· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
leogobbo

Lightbulb Gaming PC – 3,000 budget – US-built and overseas assembled

Hi!

I am a 27 years old lawyer living in Brazil and getting married on 2013. Because my fiancée is going to the US to buy her wedding dress, this is my opportunity to build a new gaming PC!

I currently have a G73JW notebook, bought 2 years ago, which fulfilled its objectives and now needs to be replaced for high resolution max settings gaming.

So, my intention is to build my new gaming PC. And by build, I mean actually build it – get the parts, put them together, tighten the screws and so forth. Therefore, this build’s objective is twofold: buy an awesome gaming rig AND tickle my maker genes.

I have never really built anything from ground up, but I do know my way around hardware and have no fear of digging in. Here’s my situation:

- I live in Brazil, which means I have no access to the newest PC parts, and if I did, it would be too expensive. Therefore, since my fiancée is going to the US from November 20th to 28th, I will buy everything I need online and she will bring them to be assembled here;

- Because of the specific fact above, I need to choose parts that last long – both because of their quality and speed. If something breaks, I’m without a PC for at least 3 months, due to international RMA. If something gets too slow, god only knows when I will go to the US again to buy parts. Please consider this for your suggestions!

- With the exception of the case and monitor, which I will buy here due to the size, everything else will be bought on the US – not only PC parts, but tools and equipment such as cooling paste, etc.

- I already have a Razor mouse (Mamba) and keyboard and will keep using them.

Here’s what I intend to build so far, with comments for each part:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m9wK

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
It was a tough choice between the 3930k and the 3770, especially because I do not intend to do any overclocking. However, considering that I want to try and have this thing last for as long as possible, I ended up going for the higher end option. The fact that it does not come with a cooler means more assembling fun (as explained above). Please note that I personally want an Intel processor, so AMD suggestions are not an option.

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition 89.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
I have no idea if this is any good; I chose it based on price/reviews. 100% open to other suggestions.

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Once again, chosen due to reviews and open for suggestions.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
I felt like 32gb would be a good option at this time. Corsair seems like a good brand and this model has reasonable reviews.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 480GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($299.99 @ Newegg)

One fast booting SSD drive and the mandatory hdd.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Amazon)
Now, the reason why I chose the GTX 690 is based on a few facts: first, I do not want to buy ATI – this is due to my history with NVidia and ATI. Second, I get tingly when thinking about two GTX 690 working on SLI in the near future, something that would not be an option if I bought two GTX 680 SLI right now.

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($205.98 @ Newegg)
I just want something safe, trustworthy and enough for two 690 SLI in the future.

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Basic Blu-Ray driver.

Total: $2667.89

Questions I currently have, always considering my personal situation described above:
1. Is my choice for the 3930k instead of the 3770 a good one? Or is the added price not worth it?
2. Do I need to buy anything (other than monitor and case) to install everything above? Screwdrivers? Cooling paste? Screws?
3. If I buy an SSD and an hdd as seen above, is it enough to have a very fast booting machine? Is it insanely hard to configure and install, or so I just install windows on the SSD and I’m done?
4. Is there any better choice of CPU cooler?
5. Is there any better choice of motherboard?
6. Is there any better choice of RAM memory?
7. Is there any better choice of power supply?
8. Please, feel free to criticize and suggest.

I will post pictures of the final parts bought, the assembling and the working machine in the end!

Thank you for the help!

New build info:
Purchase date: November 20th.
Budget Range: From USD 2,000 to 3,000
System Usage: Gaming – everything else is subsidiary but should run very fast for working and multitasking.
Are you buying a monitor: No.
Parts to upgrade: Everything.
Do you need to buy OS: No.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any online shop.
Location: Delivered to Orlando, will be brought to Brazil and assembled here.
Parts Preferences: Nvidia Graphics Card and Intel Processor.
Overclocking: No.
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.
Why Are You Upgrading: To max every game on Ultra settings, for as long as possible.
leogobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
AdamK47
Lifer

For about $90 more you can get an AX1200 power supply . For about $150 more you can get three reference 7970s. With stock clocks they will be better than the 690. Much better if you use the GHz BIOS on them. You'll be just under $3K.
Intel Core i7 5960X - Asus Rampage V Extreme - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 - Four Nvidia GTX 980s in 4-Way SLI - 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD - Five 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSDs in 5TB RAID-0 - 6TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD - Pioneer BDR-206 BD-RW - Corsair Obsidian 750D case - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate cooler - Corsair AX1500i power supply - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard - CST LaserTRAC 2545W trackball - BenQ BL3200PT monitor - Shure SRH1440 headphones - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
leogobbo

Would I actually need 1200 power supply? I guess it wouldn't hurt for $90.

