· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Remobz
Golden Member

Default Any tips for traveling with carry on luggage and airport security?

hi all,

I will be traveling internationally (been like 9 years since I did) and will be taking a carry on luggage with as much computer parts and electronic items that I can fit inside it. I will have no laptops. At least I will know the more expensive items will reach its destination.

Anyway, I assume airport x-rays are safe for computer parts and other electronic gadgets?

Do I have to prove that all my electronic devices work? Like iphones or mp3 players for example.

Basically, I do not want the airport security seizing any of my items.

What do you guys normally do? You ever had any problems before?
Remobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
zerocool84
Lifer

Make sure to take lots of lube with you for the cavity searches.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
IndyColtsFan
Lifer

They may ask you to remove them from the bag, but you should be OK. I've carried on routers, VPN boxes, etc. and never had issues though I was asked to remove them from my luggage.
MAIN: i7-2600K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus P8Z68-V Pro | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-1600 | Seagate 600 series 240 GB SSD (boot) | Samsung Evo 500 GB | 2 TB (data) | MSI Lightning GTX780 | Cosmos S | Dell U2410 and 2001fp | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise
IndyColtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
marvdmartian
Diamond Member

The ONLY thing the TSA wants out of the bag is a laptop. I've never even had them ask me to take the tablet (7") that I have out of the bag. Same with MP3 players, phones, cameras, etc.

Evidently, laptops are thick enough that, inside of a bag, they're difficult to determine, via x-ray, whether they have any additional (unauthorized) "extras" within them.

Like was said already, worst thing that should happen is you pull them out of the bag. Or they ask to search the bag. No biggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
So you're saying that it's like putting the mashed potatoes on top of the cake BEFORE you do the dishes? I get it now! Good point!
heatware
marvdmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
DLeRium
Lifer

just take the laptop out. i carry all my electronics in my backpack when I go on intl flights. I had a boxed iPad 2, HP TouchPad, 2 phones, and a laptop.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
RelaxTheMind
Platinum Member

i use a different bag for flights that just has charger/laptop/headphones. tshirt, sweats, slip ons.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Matthiasa
Diamond Member

Anything that has a chance of being requested to check should be separated out.
But really just look at the TSA website on what should be done.
Matthiasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
JEDIYoda
Lifer

I usually tell TSA before they X-Ray my stuff that Mr. John Pistole personally told me it was OK for me to have several handguns and ammo and some plastic explosives in my carry on. Only for my protection of course!!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Vic Vega
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remobz View Post
hi all,

I will be traveling internationally (been like 9 years since I did) and will be taking a carry on luggage with as much computer parts and electronic items that I can fit inside it. I will have no laptops. At least I will know the more expensive items will reach its destination.

Anyway, I assume airport x-rays are safe for computer parts and other electronic gadgets?

Do I have to prove that all my electronic devices work? Like iphones or mp3 players for example.

Drop ship that stuff. Not worth the airport headache.
Vic Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Number1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post

Isn't that provided by the airport authorities?
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Number1
Diamond Member

Electronic parts? Hard drives?
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Remobz
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
Well, my sister lives in Ohio so that is an option. Only problem is that I will be ass raped by the Customs duties and shipping and handling costs once the boxes arrive here (outside the USA).

I will be traveling with two big suitcases so maybe I can just pack most of the items in them and hope for the best (no stealing by airport workers). The carry on will only have small items like phones, ssd and other personal effects.

I am going to have to think this through in greater depth.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
squirrel dog
Diamond Member

I think you should ship it as per Vic V.Life is to short to have to deal with airport clowns.
squirrel dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
JoeBleed

before 9-11, i actually had to turn on my laptop to prove it worked once as did the person ahead of me. last time i traveled by plane, 2 or so years ago, i had to take my laptop out of the bag and put it in a separate tray. the tsa lady bitched at me for having a lot of stuff in my laptop bag, she said it needed to have less stuff in it to make it easer to search through. I laughed and told her to damn bad, i need this stuff. on the way back home, no one complained. Like someone else said, i had mp3 player, headphones and a couple other small electronics they didn't seem to care about or make me take out of the bag for some reason.

shit i had tools that could be used as weapons and they didn't care. they weren't hidden either, open view when you opened my bag. plus it went through x-ray.

