· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #301
thewarrior008

Totally agree with you. Windows 8 looks totally different from previous Windows version . Atleast microsoft could have given us the option to get back the start menu without install third-party app.
thewarrior008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #302
tfouto

I cant get USB 3.0 working with Windows 8. I mean they work, but at USB 2.0 speeds. Windows 7 is working super fast...
tfouto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #303
zephxiii

I need to upgrade one of the laptops i work on to 8 to really get a feel for laptop/desktop use. I had the preview going...but that's sort of a halfassed setup since it isn't permanent.

I still love it for HTPC use!!
zephxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #304
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2is View Post
You keep using the word compromise, I don't think it means what you think it means. You plug in, you get aero, you're on battery you don't and extend your battery life. That's not a compromise, it's the exact opposite, actually.
Point was Microsoft had to compromised on what they could do with desktop UI for Win8,ie Win8 UI desktop to be more inline with Metro GUI etc.. so Aero had to go ,they even said so,

Quote:
Jensen Harris, the director of program management for Windows 8's user experience team, said that the new operating system's look-and-feel, its graphics user interface, or GUI, would be "clean and crisp," and would do away with the "glass and reflections" that marked Aero.

The move was Microsoft's attempt to bring the traditional desktop -- one of two GUIs in Windows 8 -- closer to the new Metro-style interface, said Harris.

"In the end, we decided to bring the desktop closer to the Metro aesthetic, while preserving the compatibility afforded by not changing the size of window chrome, controls, or system UI," said Harris. "We have moved beyond Aero Glass -- flattening surfaces, removing reflections, and scaling back distracting gradients."
Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #305
pmv
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post
Point was Microsoft had to compromised on what they could do with desktop UI for Win8,ie Win8 UI desktop to be more inline with Metro GUI etc.. so Aero had to go ,they even said so,

But that's not a compromise. A compromise would be leaving the desktop as it was for those who prefer that, with an option for the user of having it...er...metrocated?,,,if that's what the user wants.

Having it compulsorarily metrofied is precisely the opposite of a compromise.

There's no reason why it would _have_ to be 'more in line with Metro GUI'. Personally I think the Metro GUI is hideous to look at. Its an ugly smartphone style interface, one seemingly designed for the technical limitations of such a display/input method.
pmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #306
2is
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post

So first it was of resources (resources that intel IGP's from 5+ years ago could handle)

Then it was battery life (which is also debunked due to being able to disable it)

And now it's because it's "in-line" with Metro. (whatever that's suppose to mean)

Lets ignore what you just said as well as that quote for a moment. Instead, lets go ahead and use our brain and some critical thinking skills we learned in highschool instead of simply buying into what someone wants to sell us... I've thought long and hard. I don't see ANY reason why Aero could not be added into the desktop UI. None.

So the question is... Why does it have to be "in-line" with Metro? It's two different interfaces, one designed for tablets, phones and to a more limited extent, PC's with touchscreens. the other for a mouse and keyboard. Those are the fundamental differences between the two UI's and those fundamental differences do not change with or without Aero. What changes is the desktop UI looks like something that's 20 years old instead of 20 days old. So I ask you, Mem, why? Don't tell me what Microsoft wants you to say, use your most valuable asset, (your mind) and tell me why YOU think removing Aero was a good thing.

YHPM
-ViRGE

Last edited by ViRGE; 11-08-2012 at 07:12 AM.
2is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #307
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2is View Post
So first it was of resources (resources that intel IGP's from 5+ years ago could handle)

Then it was battery life (which is also debunked due to being able to disable it)

And now it's because it's "in-line" with Metro. (whatever that's suppose to mean)

Lets ignore what you just said as well as that quote for a moment. Instead, lets go ahead and use our brain and some critical thinking skills we learned in highschool instead of simply buying into what someone wants to sell us... I've thought long and hard. I don't see ANY reason why Aero could not be added into the desktop UI. None.

So the question is... Why does it have to be "in-line" with Metro? It's two different interfaces, one designed for tablets, phones and to a more limited extent, PC's with touchscreens. the other for a mouse and keyboard. Those are the fundamental differences between the two UI's and those fundamental differences do not change with or without Aero. What changes is the desktop UI looks like something that's 20 years old instead of 20 days old. So I ask you, Mem, why? Don't tell me what Microsoft wants you to say, use your most valuable asset, (your mind) and tell me why YOU think removing Aero was a good thing.
I was going to reply but its clear you just trying to insult me and don't really care what I say ,so I won't bother.

