Kroze
Diamond Member

You can only trust Honda & Toyota.
Kroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
billw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
You're saying busted lower control arms, faulty sensors, bad cats, and blown pistons aren't cheap repairs?!
Yeah, I've had all of those happen. Not on my own cars thank god. Never owned a Chev but driven many.

The fuel economy ratings are way out of wack here in Canada, which is something that really irks me. Chevrolet says the Tahoe gets 28mpg highway on the Canadian site but only 21mpg on the US site. They claim the Cruze gets 52mpg. No f-ing way.

I'm just picking on Chev because I was looking for a monstrous vehicle and the Tahoe was the first that came to mind. All car companies are like this. They still test them here under ideal conditions on level tracks. Even then it's a stretch. Should I get comped for my gas expenses? If Hyundai has to, Honda better have the cheque in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Yeah, our test is now a bit tougher and Canada is using the Imperial gallon, which is quite a bit bigger than the US gallon. Combine those and you get a 4X4 Grand Cherokee 5.7L rated at 17/28 in Canada vs 13/20 US.
Isn't Canada kilometers vs miles in the USA? Wouldn't that make up for the different numbers?

Last edited by billw; 11-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
billw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
spaceman
Lifer

28mpg on a tahoe
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Yeah, our test is now a bit tougher and Canada is using the Imperial gallon, which is quite a bit bigger than the US gallon. Combine those and you get a 4X4 Grand Cherokee 5.7L rated at 17/28 in Canada vs 13/20 US.
Yep 1 Imp Gallon = 1.2 US Gallons, or 20% more fuel.

Add to that the US EPA testing is now brutal as hell (A/C use, lots of speeding up/slowing down).

I don't doubt someone doing 60-65MPH steady in a Tahoe on level ground (lots of that here in Texas) could get 28 miles on 1.2 US gallons.

At the same time, it's pretty obvious that if you're on the highway in the city, and have to merge, adjust speed for morons, etc, that 20-22 is more likely. Less than that if you have lots of stuff in the vehicle, inclines, etc.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #30
Turin39789
Lifer

So, I need to pick up a cheap salvaged soul and find a way to run up the odometer?

"Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity." –Lord Acton
Turin39789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #31
LTC8K6
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw View Post
Isn't Canada kilometers vs miles in the USA? Wouldn't that make up for the different numbers?
They typically use "liters per 100 kilometers".

However, you can select miles per gallon at the Canadian site, but it's Imperial gallons.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
Plugers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Thats nice. Is Chevy gonna pay me off for shitty build quality and excessive "deleted" maintenance?
GM called, they want their 1985 Blazer back.

Last edited by Bartman39; 11-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Plugers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #33
BUTCH1
Lifer

Quote:
Thats nice. Is Chevy gonna pay me off for shitty build quality and excessive "deleted" maintenance?

Ok keep it civil getting a bit over...

AT Moderator
Bartman39
Maybe, if it's a relatively new model. My seat frame weld cracked on my '05 Malibu LT, some goggling found out that it has happened to a lot of people, at 205lbs I'm not exactly a land monster and some of the folks who had it happen was when a 110lb wife was driving the car. I called GM about having to spend $1000 for a seat frame, explained this is not an item that should break under normal use for decades and that my now cracked-weld seat was unsafe in event of an accident as it would fly into the windshield (with me buckled in it). GM contacted the local dealer who sold me the car and they did a "goodwill replacement" for free, 3 years after the warranty had expired..
Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #34
shortylickens
No Lifer

Sorry, for a second I thought this was OT.

In fact, I almost never post here so was this an OT thread originally? Did it get moved?
Or am I losing my marbles.
shortylickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #35
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
Yep 1 Imp Gallon = 1.2 US Gallons, or 20% more fuel.
They rarely specify it's imperial gallons so it's definitely a source of confusion. Still a moot point though. I did direct conversion to miles per US gallons from the litres/100km figures the manufacturers give. They're basically claiming a full size SUV will get the same fuel economy as a small sedan gets in the real world. False advertising. There needs to be a change in the way vehicle fuel efficiency is measured in Canada. I usually go by the EPA since the test is more stringent and closer to real world conditions.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #36
sdifox
No Lifer

Why is the EPA only testing 15% of car models? It's not like there is that many to test. And the EPA is in charge of CAFE enforcement so I don't see why they are not testing all vehicles.
http://primaryaccounting.ca

Last edited by sdifox; 11-04-2012 at 04:34 PM.
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #37
BrunoPuntzJones
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
Why is the EPA only testing 15% of car models? It's not like there is that many to test. And the EPA is in charge of CAFE enforcement so I don't see why they are not testing all vehicles.
Edmunds shows 595 current models.
Iraq has been like breaking a lamp in Pottery Barn. You break it, you buy it. Except you have to glue it back together. And you can never leave the store. Oh, and did I mention it was an exploding lamp?

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
exar333
Diamond Member

Shows you what sh!t companies Kia and Hyundai are. First they overstated HP numbers about 5 years ago and lost that class-action lawsuit and now this. Who would buy this trash?
5820K @ 4.5 Ghz; 3500uncore; 1.3v
16GB (4x4GB) @2666mhz; 15-15-15-38; 1.35v
EVGA GTX 970 SC @ 1545c/7780m; 3440x1440 LG
exar333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #39
tortillasoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroze View Post
It's funny that you say that because that too has been my observation. GM, Hyundai and Kia, I'm most certain they cheat on the EPA fuel economy tests but Toyota and Honda, they're either accurate or their numbers are actually on the conservative side. The other Japanese Automakers I don't have too much experience with but from what limited information I've found, their numbers aren't too outlandish. So I guess you could say Honda + Toyota, Conservative rating, Ford and other Japanese Automakers--accurate sometimes slightly generous, and GM, Chrysler, Kia/Hyundai, almost always inaccurate and generous.
tortillasoup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #40
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
28mpg on a tahoe
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Downhill stretch on I70 coming into Denver out of the Rockies

10 miles of downhill grade; that is where they got the 28mpg from.

There is also another place; coming out of the Sierras on I80 into Reno or Sacramento.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #41
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic

Quote:

In fact, I almost never post here so was this an OT thread originally? Did it get moved?
yeah it was. i thought i'd hit the edit button on the OP but maybe not. so, everything before my first post was made in OT.

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
Mermaidman
Diamond Member

Quote:

Yes.

This thread should be in OT.
Mermaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #43
dbk
Lifer

hopefully this will drive down the value of hyundais even more.. i wouldn't mind a used genesis sedan
Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #44
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
They rarely specify it's imperial gallons so it's definitely a source of confusion. Still a moot point though. I did direct conversion to miles per US gallons from the litres/100km figures the manufacturers give. They're basically claiming a full size SUV will get the same fuel economy as a small sedan gets in the real world. False advertising. There needs to be a change in the way vehicle fuel efficiency is measured in Canada. I usually go by the EPA since the test is more stringent and closer to real world conditions.
Yep, US EPA MPG testing is now fairly accurate in real-world use imho, as long as it's tested correctly.

At the same time, it's easy to beat or to miss EPA fuel economy spec depending on circumstances.

In my '08 Focus, I regularly saw 42-44mpg on long trips, with 65-75mph sustained speed, A/C use, etc. This is with the 5MT. In the city I saw low to high 30s depending on time of year. This is a fair bit better than the EPA estimated fuel economy, but on those long trips (Dallas to Knoxville and Dallas to Los Angeles round trips) I was able to maintain speed for hours on end with very little throttle adjustment. I also used better motor oil and had an aftermarket air intake system and ECU tuning.

In my '12 TC 6MT, I am seeing ~22.5 mixed, probably 60/40 city/highway. Even if I reset my computer and do calculations after fillup, I still only hit 28 or so highway, which is a bit disappointing compared to the 23/31 EPA rating. To be fair, the tollways around here I drive on has packs of cars doing 80-85mph, so I'm sure that takes a toll, and I do have a bit of a heavy foot around town, it's close enough to call that fairly accurate. It's still a pretty big let-down from the Focus though.

I think what it boils down to is people need to be better educated on the testing methodology and calculate based on their typical usage patterns. It's a good reason why you might be able to get 28mpg on 1.2 gallons in a Tahoe in perfect flat conditions @ 60-65mph with no accel/decel, but that's not really indicative in typical usage patterns. The GM LS-series motors are really efficient once cruising, but if you're slowing down and speeding up, or get a bit of a lead foot when you do need to speed up, and that fuel economy will plummet like a rock.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #45
SparkyJJO
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroze View Post
Haha... no.

Honda got in trouble for padding their numbers a few years ago.

CO2 is evil. Stop breathing

"I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money that you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." - Thomas Sowell
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyundai, kia, korean, marbles, mpg