· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #26
pyonir
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGTA View Post
Bark scorpions and black widows can kill infants, small children, elderly and small pets.

I realize Australia has plenty of venomous creatures, but that's not the case in the USA.
Ignore him. He's trolling, like usual.

FunTrivia - Yes, I realize it's a referral, but I'd appreciate it. I get a few (useless) points if you sign up.
pyonir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #27
vi edit
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeze View Post
Isn't Phoenix boring? I can't stand land-locked cities, just feel trapped. Also I guess they wouldn't have as awesome Asian food like bigger coastal cities (don't care much for mexican). I spent a day in Phoenix & stayed in Scottsdale. It's clean and cute, but just felt so... uneventful.
If you are used to being in the thick of things in a enormous and busy city like NYC then yeah, Phoenix is going to be boring. It's just a different place. It's a city that you realistically can golf any day of the year (although it's pretty f'n hot in the summer), wear shorts almost day of the year, and have access to a huge number of things in fairly short drive or cheap flight from southwest. $50 on certain deals and you can hop a long weekend all over the SW/West coast. It's a 6 hour drive from Vegas, 2 hours to skiing in Flagstaff, 4 hours from the Grand Canyon, 5-6 to some very cool rock climing and more skiing in Utah, tons of camping all over northern AZ.

There's endless amounts of mountain biking, hiking, golfing, and off roading stuff to do if that's your thing.

If you need an Asian influence then it's not your place. It's pure southwest so very hispanic influenced.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #28
Zeze
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi edit View Post
If you are used to being in the thick of things in a enormous and busy city like NYC then yeah, Phoenix is going to be boring. It's just a different place. It's a city that you realistically can golf any day of the year (although it's pretty f'n hot in the summer), wear shorts almost day of the year, and have access to a huge number of things in fairly short drive or cheap flight from southwest. $50 on certain deals and you can hop a long weekend all over the SW/West coast. It's a 6 hour drive from Vegas, 2 hours to skiing in Flagstaff, 4 hours from the Grand Canyon, 5-6 to some very cool rock climing and more skiing in Utah, tons of camping all over northern AZ.

There's endless amounts of mountain biking, hiking, golfing, and off roading stuff to do if that's your thing.

If you need an Asian influence then it's not your place. It's pure southwest so very hispanic influenced.
Good stuff, thanks. Also Sedona is only 2 hours away... absolute beauty of a place.
Zeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #29
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoboat View Post
Prescott.
Oops.

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #30
IronWing
Lifer

Scottsdale people like their expensive cars. There is an okay Persian restaurant there.
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
ArizonaSteve

Will try to post later. I live in North Phoenix/Scottdale. Do you have any specific questions?
ArizonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #32
KeithTalent
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeze View Post
Good stuff, thanks. Also Sedona is only 2 hours away... absolute beauty of a place.
But boring as shit.

KT
KeithTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #33
TallBill
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaSteve View Post
Will try to post later. I live in North Phoenix/Scottdale. Do you have any specific questions?
Nash. Just trying to figure out the best area to settle. Might just see if there's a place to rent a room for a week and then figure out where to rent.

Slammin!
TallBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #34
nboy22
Diamond Member

Some nicer areas around Phoenix are Gilbert and Chandler, I've seen some nice places in Scottsdale, and north Phoenix. You are going to be paying more to live in Scottsdale, but it isn't that bad depending on what job you have. Gilbert and Chandler will have much newer homes for the most part, and they be a bit cheaper for what you get. The compromise is the commute to your workplace, so I would find a job first and then find a more permanent place to live. If you want to buy a nice house on the cheap but have a long commute (45 minutes - 1 hour 20 minutes) choose Casa Grande, Queen Creek, or San Tan Valley.

Heatware: bclark22
nboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #35
TallBill
Lifer

Found a place called Scottsdale park suites. 3.8 miles south of "downtown". Small places, but fully furnished with tvs with all utilities including wifi and cable for $1200 a month. Seems like a perfect way to move to the area if its halfway decent.

Slammin!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
DAGTA
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBill View Post
Found a place called Scottsdale park suites. 3.8 miles south of "downtown". Small places, but fully furnished with tvs with all utilities including wifi and cable for $1200 a month. Seems like a perfect way to move to the area if its halfway decent.
I haven't looked lately, but rents for nice 2 bedroom places in South Scottsdale were down to around $850 a few years ago. You can probably find cheaper than $1200 for something nice.
DAGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #37
Skel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGTA View Post
I haven't looked lately, but rents for nice 2 bedroom places in South Scottsdale were down to around $850 a few years ago. You can probably find cheaper than $1200 for something nice.
Not including all utilities.

Xbox tag: Skel Re
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #38
TallBill
Lifer

Its a temp place too.

Slammin!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #39
Skel
Diamond Member

I know where you're talking about now. That's down the street from where I am. It's a nice enough area of town, not what you'll see up north but definitely not the barrio.

Xbox tag: Skel Re
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #40
TallBill
Lifer

Just signed my lease. Move in on Dec 1

Slammin!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #41
mizzou
Diamond Member

Good luck with the move. It is certainly an interesting place, I would say it's a love it or hate it kind of area.
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #42
cheezy321
Diamond Member

Wow already made the decision huh?

I used to live in Scottsdale before I bought a house, right off of Hayden and Camelback. It was about 1.5 miles away from all the nightlife.

If you bartend there are a TON of jobs in old town. Big clubs / bars = Smashboxx/DollHouse, Axis Radius, El Hefe, Firehouse, White Knight and Spanish Fly. They also just tore down a bunch of clubs and are building a huge outdoor beach club. I also had a friend who just left his bartending job @ W hotel in downtown Scottsdale and moved to Austin. There might be an opening there. PM me if you want me to get you in touch with the right person.

I bought a house in arcadia which is sandwiched between old town Scottsdale and the biltmore area. Its a great area and I definitely suggest checking it out if you decide to become more settled here.

If you are looking for a good bartending gig you will either land in Old town Scottsdale or Tempe / Mill ave area. There are also some nice places downtown where you could bartend, possibly at a hotel like the Clarendon.

Let me know if you want any more info. I went to school at ASU and used to go out quite a bit. If anything I could give you a list of places to hit up for jobs.

The biggest problem with America is not faceless corporate forces; the biggest problem with America is people who blame faceless corporate forces instead of accepting accountability for their own lives. - Chuck Klosterman

Last edited by cheezy321; 11-05-2012 at 01:10 AM.
cheezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #43
TallBill
Lifer

Yeah lol. I guess I knew I was ready for something new.

Slammin!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #44
Zeze
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBill View Post
Just signed my lease. Move in on Dec 1
Congrats. At least one of us will be in shorts this winter.

Fvck you.
Zeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #45
jlee
Lifer

I moved to Mesa from NH a year ago. PM me if you need anything. I love it here.