· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
dotdude

Exclamation Urgent - Win8 final bricked install: "NTDLR IS MISSING"

This is urgent, pls help guys. The machine had a brand new (~1hr old) install of Win8 Pro, and (in this instance, while installing the latest beta AMD Catalyst drivers), the machine crashed (showed a blue screen with a huge frownie face, and restarted). Then upon reboot, instead of booting into Win8, I get a black screen and:

NTDLR is missing.
Press Alt+Ctrl+Del to reboot.

That's it. Repair doesn't work. The same thing happened earlier with the same exact machine and the same exact circumstances, except it was the final release preview build of Win8 - I thought that after formatting and installing the final it wouldn't happen, but here we are again. What the heck is wrong with it - what causes this?
dotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
berryracer
Golden Member

do yourself a favor and go back to Windows 7 FTW
GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 770M SLI 6 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 2x Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD
berryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
OVerLoRDI
Diamond Member

Fixmbr. Not sure how win8 recovery console, Google it and see.
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=73710
OVerLoRDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
C1
Golden Member

A guess is that something changed the pointer to the NT Loader in the MBR. Technically not a big deal so dont panic and erase everything. First make sure in the BIOS that the drive shows up okay and the boot order is correct. Technically you could download NTFS DOS and just fix the MBR manually (ie, just change the pointer to NTLDR). Or use the repair console on your OS disk (which is the preferred way). Here's an old instruction for XP, but looks like it should still pretty much be applicable to even WIN Hate.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...rmissingxp.htm

Worse comes to worst then just take it to a computer shop in they'll have it running in a couple minutes.
C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #5
Bubbaleone
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdude View Post
This is urgent, pls help guys. The machine had a brand new (~1hr old) install of Win8 Pro, and (in this instance, while installing the latest beta AMD Catalyst drivers), the machine crashed (showed a blue screen with a huge frownie face, and restarted). Then upon reboot, instead of booting into Win8, I get a black screen and:

NTDLR is missing.
Press Alt+Ctrl+Del to reboot.

That's it. Repair doesn't work. The same thing happened earlier with the same exact machine and the same exact circumstances, except it was the final release preview build of Win8 - I thought that after formatting and installing the final it wouldn't happen, but here we are again. What the heck is wrong with it - what causes this?
Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 utilize BOOTMGR, not NTLDR. NTLDR is utilized by Windows 2000 and XP. So you need to fully describe your old configuration, prior to attempting to install Windows 8, and how you went about preparing your HDD for the new installation. It sounds like you're either attempting to dual-boot XP and 8 or you botched formatting your HDD that contained XP.

I haven't personally run Windows 8, but regarding the blue screen with frownie face; that doesn't sound like a Microsoft feature, it happened while you were installing a driver, and if you didn't previously have XP installed the "NTLDR is missing" message sounds very much like a malware or virus spoof accomplished by injecting code into the boot sector.

Last edited by Bubbaleone; 11-05-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Bubbaleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbaleone View Post
Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 utilize BOOTMGR, not NTLDR. NTLDR is utilized by Windows 2000 and XP. So you need to fully describe your old configuration, prior to attempting to install Windows 8, and how you went about preparing your HDD for the new installation. It sounds like you're either attempting to dual-boot XP and 8 or you botched formatting your HDD that contained XP.

I haven't personally run Windows 8, but regarding the blue screen with frownie face; that doesn't sound like a Microsoft feature, it happened while you were installing a driver, and if you didn't previously have XP installed the "NTLDR is missing" message sounds very much like a malware or virus spoof accomplished by injecting code into the boot sector.

Two things:

1) The frownie face is in fact a Microsoft feature. It's on the new Win8 BSOD. http://www.webpronews.com/windows-8-...-a-sad-2011-09

2) NTLDR is sometimes a generic error from the BIOS. So it can appear even without Windows XP being present. It doesn't really change what it implies though: that something in the boot chain is missing. If fixmbr + fixboot + Bootcfg /rebuild can't fix it, then I'm not really sure what could.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them

Last edited by ViRGE; 11-05-2012 at 04:46 AM.
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
vshin

I got this same error when I tried to install Win 8 on a fresh SSD. I had to change the boot priority on my BIOS setting to check the CDROM first, and this allowed the install to continue. Using custom install, I then selected the SSD as the destination for the OS. Just got to remember to switch the boot priority back to SDD first after the first restart.
vshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Cebu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshin View Post
I got this same error when I tried to install Win 8 on a fresh SSD. I had to change the boot priority on my BIOS setting to check the CDROM first, and this allowed the install to continue. Using custom install, I then selected the SSD as the destination for the OS. Just got to remember to switch the boot priority back to SDD first after the first restart.
I got the same error message when booting up and did the same thing quoted above and it worked. No big deal.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
SimMike2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshin View Post
You can keep the CDROM first in your boot sequence. This is what I do because occassionally I like to boot to CD to run something like Acronis True Image. If there is nothing in the drive, or a disk that isn't bootable, it will go right to your next device.
SimMike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
reallyscrued
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
Two things:

1) The frownie face is in fact a Microsoft feature. It's on the new Win8 BSOD. http://www.webpronews.com/windows-8-...-a-sad-2011-09
We need a thread to make fun of this.

Seriously? They're dumbing it down that much? It's like Microsoft doesn't even want my money.

AMD Phenom II BE965 - 4.0 Ghz || Gigabyte 7850 2GB - 1050/5500 || GA-MA790X-UD4P - 240 Mhz FSB
4 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 - 800 Mhz || WD Caviar Black 1TB || WD Caviar Green 2TB
Denon AVR-591 || Pioneer SP-FS51/C21/BS-41 || BIC F12 || Klipsch RW-12D || Sennheiser HD 202-II || Panasonic TC-P50U50
reallyscrued is offline   Reply With Quote