Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Memory and Storage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #26
akc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup27 View Post
Ultimately I gave up on UEFI/GPT and went back to BIOS/MBR. I think UEFI/GPT is a good 6 months ahead of it's time. Software support needs to catch up.
1. So no one has duplicated techvslife's corruption issue? (though i believe it's real). How about uninstalling Intel's drivers to rule out?

2. As an aside: As a non-Mac owner I've heard Apple does use Samsung 830 SSDs in their recent laptops, and that Apple supports some form of GPT. Wouldn't that combo present with problems?

3. I'm glad I haven't gone ahead to play with GPT on my 830.... (though I'll look into whether Plextor has done better).
akc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
Oubadah
Senior Member
 
Oubadah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techvslife View Post
I wonder if this happens to any SSD with a GPT format...
I haven't tried GPT on the 830 yet, but I recently formatted my Crucial M4 with GPT:



^ I don't even know how to interpret the results - it it corrupted?
Oubadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #28
Insert_Nickname
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,853
Default

I have run the 830 for 4 months with GPT, without any issues what-so-ever...
Insert_Nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
Coup27
Golden Member
 
Coup27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Nickname View Post
I have run the 830 for 4 months with GPT, without any issues what-so-ever...
If you read the whole thread then you'll see that in normal use you won't see any issues. The issue came about when somebody checked the integrity of the GPT structure and found it to be currupt.

From my limited knowledge of the subject, GPT contains information at the end of the disk which would allow it to be rebuilt from this information. The 830 possibly overwrites this information during use but unless you ever attempt to rebuild a GPT disk with the backup header than you will never see there is a problem.
__________________
Intel i5 4670 | Asus H87I-PLUS | Corsair XMS3 2x4GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD | WD Green 3TB HDD | Seasonic SS-360GP | Lian-Li PC-Q27B mITX | Dell 23" IPS Monitor
Coup27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #30
Insert_Nickname
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup27 View Post
If you read the whole thread then you'll see that in normal use you won't see any issues. The issue came about when somebody checked the integrity of the GPT structure and found it to be currupt.

From my limited knowledge of the subject, GPT contains information at the end of the disk which would allow it to be rebuilt from this information. The 830 possibly overwrites this information during use but unless you ever attempt to rebuild a GPT disk with the backup header than you will never see there is a problem.
No, you misunderstand. The GPT structure is perfect here, no corruption. Mine might be a newer revision then the OPs...?
Insert_Nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
Coup27
Golden Member
 
Coup27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Nickname View Post
No, you misunderstand. The GPT structure is perfect here, no corruption. Mine might be a newer revision then the OPs...?
My bad. I don't know then. There will be no changes in the 830 throughout its life, they'll all be the same. I was able to repeat the OP's problem when I tried on my 830 but with no official word from Samsung on the subject we never really got to the bottom of it.

Be interesting to see if the 840 & 840 Pro are officially supported on GPT.
__________________
Intel i5 4670 | Asus H87I-PLUS | Corsair XMS3 2x4GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD | WD Green 3TB HDD | Seasonic SS-360GP | Lian-Li PC-Q27B mITX | Dell 23" IPS Monitor
Coup27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #32
AdamK47
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 10,723
Default

My Vertex 4 was running MBR until recently. Converted it over to GPT while retaining my Windows install and other data. No problems so far.
__________________
Intel Core i7 5960X - Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 - Four Nvidia GTX 980s in 4-Way SLI - 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD - Four 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSDs in 4TB RAID-0 - 4TB Deskstar 7K4000 HDD - Pioneer BDR-206 BD-RW - Corsair 750D case - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate cooler - LEPA G1600 power supply - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard - CST LaserTRAC 2545W trackball - BenQ BL3200PT monitor - Shure SRH1440 headphones - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #33
greenturtle99
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Default I am experiencing identical problems

I have been following this thread for some time and had nothing to contribute. However, I want to confirm I have identical problems since I started my new build in late summer. I have two Samsung 830 SSDs that have only the EFI boot partition and Linux ext4 partitions. I have left substantial unpartitioned space (40GB) on each SSD for now since I have been unable to find out exactly how Samsung overprovisions the SSDs. Version 3.2 of the Magician software has been no help.

