· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
soccerballtux
Lifer

Default So...how do I buy a used phone now, and not get burned?

Looking at the Razr M.
Buying with Box+Accessories would most likely mean original owner (theft/phone database).

But what about it being reported stolen after the fact?

Even if you buy on ebay, how about when they fail to make the contract payments?

If the phone is activated on another account, is it still tied somehow to the contracted account?

Considering just ponying up cash for a brand new one off Amazon...but that's a lot of money.
soccerballtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
railer
Golden Member

I've always bought phones off ebay. I buy from people with good feedback ratings, and not from these wholesale outlets that buy and sell used phones by the 1000's. Haven't had a problem yet....
railer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
dlock13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
Looking at the Razr M.
Buying with Box+Accessories would most likely mean original owner (theft/phone database).

But what about it being reported stolen after the fact?

Even if you buy on ebay, how about when they fail to make the contract payments?

If the phone is activated on another account, is it still tied somehow to the contracted account?

Considering just ponying up cash for a brand new one off Amazon...but that's a lot of money.
If you're a member of the XDA forums, there are a lot of established people there that sell their phones left and right. A lot of people there are hobbyists which is why they might go through 1-3 phones at a time.

I've sold my phones through there about 10 times now, and I've had smooth transactions. Only problem is they changed the restrictions to something like 50 posts first and have to have been a member for... 6 months or something of that sort..
Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Mopetar
Platinum Member

Hopefully the problem sorts itself out in short order as people stop stealing phones because they can't be easily resold.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
s44
Diamond Member

For Verizon, clean ESN at time of sale is all you need. Just phone in and have them transfer it to your account on the spot. Sprint too.

It's unfortunately GSM carriers that can allow the "report it lost afterwards" bullcrap. Also, for T-mo, the big risk is that they bought it on the installment option of the Value plans and stop paying. It's absolute BS but they're way more aggressive about blacklisting these IMEIs than those of actually stolen devices.

You can stick to XDA or swappa if you want a better seller pool than craigs.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
soccerballtux
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
For Verizon, clean ESN at time of sale is all you need. Just phone in and have them transfer it to your account on the spot. Sprint too.

It's unfortunately GSM carriers that can allow the "report it lost afterwards" bullcrap. Also, for T-mo, the big risk is that they bought it on the installment option of the Value plans and stop paying. It's absolute BS but they're way more aggressive about blacklisting these IMEIs than those of actually stolen devices.

Good advice all thanks.
Verizon phone to AT&T network (StraightTalk) so who knows.
FCC regulations will most certainly be updated once people start complaining.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Rick James Astley
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlock13 View Post
If you're a member of the XDA forums, there are a lot of established people there that sell their phones left and right. A lot of people there are hobbyists which is why they might go through 1-3 phones at a time.

I've sold my phones through there about 10 times now, and I've had smooth transactions. Only problem is they changed the restrictions to something like 50 posts first and have to have been a member for... 6 months or something of that sort..
This. I feel way more confident buying/selling in communities like this one. You can improve your odds by going to [H], OC and other forums with integrity. Apply common sense when you look at the user's profile/history and you'll know right away if you should buy. To ease concerns, you should point to forums where you are established, in case you are buying on a forum where you just signed up.

Quote:
Don't sit on my horse Mr. Scott!
Rick James Astley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
shortylickens
No Lifer

Amazon.
If you get a lemon, they take care of you.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
soccerballtux
Lifer

So apparently the recent Motorola phones such as the Razr M is MNC blocked in the radio flash to prevent you from using it on local GSM carriers. AT&T and T-mobile.
You can use it elsewhere in the world because they have different MNCs.
This is a circumvention of the 700mhz spectrum FCC agreement-- they still ALLOW the other SIM cards, they just won't let you connect to those networks. Following the letter but not the spirit...
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
So apparently the recent Motorola phones such as the Razr M is MNC blocked in the radio flash to prevent you from using it on local GSM carriers. AT&T and T-mobile.
You can use it elsewhere in the world because they have different MNCs.
This is a circumvention of the 700mhz spectrum FCC agreement-- they still ALLOW the other SIM cards, they just won't let you connect to those networks. Following the letter but not the spirit...
I'd personally just avoid any phone that has anything to do with a CDMA carrier, as the standard isn't built on openness, but carrier control.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
soccerballtux
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
I'd personally just avoid any phone that has anything to do with a CDMA carrier, as the standard isn't built on openness, but carrier control.
there aren't that many GSM phones that have an SD-card slot and which look decent
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
podspi
Golden Member

Quote:

Thank-you for this info. I thought it was tied to an account until the term ended.
podspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Geekbabe
Moderator Emeritus
Elite Member

I sell my phones on Craig's list & meet the buyer at the Verizon store so they can check the phone & activate right at the time of sale. Safety for the buyer, elimination of any headaches for me going forward.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

You can get lower prices on Craigslist, and a local deal means you can meet at a Verizon store and check it's ESN before the sale. You can even activate it on your line immediately.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #15
AkumaX
Lifer

checkesnfree.com

but, even if you buy it clean ESN at the time, there's always an opportunity to have the seller re-activate it before you can activate it on your account. never seen that happen though (nor would i understand why the seller would do that..)

on another note, Verizon's iPhone 5 is fully GSM-unlocked. how strange is that? kinda surprised to hear about the Razr M blocking domestic GSM usage, especially after they let slip the iPhone 5. Verizon's iPhone 4S has domestic GSM blocked also.
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_
AkumaX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #16
foghorn67
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
You can get lower prices on Craigslist, and a local deal means you can meet at a Verizon store and check it's ESN before the sale. You can even activate it on your line immediately.
This. In most areas there is a Verizon store within several miles of anyone. I've bought and sold my last three or for transactions this way. If the seller doesn't like the idea, thank him kindly and move on.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
stag3
Diamond Member

swappa.com
stag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Red Storm
Lifer

Yeah I always do transactions at the local Verizon store. If a seller does not want to do this, there's a good chance something is fishy.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Fingolfin269
Lifer

Does meeting at the local store really protect you? When I asked this question a month or so ago I was led to believe that someone who carried 3rd party insurance (say squaretrade?) could still file a stolen/lost phone claim even after meeting at the store and render the ESN dead. Maybe I misunderstood?
Fingolfin269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Quote:

is that really true for verizon. someone could report it stolen after you bought it couldnt they?
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Amazon.
If you get a lemon, they take care of you.
does amazon sell used phones? what is amazons price on razr m?
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLAMA2009 View Post
does amazon sell used phones? what is amazons price on razr m?
Go to amazon, type it in, see whats up. The used ones are there where it says Used. Actually, there may not yet be any M's up for sale, used.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #23
soccerballtux
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Go to amazon, type it in, see whats up. The used ones are there where it says Used. Actually, there may not yet be any M's up for sale, used.
no you can only buy through amazon wireless.
Makes sense.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
AkumaX
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin269 View Post
Does meeting at the local store really protect you? When I asked this question a month or so ago I was led to believe that someone who carried 3rd party insurance (say squaretrade?) could still file a stolen/lost phone claim even after meeting at the store and render the ESN dead. Maybe I misunderstood?
they can't file lost/stolen ESN, since you "legally" own the phone now.

they can't claim that the ESN that you purchased, to "turn in" for 3rd party insurance, will work because at the time, the ESN was clean/free, then activated on your line (so you assume ownership)

--

with that being said, i'm curious to see what happens to all the GSM phones now.
ESN (CDMA phones) were always checked before it could be activated.
there are people walking around with stolen GSM AT&T iPhones being used on either AT&T (another account) or T-Mobile. what happens to them, ever since the 11/1/2012 change?
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_
AkumaX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
Oyeve
Lifer

Buy my purple razr. I am a trust worthy guy.