· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #626
skyking
Lifer

Had to torch the phillips head screw out of one of the front rotors to get it off. I guess the fault is mine for not taking our new car apart and re-assembling it with anti sieze.

skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #627
BassBomb
Diamond Member

Last night:

Finished modding Asian Accord Grille to fit my car

Today:

Finished installing the fog light wiring
Installed Neuspeed strut bar
Hopefully: put back the bumper

Edit:

All the "today" stuff went successfully. Will test drive the car

Last edited by BassBomb; 11-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.
BassBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #628
halik
Lifer

Does wintermode count?
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #629
BassBomb
Diamond Member

Results
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #630
T2urtle
Diamond Member

I like your accord !

Most of the mods are the things I would do and have done to my G35.
T2urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #631
halik
Lifer

Much better grille on that accord. The tint (esp windshield) looks trashy imo.
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #632
KIAman
Diamond Member

Replaced my reat rotors, pads and sensors on the 330i. Job was cake, took only 45 minutes and I spent over 20 minutes hammering the shit out of the old rotors to get it off the hub.

Added anti-squeal to the brake pads and anti-seize on the rotors and adjusted my parking brakes to grab on the 4th click.

Easy peasy.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #633
BassBomb
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halik View Post
Much better grille on that accord. The tint (esp windshield) looks trashy imo.
Windshield is factory: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d_V6_sedan.jpg

Front doors have no tint, car came with 8% on all doors and rear, I couldn't see at night so I took off the fronts. Will have to redo the tint in the spring

Last edited by BassBomb; 11-05-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #634
halik
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBomb View Post
Windshield is factory: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d_V6_sedan.jpg

Front doors have no tint, car came with 8% on all doors and rear, I couldn't see at night so I took off the fronts. Will have to redo the tint in the spring
Yeah maybe it just the awkward limo tint on the back windows. I always thought that (no tint in front, limo in the back) looks stupid.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #635
JCH13
Diamond Member

Wrapping up a timing belt, water pump, front seal, all oils, and shifter boot job on my girlfriend's dad's Miata. Gone pretty smoothly so far. *knock wood*

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot. -QC
JCH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #636
nitrous9200

This afternoon I tracked down the source of my persistent "fill coolant fluid" message. After filling the expansion tank and unsticking the float didn't work, I went to unplug the tank sensor and short it to get rid of the message. I found this:

Someone seems to have chopped off the plug in the past; not much of a surprise considering this car's sketchy history and other bootleg repairs. I was able to twist the wires together to kill the error, and until I can find a new plug, it'll have to do.
nitrous9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #637
skyking
Lifer

I was in denial last night. Got up to delayed schools and icy roads, and put the studs on the wife's Pilot this morning.
Pic from last year.

Last edited by skyking; 12-18-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #638
manimal
Lifer

been so busy havent had time to do much other than get my winter beater on the road. 2004 expedition eddie bauer. Those GD plugs took me two days of swearing. Said fuck it and heated the car up and pulled em out with an impact.

well the tomei 270 cams, rocker stopper, cosworth valve springs and retainers and hx35 for the s13 have started to speak to me in my dreams. Precious!!! I promise I will install the precious soon!

Crank and block and heads back from machine shop and ready to go. 9k rpm redline head here we come!

This winter plan on doing upgraded side mounts for the 300zx and may go nuts and drop in two discos after paint.

Switched over to winter tires on all cars exept 300zx. Its going over to paint shop next week.
M4a79 DLX 805 X4 L3 6MB 3.25 NB 2450 Xfire 4850
58 PZ85U 50G10 52a650 PLV1080HD PJ all calibrated
120 Inch Screen -speakercraft Mzc66 8 zone audio
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #639
JCH13
Diamond Member

Started taking my Miata apart to replace all of the suspension busings and shocks. Found out I'll probably need steering ball joints too.

Also helped my friend replace the two front brake flex lines on his Escape. One had ruptured when his wife was driving.

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot. -QC
JCH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #640
skyking
Lifer

We don't get much nasty here, so the studs are on a short leash. I'll look at long range forecasts and swap them out as soon as I can. The wife called, said thank you and those tires are noisy !
We just put some very quiet Kumhos on there this summer, after years of a more aggressive A/T tire. She really did not know how quiet the new tires were till today.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #641
OVerLoRDI
Diamond Member

Not wrenching, but planning. My valve cover gaskets and timing chain cover gaskets are leaking. So I'm plotting all the little bits of plastic and rubber that I'll replacing as I take apart the engine to get to those.

