· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #1301
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot24 View Post
I probably read that blog more than you. I'm talking about that poll.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/im...1/04/top16.pdf
Yes and on CNN it also claims the race is tied. It is like Ignoring the fact that in a car race one guy is two laps ahead of the other but saying the race is tied because both cars have equally loud engines.

The race is not tied up. Tied up indicates an equal standing and there isn't one. National polling is irrelevant. I know you have been told this and you know it but since you insist on still touting its relevance you will just have to see why, for real, on Tuesday.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #1302
buckshot24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Yes and on CNN it also claims the race is tied. It is like Ignoring the fact that in a car race one guy is two laps ahead of the other but saying the race is tied because both cars have equally loud engines.

The race is not tied up. Tied up indicates an equal standing and there isn't one. National polling is irrelevant. I know you have been told this and you know it but since you insist on still touting its relevance you will just have to see why, for real, on Tuesday.
Sigh...

Who the fuck was saying anything about the state of the race based upon that poll? -over the line, sorry-. Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups, and you're fucking up.

I'm talking about the internals of that poll. They have 41% Democrats and 30% Republicans and THEY have the two candidates tied IN THEIR FUCKING POLL. That's the only significance it has to me. If you have something to say about that, please do.

Last edited by buckshot24; 11-04-2012 at 10:31 PM.
buckshot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #1303
TraumaRN
Diamond Member

So apparently republicans and the Koch brothers are desparate to make things look better for them. American Future Fund was part of a poll in Minnesota that shows Romney up by one. Thing is AFF is a strongly republican organization. Somebody is flailing for headlines.

TraumaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #1304
buckshot24
Platinum Member

PPP is a poll owned by the Daily Kos should we disregard their results?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #1305
rockyct
Diamond Member

Quote:
No, they get averaged together with Rasmussen and everyone else. Although, Silver actually does give "house effects" to each pollster and uses that to "unskew" the polls: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...polling-firms/
rockyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #1306
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

I think today's Doonesbury sums up quite well what's going through the minds of a lot of people:
http://doonesbury.slate.com/
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #1307
Balt
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Dick Morris is on Greta right now saying Romney will get 325 including PA which 538 has a 97% change of romney NOT getting. I don't believe Morris believes this so what does he gain by lying? Oh and popular vote by more than 5 percent.
It keeps him on the air with Fox News. That's what he gains.
Balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #1308
buckshot24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyct View Post
No, they get averaged together with Rasmussen and everyone else. Although, Silver actually does give "house effects" to each pollster and uses that to "unskew" the polls: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...polling-firms/
I know.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #1309
TraumaRN
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm saying take the survey with a gigantic grain of salt. PPP has a known D lean. This poll when digging behind who funded is ridiculously Republican. I mean that in a way that this poll could practically be funded by the RNC.

TraumaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #1310
First
Diamond Member

Just released today, PPP has Obama up 4 in Virginia and up 5 in Ohio.

Poll after poll showing showing the same thing.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #1311
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Obama leads; Romney with chance in electoral race
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #1312
First
Diamond Member

Reality creeping in as state and national polls align: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...ter-alignment/

Repubs already talking about cooperation with Obama in 2nd term (or potential lack thereof) WRT tax increases on the wealthy: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...297.html?hp=l3

Any last minute predictions? Senate/House/POTUS?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #1313
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

My prediction is that this election will finally validate Silver as a God amongst mere pollsters.

Lord knows this wasn't an easy election to predict, with big October swings and Romney leading for weeks in the national polls.

But 48 hours from election day, both the state polls and national polls are falling in line with Silver's predictions (that he made in advance of the current trends).

Last edited by jpeyton; 11-05-2012 at 12:15 AM.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #1314
OneOfTheseDays
Diamond Member

This has definitely not been an easy election to predict, and if Obama wins we will likely see Nate Silver rise above the fray as the undisputed king of election forecasting.

My predictions all along have been the following:

-Obama wins reelection
-Dems pickup a few more Senate seats and retain majority
-Dems pickup a few more House seats, Republicans retain majority

All in all a net loss for the GOP. Hopefully this sends a strong signal to the GOP to stop their obstructionist ways and get back to governance, but you never know. They may just want to run their party dead into the ground.
OneOfTheseDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #1315
bunnyfubbles
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheseDays View Post
This has definitely not been an easy election to predict, and if Obama wins we will likely see Nate Silver rise above the fray as the undisputed king of election forecasting.

