder
Golden Member
 
thespyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOTiK View Post
Great for a long distance scout too if you. Turn GA on and run whoever you are using as scouting their max distance to try and reveal enemies (works great on outside areas where you know they generally are). Snipers with team vision and double tap clean that up real quick generally
See, this was what I was expecting to do. And I have one of my guys (an assault??? with the extra move feat) using it. I guess, I just never did it correctly because it didn't seem like that great a gain. I much prefer nailing one of the enemies with MC for distance vision and then letting the sniper finish the job. That way I don't have any of my own guys hanging out in the DZ for a round. Let the enemy take all the risks.

Edit: Plus, pound for pound, that eliminates someone needlessly not attacking AND removes a combatant from combat. Where the other merely spots.

Last edited by thespyder; 11-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
thespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #620
kevinsbane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespyder View Post
I admit I really didn't think much of the ghost armor. With it being limited use and only lasting one turn, or until attack, seems like not much added benefit (to me). Maybe I need to rethink?
Yes, you do

Ghost armour gives you 6 hp, +2 moves, +20% defense (permanent half cover, stacks with normal cover), grappling hook.

Oh, you get ghosting with that, which gives you either free scouting, +100% crit, or get out of jail free. Four times.

Titan gives you immunity to fire/poison (marginally useful) and 4 extra hp over ghost armour.

Quote:
Meh. End-game I was doing very little actual fighting. I was MCing M/Es left and right and using them to suicide-grenade and whatnot against the others.
Yes, but it's still fun to see that assault with 28 hp.

Weirdly enough, I never found MC that great of a skill. I always seemed to be able to kill everything anyways, so I was left with an MC'd baddie that I didn't know what to do with.

Mostly though, I think it was always that I had something better to do with my guy. Heavy - Rocket launcher, or blasting down a Sectopod; Sniper - Double Tap/ITZ; Assault - MC this muton, or blow this cyberdisc to smithereens... I suppose if I had more psi supports, I'd do it more.

Last edited by kevinsbane; 11-05-2012 at 04:07 PM.
kevinsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #621
ChronoReverse
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,008
Default

Another thing you can do with Ghost Armor and Bulletstorm Heavies is shoot _then_ cloak.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #622
thespyder
Golden Member
 
thespyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post
Weirdly enough, I never found MC that great of a skill. I always seemed to be able to kill everything anyways, so I was left with an MC'd baddie that I didn't know what to do with.

Mostly though, I think it was always that I had something better to do with my guy. Heavy - Rocket launcher, or blasting down a Sectopod; Sniper - Double Tap/ITZ; Assault - MC this muton, or blow this cyberdisc to smithereens... I suppose if I had more psi supports, I'd do it more.
One tactic that I quite like is MC the last baddie on the block. Then I have four rounds to position guys in strike range with Arc Throwers. When the Baddie comes around, ZAP, ZAP, ZAP and down they go. If nothing else, you get a free plasma gun out of the deal.

If you think about it, it is a real shame that you can't zap them WHILE they are under. or at least shoot them defenseless. Yeah, it is morally ambiguous, But then they are plundering our planet, so... All's fair in war. etc....
thespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #623
kevinsbane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespyder View Post
One tactic that I quite like is MC the last baddie on the block. Then I have four rounds to position guys in strike range with Arc Throwers. When the Baddie comes around, ZAP, ZAP, ZAP and down they go. If nothing else, you get a free plasma gun out of the deal.

If you think about it, it is a real shame that you can't zap them WHILE they are under. or at least shoot them defenseless. Yeah, it is morally ambiguous, But then they are plundering our planet, so... All's fair in war. etc....
I always found that once they got out of MC, they got a free turn that I couldn't do anything about. More than once that's gotten one of my guys either killed or critically injured.
kevinsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #624
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post
Yes, you do

Ghost armour gives you 6 hp, +2 moves, +20% defense (permanent half cover, stacks with normal cover), grappling hook.

Oh, you get ghosting with that, which gives you either free scouting, +100% crit, or get out of jail free. Four times.

Titan gives you immunity to fire/poison (marginally useful) and 4 extra hp over ghost armour.

Yes, but it's still fun to see that assault with 28 hp.

Weirdly enough, I never found MC that great of a skill. I always seemed to be able to kill everything anyways, so I was left with an MC'd baddie that I didn't know what to do with.

Mostly though, I think it was always that I had something better to do with my guy. Heavy - Rocket launcher, or blasting down a Sectopod; Sniper - Double Tap/ITZ; Assault - MC this muton, or blow this cyberdisc to smithereens... I suppose if I had more psi supports, I'd do it more.
I learned to start carrying more grenades just for that reason. I could always get the victim to get to low HP easily, and then I would have one of my guys mop up with their own grenade if it was the end of the mission.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #625
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post
I always found that once they got out of MC, they got a free turn that I couldn't do anything about. More than once that's gotten one of my guys either killed or critically injured.
On their last turn, put them out in the open and have all your guys in full cover and overwatch. Since they don't have a grenade (you should've used theirs already), they will probably miss and are going to die quickly.

The game considers the mind-controlling turn to be the first turn, so you only get 3 actions out of them before they revert.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.