I have a Windows 7 installation on an HDD primarily for diagnostics since Linux is not officially supported on my Asus P9X79 WS. Mostly I run VMs for daily use of guest OSs. Usually, the back up table corruption happens on the SSD that does not have the EFI boot sector but also happens occasionally on the other SSD. I have had no operational errors otherwise and I keep copies of the GPT partition tables on HDD as well as backups (remember to back up your EFI partition). But low level corruptions (even of backup tables) are always irritating.

This has been an education in the state of implementation of EFI, GPT, motherboards and SSDs. I have followed all the suggestions in the thread, very slowly and iteratively, to try to isolate the problems (boy do I dislike intermittent failures). It has made me very skittish about SSDs that do not list what they support and don't (usually very incomplete and impossible to find out even from the vendor). I bought Samsung because it was one of the few consumer SSDs that claimed support for Linux. I hope the release of Windows 8 will push the maturity of EFI and GPT.

But let me confirm the problem exists.

Last edited by greenturtle99; 12-11-2012 at 09:48 AM.
greenturtle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #34
Amnesia1187
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenturtle99 View Post
I have been following this thread for some time and had nothing to contribute. However, I want to confirm I have identical problems since I started my new build in late summer. I have two Samsung 830 SSDs that have only the EFI boot partition and Linux ext4 partitions. I have left substantial unpartitioned space (40GB) on each SSD for now since I have been unable to find out exactly how Samsung overprovisions the SSDs. Version 3.2 of the Magician software has been no help.

I have a Windows 7 installation on an HDD primarily for diagnostics since Linux is not officially supported on my Asus P9X79 WS. Mostly I run VMs for daily use of guest OSs. Usually, the back up table corruption happens on the SSD that does not have the EFI boot sector but also happens occasionally on the other SSD. I have had no operational errors otherwise and I keep copies of the GPT partition tables on HDD as well as backups (remember to back up your EFI partition). But low level corruptions (even of backup tables) are always irritating.

This has been an education in the state of implementation of EFI, GPT, motherboards and SSDs. I have followed all the suggestions in the thread, very slowly and iteratively, to try to isolate the problems (boy do I dislike intermittent failures). It has made me very skittish about SSDs that do not list what they support and don't (usually very incomplete and impossible to find out even from the vendor). I bought Samsung because it was one of the few consumer SSDs that claimed support for Linux. I hope the release of Windows 8 will push the maturity of EFI and GPT.

But let me confirm the problem exists.
What exactly are you doing to see the corruption? As it's a different controller the problem may not exist at all on my 840 pro, but I gave been validating my disk in gDisk periodically to check for any issues. How frequently is it happening for you? Any errors or anything in your System Event Logs?
Amnesia1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
greenturtle99
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Default

I am using gdisk too. I have not found any correlation in the system logs. The only way I find it is periodically running gdisk. There is some correlation between dual booting into Windows 7 but it can still happen in Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) without ever running Windows 7 natively. I have been ramping on using GSmartControl (smartmontools - Samsung 830 is in their database), trim in Linux.

I happens perhaps once a week but it really random with several in quick succession and and then I go a week or two. Are you seeing this on the 840 pro's too? The should be up to date on EFI/GPT because of the Windows 8 rollout (I hope). I have not stayed in Windows 7 long enough to correlate anything to this corruption.

In my fstab:

UUID=randomhex / ext4 defaults,relatime,discard 0 1
UUID=randomsmallhex /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1

I understand the "discard" is important to maintain performance by enabling trim (on supported file systems). I am doing maintenance manually once a week since I don't know the source of the errors. I have not tried changing the EFI partition to "discard".

This weeks experiment is to turn off the Legacy bios compatibility in the Asus firmware making it pure EFI for a long term test (at least a couple of weeks). I gave up doing quick changes and I am being very methodical now.

Last edited by greenturtle99; 12-11-2012 at 01:00 PM.
greenturtle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #36
wpcoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Thailand
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup27 View Post
What MS is saying is that if you want to boot in UEFI mode with GPT, then Windows must reside on a GPT disk. This is a bit of a silly statement because when you install Windows in UEFI mode then it automatically uses GPT anyway. Any subsequent disks you use for data or whatever else can be MBR or GPT. My storage drive I left in MBR and I had no issue.
Interesting. Recently I experimented with Win8 and installed it in an EFI/GPT configuration, but Win8 could *not* see/access my other SSD or HDD when they were MBR.

Only after I converted my second SSD to GPT could Win8 in an EFI/GPT configuration see/access it.