-Obama wins reelection

All in all a net loss for the GOP. Hopefully this sends a strong signal to the GOP to stop their obstructionist ways and get back to governance, but you never know. They may just want to run their party dead into the ground.
considering how trash both parties are right now, I wouldn't mind if one of them dies so the other can die as well
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz + XSPC Raystorm/EX280/D5 | ASUS Sabertooth X79 | EVGA GeForce GTX780 | 4x4GB Samsung Green DDR3 @ 1866 CAS9 1.5v | 2x256GB Samsung 830 RAID-0 | 3 x 1.5TB Hitachi 7K3000 RAID-0 | 2 x 3TB Seagate 7200.14 RAID-0 | Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 x64 | Creative X-Fi Titanium HD | Seasonic Platinum-1000 | Silverstone FT02B-WRI | BenQ XL2420T | Dell U2711 | Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Red | Razer Abyssus + Goliathus Speed | Beyerdynamic MMX300 / Astro A40 2013
bunnyfubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #1316
rockyct
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheseDays View Post

-Obama wins reelection

I think Nate's only really special because he uses statistics to get a result and then publicly stands behind that result. He's also not a journalist so he doesn't have to look impartial when there is a clear but not huge favorite. Asking a journalist who's gong to win an election when the candidates are less than 10 points apart was, and still is, a fairly stupid question.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #1317
jpeyton

Quote:
Originally Posted by First View Post
Repubs already talking about cooperation with Obama in 2nd term (or potential lack thereof) WRT tax increases on the wealthy: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...297.html?hp=l3
Ram it through like Obamacare.

No need to worry about re-election in 2016. Shove those millionaire tax breaks up the GOP's asses.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #1318
Farang
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyct View Post
I think Nate's only really special because he uses statistics to get a result and then publicly stands behind that result. He's also not a journalist so he doesn't have to look impartial when there is a clear but not huge favorite. Asking a journalist who's gong to win an election when the candidates are less than 10 points apart was, and still is, a fairly stupid question.
If Silver is vindicated, journalists should face hard questions as to their coverage. As the race stands Obama is clearly the favorite by any measurable metric but only a few pundits have been willing to say it. The media has felt obligated to call it a toss-up because of the usual 'he said she said' approach where they think presenting both sides evenly means they are doing they're job.

The media needs to serve to public again rather than just being the filter through which both sides spew their rhetoric, if only in equal amounts.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #1319
uclaLabrat
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Ram it through like Obamacare.

No need to worry about re-election in 2016. Shove those millionaire tax breaks up the GOP's asses.
I liked that article a lot, I hope Obama comes out playing hardball this time....we'll see
uclaLabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #1320
jpeyton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang View Post
If Silver is vindicated, journalists should face hard questions as to their coverage. As the race stands Obama is clearly the favorite by any measurable metric but only a few pundits have been willing to say it. The media has felt obligated to call it a toss-up because of the usual 'he said she said' approach where they think presenting both sides evenly means they are doing they're job.

The media needs to serve to public again rather than just being the filter through which both sides spew their rhetoric, if only in equal amounts.
You have to remember that a fair amount of media rhetoric and punditry is designed to incite viewership, not provide a clear picture of the truth.

Fox News is arguably the best news network if you're ranking them on their ability to engage and monetize their base. CNN and the rest do it to a lesser degree, but they would rather have you glued to your TV set watching "toss-up" election night coverage than eating dinner at the table with Obama as the 9:1 favorite.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #1321
Farang
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
You have to remember that a fair amount of media rhetoric and punditry is designed to incite viewership, not provide a clear picture of the truth.

Fox News is arguably the best news network if you're ranking them on their ability to engage and monetize their base. CNN and the rest do it to a lesser degree, but they would rather have you glued to your TV set watching a "toss-up" election than eating dinner at the table with Obama as the 9:1 favorite.
I agree this is partly the reason for the tendency to call it a 'toss-up,' I maintain the other reason is that lazy journalism prevails and that is taking two opposing views and restating them with equal weight.

I don't know if we've had an election that will "surprise" the mainstream more than this one, though. I mean if Obama gets 303 electoral votes, how are pundits going to justify their calling it a toss-up before election day, when all signs pointed to his victory being exactly that?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #1322
rockyct
Diamond Member

Quote:

I do feel bad for journalists in general. They know pretty much what Silver knows but aren't really allowed to say it. There is definitely a false equivalency bias but I don't blame them too much for having that when talking about who's going to win an election.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #1323
rockyct
Diamond Member

Quote:
I agree this is partly the reason for the tendency to call it a 'toss-up,' I maintain the other reason is that lazy journalism prevails and that is taking two opposing views and restating them with equal weight.

I don't know if we've had an election that will "surprise" the mainstream more than this one, though. I mean if Obama gets 303 electoral votes, how are pundits going to justify their calling it a toss-up before election day, when all signs pointed to his victory being exactly that?
They'll say that Sandy gave Obama an opportunity to generate a late, but significant edge in the final week of the election.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #1324
Moonbeam
Elite Member

According to Sam Wang of the Princeton Election Consortium, whose models are based on current state by state polling after running 2.3 quadrillion possible outcomes, Obama's chances of reelection are now 97%
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #1325
DominionSeraph
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
According to Sam Wang of the Princeton Election Consortium, whose models are based on current state by state polling after running 2.3 quadrillion possible outcomes, Obama's chances of reelection are now 97%
Goddamn it.

I'd gladly watch this country go down the shitter just to put Fox News and the conservatards here in the position where they have to apologize for President Romney for the next 4 years. 4 more years of their hate-filled mindless complaining is going to be too much to bear.

"P&N: Not Quite as Bad as Stormfront"
DominionSeraph is online now   Reply With Quote