Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Console Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
tdawg
Golden Member
 
tdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,996
Default Forza Horizon

Anybody excited about / buying Forza Horizon? I need to download the demo and give it a shot to see if I really want to consider buying this, but I kind of like the move to real-world roads from the track. The trailer kind of reminds me of Test Drive Unlimited, just in Colorado instead of Hawaii.

I can't remember seeing any threads for this game and a search didn't bring any previous threads back that I could find, so thought I'd start this thread to see who's going to be playing this one.
__________________
Intel i5-4570 | Asrock Z87 Pro 4 | 8gb DDR3 | GTX 560Ti | Windows 8.1 64-bit
Nikon D600, 16-35 f/4, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 80-200 f/2.8
500px
XBL Gamertag / PSN Network: ttinker
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Don Vito Corleone
Elite
 
Don Vito Corleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 29,141
Default

I really liked the demo. I have not been playing any video games recently but have pre-ordered this. Seems to me like a fun mix of open-world arcade setup with Forza physics.
__________________
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. The Second Coming, William Butler Yeats

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
zerocool84
Lifer
 
zerocool84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,859
Default

I really liked the demo too but I'm waiting until after Need for Speed Most Wanted comes out to see which I'll pick up.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
tdawg
Golden Member
 
tdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
I really liked the demo too but I'm waiting until after Need for Speed Most Wanted comes out to see which I'll pick up.
Good point! I forgot about NFS coming out around the same time. I loved Burnout Paradise, so I better check that out before committing to Forza.
__________________
Intel i5-4570 | Asrock Z87 Pro 4 | 8gb DDR3 | GTX 560Ti | Windows 8.1 64-bit
Nikon D600, 16-35 f/4, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 80-200 f/2.8
500px
XBL Gamertag / PSN Network: ttinker
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Subyman
Platinum Member
 
Subyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 2,419
Default

I'm definitely interested. I'll pick it up over black friday at 29.99. They seem to always blow out racing games around that time. Forza 4 dropped in price pretty quickly IIRC, so I felt kind of bad for spending 80 bucks on the collectors edition.
__________________
Heat Rating
Main Rig: Corsair 550D Watercooled
4820k | Asus Rampage Gene IV | GSkill 2x8GB | 2x MSI Gaming GTX 970 SLI
Intel 120GB SSD | Seasonic 660 Plat | ROG Swift PG278Q
Subyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
blurredvision
Lifer
 
blurredvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 17,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subyman View Post
I'm definitely interested. I'll pick it up over black friday at 29.99. They seem to always blow out racing games around that time. Forza 4 dropped in price pretty quickly IIRC, so I felt kind of bad for spending 80 bucks on the collectors edition.
This is pretty much right. The chances for this game to show up somewhere at least at $40 within the next month is high IMO.

I was really impressed with the demo and want to buy the full game, but I'm going to wait for the inevitable price drop.
blurredvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
tdawg
Golden Member
 
tdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,996
Default

I downloaded the demo and put some time into it. I have to say, I'm really tempted to pick this up at launch; so much fun!
__________________
Intel i5-4570 | Asrock Z87 Pro 4 | 8gb DDR3 | GTX 560Ti | Windows 8.1 64-bit
Nikon D600, 16-35 f/4, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 80-200 f/2.8
500px
XBL Gamertag / PSN Network: ttinker
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

will be getting my LE copy tonight.
saw Warcrow on his review copy last night putting some time in.

how is the final man?
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)





CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

Well played till 1am last night.. fun game for sure.
saw a few of the ATOT guys playing it.

My ONLY complaint is I wish it was truly online and that those drivers all over Horizon were real people.. and that the races were against them instead of AI.

like TDU.

game is very fun and very polished though.
found 4 barn finds so far that is very fun looking for the barn
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)





CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Don Vito Corleone
Elite
 
Don Vito Corleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 29,141
Default

I played some last night. In addition to the game I had bought a Steadiplay stand for my Fanatec wheel setup (I never really cared for the Fanatec RennSport stand I had bought with my wheel - way too much wobble) so had to assemble and set that up first as well.