I ended up reverting to BIOS/MBR because I didn't want the hassle of shuffling data off of my 1TB HDD to convert it to GPT.

Is there something unique to Win8 that would prevent me from seeing/using MBR drives when I have an EFI/GPT Win8 boot drive?
wpcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #37
geohei
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
Default

Hi.

I found this thread through Google. I have a similar problem, but no data corruption (yet). Can someone confirm that the problem described below is the same one as discussed in this thread?

--

I installed Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.10 and Arch Linux (in that order) on a WD 1TB HDD using UEFI (Gigabyte Z77 motherboard) and GPT for the HDD. Everything worked fine.

Now ... when I use the Samsung SSD 840 PRO Serie (lastest firmware DXM04B0Q is on) and start installing Windows 7, the installer shows already that Windows 7 can't be installed on that disk because no MBR ... (can't remember the exact phrasing). But then, when I continue the installation, all works fine. EFI partition (100 MB), msftres partition (128 MB) and the Windows 7 partition is installed. Later on I proceed with Ubuntu and Arch Linux ... all works just fine!

GParted shows that the device uses GPT ... so all good!

But ... when I reboot the system, the UEFI Boot Manager doesn't show the SSD to be able to start using UEFI. It only shows the BIOS type entry.

The actually shown UEFI Boot Manager BIOS start entry is: "P0: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series"
The UEFI Boot Manager UEFI start entry should be: "UEFI: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series"

The second one, I don't see.

For the previously, for testing purpose used HDD, I saw:
The shown UEFI Boot Manager BIOS start entry is: "P2: WDC WD1000FYPS-01ZKB"
The shown UEFI Boot Manager UEFI start entry is: "UEFI: WDC WD1000FYPS-01ZKB"
That's the way it should be and also what I expected for the SSD to see.

Honestly, I have no clue where to start to look for the error.

Is it the motherboard UEFI firmware which doesn't support Samsung SSD UEFI start?
Is it the Samsung firmware?
Is it something I forgot / didn't know to do prior installing the OSs?

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Last edited by geohei; 01-20-2013 at 01:12 PM.
geohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #38
geohei
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
Default

Update ...

I ran one more test and installed Windows 7 again, and the error message that Windows 7 can't be installed on that SSD didn't reappear. No clue why!

But then, I kept on testing. I noticed that "UEFI: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series" showed after Windows 7 was installed AND the BIOS was reflashed (same firmware version, F14). When I selected "UEFI: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series", Windows 7 started properly. However when rebooting, I noticed that the "UEFI: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series" entry in UEFI Boot Manager was replaced by "Windows Boot Manager".

So in fact, what I described in the previous article seems to be normal.

I don't have deep knowledge about the UEFI Boot Manager mechanisms, but the replacement of the SSD UEFI entry seems to be done on purpose by the Windows boot loader.

Hence, I believe I can safely use the system as it is now, without any worries about UEFI/GPT incompatibilities.

Last edited by geohei; 01-31-2013 at 09:46 AM.
geohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #39
Coup27
Golden Member
 
Coup27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
Interesting. Recently I experimented with Win8 and installed it in an EFI/GPT configuration, but Win8 could *not* see/access my other SSD or HDD when they were MBR.

Only after I converted my second SSD to GPT could Win8 in an EFI/GPT configuration see/access it.

I ended up reverting to BIOS/MBR because I didn't want the hassle of shuffling data off of my 1TB HDD to convert it to GPT.

Is there something unique to Win8 that would prevent me from seeing/using MBR drives when I have an EFI/GPT Win8 boot drive?
Nothing that I am aware of. My Windows 7 test installation detected my MBR HDD absolutely fine.

I am more than likely going to give Windows 8 a wide birth on the desktop front.
__________________
Intel i5 4670 | Asus H87I-PLUS | Corsair XMS3 2x4GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD | WD Green 3TB HDD | Seasonic SS-360GP | Lian-Li PC-Q27B mITX | Dell 23" IPS Monitor
Coup27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
gillesv
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Samsung Magician 4.0 is available : Completely redesigned, support MBR & GPT.
I've installed it on my PC (W8 x64 / SDD830 GPT) : it's OK.

Can be downloaded from : http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../MZ-7PC256D/AM
gillesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gpt, raid, ssd, uefi, windows 7 64

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.