· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
dimitris89gr

Default HDD for laptop

Hello all,

I currently have a Western Digital Blue Scorpio 320GB 5400rpm in my laptop. I wanted to upgrade it so I bought a Western Digital Black Scorpio 760GB 7200rpm. However, the disk vibrated the whole laptop too much for me, so I put it in my desktop. Now I have the following options:

1)Western Digital 1TB Scorpio Blue
2) Toshiba 1TB
3)Hitachi Travelstar 1TB
4)Seagate 1TB Momentus

All four drives are rated at 5400rpm. In your opinion, the difference in vibration is due to the 7200rpm instead of 5400?
Which of the previous four drives is considered quieter?

Thank you for your time
dimitris89gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
dave_the_nerd
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris89gr View Post
Hello all,

I currently have a Western Digital Blue Scorpio 320GB 5400rpm in my laptop. I wanted to upgrade it so I bought a Western Digital Black Scorpio 760GB 7200rpm. However, the disk vibrated the whole laptop too much for me, so I put it in my desktop. Now I have the following options:

1)Western Digital 1TB Scorpio Blue
2) Toshiba 1TB
3)Hitachi Travelstar 1TB
4)Seagate 1TB Momentus

All four drives are rated at 5400rpm. In your opinion, the difference in vibration is due to the 7200rpm instead of 5400?
Which of the previous four drives is considered quieter?

Thank you for your time
I've never noticed any vibration from my 7200 rpm laptop drives. I have a 500GB Momentus in my laptop (and a 320GB Momentus in my desktop) and they're both pretty quiet.

Then again, I have no idea how much "too much" vibration is for you, so... yeah.

Windows Gaming Box: AsRock Z77E-ITX / i5-3570k @ 4GHz / 8GB RAM / GTX 660Ti / Samsung EVO 250GB / Seagate Momentus 750GB / Silverstone SG05. NAS: Foxconn D-70S-P (Celeron 1037U) / 4GB DDR3 / 3x 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200, RAID-Z / APEX MI-008.
dave_the_nerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Coup27
Golden Member

What about re-looking at your requirements? Why do you need so much space in a 1 drive layout? Could you not put in a small SSD (64/128GB) which would be a lot faster and vibration free and use an external drive for the bulk storage? If you weren't keen on wires, you can get WiFi enabled external drives like a Seagate Satellite.

If you have to have a large single drive then I would get another blue. Not only do I think WD make the best drives but you also know what to expect from a blue so won't be disappointed.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
corkyg
Peripherals

I have had nothing but 7200 rpm HDDs in my laptops until I recently changed to SSD. I never had any vibration from the HDDs. Sounds like you got one that was out of balance slightly. I strongly recommend the Seagate Momentus XT. The 500GB is excellent - never used anything bigger. I think that in a laptop, 500GB is a sweet spot.

The Momentus XT really gave me a noticeable performance kick as well. Boot/load time was only about 10 seconds slower than a SSD.

"We all have private ails. The troublemakers are they who need public cures for their private ails." - Eric Hoffer
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Coup27
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
I have had nothing but 7200 rpm HDDs in my laptops until I recently changed to SSD. I never had any vibration from the HDDs. Sounds like you got one that was out of balance slightly. I strongly recommend the Seagate Momentus XT. The 500GB is excellent - never used anything bigger. I think that in a laptop, 500GB is a sweet spot.

The Momentus XT really gave me a noticeable performance kick as well. Boot/load time was only about 10 seconds slower than a SSD.
The XT is also 7,200rpm. Unless he did get a bad WD Black (which would be easy to diagnose actually) the XT is likely to be ruled out for the same reason as the Black he purchased.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
dimitris89gr

I need the high capacity cause I run multiple OS on my laptop (Windows 7,8 and 2 linux distros)
Old 11-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Coup27
Golden Member

Fair enough. Have you placed the Black on a flat surface via an adapter to see if it jumps about? It might be an unbalanced drive as I have never seen or heard of a hdd causing that much vibration.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
dimitris89gr

I tried it but it does not jump about. If i place my hands on the desk I can feel the vibration
Old 11-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
dave_the_nerd
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris89gr View Post
I tried it but it does not jump about. If i place my hands on the desk I can feel the vibration
Like, a little tingle in your fingers? Or like, OMG MY LAPTOP IS MOVING!

Because a little tingle is kinda normal.

Also - is the HDD the only moving part in the laptop, or are there fans, optical, etc., that are contributing?

Windows Gaming Box: AsRock Z77E-ITX / i5-3570k @ 4GHz / 8GB RAM / GTX 660Ti / Samsung EVO 250GB / Seagate Momentus 750GB / Silverstone SG05. NAS: Foxconn D-70S-P (Celeron 1037U) / 4GB DDR3 / 3x 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200, RAID-Z / APEX MI-008.
dave_the_nerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Tom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. I can't compare to a full ssd but the 500gb Seagate Momentus XT boots up and runs my usual programs a lot faster than the previous regualr hard drive.

btw, its on sale for $68 at Amazon.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
C1
Golden Member

Ya, I noticed this (ie, vibration variation among drives) particularly mess'n with 3.5" drives.

For example, a friend and I bought the same Hitachi's. He loaned me his so that I could put some some stuff on it for him. His 7200 rpm drive was so balanced that you couldnt tell it was running while mine you could easily feel the vibration. So I think that there is a tolerance allowed for noise/vibration.

Finally, check to see if your drive features an anti-noise setting option in its firmware. Usually a utility is needed to access any available firmware switches, but such utility might be available on any disk that came with the drive if it was boxed, or could be downloadable from the drive's manufacturer.

Download HDDScan and see if your drive supports Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM). If so change the value from 254 (default) to 128 (minimum).

Last edited by C1; 11-04-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Add information about AAM
C1 is offline   Reply With Quote