Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Moonbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 52,364
Default I was just thinking how ironic it would be if the climate deniers...

lose because of the weather. Their anti government stance screwed them with Katrina and Isaac screwed their convention, then along comes Sandy, the deadly lady that reversed Romney's momentum and tipped the race to Obama. It's not nice to stick your head in the sand and let the Mother Nature blow your ass away. Time to take climate change seriously, no?
__________________
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
First
Diamond Member
 
First's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,946
Default

lol, that's actually a pretty salient point there old Moonie.
First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Vic Vega
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,537
Default

This guy is completely insane. Using the suffering and hardship of millions of people to make callous and petty political jabs. It's cheap and crude. News flash, this type of radical posting is not helping your party and certainly is not drawing in logical, intellectual and educated independent voters the Democrat party is clamoring for.
Vic Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
Moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Moonbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 52,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
This guy is completely insane. Using the suffering and hardship of millions of people to make callous and petty political jabs. It's cheap and crude. News flash, this type of radical posting is not helping your party and certainly is not drawing in logical, intellectual and educated independent voters the Democrat party is clamoring for.
I would be mad too if somebody pointed out something that made me feel that all that death was my fault because I stood in the way of taking action to do something about climate change. It's amazing how upset people get when they're shown they are brain dead worthless scum. But don't you worry. I know way too much about people like you. And all I was trying to do was to advise you to stop fucking yourself in the ass. Stupidity in this area probably cost Republicans the election. Maybe if the sun comes out Romney's lies will start to impress people again and he will win.
__________________
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
IGBT
Lifer
 
IGBT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,699
Default

liberalism: symbolism over substance.
__________________
"Under my plan, energy prices would naturally skyrocket" - Barrack Hussein Obama.
gas was $1.84 a gallon prior to obama inauguration. The price of ALL goods and services (food) are tied to the price of transportation energy.
IGBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Vic Vega
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
I would be mad too if somebody pointed out something that made me feel that all that death was my fault because I stood in the way of taking action to do something about climate change. It's amazing how upset people get when they're shown they are brain dead worthless scum. But don't you worry. I know way too much about people like you. And all I was trying to do was to advise you to stop fucking yourself in the ass. Stupidity in this area probably cost Republicans the election. Maybe if the sun comes out Romney's lies will start to impress people again and he will win.
Seek professional help. That's not a slight.
Vic Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
Moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Moonbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 52,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
Seek professional help. That's not a slight.
I did. The professionals say climate change is real and that one consequence is are bigger and more dangerous storms. I find it ironic that the folk who deny will maybe have to pay a price. Priceless, no?
__________________
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
Juror No. 8
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
The professionals say climate change is real...
LOL, the "professionals" also said there were WMDs in Iraq. Did you believe they were telling the truth? Because they are "professionals"? LOL.

You must be a used car salesman's wet dream.

"But, but, but... I got a good deal on that old jalopy! The professional salesman said so!"

LOL!

Last edited by Juror No. 8; 11-05-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Juror No. 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer
 
DrPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 44,161
Default

One of my friends went to Cornell for climatology. I had a chance to chat with him over the summer.

Anyway, believe it or not, Moonbeam has a point - there's some irony here, not necessarily because Sandy had anything to do with global warming though.
__________________
Fainting Goats
DrPizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
boomerang
Lifer
 
boomerang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,540
Default

It's totally amazing to me that there are people out there that think Sandy was the result of human influence. I buried my mother nearly one year ago. She lived her life in fear. All day, every day she was afraid of something bad happening. She prepared for these bad things and had preparations within preparations. It was her obsession.

I can't imagine living my life everyday with that level of fear. I also can't imagine living my life with the feeling that I must find a way to get the power to control the climate for it may one day hurt me. Mental illness for certain and a hell of a way to live your life.

Complete and total control is at the heart of progressivism. All must be controlled to achieve a state of peace and harmony. It becomes such an overwhelming passion that the ends will always justify the means. Control the people, control the planet, control our orbit, control the sun - the quest for control will never end. Mental illness.