I will say read up on forums rules about being polite and respecting others around here,did I insult you?.... no,even PMV was more polite then you.

Manners are free,cost nothing try remembering that.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #308
Maximilian
Lifer

http://blogs.computerworld.com/windo...ive-one-margin

Windows 8 adoption lags behind windows 7, and even lags vista

What fail lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #309
GnatGoSplat
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
http://blogs.computerworld.com/windo...ive-one-margin

Windows 8 adoption lags behind windows 7, and even lags vista

What fail lol.
Just 2 days before that article, Microsoft was saying different.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89S0Y020121029

"We're seeing preliminary demand well above where we were with Windows 7, which is gratifying," Ballmer said.

Who to believe?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #310
vshin

This "hatred" of Windows 8 doesn't make any sense to me. It's virtually the same OS as Windows 7 except there's a Start Screen instead of a Start Menu. It's not a big deal whether you like it or not.
vshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #311
Makaveli
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshin View Post
This "hatred" of Windows 8 doesn't make any sense to me. It's virtually the same OS as Windows 7 except there's a Start Screen instead of a Start Menu. It's not a big deal whether you like it or not.
Its not a big deal for you!!!!!!!

Did you ever think that maybe some people use a computer differently than the way you use it?

It doesn't make sense to me that you don't understand that.
Intel Core i7 970 @ 4.2Ghz 1.29v | TRUE Black Rev.C + Scythe S-Flex 1600 rpm x2 | Asus P6-T Deluxe V2 | 12GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 7-8-7-20 1T | MSI 7970 Ghz + Kraken G10 & H55 | EVGA 650 SC Physx | Logitech G15+G500 | Intel 320GB G2 Raid 0 | WD 1TB Black Storage | ESATA 2TB Green | CM 690 II Advanced | Razor Vespula | HP ZR24w | Logitech Z560 | X-FI Titanium | Corsair Pro Series Gold AX750
Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #312
pmv
Golden Member

Quote:
I agree that the change isn't huge. But the Start Screen instead of the Start menu is a step backwards for most desktop users - its _worse_ to use and more primitive in its approach than what we had before. That's not the way OS iterations have previously gone, normally they get more sophisticated to make use of the more powerful hardware available. In this case its gone slightly backwards because its targeting the weaker hardware of mobile devices.

(and don't forget the loss of cosmetic aero features also)

So its a trifle irritating that for non tablet users this 'upgrade' takes away just as much as it adds (the plus side being small-but-nice things like much improved USB3 support, slightly-faster booting, and folder merge _finally_ being done the way it should have been done in one of the later versions of Windows95 - better late than never I guess).

It would probably be better if 8 had _only_ gone backwards so one could just totally ignore it. Having it add some nice things while removing others is just plain annoying!
pmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #313
yinan
Golden Member

The start screen just plain sucks and is annoying. It takes up way too much screen real estate. And if apps go fully metro, how am I supposed to efficiently multitask and watch the output from several applications/windows at once?

The loss of Aero also pisses me off. I really like how it makes windows look.

I will not be upgrading to this useless OS anytime.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #314
Maximilian
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
Just 2 days before that article, Microsoft was saying different.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89S0Y020121029

"We're seeing preliminary demand well above where we were with Windows 7, which is gratifying," Ballmer said.

Who to believe?
Yeah thats likely the 4 million shipped to retailers figure ballmer was throwing around. Shipped to retailers and actually sold to people are two different things though
Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #315
rgallant
Golden Member

Quote:
well for me no sound drivers for most sound cards = no win 8 for me at this time.
-for my forte eta Jan. 2013
-creative cards nov.30
-checked to day for the on board of the Asus M5F.-all win 7.
-sad really , given bad sound drivers can bring any system down at any time and I don't want to play well what caused this blue screen today for the next 2-3 months.
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
rgallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #316
GnatGoSplat
Golden Member

I was under the impression Windows 7 drivers should work on Windows 8. Is this not the case?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #317
cboath

Creative has always sucked out loud when it comes having drivers ready day 1 (or even month one for that matter).

I have an Asus AP5B and I can't tell you if they had drivers on the site for it, but win8 runs great on it. I don't know where that board rates in the time scale, but I bought mine about 3 years ago I want to say.

As far as some people liking or prefering the start button goes, no one is denying that's the case at all. What's irritating to a lot of people is that a number of those who prefer it tend to whine about it non-stop and don't seem to try and make an effort to live without it. I've put forth the question repeatedly about what you can do in the old start menu you can't do in win 8 and I get no real answers. Just 'it's easier for me' stuff. The only thing not in the win8 start menu is all programs. The rest is still there and you can add to it yourself.

I'll admit to feeling pretty much the same way about losing the start menu in the CP. Finding the 'hidden' start menu helped a lot. I only messed with a week or so before ignoring it. Got the RTM in august and with the stuff i've read here and the small tweaks they made, it made a big difference.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #318
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
I was under the impression Windows 7 drivers should work on Windows 8. Is this not the case?
It's not quite as simple as click & install, but that's not too far off. Win8 can load Win7 drivers, so it's generally the installer holding things back, or Win8 not liking the lack of a Win8 entry in the driver's INF file.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #319
tommo123
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboath View Post
Creative has always sucked out loud when it comes having drivers ready day 1 (or even month one for that matter).

I have an Asus AP5B and I can't tell you if they had drivers on the site for it, but win8 runs great on it. I don't know where that board rates in the time scale, but I bought mine about 3 years ago I want to say.

As far as some people liking or prefering the start button goes, no one is denying that's the case at all. What's irritating to a lot of people is that a number of those who prefer it tend to whine about it non-stop and don't seem to try and make an effort to live without it. I've put forth the question repeatedly about what you can do in the old start menu you can't do in win 8 and I get no real answers. Just 'it's easier for me' stuff. The only thing not in the win8 start menu is all programs. The rest is still there and you can add to it yourself.

I'll admit to feeling pretty much the same way about losing the start menu in the CP. Finding the 'hidden' start menu helped a lot. I only messed with a week or so before ignoring it. Got the RTM in august and with the stuff i've read here and the small tweaks they made, it made a big difference.
plenty of people here have said many a time in many a thread why it's inferior. you obviously missed all those posts
tommo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #320
MadScientist
Golden Member

After working with Win 8 Pro on my HTPC my assessment is that itís just ok. As one reviewer put it itís Windows 7 + 1. Like a lot of others, to make it more like Windows 7 I installed Start8.

To me this reviewerís final verdict of it is dead on. http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...verdict-144708

Most people should have no problems installing Win 8. I had a few hiccups. Hereís how I fixed them.

I did a clean (format C) boot install from a $40. Upgrade DVD. I thought everything went well until I started getting random restarts. Running sfc /scannow as admin from a command window found corrupted system files it could not fix. Stuff happens. Ran a Refresh your PC install from the charm bar and all was well, sfc /scannow found no problems. My settings and WMC were still intact.

Ran Windows update. One of the updates, KB2756872, a biggie, 162.8MB, failed to install 4x, got Ďer on the 5th try, but again stuff happens, especially with windows updates. Seems Iím not the only one to have this problem. Only AV Iím running is Defender. http://www.forumswindows8.com/tutori...56872-8301.htm

When configuring WMC for my 5.1 speakers it failed the speaker test. Downloaded and installed Realtekís R2.70 HD audio driver. After setting digital output as the default in Realtekís HD audio manager, 5.1 surround for DVD movies sounds great. Iím using a Toslink cable from my MB to my old, circa 1998, AV receiver. It does not have pass thru capability. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Iím using Intelís onboard HD video. Windows update downloaded and installed the latest driver, but to see the Graphic Properties screen I needed to download and install NET framework 3.5. Not included in Windows 8????

Last, I could not join my Windows 7 Homegroup. The Homegroup troubleshooter found no problems. Everything checked out ok. Synced the clocks and turned off AV and firewall. No go. Ok, try the obvious, changed the Homegroup password, success, joined. So why didnít the original password work???
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/wi...-to-homegroup/
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, i5-2500K @4.6 Ghz, 1.340V, Lian Li PC-7A Plus, Corsair A70, Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB, 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 @1.575V,Seasonic M12II 620W PSU, MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Samsung SH-S223B, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #321
squirrel dog
Diamond Member

I bought 8 and used it for 3 days.Try as I might I cound not get my Dell3100cn printer to work,and I tried every trick I knew.No win7 64 driver would work,so I am back to 7.I found 8 to be configurable to a point to where it looked like 7 to me,8 is a bit faster,resource management I would guess.But I need the printer(canoscan scanner too)I will wait untill I can find windows 8 pro drivers that work with legacy hardware,or I will pass.
squirrel dog is offline   Reply With Quote