· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
techuser12

Default Wireless bridge help

Hello,

I'm curious if this is possible or if there are better solutions out there.

Inside a local LAN (192.168.1.x network A), I have a separate gaming LAN (10.0.0.x network B). The reason for this is to keep the broadcast traffic separate while still allowing the gaming LAN to connect to the Internet through network A. Network B is downstairs and A is upstairs. Currently, I have a router downstairs (Linksys WRT54GX) connected to a wireless ethernet adapter which connects to network A. The Linksys provides wireless clients (10.0.0.x)

Since it's time to upgrade to wireless N, I'd like to find something that will allow me to bridge the two subnets together wirelessly BUT also providing a WAP to the 10.0.0.x network downstairs. What would you all recommend? Any questions or comments are appreciated!

Thanks!
techuser12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
techuser12

Anyone? Help!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Any quality DD-WRT-capable router should work. Flash the latest stable version of DD-WRT and follow this guide to set your network up.
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric ISIS Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State Liberation Security Breach Threat Standoff
SWAT Screening Virus Environmental Terrorist Dock
AnonymouseUser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
techuser12

Thanks, but even with DDWRT can a wireless router connect to a different subnet wirelessly while still serving as an access point for a separate subnet? I would think the answer is no due to hardware limitations.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techuser12 View Post
Thanks, but even with DDWRT can a wireless router connect to a different subnet wirelessly while still serving as an access point for a separate subnet? I would think the answer is no due to hardware limitations.
Yes, it can. That is one of the benefits of DD-WRT: using software workarounds for hardware limitations.

If you look at the custom commands from the guide I linked you'll see it does just that.

Quote:
You will also need to use Iptables commands to allow the traffic through the firewalls of Router2 and Router3 to allow full communication between subnets. <snip>

# Allow Router2 to forward traffic from Router1 and Router3's subnets
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.3.0/24 -j ACCEPT
# Allow Router3 to forward traffic from Router1 and Router2's subnets
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.2.0/24 -j ACCEPT
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric ISIS Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State Liberation Security Breach Threat Standoff

Last edited by AnonymouseUser; 11-05-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
techuser12

The article you linked to had the routers connected via copper. I'm trying to do it wirelessly.

Sorry, I probably should have been more clear. I'll post what I currently have and see if there are any suggestions / comments.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techuser12 View Post
The article you linked to had the routers connected via copper. I'm trying to do it wirelessly.

Sorry, I probably should have been more clear. I'll post what I currently have and see if there are any suggestions / comments.

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/8152/graphicl.jpg
I really don't think it matters how it is connected in that guide, as the wired and wireless interfaces will share the same subnet per router.

Can you list all of the network hardware (modem, router, access point, etc) you currently use? The diagram is a little confusing without that specific info.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
techuser12

Sure, sorry about that. I'm at work and clearly no artist.

Home LAN (192.168.1.1) is an Actiontec MI424WR Verizon FIOS wireless router which lives upstairs.

Downstairs, we have a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP Ethernet Converter (IP 192.168.1.250) which connects to the FIOS wirelessly and outputs copper to the WAN port of a Linksys WRT54GX (10.0.0.1). We have multiple machines hardwired to the 10.0.0.x LAN for gaming purposes. We also have the WRT54GX running an access point for anyone who brings a laptop to the LAN parties we run (clients get a 10.0.0.x IP).

The goal is to allow access to the net from the 10.0.0.x computers, but run it on a different subnet due to the traffic. We want to upgrade the Buffalo and Linksys to N, and was just looking for general input / suggestions / comments. Replacing those pieces with one box is ideal, but I don't think it's possible. Any and all suggestions, comments, ideas are appreciated.

Anonymouse - thanks for hanging in there with me and being patient! I appreciate it!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

I would suggest the Asus RT-N66U for Gigabit LAN and "Gigabit" Wireless (up to 900Mbps with dual-band adapter). You would configure the RT-N66U as an Access Point and manually configure the LAN IP address. This should give you the separate subnets, but if, for whatever reason, this doesn't work the way you want it, you can install DD-WRT for increased functionality.

The one problem with your network will be the Actiontec MI424WR router since it's only capable of 100Mbps LAN and 54Mbps Wireless G speeds. If you can connect the RT-N66U via copper to the MI424WR router then you can get internet speeds up to 100Mbps, but if you connect it wirelessly you'll only get up to 54Mbps. This is only a problem if the FiOS speeds you pay for are higher, of course.

EDIT>> I may be mistaken about the Access Point functionality, and it may not be possible to connect the RT-N66U to the MI424WR as an Access Point wirelessly. You may need DD-WRT even with the RT-N66U.

Last edited by AnonymouseUser; 11-05-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Techuser12, you can stay with the same topology as you have now and just replace the Linksys and the Buffalo with newer Wireless devices

Any Wireless Router with DD_WRT can be configured as a Client Bridge and replace the so called Buffalo Converter.

Thus basically you have to replace the Linksys with a Good Wireless Router of your choice, and the Buffalo with a second Wireless Router configured as a Client Bridge.

If you do not need Giga ports you can try two of these.

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Rou...VVviewprod.htm

Wirless Cleint with DD-WRT here - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMDS View Post
Wirless Cleint with DD-WRT here - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
Unfortunately that won't give techuser12 the wireless connectivity for the second router/subnet that he is looking for. I do wonder if a dual-band router (eg, RT-N66U) could be configured with the 2.4GHz band as an access point to the MI424WR, and the 5GHz band plus LAN as a router for the gaming subnet. If that's even possible it may still require DD-WRT.

Keeping his current Buffalo ethernet converter may be the best/easiest option, and just replace the WRT54GX with any Wireless N router. I don't see the point in replacing the Buffalo since the Verizon modem/router won't do higher than G speeds anyway.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Many times there is more than one solution to each issue.

In general, I have No investment in forcing upon people what I use, or show others how "smart" I am.

The level of my suggestions take into considerations the level of the OP knowledge about the topic as reflects in their posts, while trying to contain the cost within reasonable range.

----------------
P.S. If the OP has the Revision F and above of the FIOS' Router it should be N capable Router, the Buffallo is a b/g only.

Last edited by JackMDS; 11-05-2012 at 07:34 PM.
JackMDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMDS View Post
Many times there is more than one solution to each issue.
Yes, there usually is.

Quote:
In general, I have No investment in forcing upon people what I use, or show others how "smart" I am.
Neither do I. techuser12 has a complicated setup that he's looking to replace with what may be even more complicated, and it's easy to overlook some of his requested functionality.

Quote:
The level of my suggestions take into considerations the level of the OP knowledge about the topic as reflects in their posts, while trying to contain the cost within reasonable range.
Same here.

Quote:
P.S. If the OP has the Revision F and above of the FIOS' Router it should be N capable Router, the Buffallo is a b/g only.
I stand corrected. The first search result I got for the Actiontec MI424WR was the older G version, but the second result is the newer N version. Replacing the Buffalo would be a good idea, also.