· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #51
Broheim
Diamond Member

I grew up upper middle class, I'm not done with school yet so I can't really say with any certainty where I'll end up but I'd surprised if it isn't upper middle class as well. This is how things have always been on my dad's side of the family, so I really have nothing to complain about.
Broheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #52
zanejohnson
Diamond Member

im poorer than my parents, does that count?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #53
Binarycow
Golden Member

in America, if you're at least average mentally and have decent health and yet you're not doing decently financially then either your luck is crap or you're simply a lazy bum and dont want to apply yourself. America literally hands financial success on a silver plate to anyone and everyone and she asks for very little in return in that trade.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #54
Binarycow
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broheim View Post
I grew up upper middle class, I'm not done with school yet so I can't really say with any certainty where I'll end up but I'd surprised if it isn't upper middle class as well. This is how things have always been on my dad's side of the family, so I really have nothing to complain about.
take advantage of that. I am doing pretty ok myself but would have loved to have parents who had been in the upper middle. that would give anyone such a great head start in life.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #55
DCal430
Diamond Member

I grew up poor, almost dirt poor, but not welfare poor, also not free lunch poor. So we weren't super impoverish, but still poor.

Even though we were poor we still managed to go on a vacation nearly ever year, mostly to Disneyland and/or Las Vegas, often to both. We even managed to go to Miami and Orlando one year.

Now I am about middle class, not poor, but not rich.
Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
-Abraham Lincoln
DCal430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #56
Cpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCal430 View Post
I grew up poor, almost dirt poor, but not welfare poor, also not free lunch poor. So we weren't super impoverish, but still poor.

Even though we were poor we still managed to go on a vacation nearly ever year, mostly to Disneyland and/or Las Vegas, often to both. We even managed to go to Miami and Orlando one year.

Even though my parents earned a shitload of money they were so fucking cheap except things for themselves. We never went on vacation( not once).
Cpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #57
DCal430
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpus View Post
Even though my parents earned a shitload of money they were so fucking cheap except things for themselves. We never went on vacation( not once).
My parents were the opposite, they were very cheap on them self. When it was just for them they would go cheap, but if it was for me, my siblings, or our whole family they would be willing to spend good money as they could afford.
Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
-Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #58
Jules
Lifer

cool story
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #59
KK
Lifer

I once heard from someone, if you have god in your heart, you aren't poor. I'm going to hell broke.
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #60
halik
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanejohnson View Post
im poorer than my parents, does that count?
your parents probably don't spend money on drugs
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #61
IronWing
Lifer

If I were rich I'd biddy-biddy-bum and I'd do so pretty much all day long.
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #62
alkemyst
No Lifer

my parents grew up eating just pasta and sometimes butter with it. My dad went on to become an AVP by my 5th year and then by middle school moved to a nice neighborhood then 3 years later moved way up.

I understood this my whole life. Didn't stop me from loving my $40k 1966 Mustang GT restoration car as my first ride. My dad made me to most of the labor.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #63
Martingale
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senttoschool View Post
Let's hear it. Your own definition of poor and rich.

I certainly did. Not saying that I made it yet but I'm at least not at poverty level.

My story copied over from another thread:
Great story, really uplifting

I made it, but I came from a well-to-do family, middle class all the way. I can appreciate the struggles of poorer people, but haven't faced it myself. I do try to be generous with charity to help those who have less.
Martingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #64
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:

Is this troll?

Seriously... You were not poor. Perhaps lower middle class, but going to disneyland, vegas, etc.....
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #65
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarycow View Post
in America, if you're at least average mentally and have decent health and yet you're not doing decently financially then either your luck is crap or you're simply a lazy bum and dont want to apply yourself. America literally hands financial success on a silver plate to anyone and everyone and she asks for very little in return in that trade.

I agree with this.

Being poor tends to mean you went to terrible schools. It is actually very easy to do well since the bar is so low, for anyone who is even remotely willing to put forth some effort. There are scholarships designed for these sort of situations that are very easy to obtain.

The difficult part for these kids is starting out in college, where even the poorly performing rich kids are better prepared than the poor A students.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #66
DCal430
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
Is this troll?

Seriously... You were not poor. Perhaps lower middle class, but going to disneyland, vegas, etc.....
Considering I live in California, it wasn't very expensive to go to those places.
-Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #67
Mixolydian
Lifer

Nah, I grew up in an upper-middle class family.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #68
Jadow
Diamond Member

I saw some my parent old tax forms from the early 80's, and though I didn't realize it, we didn't have a lot.

When I was 2-3 around 1981 my dad was making about 20k and my mom stayed home. She went back to work in 1985 after my sis and I were a few years old, and he kept the same job all through that time, getting raises throughout.

I never wanted for anything when I was a kid, I do vaguely remember them arguing about money in the kitchen a few times when I was young though.

One thing that helped a lot I think was that my dad built our house (nice 1600 sq foot ranch), had help from grandpa, uncle that was an electrician, etc... Never had to live as renters and has a nice stable house all throughout, which they still live in today.

We got by jut fine and their wealth steadily increased.

Now they're both in their mid 60's, both working (more to stay busy that because they have to), and are sitting on over 500k in savings an investments, not counting their house and all other assets, cars, boat, etc...

edit, I'd say I made it, my wife and I are both college educated professionals, own our house, and expecting out first child next year.

Last edited by Jadow; 11-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Jadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #69
RichieZ
Diamond Member

I'm silicon valley poor
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #70
Arkitech
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdhunter View Post
Yet, as fucked up a personality you believe me to have, you'd be hard pressed to find me posting a personal attack on a member of this forum.
exactly. you only make attacks on economic classes and certain minorities
Arkitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #71
Arkitech
Diamond Member

Quote:

What's your definition of dirt poor? Dirt poor people as far as I know usually need assistance just to get by. Also poor people don't go on vacation every year. In fact I don't think most poor people go on vacation ever.
Arkitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #72
DCal430
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitech View Post
What's your definition of dirt poor? Dirt poor people as far as I know usually need assistance just to get by. Also poor people don't go on vacation every year. In fact I don't think most poor people go on vacation ever.
I wasn't dirt poor, I said almost. I know families who got to go to places like Hawaii, Mexico, Orlando, far away places almost each year. Compared to them I was poor.
-Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #73
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
I wasn't dirt poor, I said almost. I know families who got to go to places like Hawaii, Mexico, Orlando, far away places almost each year. Compared to them I was poor.
No you weren't
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #74
dighn
Lifer

not dirt poor but certainly less affluent than normal. rented basement, had used/discarded furniture (I don't wanna know where that mattress came from), never went on a vacation etc.

we're doing pretty well now. parents paid off their house a few years ago. we got nice cars, a lot of savings and investments etc. we live below our means though. some habits die hard.
dighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #75
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
I grew up solid middle class and didn't go to many fancy places. Our vacations were the beach, or the mountains. I did go to Bermuda once, and Niagra falls, but those were the exceptions. If you're going on vacations where you're staying in decent hotels, and eating good food, you aren't even approaching poor.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote