· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
maniacalpha1-1
Diamond Member

Default Dreamfall Chapers finally going in production

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...pre-production

Quote:
Years ago Funcom announced that the studio had secured money to start researching and planning the development of the next game in The Longest Journey franchise. Since then any information about the series has been minimal, especially since creator Ragnar Tornquist was busy helping Funcom release their recent MMO, The Secret World.
That changed today, though, with Funcom's announcement that they will be partnering with Tornquist's new Red Thread Games studio to bring the series back to life. Titled Dreamfall Chapters, the plan is to release the game in an episodic fashion, and Red Thread Games has licensed the franchise out from Funcom. Chapters is currently in pre-production, and Red Thread Games plans to independently fund and produce the series, sharing revenue with Funcom.
Tonquist stated the following in today's press release:
I'm very excited to finally have the opportunity to continue the 'The Longest Journey' saga. Ever since we ended 'Dreamfall' on a nail-biting cliffhanger, players have been rightfully demanding a sequel, and my deal with Funcom will finally make that possible. I'm extremely grateful to Funcom for this unique and exciting opportunity, and I can't wait to dive back into the universe I helped create more than a decade ago, and continue the story players have been waiting for these past six years.
For now that's all the studio is saying about the game, though further details will be provided "in the coming months." The question on our mind now is whether or not "independently funded" means they'll be turning to Kickstarter?
Are you an old EQ/EQ2 vet looking to secure the future of EverQuest? Go the to EQ Next forum at https://forums.station.sony.com/ever...t-discussion.1 and the Landmark forum at https://forums.station.sony.com/land...-off-topic.77/ to advocate today! EQ Nexus IRC is at http://eqnexus.com/chat/
maniacalpha1-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
runzwithsizorz
Platinum Member

I loved "The Longest Journey" saga, am looking forward to finally seeing a resolution to the game. Great story and hope the next installment lives up to the other two!

Wife of Runa
runzwithsizorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Dumac
Diamond Member

Episodic? I hate episodic content. I have never seen it done well, as the piece-wise nature is too restrictive on gameplay. Especially for adventure games like this.

I never played Dreamfall, but I loved The Loungest Journey. Is Dreamfall any good?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
dighn
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumac View Post
Episodic? I hate episodic content. I have never seen it done well, as the piece-wise nature is too restrictive on gameplay. Especially for adventure games like this.
yeah i'm skeptical about this. after waiting for years I'd rather they complete the saga in one installment.

Quote:
I never played Dreamfall, but I loved The Loungest Journey. Is Dreamfall any good?
It's great, until the awful cliffhanger of an ending that's going to take like 7+ years to resolve. That was so annoying that I've pretty much wiped the whole game from my memory.
dighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
kyrax12
Platinum Member

What is the gameplay like?

Any battles?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
FalseChristian
Diamond Member

How does it compare to the greatest game ever made: Quake?
Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (45x100) 1.350v-Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 (BIOS 3402)-16GB Kingston VR DDR3-1333Mhz @ 1600MHz 1.65v-2 EVGA GTX 760 2GB (1212/7600) ACX-750w Cooler Master GXII-RealTek on-board sound-Intel Onboard 1Gb Ethernet-Rogers Cable Internet 6.6MB/second-2TB Seagate 7200 SATA 6 HD-3TB SeaGate USB 3.0 EHD-22" Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW 1680x1050 67Htz-Windows 7 HP 64-bit SP1
FalseChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
dighn
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrax12 View Post
What is the gameplay like?

Any battles?
it's your typical adventure game where you solve puzzles (often requiring the use and combination of inventory items). this changes the mold a bit by adding some combat and action-based puzzles. the combat is fairly basic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseChristian View Post
How does it compare to the greatest game ever made: Quake?
yes
dighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Bonesdad
Platinum Member

glad to see this happening, finally. TLJ and Dreamfall were both excellent from what I remember. Hope they give it the attention to detail it deserves.

heat = 3-0-0 Ebay = 71-0-0
Bonesdad is offline   Reply With Quote