Global warming has been debunked time after time for what it truly is - an attempt by progressives to seize control. An attempt to get them one step closer to a perfect life, a perfect world, a perfect existence. This thread is based in irrational thought. It is the result of having too much free time on one's hands. Too much time to convince oneself that irrational thought is rational.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
CZroe
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Newnan, GA, USA
Posts: 14,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
One of my friends went to Cornell for climatology. I had a chance to chat with him over the summer.

Anyway, believe it or not, Moonbeam has a point - there's some irony here, not necessarily because Sandy had anything to do with global warming though.
No he doesn't. We were over-due for a storm like that and it's meaningless in the context of AGW. I think it's funny to see people support silly statements like this just because the person stating them has the same political leanings as themselves.
__________________
Me too. -Braindead AOLer

Last edited by CZroe; 11-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
MaxPayne63
Senior Member
 
MaxPayne63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 682
Default

It's pretty disgraceful how low AGW has sunk over the years. Today they basically spend their days hoping that there will be some form of natural disaster (the same that has been happening since long before there were humans on the earth) so they can climb up on top of a pile of coffins and scream that it wouldn't have happened if we paid higher taxes or voted for a different group of corrupt politicians.
MaxPayne63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
HomerJS
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
This guy is completely insane. Using the suffering and hardship of millions of people to make callous and petty political jabs. It's cheap and crude. News flash, this type of radical posting is not helping your party and certainly is not drawing in logical, intellectual and educated independent voters the Democrat party is clamoring for.
You mean like the religious right? The GOP favorite base group?
HomerJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Jaskalas
Lifer
 
Jaskalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 18,054
Default

Notice the dates. Sandy is only man made if you ignore history. Because it takes ignorant people to believe these things didn't happen before. You're being fed propaganda and producing !@#$. Knock it off.

If Bastardi is right, and we don't know that yet, then the cold PDO combined with a warm AMO will lead to multiple Northeast Hurricane strikes this decade. Just like in the 50s. Cause the ocean temperature has a 60 year cycle.

I'm willing to bet you'll be crying wolf each time. Cause you're ignorant.

Quote:
__________________
"Governor Romney, I'm glad that you recognize that Al-Qaeda is a threat.
Because a few months ago when you were asked ‘What’s the biggest geopolitical threat facing America?’ you said Russia!
Not Al-Qaeda, you said Russia and the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back
because... you know... the Cold War has been over for 20 years."

-President Obama, 2012 debate.
Jaskalas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
superccs
Senior Member
 
superccs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 998
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McO8H1b3D6k
__________________
I'll buy THAT for a dollar!
superccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
Nemesis 1
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,379
Default

Hay moonie stop with the climate thing until you explain why the WHOLE SOLAR SYSTEM is heating up . Its a fact that you reject, So you play these stupid games . You except the man made cause for weather change . But reject scientific fact that our solar system is heating up . Why do you get to pick and choose. No proof man has caused it . LOTS of Proof the whole solar system is heating up. LOTs and LOTS
Nemesis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
Nemesis 1
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskalas View Post
Notice the dates. Sandy is only man made if you ignore history. Because it takes ignorant people to believe these things didn't happen before. You're being fed propaganda and producing !@#$. Knock it off.

If Bastardi is right, and we don't know that yet, then the cold PDO combined with a warm AMO will lead to multiple Northeast Hurricane strikes this decade. Just like in the 50s. Cause the ocean temperature has a 60 year cycle.