I appreciate the suggestion on the 7970s, but as mentioned on the first post, I would like to keep with Nvidia for the graphics cards.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
DSF
Diamond Member

Just a couple general points.

Buying super-high-end parts doesn't do a lot to extend the life of a gaming machine. You could make the argument that CPUs are slightly different in this regard because games are beginning to take advantage of multiple cores, but it's still generally true. It's definitely true for graphics cards. A GTX690 isn't going to last much longer than a GTX680 in terms of how long it will be capable of playing new games, so it's hard to justify the price tag. In this regard you're MUCH better off saving half your video card budget and buying a new card down the road.

Now I understand that might be difficult in your position, but I'm assuming you have some kind of family or friends in the United States? If not, where in Orlando are you having the parts shipped? If you're sending them to your fiancee's hotel, have you verified that the hotel is OK with this? Even if they agree to sign for deliveries for you, keep in mind that they will take zero responsibility for lost or damaged parts. The reason I ask about family/friends is that it seems to me that buying a nice but not extravagant card, and then paying to have relatives ship a replacement card to you in a couple years is still cheaper than a $1000 graphics card.

Also, have you considered what you'll do if you receive a part that's DOA? You said the downtime of an international RMA would be problematic for you, but you have to consider the possibility that one or more parts will arrive already dead. It sucks, and for most people it doesn't happen, but it's not uncommon either. When I did my first custom build I had to return a motherboard AND a hard drive to Newegg. (Speaking of which, buying extremely expensive parts isn't likely to reduce your chance of part failures in any appreciable way).

I just question whether this is the most sensible way to go about this.

Last edited by DSF; 11-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
DSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
fralexandr
Golden Member

1) you're unlikely to need a 3930k for gaming in the next few years, but ~$300/$3000 = ~10%. You're getting 50% more cores/threads, so it's not that bad of an upgrade. That said, it will improve your gaming performance by ~0%. The 3930k shines for CPU rendering/encode/decode/compute/etc

2) the HSF comes with thermal paste
As for the screwdriver, this mostly depends on what case you're buying, but many cases still require a standard phillips head screwdriver (PH2), to attach SSDs to the HDD bay, mount the PSU, secure the expansion cards, and some still require them to remove or attach the case panels.
But who doesn't have a standard phillips head screw driver?

3) SSDs improve startup response significantly. Recommended procedure on installing windows is to attach ONLY the SSD first, and after installing windows attach the HDD.
you might want to set the my downloads/videos/music folders to the HDD
to do this, right click on the folder > properties > location > set to <E: or whatever the HDD is>
since most of these files will take a lot of space, and are mostly storage stuff

4) the xigmatek is a great cooler. If you plan on buying a SMALL case, you might want to go with a corsair H80/antec kuhler/etc, since you will have limited space around the CPU (esp given the huge fins on the corsair vengeance)

5) mobo = whatever has what you need, <3 asrock

6) all RAM is almost the same

7) the 690 SLI should be fine on the 1050w

8) i'd recommend getting a pioneer bdr-2207 or 2208 bluray player if you want cyberlink powerdvd 10 (i think they're on v12 now), unless you can get the software cheaper in brazil. Software is usually pricey in the US due to copyrights .

other than that, your build seems balanced for a $3k USD rig
you're unlikely to need 32GB, but RAM isn't expensive, and it's nice to have some backup dimms available to keep dual channel in case of DOA (dead on arrival)
the only parts I wouldn't worry about for DOA are the CASE and CPU hah

Last edited by fralexandr; 11-01-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: maths
fralexandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
mfenn
Elite Member
Super Moderator
General Hardware

I'm a little perplexed about the need for screwdrivers to be bought in the US. Surely basic hand tools exist in Brazil?

As for the build, the first thing that jumps out at me is the SSD. A SFF-2281 based drive from a 2nd tier vendor is not something that I want to rely on. Get a solid 256GB drive like the Samsung 840.

Second, the CPU and mobo are wastes of money as far as gaming is concerned. The 3930K is actually going to be slower than the 3770K in games because it has a lower clock speed and doesn't have the Ivy Bridge architectural improvements. Get the 3770K and an ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

Regarding the GPU, the GTX 690 is a really bad idea, especially for somebody in your situation. It sounds like that by the time you'll be able to upgrade, the GTX 690 will be old enough that it would be pointless to get another one. Get two GTX 670's instead. It's essentially the same thing in terms of performance, costs less, and gives you some protection against DOA.

