· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
moonbogg
Diamond Member

Default Origin issues

Been having insane login issues with origin. I'll be playing need for speed in multiplayer and suddenly i'll get kicked from the game and logged out of origin. I try to log back in and password no longer works and I have to reset it using the email system. I'll play a couple minutes and the issue repeats and I have to reset the password again. I reset it 6 times last night before chatting live with someone through origin.
The resulting conversation was absolutely hilarious and completely unbelievable for reasons that I will spare you the fine details of, but they claimed nothing was wrong etc and I get KICKED FROM THE CHAT ROOM while they are trying to help me as Origin logs me out! The issue happened right there infront of his face and upon re connecting he still sais nothing is wrong. they just said to use the email system like I had been.
I suspect Origin is either broken on their end or people's accounts have been hacked on a large scale. There are account hack complaints all over the place with people's corresponding email addresses being changed without them knowing, password issues, not being able to use their games etc etc.
You guys have problems too?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Mem
Lifer

Origin has been working fine for me for ages ie on Win7 and even now on Win8 x64 PCs,you could try a full virus scan and also uninstall Origin and reinstall it,also try it on another PC and see if you get same issues.

Try something like Malwarebytes and see if that picks anything up as well,http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
CVSiN
Diamond Member

oh good it's not just me..
same issues here.. thought I was being hacked.

right now it's stable havent lost my current password..

but had to change it 5 times in the last 24 hours.
but was not getting any messages to my email my pass had changed other than when I did it.

on the plus side.. They did send me back 36 dollars without me asking since I had bought premier BF3 just a couple weeks before the half off promo on warfighter..

so that was cool..

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
moonbogg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post
Origin has been working fine for me for ages ie on Win7 and even now on Win8 x64 PCs,you could try a full virus scan and also uninstall Origin and reinstall it,also try it on another PC and see if you get same issues.

Try something like Malwarebytes and see if that picks anything up as well,http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
My friend had the exact same issue last night and many others as well. I came across this link

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...98548260/last/

Not sure if true, but it might make sense and match the current issues. Looks like their entire database was hacked and stolen. People across many different games have had similar issues. If you haven't, consider yourself lucky. My rig is virus free, but I will scan for any malware as well. I was happier with STEAM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
CVSiN
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post

mine was doing it on a brand new fresh imaged windows8 machine and the same from my corporate PC which is also not infected.

there is something going on for sure.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
CVSiN
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbogg View Post
My friend had the exact same issue last night and many others as well. I came across this link

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...98548260/last/

Not sure if true, but it might make sense and match the current issues. Looks like their entire database was hacked and stolen. People across many different games have had similar issues. If you haven't, consider yourself lucky. My rig is virus free, but I will scan for any malware as well. I was happier with STEAM.
if it was a hack then how are they changing the passwords without using the email recovery?

The only reset messages are from me..
and ive already reset all my passwords to very long complex random corporate style passwords and it was still doing it up till 9 am this morning.

My email passwords were different and very complex so they are not compromised.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
mine was doing it on a brand new fresh imaged windows8 machine and the same from my corporate PC which is also not infected.

there is something going on for sure.
Weird issue you guys have ,my Origin launcher has been up all day today with no issues,infact off to game in ME3 MP right now,let you guys know how it goes.

Update:just played two full maps in ME3 MP ,no issues.

Last edited by Mem; 11-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Mem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
moonbogg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
if it was a hack then how are they changing the passwords without using the email recovery?

The only reset messages are from me..
and ive already reset all my passwords to very long complex random corporate style passwords and it was still doing it up till 9 am this morning.

My email passwords were different and very complex so they are not compromised.
I'm no IT guy, but my best guess is that IF the database was stolen, then perhaps EA is making passwords auto reset to prevent accounts from being hijacked? Thats my best guess, that EA is doing the password reset thing to be on the safe side and try to protect accounts. The database might be getting stolen repeatedly. Whatever it is, it sucks and is making Origin look like a complete joke, especially compared to STEAM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
CVSiN
Diamond Member

you forgetting that Steam had plenty of security issues.. and plenty of early issues.

no system is bulletproof.. and the only way to really tie a system down is to use external authenticators like SWTOR/battlenet..

I already have a SWTOR authenticator I wonder why they cant tie those in.. TOR uses my same account info as it is technically an Origin/EA product.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Every time I have had this issue with Origin there's a software update waiting when I completely close the program. Maybe it's tied to that. Even after the update it still doesn't like my old password though.

