· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
sportage
Diamond Member

This assault on voting is no lesser then pure Communism taking over America.
Shit... anyone encouraging this might as well be supporting Fidel Castro as president.
Talk about anti government party. I never thought I'd see the day when a party became pro Communism. And no one really cares? NO ONE really cares?
This is acceptable as a winning tactic? Voter suppression?
Every republican state governor involved with this tactic should be arrested, tried in US federal court, and given the same sentence handed down to traitors of the US government.
Yet the media, and the public, just shake their head and considers this part of the game.
We might as well allow Fidel Castro as a third party write-in.
And I'm am absolutely sure, no question about it that plenty of Michele Bachmann's would gladly and openly support Fidel over Obama.
By the way, I wonder if Michele, FL Governor Rick Scott, or Rush Limbaugh have ever been asked straight out who they'd prefer if it came down between either Obama or Fidel?

ORLANDO, Fla
U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson and other Democrats asked Gov. Rick Scott this past week to use his emergency powers to extend early voting.
Scott and state election officials, however, turned down the extension requests.

And every one of them should be tried in court as traitors to the US government, plain and simple.
Especially Pennsylvania Republican House Leader Mike Turzai, and Florida Governor Rick Scott. Both, traitors plotting against the US government.
sportage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #27
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

^ Translated

Democrats discover that their 10 page ballot takes too long to complete and sue to get early voting extended in their county. Governor follows state law that requires a real emergency to extend early voting.
Londo_Jowo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
Darwin333
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londo_Jowo View Post
Yet all who were in line at 7pm was allowed to vote so no voter suppression found.

Yet another crybaby techs fail thread
True, but having to wait until 1am is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperus View Post
Why would it matter. You think it will get better on Tues? Why should anyone wait over 1 hour to vote. People, talk up freedoms, isn't voting the fundamental tool we have for freedom?
Londo is technically right, their right to vote is not being denied, but it is still absurd and unacceptable that they had to wait so long.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
Darwin333
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportage View Post
This assault on voting is no lesser then pure Communism taking over America.
Shit... anyone encouraging this might as well be supporting Fidel Castro as president.
Talk about anti government party. I never thought I'd see the day when a party became pro Communism. And no one really cares? NO ONE really cares?
This is acceptable as a winning tactic? Voter suppression?
Every republican state governor involved with this tactic should be arrested, tried in US federal court, and given the same sentence handed down to traitors of the US government.
Yet the media, and the public, just shake their head and considers this part of the game.
We might as well allow Fidel Castro as a third party write-in.
And I'm am absolutely sure, no question about it that plenty of Michele Bachmann's would gladly and openly support Fidel over Obama.
By the way, I wonder if Michele, FL Governor Rick Scott, or Rush Limbaugh have ever been asked straight out who they'd prefer if it came down between either Obama or Fidel?

ORLANDO, Fla
U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson and other Democrats asked Gov. Rick Scott this past week to use his emergency powers to extend early voting.
Scott and state election officials, however, turned down the extension requests.

And every one of them should be tried in court as traitors to the US government, plain and simple.
Especially Pennsylvania Republican House Leader Mike Turzai, and Florida Governor Rick Scott. Both, traitors plotting against the US government.
Charged as a traitor because people had to wait in long lines to vote but were nonetheless allowed to cast their vote?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #30
3chordcharlie
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why do you think they started doing early voting? Because in 2000 they had the same amount of lines. People chose to vote on Sat. because they probably couldn't get Tues off to vote.
Is that normal?

It's one of the non-negotiable aspects of Canadian employment. You are entitled to enough (defined as 3 consecutive hours while polls are open) time off work to cast a vote on election day. If your normal off-shift hours do not allow this, you are entitled to time off during your shift.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
DLeRium
Lifer

this is why people need to learn to start voting absentee or we need to move to online voting.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #32
MovingTarget
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chordcharlie View Post
Is that normal?

It's one of the non-negotiable aspects of Canadian employment. You are entitled to enough (defined as 3 consecutive hours while polls are open) time off work to cast a vote on election day. If your normal off-shift hours do not allow this, you are entitled to time off during your shift.
We need to get on this immediately. IIRC, there are no employment guarantees like this in the USA for election days. That is a damn shame.

Please....somebody correct me if I am wrong here. I desperately want to be wrong on this...
Old 11-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #33
MovingTarget
Diamond Member

Quote:
^ Translated

Democrats discover that their 10 page ballot takes too long to complete and sue to get early voting extended in their county. Governor follows state law that requires a real emergency to extend early voting.
No.

Florida is currently under a Republican administration. Their legislature is dominated by Republicans in both their state house and senate.

You can't play "pin the tail on the donkey" just because you want them to take the blame. Facts matter. You need to either provide a very good reason to back up your statement, or retract it entirely.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #34
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingTarget View Post
No.

