· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #1951
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

deleted

Last edited by ManBearPig; 02-27-2014 at 09:45 PM.
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #1952
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazaam View Post
I think I might change out some springs on this sucker. Really enjoying it. Everyone who I have let hold it loves the feel too.
It should function with what was factory installed. What leads you to believe you need to replace parts, beyond say...the grips?

Quote:
I've always just heard it makes the DA pull a lot nicer and reduces the strength it takes to rack the slide. Think the springs are rated for +p+ ammo the Czech MPs use. Only a few bucks so its not a big deal. Mostly I just wanna tinker with it.
Fire it first. Also, it's a 9mm so you WANT to be able to fire +P+ for defense. I only load my 1911 with +P for defense when firing hollowpoints. Racking the slide should be a non-issue. It's just going to be a little hard until you learn to do it right. My 1911 has a 23lb spring on it...which is one of the most painful springs to fight with when pulling the slide back...but I do it without issue, so I don't want to hear it

Instead, look into a trigger pull modification, which will have zero effect on the recoil sping.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Last edited by RampantAndroid; 11-05-2012 at 04:42 AM.
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #1953
onza
Diamond Member

Range report -

All targets were at 8 yards.
Test fired the SIG P938 (9mm) - First time shooting this gun and my impression is this, very accurate side arm for the size, the trigger hurts like hell from the recoil but it's probably a "not used to it" type thing.
1 - This was the first gun + first clip of the night.

2 - Towards the end of the night after 80ish rounds

Glock 22 (.40 cal) - first time shooting this gun groupings where everywhere.

Walther PPS - My personal carry gun
Average groupings, this was after the glock 22.
Edited: 11/01/2004 at 09:21 PM by AnandTech Moderator
SC2: Lusid:160

Last edited by onza; 11-05-2012 at 07:46 AM.
onza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #1954
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

How far from the targets?
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #1955
onza
Diamond Member

Sorry - I'll add that to my topic.

All targets were at 8 yards.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #1956
Farmer
Diamond Member

Quote:
I've always just heard it makes the DA pull a lot nicer and reduces the strength it takes to rack the slide. Think the springs are rated for +p+ ammo the Czech MPs use. Only a few bucks so its not a big deal. Mostly I just wanna tinker with it.
The one thing a lot of people recommend for the CZ75 is to get the comp hammer installed and the trigger tuned by CZcustom. This makes the DA and SA pulls lighter. People have noted "drastic" improvement over the factor pull. If you change the springs out, I'm sure it'll make for a better range gun. It all depends on what you want to use it for.

As for me, I'm actually pretty satisfied with how the trigger is now, I'm getting used to the DA. I think I'll keep this gun stock.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #1957
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

deleted

Old 11-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #1958
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
Also, what is barrel bushing?
The part at the end of the slide which the barrel goes through.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #1959
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

deleted

Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #1960
Farmer
Diamond Member

You can grease up the barrel if you want. The most important part to lube on the barrel are the locking lugs in front of the chamber, put a light coat on those, you'll want to reduce friction there.

On certain parts, the finish will wear almost instantly: the hammer, where it hits the pin, the part of the trigger close to its hinge, the slide rail, and the rod of the takedown lever. This wear doesn't effect function (if anything it makes the function smoother).
Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #1961
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
You can grease up the barrel if you want. The most important part to lube on the barrel are the locking lugs in front of the chamber, put a light coat on those, you'll want to reduce friction there.

On certain parts, the finish will wear almost instantly: the hammer, where it hits the pin, the part of the trigger close to its hinge, the slide rail, and the rod of the takedown lever. This wear doesn't effect function (if anything it makes the function smoother).
This - the finish will just wear in come places. Tennifer is the only finish I've never seen wear much.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #1962
coxmaster
Platinum Member

Got this guy in today.. Can't wait to try it out

Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #1963
onza
Diamond Member

Drying my ammo before I store it!

What 1600 rounds looks like.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #1964
coxmaster
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onza View Post

Can I have the brass after you shoot it??
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #1965
onza
Diamond Member

If you drive down to MN, sure.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #1966
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:

Isn't this what desiccant is for? Buy a large package of those things, put one or two in each large container of ammo

I think I've got something like 2500 rounds in storage right now...really need to pick up more 30-06 safe for my garand and some 12ga 00buck.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #1967
onza
Diamond Member

I'm a little more paranoid about moisture then that. I have packets in the ammo can's but I like them to be dried out of the box before I store them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
Isn't this what desiccant is for? Buy a large package of those things, put one or two in each large container of ammo

I think I've got something like 2500 rounds in storage right now...really need to pick up more 30-06 safe for my garand and some 12ga 00buck.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #1968
Phanuel
Golden Member

Yeah, I've got 1K in 5.56 and 1K in 9mm that I've just left in the boxes in a dry area of the house. *shrug* Water/moisture damage to live rounds, is that even really a concern?
Phanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #1969
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm a little more paranoid about moisture then that. I have packets in the ammo can's but I like them to be dried out of the box before I store them.
My view has always been "meh" - I shoot the oldest ammo first, but I have some 1970s Greek HXP ammo in enblock clips for my Garand. They weren't stored in the best condition, and you can see they were annealed, but every single one goes bang. I'm not that worried about moisture, but I'm also in WA which while rainy doesn't have any real humidity to speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
Yeah, I've got 1K in 5.56 and 1K in 9mm that I've just left in the boxes in a dry area of the house. *shrug* Water/moisture damage to live rounds, is that even really a concern?
Shouldn't be. The primer seats into the pocket tightly and shouldn't allow any water in, and that's only if you reload. If buying retail ammo, it'll probably have a sealant painted over the edges of the primer. It's usually red.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #1970
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
This - the finish will just wear in come places. Tennifer is the only finish I've never seen wear much.
There is Ionbond that they are using on some guns now. I think it's suppose to be the hardest, but it is thin.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #1971
velillen
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why not just get a dehumidifier for the cabinet or whatever you store the ammo at? Seems like it woul dbe easier than drying em like that and it would keep them from any moisture too (well to an extent)

As for me its not something i worry about to much (like Rampart im in WA though). I've shot ammo from back when my dad got it 30 years ago. He never stored it any special way. All of it shot perfectly.

As for what currently loaded ammo i have...not including 22lr...quick count and im around 3k or so....i think. With 22lr add in another 7k rounds lol.

Of course add in what i could be at (with my reloading components) and i have enough to have 13k or so (not including 22lr).....though i dont have enough brass to actually do that.

o yeah and Rampart did you get your Garand from CMP? Definitely started to get interested in getting one sometime in the next 6 months or so.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1972
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

deleted

Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #1973
coxmaster
Platinum Member

Quote:
Uh, speaking of ammo, can I just get the cheapest crap I find at Walmart? Or is that bad for the gun?
I used to shoot almost exclusively Winchester White Box, which was the cheapest brass cased 9mm from Walmart. But I've also shot plenty of Tula (steel cased) without any problem. It really isn't bad on the gun, but if you look around you'll find all kinds of people arguing back and forth about brass vs steel case.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #1974
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

This thread needs more pictures. Here's my GSG-5PK.

jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #1975
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Uh, speaking of ammo, can I just get the cheapest crap I find at Walmart? Or is that bad for the gun?
Generally, I'd avoid steel. It can affect the gun's lifespan if the gun isn't meant for it. More than that, some ranges won't allow it. Look at cheaper than dirt. Buy the cheapest FMJ rounds you can there, preferably in bulk (500 or 1000 round case.)

Tags
ammo, guns, pistol, rifle, yagt