· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Default FEMA and the States

1. What has to happen prior to the Federal government and FEMA can obtain and then forward deploy material and manpower to help in a natural disaster?

2. Once the equipment and manpower is available to use to assist in that disaster what must the Federal government and FEMA have from the State?

I'll let you think about that for awhile. (I am going to check on the football game now.)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Perfect!

ROFLMAO! No one knows.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
ivwshane
Diamond Member

It's on their website:
http://www.fema.gov/media/fact_sheet...n_process.shtm
Old 11-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
jackstar7
Diamond Member

Pilot, I only ask that you make your next 4000 posts as excellent as these first 4000.
jackstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
Pilot, I only ask that you make your next 4000 posts as excellent as these first 4000.
No problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
So if a governor refuses to ask for aid, then no federal aid can come in. Right?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
ivwshane
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
So if a governor refuses to ask for aid, then no federal aid can come in. Right?
It would appear so.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Quote:
Even if they request the aid they must prove that the state and local resources can't handle the emergency.

Quote:
In this request the Governor certifies that the combined local, county and state resources are insufficient and that the situation is beyond their recovery capabilities. Following a FEMA regional and national office review of the request and the findings of the preliminary damage assessment, FEMA provides the President an analysis of the situation and a recommended course of action.
Londo_Jowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
a777pilot
Diamond Member

So then you are saying that the problems with New Orleans was really the failure of the Governor and not that of Mr.Bush. Thanks, but then I knew that.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
ivwshane
Diamond Member

Quote:
So then you are saying that the problems with New Orleans was really the failure of the Governor and not that of Mr.Bush. Thanks, but then I knew that.
Nope, you are still an idiot:

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/politics/blanco.asp
Old 11-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
dawheat
Golden Member

Quote:
From what I recall, the governor asked and got approved for federal aid during Katrina before it actually made landfall and before it reached maximum strength.

The failure was that even after authorized, federal assistance didn't arrive in force for several additional days while local resources were completely inadequate for a disaster of this scale.

<edit> In the aftermath, I also recall that Bush was pretty active in trying to get federal assistance in. The issue was that FEMA was completely incompetent and lacked urgency in their response, pointing to failures in leadership starting with Brown. As he was a political appointee by President Bush, much of the blame did legitimately fall on Bush's shoulders. <edit>

Last edited by dawheat; 11-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.
dawheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawheat View Post
From what I recall, the governor asked and got approved for federal aid during Katrina before it actually made landfall and before it reached maximum strength.

The failure was that even after authorized, federal assistance didn't arrive in force for several additional days while local resources were completely inadequate for a disaster of this scale.
Yes, Mr. Bush, did declare the Gulf Coast as a disaster area before that storm even made landfall. A first in US history. Then the Governor refused to allow the aid in, saying they could handle it themselves. They couldn't.

The MSM didn't like Bush so it was all his fault.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:

<edit> In the aftermath, I also recall that Bush was pretty active in trying to get federal assistance in. The issue was that FEMA was completely incompetent and lacked urgency in their response, pointing to failures in leadership starting with Brown. As he was a political appointee by President Bush, much of the blame did legitimately fall on Bush's shoulders. <edit>
Your edit is in total error and you are just parroting the talking points of The Democrats and their lackeys, the MSM.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
ivwshane
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes, Mr. Bush, did declare the Gulf Coast as a disaster area before that storm even made landfall. A first in US history. Then the Governor refused to allow the aid in, saying they could handle it themselves. They couldn't.

The MSM didn't like Bush so it was all his fault.
Nope you are still an idiot, an even bigger one now for repeating righty talking points from emails you received in your spam box that you promptly marked "safe".

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/kat...t.exclude.html
Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nope you are still an idiot, an even bigger one now for repeating righty talking points from emails you received in your spam box that you promptly marked "safe".

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/kat...t.exclude.html
Quote:

President Bush declared a state of emergency in Louisiana on Saturday (That's two days before landfall) because of the approach of Hurricane Katrina and his spokesman urged residents along the coast to heed authorities' advice to evacuate... ...The president's emergency declaration authorizes the FEMA to coordinate all disaster relief efforts and to provide appropriate assistance in a number of Louisiana parishes, or counties.
Quote:
A key factor in Katrina a was Governor Blanco’s ignorance of how the Stafford Act works. The President issues the emergency authorization, but the Governor must ask for specific things (like boots on the ground, relief supplies, permission to use airports, etc). Blanco asked for practically nothing in her Stafford Act memo, so FEMA and other agencies had no authority to enter Louisiana. In most cases they waited at the border for someone to wise Blanco up. Which was not until Thursday of that week, meanwhile the press is having a field day telling us that Bush was doing nothing (legally he couldn’t). No “journalist” explained or even mentioned the Stafford Act.
Damn those Republican talking points. LOL!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
ivwshane
Diamond Member

Quote:

Damn those Republican talking points. LOL!
Holy shit you are retarded!