Florida is currently under a Republican administration. Their legislature is dominated by Republicans in both their state house and senate.

You can't play "pin the tail on the donkey" just because you want them to take the blame. Facts matter. You need to either provide a very good reason to back up your statement, or retract it entirely.
Better go look at who's in charge in Miami-Dade county. These people are the ones that developed the 10 page ballot and chose the early voting location. Can't blame the Governor or State Legislature.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
MovingTarget
Diamond Member

Quote:
Better go look at who's in charge in Miami-Dade county. These people are the ones that developed the 10 page ballot and chose the early voting location. Can't blame the Governor or State Legislature.
An appeal to fix the situation was made to the proper authorities. They said no when it was in their power to do something about it.
Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla
I find it hard to believe that one county has that much direct power over balloting measures, ballot design, polling locations, polling hours, etc. as opposed to state election officials, especially for an election of state and national importance.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
Ryan
Lifer

Quote:
It's not really that bad: http://www.miamidade.gov/elections/s...11-6-12_sb.pdf

It's the translation into two separate languages that really fucks it up.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #37
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Quote:
An appeal to fix the situation was made to the proper authorities. They said no when it was in their power to do something about it.

I find it hard to believe that one county has that much direct power over balloting measures, ballot design, polling locations, polling hours, etc. as opposed to state election officials, especially for an election of state and national importance.
Go read post #22
Old 11-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #38
MovingTarget
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It's not really that bad: http://www.miamidade.gov/elections/s...11-6-12_sb.pdf

It's the translation into two separate languages that really fucks it up.
Agreed. If you take out the separate translations, it isn't that different from what I will be seeing here on Tuesday. I don't think the ballot is the issue here.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Quote:
Agreed. If you take out the separate translations, it isn't that different from what I will be seeing here on Tuesday. I don't think the ballot is the issue here.
Have you read post #22? So who's in charge of designating the polling stations?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #40
MovingTarget
Diamond Member

Quote:
Go read post #22
Yes, I see that the local election official for the county can set polling locations/hours/etc. What I also see is that the state law defines/restricts total hours per day for polling locations in addition to the number of days for early voting. That official does not control that part. The bottom line is that despite the limited control that Miami-Dade does have over voting, it is clearly insufficient given the "facts on the ground". If they do not have the resources required (machines, officials, time, etc.), then it does not matter about the level of control. Only state officials can correct that.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #41
JEDIYoda
Lifer

Quote:
I mean, how stupid are you? He is right on the money!!The people who waited to vote should be extolled. I'm sure people saw the line and decided not to vote. I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing not to spend 8 hours to vote. if the line is too long then you have a choice stay or leave to vote on another day.....

The fact you think differently speaks more to ur character than anything.
You are the oner with the character issue....or possibly the common sense issue...
Old 11-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #42
MustISO
Lifer

Around here it was 2 - 4hrs for early voting. I'm hoping this means it won't be so bad on Tuesday but still these places need to figure out how to be more efficient and get people in and on their way.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #43
amdhunter
Lifer

Florida. Again.
amdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #44
Fern
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdhunter View Post
Florida. Again.
^This^

We have a lot retirees in my area. After watching them take about 45 minutes or longer to complete their ballots when it should take no more than 5 minutes to make your selections and then review them I can easily see why it's such a mess in South Florida.

Fern

Last edited by Fern; 11-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #45
Emos
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
^This^

We have a lot retirees in my area. After watching them take about 45 minutes or longer to complete their ballots when it should take no more than 5 minutes to make your selections and then review them I can easily why it's such a mess in South Florida.

Fern
I live in SW FL, tried about every other day to do early voting but the lines were always 3+ hours long...so I'm taking my chances on Tuesday and waiting for as long as it takes.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #46
Incorruptible
Diamond Member

OP you complain that its taking 8 hours so then what is your solution to fix this?
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #47
Emos
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
OP you complain that its taking 8 hours so then what is your solution to fix this?
In my area (Lee County) only several of the voting precincts were open for early voting, thus the multiple hours wait no matter what time you showed up.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #48
OCNewbie
Diamond Member

I thought I heard that they did extend the voting hours today from like 12 -5 pm. Is that right?
OCNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #49
Lithium381
Lifer

but on tuesday there will be, what? 5x more polling stations available?
"This action has caused a division of the people into classes: Those the government deems valuable enough to protect with modern firearms, and those whose lives have been deemed as having less value, and whom the government has decided do not deserve the right to protect themselves with the same firearms." Olympic Arms > NY
"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns; it was called Schindler's List"
Lithium381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #50
Bowfinger
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium381 View Post
but on tuesday there will be, what? 5x more polling stations available?
And 20x more people lined up to vote?

"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett.
Bowfinger is offline   Reply With Quote