It's a big job, especially the timing chain cover, so I figure I might as well replace all the old gaskets, rubber thingys, and brittle plastic I come across. So plotting all the gaskets and parts ill be coming across as I work to get at the timing chain cover. That kind of plotting.
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=73710
OVerLoRDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #642
Eos
Diamond Member

My wife's winter studless winter tire/wheel set is on deck, too.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #643
bamx2

During the last few days.-

1. Thermostat and window regulator replacement 2000 Honda Civic

2. Turbo and fuel system troubleshooting 1991 Mercedes 300D 2.5 W124. It's going to take a while on this one . ( BTW - thank you to folks at the forums at benzworld.org and peachparts.com )

Last edited by bamx2; 12-30-2012 at 06:12 PM.
bamx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #644
exdeath
Lifer

Camry started acting up out of nowhere. Running rough, idle hunting, overshooting idle and nearly stalling when letting off throttle, misfires, sweet exhaust smell (like carb cleaner/bad gas smell not coolant; eg rich mixture through a 18 yr old cat smell). After messing with distributor/ignition coil assembly and not finding any problems, I started looking at critical ECU inputs. Crank/cam position sensors are in the distributor so I moved on to MAP sensor. Unplugged it, no change.

As I fiddled with the sensor I noticed the engine behavior changing, until I finally happened to feel and hear a vacuum leak through the hose that connects it to the manifold. It's a short rubber hose that makes the final 90 degree bend from the hard vacuum line to the MAP mounted on the firewall, and the outside bend side of the hose had worn and cut against the MAP nipple in the last 18 years + bad motor mounts at one point. Three inches of rubber hose that I already had on hand and it runs good as new again. Still stumbling on sudden throttle opening and heavy load but it's resolving itself as the ECU recovers and pulls back fuel trim and the plugs and O2 sensors "dry out". As of last night after second day of driving and running through various acceleration/load cycles on my commute, it's back to normal.

It's a 1995. Everything is relatively modern SEFI paradigm with the minimum of everything you WANT to be solid state, but still basic and simple in that it doesn't obfuscate you from the basics of the 100 year old ICE at it's core. It's pre OBD-II so requires old fashioned troubleshooting still instead of just having a computer tell you what's wrong immediately.

It's the perfect learning platform IMO, the pinnacle of EFI perfection post 80's rats nests but pre 2000s complexity and obfuscation where you can't work on your own car without being a programmer or having $10,000 in scopes and analyzers. It's like the simplest EFI engine there is (Toyota 2.2L 5SFE).

Last edited by exdeath; 12-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #645
T2urtle
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
It's the perfect learning platform IMO, the pinnacle of EFI perfection post 80's rats nests but pre 2000s complexity and obfuscation where you can't work on your own car without being a programmer or having $10,000 in scopes and analyzers. It's like the simplest EFI engine there is (Toyota 2.2L 5SFE).
I would say its a perfect platform because things don't break often enough, lol.

Our 96 had similar problems, I found then plastic intake tube dry rotted and snapped at the first bend at the throttle body. Engine still leaks a little oil at what I believe to be from the rear main seal, but I don't want to tackle that. I did the cable cover gasket, thinking of getting a new o ring for the distributor and leaving the rear main be.
T2urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #646
evident
Lifer

I just spent the last 4 days in my freezing cold garage over my winter vacation/new years to complete my HID retrofit in my car. It was one of the most annoying projects i've ever done on my car simply because it was my first time doing alot of these things. it took me this long to complete the supposedly one of the easiest kits out there (mini morimoto h1's). on all of the retrofit websites i've been on people can do aretrofit in a day. unfortunately, i made quite a few rookie mistakes that set me back here and there. I'll post pictures up my cutoff and retrofitted lenses as soon as i clean them off!

pics

Last edited by evident; 01-02-2013 at 05:16 PM.
evident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #647
evident
Lifer

updated
evident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #648
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

08 z4m coupe 40k miles

Changed the air filter, oil, and plugs all with stock parts. Should've taken a couple of pics, but all looks healthy. I did the trans fluid a few months ago, and will do the diff fluid on the next oil change in 7500 miles.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #649
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evident View Post
updated

Wow looks good, do those level when you go over hills or are they fixed?
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #650
AMCRambler
Diamond Member

The 05 goat got new plugs wednesday night. Went with iridiums that are one step colder plugs. Old ones had some carbon built up but for 52,000 miles didn't look bad. Checked the gaps and all were still damn near .040. Probably could have gone another 20k miles. Anyhow, the new plugs seemed to smooth out the idle some and the butt dyno felt like it had pepped up the car some.

Next up finally install the LT headers that have been sitting in my basement. Been driving the car up till recently when we finally got some snow and real cold weather. After that braided stainless brake lines to go on if I can get the wife to pump the pedal for me.

He goes, you the same as me for my car.
Lean L
AMCRambler is offline   Reply With Quote