Finally, 1050W is beyond ludicrous for this sort of build (or really any build that isn't made for LN2 deathruns). A good 750W like the Capstone will power any SLI setup you care to name.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
leogobbo

@DSF – Thank you for the insight, I did not have that understanding and agree with you.

@fralexandr – Thank you for your recommendations! I do not need the PowerDVD software, so I`ll keep the cheaper blu-ray I guess.

@mfenn – Incidentally, we do have screwdrivers in Brazil – who would have thought! My asking stemmed from the fact that I did not know if they would be regular/basic screwdrivers or anything more specific, so there you go. I agree with your other comments. Thanks!

After reviewing all the suggestions and comments, below is the updated setup. Everyone will notice that:

- The internet is 100% sure that the 3930k is not worth it. Since I trust the internet, I`m going for the 3770k.
- I do know that the 3770k comes with its own cooler, but am adding a 212 EVO as recommended (and it should be fun assembling it).
- New motherboard to accompany it! Everyone seem to be 50%MSI/50%Asrock, so I`m just choosing the one I liked best.
- Replacing the gtx690 for two gtx680. I am thinking about building a 3-monitor high resolution setup and that could be taxing on the gpus. Moreover, if for bad luck I get a DOA GPU, at least I have another for the PC to work while RMA takes place.
- Changed the memory sticks slightly. Despite the fact that a lot of people think 16gb should be more than enough, 32gb is being bought due future-proofing combined with low prices on memory and possible DOA sticks.
- Samsung SSDs were very well recommended, which led me to replace my SSD for the 830 Series.
- Smaller and better recommended PSU.
- Brand change on the blu-ray.
- Much cheaper!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.22 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($213.16 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2376.78

I am open to further discussion and will update everything with pics in the coming weeks. My fiancée gets there on the 20th and back on the 28th, when rig building will commence.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
dmoney1980
Platinum Member

build looks good! just curious-which case are you using for this build?
dmoney1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Eureka
Diamond Member

Since you seem to have a microcenter close enough, I would recommend getting the 3770K there and getting $50 off a motherboard as well. Saves you around $70 after tax. I would think that even an i5 is enough, since you're not doing anything extremely CPU-taxing, but the 3770k is definitely the sweet spot.

The 256GB 830s can be had for around $150-180, look around for deals. They're dropping in price so I wouldn't pay over $200 for one.

Two 680s would do you good for a long time. I would reconsider looking at AMD cards, but that's once again, your choice. But remember, a 7970 is equal or faster than a 680, and three of them would last you a very long time.

For the parts you are getting and the price you are paying, I would consider looking into overclocking. A mild overclock will take you about an hour of research and 15 minutes of work. You'll see a 30% gain on the i7 easily. Watercooling/high end air cooling would take you even further.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
leogobbo

@dmoney1980 - this is a HUGE problem. I can`t bring a case from the US as my fiancee would probably kill me when she got home. So I need to choose something available here. I`ve looked a bit here where I live (Brasilia, the country`s capital) and the options do not look good - mostly generic ATX cases, no known brand that I could see. Should I look for anything in particular? Something big? With fans? Options I have here are probably CoolerMaster (see here http://fcinfo.com.br/componentes-pecas-dep-753) Thermaltake (http://www.freeshopdocomputador.com....isa=&idcatpai=) and these (http://informatica.mercadolivre.com.br/gabinetes/)

@Eureka - Thank you very much for the price help. I am considering the 7970s - will see them working this weekend and read a lot - but for now am staying with Nvidia. While I originally had no intention to overclock, the idea is growing on me. Everyone is saying overcloking this system could warrant pretty nice gains and could be fun for me to learn as well.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
fralexandr
Golden Member

a lot of people like their coolermaster HAF cases, and the Thermaltake Storm Scout is pretty popular here too
fralexandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Eureka
Diamond Member

You will want a big case with good airflow. If you want tri-fire, you will need a BIG case. Having that many things in there will run hot, if you OC it gets hotter. You will want larger fans (no 80mm, 120mm and up only) for noise. Ideally a case with only 140mm and 200mm fans are best for noise.

If you go with closed loop or custom built water cooling solution, the fans matters less. At that point you have to worry about being able to fit the radiators into the case.

