Default Google agrees with Mozilla's Windows RT browser concerns

Link

Steam: Sureshot324
BF3: Sarev0k
Sureshot324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Nothinman
Elite Member

As well they should. It seems that MS is following Apple's mantra of do as I say, not as I do and allowing themselves special treatment while restricting other, possibly competing developers.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
lxskllr
Lifer

WinRT is everything I hate about Apple.. Well... most of it anyway :^D Locked hardware is no good for the consumer. Kind of a shame. I like what I've seen of the Surface, but it won't run the way I want it to. Hopefully others will stand up for their rights also, and MS will be forced off the Apple cart.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Sureshot324
Diamond Member

Yeah I was seriously considering getting a Win8 tablet since I like the UI a lot, but now I think I'll just get a Nexus 10.

Steam: Sureshot324
BF3: Sarev0k
Sureshot324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Subyman
Platinum Member

Honestly, for a tablet I do not mind a closed system. It makes keeping the device secure a lot easier for the OS developer. It makes it easier to standardize the hardware for developers and it gives an overall better experience for the typical user. Of course, enthusiasts will be bummed because they can't run home-brew, but for the most part, it is a good choice for the masses.

I wouldn't write off the surface just because of browser choice, although I'd rather have options.
Intel 120GB SSD | Seasonic 660 Plat | ROG Swift PG278Q
Subyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subyman View Post
I wouldn't write off the surface just because of browser choice, although I'd rather have options.
I write off the Surface due to O/S choice. I don't want Windows at all. I like the hardware for an ultra portable because it takes a tablet, and makes it useful for real work due to the keyboard. If I'm barred from putting the software of my choosing on MY device, it isn't really my device, is it?

A jail is safe and secure, with easy administration also, but I don't want any parts of that ;^)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subyman View Post
Honestly, for a tablet I do not mind a closed system. It makes keeping the device secure a lot easier for the OS developer. It makes it easier to standardize the hardware for developers and it gives an overall better experience for the typical user. Of course, enthusiasts will be bummed because they can't run home-brew, but for the most part, it is a good choice for the masses.

The problem is that's the direction they want to push everything, tablets are just a convenient foot in the door.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
tommo123
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
I write off the Surface due to O/S choice. I don't want Windows at all. I like the hardware for an ultra portable because it takes a tablet, and makes it useful for real work due to the keyboard. If I'm barred from putting the software of my choosing on MY device, it isn't really my device, is it?

A jail is safe and secure, with easy administration also, but I don't want any parts of that ;^)
i agree. i want to be able for someone to write an app, post it and for me to be able to install it with no hassle. android can do that but afaik iOS and winRT can't.

more than that though i want to feel like the device is mine. hence why really, my only choice is android (though no tablet is worth it yet - the bezels are huge like an ugly old CRT monitors!) as long as they keep coming with unlocked bootloaders (yay samsung). the possibilities and benefits are soo cool!
tommo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Pia
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot324 View Post
Yeah I was seriously considering getting a Win8 tablet since I like the UI a lot, but now I think I'll just get a Nexus 10.
I might have been in the market for a Surface Pro to replace my aging Macbook Air and also be my first tablet, but the Metro apps being locked down seriously piss me off. I don't want Microsoft dictating what apps I can run in tablet mode any more than I want them dictating what I can run on the desktop. This bullshit is going to cost them a lot of money in sales.
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia View Post
I might have been in the market for a Surface Pro to replace my aging Macbook Air and also be my first tablet, but the Metro apps being locked down seriously piss me off. I don't want Microsoft dictating what apps I can run in tablet mode any more than I want them dictating what I can run on the desktop. This bullshit is going to cost them a lot of money in sales.
This bullshit is the same bullshit Apple has been successfully selling to their users for the ~4 years. They love it and Apple has been making money hand over fist the whole time.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #11
oynaz
Platinum Member

But Microsoft isn't Apple. trying to beat Apple at their own game sounds like a losing strategy.
oynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Not to mention, MS enforcing their contractual "right" to delete anything they want off of your PC or Tablet with Windows 8/RT. No thanks.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post

That's why the Surface Pro exists for people like you. Install any OS you like. The thing is that Canonical is never going to get someone to build hardware like Microsoft can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry View Post
Not to mention, MS enforcing their contractual "right" to delete anything they want off of your PC or Tablet with Windows 8/RT. No thanks.
I'm pretty sure all three companies, Apple, Microsoft, and even Google reserve that right to wipe an app off your device if you installed it from their store for "malware reasons". As far as I know though, it's never been used. However, if we are going to get into hypotheticals, you should be paranoid about everything, the amount of data Google collects on you, the government spying on you, everyone selling your data, etc...

I'll be right with you when a company actually abuses that power, but until then, let's be reasonable about it.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oynaz View Post
But Microsoft isn't Apple. trying to beat Apple at their own game sounds like a losing strategy.
Not if they can slip it in surreptitiously and in small enough bites that people don't care enough at any one point in time. The same way politicians remove rights from people. If they did it all at once there would be riots, but a little ding here and there passes below most people's radar and by the time people see the big picture it's too late.

People don't like freedom and choices because it requires they be informed in order to make that decision, they would rather be handed something and told what it's for and how they should use it. MS is facing more push back because their users are generally more technical and businesses just need the additional flexibility, but individual users love simplicity and what's always traded for simplicity is flexibility and freedom. But the reality is that as computers become more and more common they will have to become less and less flexible and more single purpose. Just look at cars, just 30 years ago it wasn't uncommon for people to have hobby cars, have their neighbor change their spark plugs, brakes, etc but now if you do anything more than chance your oil or brake pads on your own you risk voiding your warranty and you need specialized computer equipment to diagnose anything more than that. And most people are perfectly fine being tied to their dealership because it's simpler for them. And in the long run, the same will be true for computers. It's more complicated because of the amount of personal data stored on computers but ubiquitous "cloud" access is making that less of an issue as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
That's why the Surface Pro exists for people like you. Install any OS you like. The thing is that Canonical is never going to get someone to build hardware like Microsoft can.
The reason I like the RT is due to the ARM processor. The Pro's looking like an I5. I like ARM due to battery life. I already have a netbook that eats batteries for lunch, and I don't need to pay a premium for that experience.