Best advice i can give you is see what you can find about it on tsa's website, print the rules out and take them with you and hope you don't get a bitchy tsa prick. Because that is what really matters more than the rules during that period of time. These rules are stupid and aren't making anyone any safer.

Actually, besides having to take my goddamn shoes off to go through security, what really pissed me off was the number of people they allow to take huge "carry on" bags that will never fit in the passenger compartments to the gate, then the flight people make them gate check it. which doesn't seem to cost money where as i had to pay $50 for a small checked bag. only reason i checked it was because i was carrying a small pocket knife that used to be allowed onto planes. why is this shit allowed!!!???!!!! ugh.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
KeithP
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvdmartian View Post
The ONLY thing the TSA wants out of the bag is a laptop.
FWIW, I have a Brenthaven laptop bag that unzips and lays flat so that the padded section with the laptop is by itself on one side. They have never asked me to take my laptop out of this bag.

-KeithP

Hoodies don't have zippers, chili doesn't have beans, the plane won't take off...deal with it.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Mermaidman
Diamond Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
Sorry--You're only allowed 3 oz of lube.
Mermaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Paladin3
Platinum Member

The last time my son traveled he packed an $80 computer mouse in his bag. Some dipshit agent pried it open and broke it, then tossed a note in the bag stating that a federal regulation mandated that all electronic devises were subject to being opened or turned on for verification.

Be careful with your electronics.
"I should have been a cowboy. I should have learned to rope and ride. Wearing my six-shooter, riding my pony on a cattle drive. Stealing a young girls heart, just like Gene and Roy. Singing those camp fire songs, oh, I should've been a cowboy!"
Paladin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
PowerYoga
Diamond Member

I've carried hardrives, graphics cards and such through on a carry-on but they can break all of it and not be liable for anything. Not to mention some electronics will be subject to customs search depending on where you go internationally.

So while I've never had a bad experience bringing this stuff through, it really depends on your luck on whether the TSA agent is having a bad day or not.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
sjwaste
Diamond Member

I once had a screener at PHL identify my exact brand and model of toothbrush from the x-ray. He stopped me and goes, "Sonicare... Elite 7300, right?" Pretty sure one of the other guys standing with him lost a bet right there. I was impressed.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
MixMasterTang
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remobz View Post
hi all,

The more important question here is where are you flying to? What are these parts going to be used for? You may be required to pay import tax.
MixMasterTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
mizzou
Diamond Member

"laptops" go on top of your bag through the x-ray machine. I don't believe they have extended that same issue to tablets yet though
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
bigrash
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin3 View Post
The last time my son traveled he packed an $80 computer mouse in his bag. Some dipshit agent pried it open and broke it, then tossed a note in the bag stating that a federal regulation mandated that all electronic devises were subject to being opened or turned on for verification.

Be careful with your electronics.
Damn that sucks.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
Remobz
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterTang View Post
The more important question here is where are you flying to? What are these parts going to be used for? You may be required to pay import tax.
I live in Belize.

My dad and I are going to visit my sister (who lives in Ohio) for a month. Its been like 7 years since I been to the USA or Canada. I have a long list of electronic items for myself, my gf, her kids and two nephews. We pay 3 times what you guys pay for computer parts and electronic goods here. Many times the items are not even in stock and have to be ordered from the USA at three times the original price.

So basically, the items will be for me and Christmas gifts for loved ones.

I guess it depends on who the TSA worker is
Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #24
jagec
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
I'd rather keep my expensive electronics in my direct control when traveling internationally. It's far more likely to get lost or confiscated if shipped than as a carry-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaidman View Post
Sorry--You're only allowed 3 oz of lube.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
PingviN
Golden Member

Don't look like an Arab.

That said, there is really only one religion they will go after: Christianity. maybe one day they'll get over their bigotry.
On Noah (2842 B.C)
PingviN is offline   Reply With Quote