Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Programming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
xanis
Lifer
 
xanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 17,499
Default Apple is nuts - Video compression via JPG/JSON/canvas

One of my coworkers sent me this today. I did a search and didn't see it posted, so I figured I'd share. I'm not a developer by trade and my JS knowledge is limited, but I understand most of what's going on. Pretty awesome IMO.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...hQYpjQHR_d1WsI
xanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
postmortemIA
Diamond Member
 
postmortemIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 6,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanis View Post
One of my coworkers sent me this today. I did a search and didn't see it posted, so I figured I'd share. I'm not a developer by trade and my JS knowledge is limited, but I understand most of what's going on. Pretty awesome IMO.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...hQYpjQHR_d1WsI
awesome? it is a problem that any decent engineer /developer would be able to solve in a similar manner.
__________________
i7-3770, Intel DZ77SL-50K, VisionTek HD 7850, Dell 2707WFP, X25-M, X-Fi * PC Gamer Since 1991 *
postmortemIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
xanis
Lifer
 
xanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 17,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortemIA View Post
awesome? it is a problem that any decent engineer /developer would be able to solve in a similar manner.
*shrug* I'm not a developer or engineer, so it seemed pretty cool to me. Guess I'm easily amused.
xanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
mosco
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 918
Default

If you like this, its worth checking out:

https://github.com/sublimehq/anim_encoder
mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member
 
RampantAndroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,265
Default

Yeah, nothing found here that's really all that interesting other than the fact that the iphone can only display video tags at fullscreen. More like apple fails...
__________________
Nikon D7000 | 18-200mm VR | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 FX | 35mm f/1.8 prime | Tokina 11-16 Wide angle
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
mosco
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
Yeah, nothing found here that's really all that interesting other than the fact that the iphone can only display video tags at fullscreen. More like apple fails...
As someone who works for a digital media company working on mobile development on android/ios, I can tell you that android video tag is no saint.
mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member
 
RampantAndroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosco View Post
As someone who works for a digital media company working on mobile development on android/ios, I can tell you that android video tag is no saint.
Never said it was...I only picked up android a few days ago and have little to no experience.
__________________
Nikon D7000 | 18-200mm VR | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 FX | 35mm f/1.8 prime | Tokina 11-16 Wide angle
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Ichinisan
Lifer
 
Ichinisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Posts: 14,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortemIA View Post
awesome? it is a problem that any decent engineer /developer would be able to solve in a similar manner.
I suspect that you got sidetracked by the retina display thing.

This is cooler than that.
__________________
this is my signature.
Ichinisan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member
 
RampantAndroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinisan View Post
I suspect that you got sidetracked by the retina display thing.

This is cooler than that.
What exactly is a MPEG other than the 3 frame types (I, P, B) where you end up taking one I frame and then using the P and B frames as often as you can and the I frames as little as possible. What Apple did is basically took a limitation of their platform - not being able to use the video tag in a non-fullscreen way - and hacked together a rather inefficient and costly (processing wise) solution. A neat read through in terms of the math involved and the work they did - but not revolutionary...nor commendable.
__________________
Nikon D7000 | 18-200mm VR | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 FX | 35mm f/1.8 prime | Tokina 11-16 Wide angle
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
DannyBoy
Diamond Member
 
DannyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 8,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
What exactly is a MPEG other than the 3 frame types (I, P, B) where you end up taking one I frame and then using the P and B frames as often as you can and the I frames as little as possible. What Apple did is basically took a limitation of their platform - not being able to use the video tag in a non-fullscreen way - and hacked together a rather inefficient and costly (processing wise) solution. A neat read through in terms of the math involved and the work they did - but not revolutionary...nor commendable.
Limitation of Mobile WebKit, not the iOS platform, Android suffers the same limitations.
__________________
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Ichinisan
Lifer
 
Ichinisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Posts: 14,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
What exactly is a MPEG other than the 3 frame types (I, P, B) where you end up taking one I frame and then using the P and B frames as often as you can and the I frames as little as possible. What Apple did is basically took a limitation of their platform - not being able to use the video tag in a non-fullscreen way - and hacked together a rather inefficient and costly (processing wise) solution. A neat read through in terms of the math involved and the work they did - but not revolutionary...nor commendable.
It's neat. That's what it is.
__________________
this is my signature.
Ichinisan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Ichinisan
Lifer
 
Ichinisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Posts: 14,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
Limitation of Mobile WebKit, not the iOS platform, Android suffers the same limitations.
Strangely, the iPad seems to do embedded video just fine in iOS 6. I watched a clip on redlettermedia.com last night and it plays in the page with a full-screen option.
__________________
this is my signature.
Ichinisan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.