I'm willing to bet you'll be crying wolf each time. Cause you're ignorant.
None of the storms of the 50s were like Sandy . Stop pretending they were. Lets see how The present noreaster turns out if Obummer wins . Its not going to be pleasant. You can take that to the bank
Nemesis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Darwin333
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis 1 View Post
None of the storms of the 50s were like Sandy . Stop pretending they were. Lets see how The present noreaster turns out if Obummer wins . Its not going to be pleasant. You can take that to the bank
Why would the noreaster be different depending on who wins the election?
__________________
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church
-probably not by Ferdinand Magellan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
bfdd
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,315
Default

I thought weather wasn't climate? Stupid moonbeam post. Storms have always happened. Why is the damage so severe? Oh I don't know why don't we look at pictures comparing areas now to 100 years ago. Pretty sure we'll see the cause of all the damage. It was us putting up a bunch of shit where bad crap happens.
bfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Munky
Diamond Member
 
Munky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,377
Default

I thought local weather events were not relevant to climate change? Or is that only when the climate zealots can use it in their favor? The climate freaks forgot to mention how Sandy was a category 1 hurricane on a scale of 1-5, and we've had much worse storms in the past. But what else can you expect from the religion of pseudoscience that's full of cherry picking and manipulating data...
__________________
Core i7 @ 3.2-3.8 / AMD 6950 / 12GB DDR3 1600 / Asus Xonar D2 / Samsung 275t / Logitech z5500
Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,041
Default

War of the worlds

"When my body is ready, it will push it out."

The Earth is ready, and the title is actually war against the world. We are about to be pushed out, we've been a splinter in the Earth for too long.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Moonbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 52,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juror No. 8 View Post
LOL, the "professionals" also said there were WMDs in Iraq. Did you believe they were telling the truth? Because they are "professionals"? LOL.

You must be a used car salesman's wet dream.

"But, but, but... I got a good deal on that old jalopy! The professional salesman said so!"

LOL!
Thank you. It's good to hear the opinion of a professional moron. A lot of them, however get paid for theirs. There are, however, a different kind of professionals called scientists who are bound by experiment and data to corroborate their ideas so no, I'm not your wet dream.
__________________
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
desy
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,811
Default

weather events are barometric indicators of climate, increased strength and frequency is the result. Hardly magic turn the heat up on a pot of water it boils.
There are fewer climate skeptics as the months and years go by, now all they argue is the impact of AGW and rightly so. Mitigating and improving modeling should be where the effort goes in the future.
I doubt they will get it right anytime soon, however like every puzzle on earth mankind moves forward incrimentally with greater knowledge and depth
desy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
bfdd
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desy View Post
weather events are barometric indicators of climate, increased strength and frequency is the result. Hardly magic turn the heat up on a pot of water it boils.
There are fewer climate skeptics as the months and years go by, now all they argue is the impact of AGW and rightly so. Mitigating and improving modeling should be where the effort goes in the future.
I doubt they will get it right anytime soon, however like every puzzle on earth mankind moves forward incrimentally with greater knowledge and depth
Except the world hasn't really warmed and it has been warmer. Basically everyone is bitching about the unknown because they're scared children. We aren't going through anything unusual.
bfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #25
Moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Moonbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 52,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
It's totally amazing to me that there are people out there that think Sandy was the result of human influence. I buried my mother nearly one year ago. She lived her life in fear. All day, every day she was afraid of something bad happening. She prepared for these bad things and had preparations within preparations. It was her obsession.

I can't imagine living my life everyday with that level of fear. I also can't imagine living my life with the feeling that I must find a way to get the power to control the climate for it may one day hurt me. Mental illness for certain and a hell of a way to live your life.

Complete and total control is at the heart of progressivism. All must be controlled to achieve a state of peace and harmony. It becomes such an overwhelming passion that the ends will always justify the means. Control the people, control the planet, control our orbit, control the sun - the quest for control will never end. Mental illness.

Global warming has been debunked time after time for what it truly is - an attempt by progressives to seize control. An attempt to get them one step closer to a perfect life, a perfect world, a perfect existence. This thread is based in irrational thought. It is the result of having too much free time on one's hands. Too much time to convince oneself that irrational thought is rational.
I'm very sorry about your Mother. Your post is one of the most important I have read here because it explains everything. Thank you.
__________________
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.