Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > CPUs and Overclocking

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
popop
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 118
Default Upgrade Help Please

I have ALWAYS owned AMD processors, first AMD I bought as a separate processor was the amazingly fast K6. Not relevant here I know, sorry. I have been out of the computer component world for a few years, not really keeping up with it like I use to. Now I am ready to upgrade my AMD 1055t and need some help.

I am looking to get the AMD FX-8350(guess it isnt out yet). That will require me to get a new motherboard for AM3+ socket. My question here is I have been looking at Intel also. It seems they have just surpassed AMD by far. Would it be worth it for me to go ahead and change over to Intel now? Is Intel about to release and new "big" technology cpu and I should wait? Just use the desktop for internet and games.
I will take all the info you guys are willing to offer.

Thank you for your time!!
popop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
MisterMac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 764
Default

I'd wait for haswell.

Ivy i7 would be a significant upgrade - but Ph2 was and is a very cool uArch.
If you feel it's massively slow in your games or browsing - id look at GPU or SSD.
If you haven't already that is.

From the realistic hype to the crazy hype - 15-30% over Ivy is what Haswell should deliver.

But that requires waiting for the new year
MisterMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
popop
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMac View Post
I'd wait for haswell.

Ivy i7 would be a significant upgrade - but Ph2 was and is a very cool uArch.
If you feel it's massively slow in your games or browsing - id look at GPU or SSD.
If you haven't already that is.

From the realistic hype to the crazy hype - 15-30% over Ivy is what Haswell should deliver.

But that requires waiting for the new year
this is good info, I have never even heard of haswell. Ahhh now more options, gotta love technology these days!
popop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

what's your motherboard as i would suggest a FX-6300 as it performs great for the price ?
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Hatisherrif
Senior Member
 
Hatisherrif's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Serbia
Posts: 226
Default

The FX-8350 would be around the quad core i7 in performance most of the time, but certain games might run a lot better on the i7. Between the FX and an i5, I'd say the FX would beat it in almost everything but gaming.

That said, if you are a gamer, Intel is the way to go. If you want great multitasking performance and don't want to spend a lot of money, get the FX. If you want the best, get the i7, but don't expect it to be a cheap solution.
__________________
i5 2500K - 4.5GHz @ 1.320V|CM Hyper212 EVO|MSI P67A-C43 (B3)|8GB Kingston HyperX - 1600MHz 9-9-9-24|AMD Gigabyte HD 7950 - GPU:1150MHz GDDR5:1600MHz|CM Centurion|CM 500W|DVD-W/R|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|
Hatisherrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Yuriman
Platinum Member
 
Yuriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,900
Default

As Durvelle27 says, if your board will in fact support Vishera, the FX-6300 is a good value. Your X6 is actually faster per clock in most things than the FX but it will clock a lot higher.

If your board won't support the FX, it really depends on your budget but an i5 is the minimum I'd recommend if you want to buy in the near future. Haswell isn't exactly "right around the corner" but neither is your current chip very slow.

One thing you could do to hold yourself over is ti get a solid state drive and perhaps a RAM upgrade.
__________________
3570K @ 4.6GHz 1.29v | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Gigabyte HD7850 2GB @ 1125/1575 | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 1.25v | OCZ Agility 3 240GB | WD Green 1.5GB | BFG LS 680w | Skyhawk MSR-4610
Yuriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

AMD FX-6300 vs Phenom II 1055T

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=147

in gaming the FX-6300 outperformed the Phenom II quite a bit and it overclocks amazing
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 11,359
Default

Wait till march and buy LGA1150+Haswell.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare
Competition is good at driving the pace of innovation, but it is an inefficient mechanism (R&D expenditures summed across a given industry) for generating the innovation.
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
popop
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 118
Default

I have a biostar TA880FXE which is am3, not am3+
popop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
teh_pwnerer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 151
Default

I've been out of the computer world for years but I have an X6? Seriously where do these kids come from?

First off the wait for Haswell advice is just stupid. That CPU won't be out for 6-7 months and it's only going to be 15% better than Ivy Bridge tops.

Any of the i5 cpus will be good for years to come. Haswell will be on a whole new board and by the time it's out i7 prices will drop.
teh_pwnerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
popop
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_pwnerer View Post
I've been out of the computer world for years but I have an X6? Seriously where do these kids come from?

First off the wait for Haswell advice is just stupid. That CPU won't be out for 6-7 months and it's only going to be 15% better than Ivy Bridge tops.

Any of the i5 cpus will be good for years to come. Haswell will be on a whole new board and by the time it's out i7 prices will drop.
kids? heh, I have been a member of this board for almost 8 years...

It was a quick decision upgrade. I said out of the component world, not computer
popop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatisherrif View Post
The FX-8350 would be around the quad core i7 in performance most of the time, but certain games might run a lot better on the i7. Between the FX and an i5, I'd say the FX would beat it in almost everything but gaming.

