· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Bat123Man

Default Help! New mobo, no post....

Hello,

I have just purchased a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. I've installed the new mobo (Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H), i5 3570K, and 16 GB of Kingston DDR3 RAM. My case is an original Antec Sonata. When I hook up the PSU (Enermax 620W) to the 24-pin mobo connection, and the extra power connections to my GTX 570, nothing.

There is a power button directly on the mobo which lights up (manual says it is for open-case power-ups when testing), so I know the mobo has power. When I hit the switch on the front, the case fan starts to spin very briefly, the CPU fan jerks, and then it is instantly off. Obviously, I made an error and I can't figure out what it is.

I had a terrible time with the front panel connectors, do these have to be connected in order for the computer to post? In my previous mobo (Asus 5PN-E), I had a a little plastic widget with nicely labeled header connectors. So you took the labeled pairs, and connected them to the widget, then you just plugged the widget into the panel header. Made it really easy. This mobo doesn't have that, so I had to individually plug in the correct headers into the provided pins. I couldn't figure out which way they were supposed to be connected, so first I used the labeled widget from my old mobo to figure out which was + and which was -, but that resulted in the above results. Then I tried making all the labels face out, but same thing.

Any ideas?
Bat123Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Bat123Man

Oooh, progress. It booted! Yay. Still loads of things don't work, but at least I figured out what I did wrong. The new mobo requires a 12V connector on the mobo used exclusively for the CPU. I had connected the non-CPU connector to it, so the Enermax refused to turn on.

It's on now. No mouse, no internet, only the front panel USB ports work, but at least it's a start.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Steltek
Golden Member

Are the USB ports that aren't working designated as USB3.0 ports? If so, try plugging the mouse into a working USB2.0 port and enter the BIOS to make any adjustments you need to. The other USB3.0 ports should become active once you install Windows and then install the motherboard chipset drivers.

Last edited by Steltek; 11-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Bat123Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steltek View Post
Are the USB ports that aren't working designated as USB3.0 ports? If so, try plugging the mouse into a working USB2.0 port and enter the BIOS to make any adjustments you need to. The other USB3.0 ports should become active once you install Windows and then install the motherboard chipset drivers.
Ah ha! Thanks for that. Yes, did that (by accident) but I can confirm it worked. Glad to know that is a valid strategy. None of the new USB3 ports worked until I did exactly what you suggested, and plugged the mouse into the front panel USB2 port. Didn't need to go into the BIOS, all ports started working after I installed the chipset drivers.

Am all set now. Everything is working. 3DMark score more than doubled!

BM.