It seems like I have to change my password every time I shut my computer off. I finally made a much stronger password and I haven't had many problems since.
VulgarDisplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
moonbogg
Diamond Member

A few days ago, I had this same login issue and had to change the password. I couldn't play online with the new password, battlelog gave me an error. The only way to get online was to go back to the original password! Its a confusing mess and makes no sense.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm no IT guy, but my best guess is that IF the database was stolen, then perhaps EA is making passwords auto reset to prevent accounts from being hijacked? Thats my best guess, that EA is doing the password reset thing to be on the safe side and try to protect accounts. The database might be getting stolen repeatedly. Whatever it is, it sucks and is making Origin look like a complete joke, especially compared to STEAM.
You forget about this?

Quote:
Yesterday, on November 10, 2011, the following message was sent to all users via a Steam message.

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
moonbogg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0oG0oGaiPan View Post
You forget about this?
Despite the attacks on STEAM, I have had a much easier time using STEAM than I have with Origin. I don't recall having passwords not work, getting kicked from games ETC. This doesn't need to turn into a STEAM vs Origin battle because STEAM would just win anyway

Oh, and at least STEAM communicated with its customers, unlike Origin who just pretends there is no problem and keeps everyone in the dark. I hope they get hacked to death and their whole damn world ends up permabroken.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Despite the attacks on STEAM, I have had a much easier time using STEAM than I have with Origin. I don't recall having passwords not work, getting kicked from games ETC. This doesn't need to turn into a STEAM vs Origin battle because STEAM would just win anyway

Oh, and at least STEAM communicated with its customers, unlike Origin who just pretends there is no problem and keeps everyone in the dark. I hope they get hacked to death and their whole damn world ends up permabroken.
In the very early days Steam had a lot of issues which effected many users including myself,however nowadays its fine and I don't get any issues,Origin has never gave me any issues,right back to ME3 MP in Origin got some Geth to kill .
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

I along with plenty of people are having no problems with Origin. You just need to learn to secure your account better. Would be nice if you could use special characters in your password but unfortunately you can't do that with Origin.

Here's a guide on creating a strong password.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...member-easily/
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
moonbogg
Diamond Member

Quote:
I along with plenty of people are having no problems with Origin. You just need to learn to secure your account better. Would be nice if you could use special characters in your password but unfortunately you can't do that with Origin.

I'll give it a shot. I won't use passwords like "moonbogg123" or anything like that.

I'm only dogging Origin because I got kicked from a good game several times. When it works I actually like it. The orange symbol looks good and makes me happy and I like all my Origin games.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

lol i like you. How about a free copy of fifa 10 for origin for your troubles?
https://www.zucaritaspromo.com/
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Quote:

I have special characters in my new password on origin.
VulgarDisplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
moonbogg
Diamond Member

I am happy to report that Origin hasn't broke on me lately. I did get kicked from need for speed, but it doesn't seem to be an Origin issue like before since Origin stays logged in. I can't help but wonder if complaining to the tech support caused them to do something to fix my account? Who knows. I'll keep my little fingers crossed.

@ M0oG0oGaiPan:

Thanks for the offer (I think you were speaking to me?) but the thought of playing a sports game of any kind makes me want to rip my eye balls out of their sockets.

Last edited by moonbogg; 11-07-2012 at 09:44 AM.
moonbogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
CVSiN
Diamond Member

same after that day it is fine.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

Use those special characters.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012..._source=social
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
clok1966

Quote:

doesn't matter how strong your password is if the system with it is hacked.. many CREDIBLE news sites are saying EA was hacked.. But so far (as i know) nothing from EA.. a week or two from now when its confirmed, and EA sat on its thumbs and didn't warn anybody.. then we can all say what most of us KNOW on how EA runs things.. PR like this would hurt bottom line, hide it till you cant hide it anymore or the PR boys can gloss it over somewhat "we couldn't say anything till we researched it more". Which just means we let um rape your accounts for an extra week while we prayed we could find something to get us off the hook.. but we couldn't so yes, we got hacked.

Of course if I am wrong.. and I am often.. you can tell me so.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=29525">HEAT</a>
clok1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
doesn't matter how strong your password is if the system with it is hacked.. many CREDIBLE news sites are saying EA was hacked.. But so far (as i know) nothing from EA.. a week or two from now when its confirmed, and EA sat on its thumbs and didn't warn anybody.. then we can all say what most of us KNOW on how EA runs things.. PR like this would hurt bottom line, hide it till you cant hide it anymore or the PR boys can gloss it over somewhat "we couldn't say anything till we researched it more". Which just means we let um rape your accounts for an extra week while we prayed we could find something to get us off the hook.. but we couldn't so yes, we got hacked.

Of course if I am wrong.. and I am often.. you can tell me so.
gj quoting a post I made 1.5 weeks ago when there wasn't as much information available.