I am really liking the game so far. I love the idea of putting Forza's strengths into an open world environment, and it looks and plays great. I really love having a bit of rallying in the mix as well. I am still tweaking my wheel settings but the wheel support seems great as well. The next question will be whether I like it, and will play it enough to get the season pass - we shall see . . .
__________________
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. The Second Coming, William Butler Yeats

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Last edited by Don Vito Corleone; 10-24-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
warcrow
Lifer
 
warcrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
will be getting my LE copy tonight.
saw Warcrow on his review copy last night putting some time in.

how is the final man?
Sorry, missed this until today.

The game is great. Lots and lots of fun. Really enjoying it.
warcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
digiram
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrow View Post
Sorry, missed this until today.

The game is great. Lots and lots of fun. Really enjoying it.
hmm.. might have to get this for my son for xmas
__________________
Core i5 2380p @ 4.0 ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Powercolor R9 280X 3gb, 240 Muchkin SSD, 1 TB Seagate, Antec HCG 620m, Cooler Master ATCS 840, M-audio Fast Track, Rokit Studio Monitors, M-Audio Axiom. Reason 5 and Pro-Tools 7

Heat
Good Music
digiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
vshah
Lifer
 
vshah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 18,775
Default

no tuning turned me off initially but i'll probably pick it up once it drops below $30
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 || Asus P6T Deluxe V2 || Noctua NH-U12P|| 12GB DDR3-1600
GTX 670 || Intel x-25m 80gb || 1TB Caviar Black || Antec 902 ||Antec 550w
HEAT
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
Subyman
Platinum Member
 
Subyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 2,419
Default

I decided to pick it up anyway and I am glad I did. It is definitely worth for retail price. My only complaint would be I wish the open world was a little bit larger test drive unlimited two was quite a bit bigger than this one. However the driving mechanics totally make up for the lack of map size. Fantastic game that I will be playing for quite some time.
__________________
Heat Rating
Main Rig: Corsair 550D Watercooled
4820k | Asus Rampage Gene IV | GSkill 2x8GB | 2x MSI Gaming GTX 970 SLI
Intel 120GB SSD | Seasonic 660 Plat | ROG Swift PG278Q
Subyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,376
Default

played the demo last night and thought it was pretty cool. definitely a fan of the arcade racers over the sim style in general, and a fan of open racing as well as point-to-point over doing laps.

i may pick this up down the road. halo is out next week so i doubt i'll play this much if i pick it up now.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
RedRooster
Diamond Member
 
RedRooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 6,601
Default

How's the map size compare to Burnout Paradise? I consider that the pinnacle of open world arcade racers this gen. So far.
RedRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
zerocool84
Lifer
 
zerocool84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,859
Default

Now that the new Need for Speed came out and got good reviews just like this did, it's time for me to think about which I want more.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
Now that the new Need for Speed came out and got good reviews just like this did, it's time for me to think about which I want more.
both are good.. but Forza is far more a car lovers dream..
the Multi is the only part of Forza that is inferior to MW.

MW has drop in drop out full open world multi with traffic and an amazing fun activity list.

Horizon has more Forza like events on sections of the open world with no drop in and out and no traffic..

But Forza trumps it in every way when ot comes to cars and physics and modding and making a car yours and unique through customization and tuning.

I like both but find myself going back to Forza for pure enjoyment.
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)





CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
both are good.. but Forza is far more a car lovers dream..
the Multi is the only part of Forza that is inferior to MW.

MW has drop in drop out full open world multi with traffic and an amazing fun activity list.

Horizon has more Forza like events on sections of the open world with no drop in and out and no traffic..

But Forza trumps it in every way when ot comes to cars and physics and modding and making a car yours and unique through customization and tuning.

