· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
fel1x

Default MSI P55 GD65 Ram, Cold Boot Bug Issues and some more

Hello Fellas,

I registered here for help with some difficult technical issue due to other HW forums being full of "buy latest anus board" and "buy most expensive corsair" people...

Basicly I got the infamous P55 GD65 from MSI with 4x2GB Skill 1600 CL9 Ripjaws. All the time I had the so-called cold boot bug issue. Bios flashes didn't help. So I bypassed the issue with booting twice.

However, lately a new issue came up. Out of the blue I get the permanent beep code when booting, but going to BIOS and leaving it bypasses the issue. When the PC is on all I do works without issue except some minor TS3 issues that are solved with a single restart of the program.

Currently I do a prime blend test over the night... Didn't find my memtest CD in my personal chaos which makes me do the memtest tomorrow.

I wonder whether anybody can help with the issue. I personally think it will come down to a RAM change. However, I wonder which RAMs would be reliable now as replacement. The compatibility list of MSI is a little outdated.

Does anybody know which RAMs would be reliable on the board? I personally consider 2x4GB of the present Mushkin Redline 1600 CL7 RAMs as replacement and the GeIL Black Dragon Series was recommended by a friend.

The system only used the turbo mode for OC and ran without other issues since end 2009.

I hope the recommendation of this page prooves right

Edit: the beep code seems to indicate a PSU issue, but I highly doubt that... Corsair TX750W in HAF tower. Addionally once started everything works properly as with the coldboot bug issue. Thing is I wouldn't trust that beep code, if all tests and the PC after start work without issue.

Last edited by fel1x; 11-01-2012 at 09:04 PM.
fel1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Slammy1
Platinum Member

Cold boot issues are usually PSU related, the power draw for diagnostics creates a real stress.
Slammy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
harrkev

I do not think that "Highly Technical" is the right venue for this question -- unless you thing that tachyons might be responsible -- try the "computer help" section.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Absolution75

Yeah, this probably isn't the right forum.

Though - I also have this board and I've never run into any issues with it. You can see my system specs in my signature. Its likely your PSU.

I also have G.Skill 4x4GB 1600 Ripjaws - so I doubt that's the problem.

Note: I've never had a single problem with this board though except when I initially installed 2x4GB of ram, they were in the wrong slots (the board is very specific as to what slots you can use with only 2 sticks).
Intel Core i7 860 (Thermalright 120 Ultra) | MSI P55-GD65 | 4x4GB DDR3-1600 | XFX Radeon 7950 | WD 640GB Black & 4x Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5TB (RAID-5) & Samsung F4 1TB | Antec Neo Eco 620c | Logitech Z-5500 | Antec 300 | Dell Ultrasharp 2312HM & Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP | Logitech MX518 | Windows 7 Professional x64

Absolution75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
ketchup79
Diamond Member

If the system shows no errors while running your OS, it is probably not a memory issue. I am going with other folks and recommend swapping the PSU with something else.