That said, if you are a gamer, Intel is the way to go. If you want great multitasking performance and don't want to spend a lot of money, get the FX. If you want the best, get the i7, but don't expect it to be a cheap solution.
The 8350 will be ahead of the i5 and very close to the i7 in heavily threaded benchmarks, except for a few highly selective ones where the 8350 is quite a bit faster. Either the i5 or the i7 will beat the 8350 in single or lightly threaded apps by far. Intel is also still ahead of the 8350 in games, some by a wide margin. The i5 or i7 will also use about 1/2 the power at heavy load.

Since it seems like you wont be doing any encoding, if you get a new motherboard, I would go with intel. I do not think it is worth waiting for Haswell, except that your rig now does not seem too bad, so it might be ok to keep for awhile.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 11,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentundra123456 View Post
The 8350 will be ahead of the i5 and very close to the i7 in heavily threaded benchmarks, except for a few highly selective ones where the 8350 is quite a bit faster. Either the i5 or the i7 will beat the 8350 in single or lightly threaded apps by far. Intel is also still ahead of the 8350 in games, some by a wide margin. The i5 or i7 will also use about 1/2 the power at heavy load.

Since it seems like you wont be doing any encoding, if you get a new motherboard, I would go with intel. I do not think it is worth waiting for Haswell, except that your rig now does not seem too bad, so it might be ok to keep for awhile.
To clear it up, AMD actually only really start to shine when you get to 7-8 threaded applications. In 4 threads and below they get utterly molested.

Not to mention the high running cost for AMD in utilities.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare
Competition is good at driving the pace of innovation, but it is an inefficient mechanism (R&D expenditures summed across a given industry) for generating the innovation.
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
Denithor
Diamond Member
 
Denithor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,720
Default

What does the rest of your system look like? What GPU and resolution? What games do you play?

In many applications (notably games) Intel runs faster and consumes less power. But Intel chips also typically cost more. So it's somewhat a toss up.
__________________
HTPC: GTX 650 Ti Boost -- i7 3770 (4.2GHz) -- Intel 330 180GB -- 16GB DDR3 -- 50" LG plasma
Gaming: GTX 660 -- i5 750 (3.2GHz) -- Samsung 830 128GB -- 8GB DDR3 -- Dell 2709W

Originally posted by: ironwing
Adam should'a bought a PC instead. Eve fell for the marketing hype.
Denithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
popop
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denithor View Post
What does the rest of your system look like? What GPU and resolution? What games do you play?

In many applications (notably games) Intel runs faster and consumes less power. But Intel chips also typically cost more. So it's somewhat a toss up.
biostar TA890FXE
AMD 1055t
4GB (lowest grade) G.Skill ripjaws 1600 (PC3 12800)
Radeon HD 6870
750GB HDD
750w PS
1920x1200 res.


So what do you think I should do here?
popop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

upgrade your gpu first like a HD 7870 or HD 7950 and get 8GB of RAM
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
Denithor
Diamond Member
 
Denithor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,720
Default

More RAM won't make that much difference. It's cheap though, so if you feel like it, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Two things I'd suggest for now:
1) SSD - pick up a good deal on a Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 or Intel 330 drive.
Keep your current 750GB for storage. This will completely change how your PC behaves (20-30 second total boot times, programs open immediately, whole system is more responsive).
2) GPU - upgrade to a 7850/7870 or GTX 660 (or Ti).
This will yield much better improvements in game fps than an increase in CPU.

Your current CPU isn't bad by any stretch, just upgrade these two parts and wait to see how Haswell looks (middle of next year).
__________________
HTPC: GTX 650 Ti Boost -- i7 3770 (4.2GHz) -- Intel 330 180GB -- 16GB DDR3 -- 50" LG plasma
Gaming: GTX 660 -- i5 750 (3.2GHz) -- Samsung 830 128GB -- 8GB DDR3 -- Dell 2709W

Originally posted by: ironwing
Adam should'a bought a PC instead. Eve fell for the marketing hype.
Denithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member
 
AnonymouseUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 8,403
Default

Upgrade the GPU and get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and overclock that 1055t. 3.5 - 3.7GHz should be easy to attain.
__________________
NSA Homeland Security PRISM Denial of service Malware Trojan Keylogger Cyber Command
2600 Backpack Phishing Rootkit Agro Eco ISIL Conventional weapon
Target Weapons grade Dirty bomb Enriched Nuclear Chemical Biological weapon Black out
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric ISIS Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State Liberation Security Breach Threat Standoff
SWAT Screening Virus Environmental Terrorist Dock
AnonymouseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #19
MisterMac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 764
Default

a 1055t is definately still viable.