I like both but find myself going back to Forza for pure enjoyment.
is there a demo of MW? i am just concerned that MW was also a launch title, and they are already revamping it. granted, i know NOTHING about this new version other than the name. i've always enjoyed NFS games though.

i came to this thread to post that i also really like the music in Horizon. i played the demo a bit more last night after i hooked up my new receiver and the music is really good in it.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
is there a demo of MW? i am just concerned that MW was also a launch title, and they are already revamping it. granted, i know NOTHING about this new version other than the name. i've always enjoyed NFS games though.

i came to this thread to post that i also really like the music in Horizon. i played the demo a bit more last night after i hooked up my new receiver and the music is really good in it.
yes the music and atmosphere in Horizon is amazing as well.

I love the music and the whole Car Festival theme.

MW is not MW.. they should not have even used the same name.
it is a bastardized version of Burnout paradise with licensed cars and cops.

that's not necessarily a bad thing.. but if you go in thinking it is MW you will be disappointed,
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)





CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
purbeast0
Lifer
 
purbeast0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 37,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
yes the music and atmosphere in Horizon is amazing as well.

I love the music and the whole Car Festival theme.

MW is not MW.. they should not have even used the same name.
it is a bastardized version of Burnout paradise with licensed cars and cops.

that's not necessarily a bad thing.. but if you go in thinking it is MW you will be disappointed,
well i wouldn't even consider it if it is a remake of the launch title.

but i just read the review and yea, it sounds a lot like burnout paradise, and considering it's from criterion, my interest has now peaked.

also searched and saw there is no demo of it, so that does not help.

i personally think i will like the handling better in MW because i prefer arcadey racers in general. and while horizon is more arcadey than the real forza, it's not really close to being as arcadey as burnout or nfs.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
well i wouldn't even consider it if it is a remake of the launch title.

but i just read the review and yea, it sounds a lot like burnout paradise, and considering it's from criterion, my interest has now peaked.

also searched and saw there is no demo of it, so that does not help.

i personally think i will like the handling better in MW because i prefer arcadey racers in general. and while horizon is more arcadey than the real forza, it's not really close to being as arcadey as burnout or nfs.
yeh Forza even on it's easiest setting is still very very hard on some races.
and the handling even with ABS and Tract control on the cars are still a handful.

On MW the cars do not behave like cars much. have to force a drift and then the drift is "locked in" where in Forza a powerful car will literally rip it's tires through every corner if not finessed.

To me driving fast cars all my life I'm more at home in Forza.
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)





CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
Don Vito Corleone
Elite
 
Don Vito Corleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 29,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
yeh Forza even on it's easiest setting is still very very hard on some races.
and the handling even with ABS and Tract control on the cars are still a handful.

On MW the cars do not behave like cars much. have to force a drift and then the drift is "locked in" where in Forza a powerful car will literally rip it's tires through every corner if not finessed.

To me driving fast cars all my life I'm more at home in Forza.
Yeah, I am in the same boat. I am also disappointed Most Wanted doesn't support steering wheels - I have a pretty nice wheel setup and find it much more fun and immersive to play that way.
__________________
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. The Second Coming, William Butler Yeats

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
jrphoenix
Golden Member
 
jrphoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Debary, Florida
Posts: 1,260
Default

Question on Horizon... I have played all the Forza's with my steering wheel / playseat setup. This one looks a bit more arcade like and I'm tempted to pick it up. Is this game meant to be played with a controller (like NFS) or with a steering wheel?

Thank you!
jrphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #25
Don Vito Corleone
Elite
 
Don Vito Corleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 29,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrphoenix View Post
Question on Horizon... I have played all the Forza's with my steering wheel / playseat setup. This one looks a bit more arcade like and I'm tempted to pick it up. Is this game meant to be played with a controller (like NFS) or with a steering wheel?

Thank you!
The physics engine is based on the Forza engine, and for me it works great with a wheel. I might still frankly be faster with a controller, but the wheel is way more fun to me.
__________________
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. The Second Coming, William Butler Yeats

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.