You will also want good cable management. A good case to look at right now are Corsair's 650D and 800D, NZXT Switch 810s, or Cooler Master COSMOS 1000 as examples of what features and design you want in a case. They aren't cheap but they are some of the nicer case designs around. They have removable hard drive trays, ample cooling, large room, and good cable management.

Last edited by Eureka; 11-02-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
mfenn
Elite Member
Super Moderator
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogobbo View Post
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.22 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($184.99 @ Newegg)
This is a lot better, but there are still some issues:
- Mobo: The GD65 is too expensive when compared to the very similar ASRock Z77 Extreme4 for $135
- RAM: The tall heatspreaders on the Vengeance are incompatible with a tower CPU cooler. Heatspreaders don't do anything except get in the way and make the memory look silly, so I would recommend memory without them like this Corsair 8GB stick for $35. In your situation recommend buying the memory as individual sticks rather than kits for easier RMA.
- GPU: The GTX 680 is a complete waste of money because it is only marginally faster than the GTX 670 and yet costs 33% more.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
mfenn
Elite Member
Super Moderator
General Hardware

Quote:
@dmoney1980 - this is a HUGE problem. I can`t bring a case from the US as my fiancee would probably kill me when she got home. So I need to choose something available here. I`ve looked a bit here where I live (Brasilia, the country`s capital) and the options do not look good - mostly generic ATX cases, no known brand that I could see. Should I look for anything in particular? Something big? With fans? Options I have here are probably CoolerMaster (see here http://fcinfo.com.br/componentes-pecas-dep-753) Thermaltake (http://www.freeshopdocomputador.com....isa=&idcatpai=) and these (http://informatica.mercadolivre.com.br/gabinetes/)
You actually have some very decent options there. The HAF 932 or CM690 will work well.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
ketchup79
Diamond Member

I put a CM690 around my last build and it worked perfectly. I loved how CM put USB and audio ports on the top.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
vailr
Diamond Member

OP: Are you sure that you won't get hit with a large Brazilian import duty fee?
For Z77 motherboards, Gigabyte makes excellent boards that can also (fairly easily) install OSX Mountain Lion, for a dual-boot Hackintosh system.
Example build list:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/joVe
Downloadable videos of system assembly (#15) and of OSX installation (#18):
http://twit.tv/kh

vailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
RaistlinZ
Diamond Member

Quote:
@DSF – Thank you for the insight, I did not have that understanding and agree with you.

@fralexandr – Thank you for your recommendations! I do not need the PowerDVD software, so I`ll keep the cheaper blu-ray I guess.

@mfenn – Incidentally, we do have screwdrivers in Brazil – who would have thought! My asking stemmed from the fact that I did not know if they would be regular/basic screwdrivers or anything more specific, so there you go. I agree with your other comments. Thanks!

After reviewing all the suggestions and comments, below is the updated setup. Everyone will notice that:

- The internet is 100% sure that the 3930k is not worth it. Since I trust the internet, I`m going for the 3770k.
- I do know that the 3770k comes with its own cooler, but am adding a 212 EVO as recommended (and it should be fun assembling it).
- New motherboard to accompany it! Everyone seem to be 50%MSI/50%Asrock, so I`m just choosing the one I liked best.
- Replacing the gtx690 for two gtx680. I am thinking about building a 3-monitor high resolution setup and that could be taxing on the gpus. Moreover, if for bad luck I get a DOA GPU, at least I have another for the PC to work while RMA takes place.
- Changed the memory sticks slightly. Despite the fact that a lot of people think 16gb should be more than enough, 32gb is being bought due future-proofing combined with low prices on memory and possible DOA sticks.
- Samsung SSDs were very well recommended, which led me to replace my SSD for the 830 Series.
- Smaller and better recommended PSU.
- Brand change on the blu-ray.
- Much cheaper!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

I am open to further discussion and will update everything with pics in the coming weeks. My fiancée gets there on the 20th and back on the 28th, when rig building will commence.
I would highly recommend the 7970 which can be had for $369.99 after rebate, is as good or faster than a 680, and comes with 3 free games.

In fact, you can spend the same money on 3x7970 and get way better performance than 680SLI.
i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz l ASUS Z87-Pro V Edition l MSI Gaming 970 SLI (1300/1900) l Seasonic X-750 Gold l 16GB PC1866 CAS9 l 2X240 GB Seagate 600 SSD l 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 l Corsair H110 l HAF-XB l Dell U3011
RaistlinZ is offline   Reply With Quote