Always list all your components.



Now the haswell advice is alot more sound - SSD + GPU is your path tho.


If CPU starts necking - look at haswell in a half year.
MisterMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
T_Yamamoto
Lifer
 
T_Yamamoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina State University
Posts: 13,779
Default

I'd go with a SSD and a GPU upgrade.
__________________
Intel i5 4430, MSI B85M-P33, Gigabyte Windforce R9 270x, 6GB ram, Intel 530 128gb SSD, WD 160gb HDD, Toshiba Canvio 1tb External HDD, Windows 7, NZXT Vulcan, Dell E2414H, ROCCAT Kova+ Max, TG3 BL82
Mid 2014 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4278U 2.6Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 128gb SSD
iPhone 6 16gb CDMA
Heatware | Steam
T_Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #21
bononos
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
....

Not to mention the high running cost for AMD in utilities.
High running costs at stock settings? I don't think an extra ~$20/yr is going to put anyone off in the US where energy costs are cheap.
bononos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bononos View Post
High running costs at stock settings? I don't think an extra ~$20/yr is going to put anyone off in the US where energy costs are cheap.
That is true, but over a few years it could offset any price advantage of amd. A more inefficient chip also will require a stronger power supply, especially if you over clock, where power use goes very high.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #23
inf64
Platinum Member
 
inf64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,075
Default

8350 @ 4.6Ghz on a very high end board(high power draw),with a GTX680 draws 197W on average,90W at idle and 301W at peak load in phoronix test suite(peak is MTed workloads that load a lot of cores and GPU). At stock the numbers are : 174W average,260W peak and 83.5W low(idle state). As can be seen you don't need "stronger power supply" since any 500W quality PSU will do just fine even with OCed 8350. It still draws more power than i5/i7 though so if power is your concern than it won't be the best choice.
__________________
ShintaiDK:"There will be no APU in PS4 and Xbox720."
ShintaiDK:"No quadchannel either.[in Kaveri]"
CHADBOGA:"Because he[OBR] is a great man."
inf64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #24
KingFatty
Platinum Member
 
KingFatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,654
Default

I'd suggest going to Intel later, but for now, at least upgrading in steps, because you can get stuff now that will also be carried over to the intel build.

So you could start with a good SSD and GPU to give you a very noticeable boost right now while using the current AMD CPU/mobo. Also, couple that with overclocking your CPU to keep up with the SSD and GPU (so make sure to remember to overclock the CPU and also the CPU-NB to get good results, those are separate entries in the BIOS and overclocking the CPU-NB will really help games like Starcraft 2 and BF3).

Then, later on, you can still upgrade your motherboard and CPU to get Haswell or whatever, and just keep all the goodness of the SSD and video card that you transplant into the new system.

Also, not sure if you are using Windows 7, but if so, I know there is an easy way to tell Windows 7 to 'revert' to a virgin state, and then just swap the SSD to the new system, and the virgin Win 7 will then load the new appropriate drivers for the new CPU and motherboard etc., so that saves on hassles. I did that when moving from an old Athlon motherboard to an intel Wolfdale motherboard, and it worked great.
KingFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #25
popop
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseUser View Post
Upgrade the GPU and get a EVO and overclock that 1055t. 3.5 - 3.7GHz should be easy to attain.
I actually have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ on the cpu with the 2-120mm fans on it, I am just not familiar with overclocking so I have not messed with it. I know the basics of overclocking and how to navigate the BIOS, just never really tried to OC it. If someone would not mind pointing me in the right direction I would be willing to listen

Any difference in the 212 EVO and the 212+ ??? There is no need to change to an EVO for better OCing is there? Should be good?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
I'd suggest going to Intel later, but for now, at least upgrading in steps, because you can get stuff now that will also be carried over to the intel build.

So you could start with a good SSD and GPU to give you a very noticeable boost right now while using the current AMD CPU/mobo. Also, couple that with overclocking your CPU to keep up with the SSD and GPU (so make sure to remember to overclock the CPU and also the CPU-NB to get good results, those are separate entries in the BIOS and overclocking the CPU-NB will really help games like Starcraft 2 and BF3).

Then, later on, you can still upgrade your motherboard and CPU to get Haswell or whatever, and just keep all the goodness of the SSD and video card that you transplant into the new system.

Also, not sure if you are using Windows 7, but if so, I know there is an easy way to tell Windows 7 to 'revert' to a virgin state, and then just swap the SSD to the new system, and the virgin Win 7 will then load the new appropriate drivers for the new CPU and motherboard etc., so that saves on hassles. I did that when moving from an old Athlon motherboard to an intel Wolfdale motherboard, and it worked great.
This is good advice, thank you. I was on 7 but changed over to Windows 8 pro 64bit.

Last edited by popop; 11-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.
popop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.