· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Default Good cardio workout?

So I'm trying to find the right cardio regiment for me with no luck so far.

I've tried beginners HIIT (15sec work/60 sec low intensity). I do this on the bike or elliptical but I seem to vomit or nearly vomit every time (grant it, I go pretty hard on the work part 160 rpm on the bike / 250 rpm on elliptical).

I recently tried insanity and I just can't do it. It's not really an endurance thing but about 2 years ago I fractured my foot and tore ligaments on a fall. When I do a lot of jumping (which is a common theme in insanity), I experience excruciating pain. I mean I literally have to ice to foot for days after to be able to walk without a limp.

So what are my options? Note: running on the foot is more or less fine. Slight pain but nothing that would prevent me from doing it.

Member, Official AnandTech Bar Association

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Corporate Thug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
vi edit
Super Moderator

Uh, what's your goal here? The reasonable person in me says that if it's just for general fitness then knock back the intensity and up the duration on a the elliptical or bike. Keep your HR in fat burning mode (140-160 bpm) for 30+ minutes and you'll be burning calories.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi edit View Post
Uh, what's your goal here? The reasonable person in me says that if it's just for general fitness then knock back the intensity and up the duration on a the elliptical or bike. Keep your HR in fat burning mode (140-160 bpm) for 30+ minutes and you'll be burning calories.
weight loss / fat loss.

From what I've learned speaking w/ trainers and reading up on fitness forms, HIIT is the most effective way of achieving these goals.

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Pantlegz
Diamond Member

I despise cardio, my HIIT intervals are normally distance based with the low intensity timed and the work a set distance as fast as possible. I try to keep it between 20-40 yards of all out sprinting then the same distance at a decent pace about 1 yard every 1-2 seconds. Stairs are another good option if they wont bother your foot too much.

Are you working towards anything in particular or just want a little better cardio?

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
Pantlegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
vi edit
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Thug View Post
weight loss / fat loss.

From what I've learned speaking w/ trainers and reading up on fitness forms, HIIT is the most effective way of achieving these goals.
The "most effective" workout is the one you can do and stick with. If you can't do HITT because of the impact or abuse then you need to look into other options.

I'm not personally sold on HITT as the be all end all. How many fat distance runners have you seen? How about cyclists?

Just saying. Proper diet + moderate intensity cardio + weights = healthy body.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi edit View Post
The "most effective" workout is the one you can do and stick with. If you can't do HITT because of the impact or abuse then you need to look into other options.

I'm not personally sold on HITT as the be all end all. How many fat distance runners have you seen? How about cyclists?

Just saying. Proper diet + moderate intensity cardio + weights = healthy body.
While I agree that the most effective workout is the one you stick with, your argument about fat distance runners doesn't really hold up. If you go to a marathon race, probably 1/3 to 1/4 of the people actually participating are not within the optimal range for body composition.

I like HIIT, but I also like not overdoing it. When I'm not in the mood, slow steady cardio within a comfortable or slightly uncomfortable range does the job just fine. Weight/fat loss is mainly going to be a function of diet. Exercise is just an added health bonus.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
mple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyChallenged View Post
While I agree that the most effective workout is the one you stick with, your argument about fat distance runners doesn't really hold up. If you go to a marathon race, probably 1/3 to 1/4 of the people actually participating are not within the optimal range for body composition.

I like HIIT, but I also like not overdoing it. When I'm not in the mood, slow steady cardio within a comfortable or slightly uncomfortable range does the job just fine. Weight/fat loss is mainly going to be a function of diet. Exercise is just an added health bonus.
Agreed. Diet can handle weight loss 100%. Have the willpower to put down the 400 calories donuts in the AM and you won't have to do 40-60 minutes of dreaded cardio to make up for it. I do around 200 cals (30 minutes) worth of LISS at the end of my lifts if I feel like adding a 1 pop tart pastry to my dinner. Gotta earn those cals.
mple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mple View Post
Agreed. Diet can handle weight loss 100%. Have the willpower to put down the 400 calories donuts in the AM and you won't have to do 40-60 minutes of dreaded cardio to make up for it. I do around 200 cals (30 minutes) worth of LISS at the end of my lifts if I feel like adding a 1 pop tart pastry to my dinner. Gotta earn those cals.
my diet is pretty clean...low sugars/ low sat fat / low carbs / next to no junk food. I probably consume on average no more than 1300 - 1500 in calories per day.

Dinner is usually fish (salmon or talapia), check break sandwich (only ketchup), or 93% lean burger (nothing in it but low fat cheese and a little ketchup).

Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
mple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Thug View Post
my diet is pretty clean...low sugars/ low sat fat / low carbs / next to no junk food. I probably consume on average no more than 1300 - 1500 in calories per day.

Dinner is usually fish (salmon or talapia), check break sandwich (only ketchup), or 93% lean burger (nothing in it but low fat cheese and a little ketchup).
Without knowing your stats, that honestly sounds dangerously low. I'm 5'5 135lbs and my cutting diet is 1700 kcals with little to no cardio unless I plan on devouring a pint of Ben & Jerry's post workout.

You should start here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Barring some underlying medical conditions I may not be aware of, free yourself from the notion of "dirty" or "clean" foods, add fats (including sat fats) back into your diet, and start working the foods you actually enjoy into your diet.
mple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

incline treadmill walking while watching tv.
swimming
muay thai