Blanco requested a state of emergency on 8/26, bush approved it the next day, yes before landfall. So no Bush did not request it first.

Second, blanco did not turn away help as you said she did.

If you want to change your argument (par for the course for a righty) go for it but your original point is invalid.

Now stop posting before you embarrass yourself more or at the very least change your avatar as you are a disgrace to what it symbolizes.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:
Holy shit you are retarded!

Blanco requested a state of emergency on 8/26, bush approved it the next day, yes before landfall. So no Bush did not request it first.

Second, blanco did not turn away help as you said she did.

If you want to change your argument (par for the course for a righty) go for it but your original point is invalid.

Now stop posting before you embarrass yourself more or at the very least change your avatar as you are a disgrace to what it symbolizes.
I might, and most certainly am, retarded but every thing I posted was and remains a fact.

Are you trying to tell us that Bush did NOT declare a state of emergency two days early? Are you trying to tell us the governor did not keep federal aid out?

If yes, that's too funny.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
GarfieldtheCat
Diamond Member

Quote:
Perfect!

ROFLMAO! No one knows.
Just a thought, our other big troll tried that concept, that "unless you refute what I say right away, you are admitting it's true".

It didn't work out to well for him, it isn't working for you, and it certainly isn't true.

People know, they just don't want to bother wasting time replying to a admitted troll.
GarfieldtheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
dawheat
Golden Member

Quote:

2. A key factor in Katrina a was Governor Blanco’s ignorance of how the Stafford Act works. The President issues the emergency authorization, but the Governor must ask for specific things (like boots on the ground, relief supplies, permission to use airports, etc). Blanco asked for practically nothing in her Stafford Act memo, so FEMA and other agencies had no authority to enter Louisiana. In most cases they waited at the border for someone to wise Blanco up. Which was not until Thursday of that week, meanwhile the press is having a field day telling us that Bush was doing nothing (legally he couldn’t). No “journalist” explained or even mentioned the Stafford Act.
I don't believe this is correct. FEMA and Homeland Security had authorization to enter LA and provide all available assistance once requested by the state and approved by the president. This happened prior to landfall and one specific step was FEMA selecting the Superdome as an evacuation center.

I vaguely recall some delays in allowing non-LA National Guard troops to deploy, but those are separate from the lackluster FEMA response.
dawheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldtheCat View Post
Just a thought, our other big troll tried that concept, that "unless you refute what I say right away, you are admitting it's true".

It didn't work out to well for him, it isn't working for you, and it certainly isn't true.

People know, they just don't want to bother wasting time replying to a admitted troll.
I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over, if that's your decision.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
GarfieldtheCat
Diamond Member

Quote:
I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over, if that's your decision.
Dress warmly then. No reason to feed the troll.
GarfieldtheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
piasabird
Lifer

What the good is FEMA if all you have is the power nocked out from a storm? Linemen fix electricity, not FEMA! One year I had 2 occurrences of the power being out for about 10 days to two weeks. Never saw FEMA or the Red Cross? No one even cared if I was dead or alive. All I can say is tough it out. Buy a generator or something.

We had an ice storm one year and every single pole mounted generator was destroyed. We also had a bad thunderstorm the same year and limbs and trees fell on all the power lines. Whatever can go wrong, will.

Mormons teach their member to store extra water and food for emergencies. Helps to have a propane stove also. Even a sterno stove will work. Hurrican lamps and candles are nice also. A flash light might last 1 or 2 nights if you conserve the batteries. They also make those wind up, hand-generated, LED LIGHTS. Even a couple boxes of cereal and some canned Spam can taste pretty good if you get hungry. Canned food lasts a long time like canned fruit, Tuna, Spaghetti and canned sauce, snack bars, crackers, peanut butter.

Last edited by piasabird; 11-03-2012 at 11:02 PM.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
Darwin333
Lifer

Quote:
Actually, he is partially right. Blanco would not sign the document that would allow the President to use the .mil and not be in violation of the posse comitatus act. He even drafted up the paper and sent it to her to sign and she refused for days purely for political reasons. Once she finally did sign it the situation on the ground improved very rapidly.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
a777pilot
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldtheCat View Post
Dress warmly then. No reason to feed the troll.
I would think you would remember that line. Maybe you are not as old as I am.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
Darwin333
Lifer

Quote:

FEMA did blow chunks, no denying that but the initial lawlessness could have been severely lessened had Blanco agreed to Federalize the response as she was requested to do by Bush many many times. She didn't want to "lose control", I was in NOLA at the time.... control had been lost for a long time

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote