· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Meractik
Golden Member

Default Political direct mail...

So I live in California and I am registered with a political party and I can't believe how much direct mail in relation to candidates I keep getting on a daily basis, is there a way to stop this once and for all?

Edit: before some smart-ass comes in to post wait until after Nov 6th, I am asking the question to see if there is something I can do for future years and elections to ensure that I do not continue to get tons of pamphlets and poster boards for candidates in the mail..

Last edited by Meractik; 11-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Meractik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Moonbeam
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meractik View Post
So I live in California and I am registered with a political party and I can't believe how much direct mail in relation to candidates I keep getting on a daily basis, is there a way to stop this once and for all?
Think of your Red State rural brothers who depend on universal same price first and other class mail. If the Postal Service goes belly up they will suffer more than folk in high population places. Take the mail and recycle it and stop feeling like a victim. It doesn't take a huge pair to deal with the mail.
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Meractik
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Think of your Red State rural brothers who depend on universal same price first and other class mail. If the Postal Service goes belly up they will suffer more than folk in high population places. Take the mail and recycle it and stop feeling like a victim. It doesn't take a huge pair to deal with the mail.
Its the principal that im getting the mail when I did not opt-in or ask to receive it. It would be one thing if when filling out a voter registration card that I said sure send me direct mail, but I did not.
Meractik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Actually this could be a saving grace for the USPS. That is if they charged full price for the mailing instead of bulk rates.
Londo_Jowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Moonbeam
Elite Member

Quote:
Its the principal that im getting the mail when I did not opt-in or ask to receive it. It would be one thing if when filling out a voter registration card that I said sure send me direct mail, but I did not.
Man up, you can handle it. Think more of others. It's not like you're the only person this happens to. Just imagine if you lived with a paranoid who had to have all the names from the mail removed and destroyed before it got thrown away, and you had to do it. I'll play you a concerto on my words smallest violin when that happens to you.
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
monovillage
Diamond Member

There's nothing you can do about it as far as I know since it's a free political speech issue. They have a perfect right to send you information, you have a perfect right to recycle it, trash it or use it as kindling. Too bad it's not printed on something that's softer and more absorbent.
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:

Edit: before some smart-ass comes in to post wait until after Nov 6th, I am asking the question to see if there is something I can do for future years and elections to ensure that I do not continue to get tons of pamphlets and poster boards for candidates in the mail..

If there is an envelope included in the political mail, tear up their ad and mail it back at their expense. They will finally get the message.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
hal2kilo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
If there is an envelope included in the political mail, tear up their ad and mail it back at their expense. They will finally get the message.
I guess tha'ts why all the crap comes on giant glossy postcards these days.

Go Seahawks!

Love my new Grande Cherokee Eco-Diesel
hal2kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Dulanic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2kilo View Post
I guess tha'ts why all the crap comes on giant glossy postcards these days.
I got 5 of those today! 3 right attack ads, 1 left attack ad, and 1 left pro candidate ad (Joe Kennedy).

It's sad for both sides how it's all attacks now.

Last edited by Dulanic; 11-03-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Dulanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
DaveSimmons
Elite Member

I'm a registered voter, but here in WA we don't need to declare a party affiliation. I still get piles of these too, though less this year than last.

Unfortunately political spam is protected speech, so do not call and no catalogs lists don't apply. Polspam is unstoppable. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.
DaveSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
jackschmittusa
Diamond Member

I'm a registered independent and I have gotten loads of this crap too. I have never heard of a place around where I live that recycles this junk. They don't even want it with the newspapers I recycle. Waste of trees.
jackschmittusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, direct mail, political, vote