· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
TheDarkKnight

Default N00b question about SSDs

I just purchased this Samsung drive from NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147163
which is the Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB.

First simple question. This drive I bought is just bare drive and has no desktop mounting kit. I don't care about the side rails. I can hook up the SATA cables and let it hang or just sit in the case. But does it require a special internal adapter card of any kind?

Second question. I am assuming the Samsung 830 series SSDs have no TRIM support, is that right? Now, I see the series 840 coming out and it mentions TRIM support. I read on one page that without TRIM support that the SSD will start to slow down. When this happens will it be slower than a regular mechanical hard disk drive or will it still be tons faster than a mechanical hard disk?

I waited this long to buy my first SSD and now I am wondering how much of a difference TRIM support would make in terms of performance and speed.

If anyone can post a link to a review showing the difference in speed and performance for SSDs with/without TRIM support that would be great.

Thanks
TheDarkKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
kleinkinstein
Banned

What is the make/model of your case? You may just be able to slide and fasten it right into a 3.5" drive bay. You have TRIM, all 830's do. Download and install Magician 3.2.
kleinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
TheDarkKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinkinstein View Post
What is the make/model of your case? You may just be able to slide and fasten it right into a 3.5" drive bay. You have TRIM, all 830's do. Download and install Magician 3.2.
Thanks for the good news.

To hear that 830 series have TRIM support is awesome. The NewEgg page made no mention of it as the NewEgg 840 series pages do. I assumed it was new in the 840 series.

I have a CoolerMaster HAF 912 case. No, I am not an overclocker. But the HAF 912 is the coolest looking case I could find so I bought it for the looks alone.

Edit: Is the Magician software what gives the 830 series it's TRIM support? Is there a difference in how the TRIM support is implemented in the 830 versus the 840 series? That is software versus hardware?

Edit #2: I have been researching this TRIM support and one person on another forum thread says that TRIM support is not really a feature of an SSD as much as it a feature of the Windows 7 operating system. So, I am guessing that the reason the Samsung 830 series is able to offer TRIM support is because there is no hardware implementation of TRIM support. The Samsung 830 series probably got it's TRIM support later than the launch itself via firmware updates.

Last edited by TheDarkKnight; 11-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.
TheDarkKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
aviator78

Every (recent) SSD has GarbageCollection, it is something similar to TRIM but the SSD features it by itself. TRIM is OS specific. Windows 7 supports it. You don't have to worry about that. And you do not need the Magician software under compulsion. But for Firmware upgrade or some other features, you can use it.
aviator78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Coup27
Golden Member

I'm going to keep this short because I don't know where you're getting your information from but I would stop going there. You need to spend more time reading this forum or the main site.

1. As long as the motherboard has SATA ports then you do not need any other connector or adapter. A native SATA 6Gbps port is optimal.

2. The Samsung 830 has TRIM and any SSD from about 2009 onwards has TRIM support.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Cerb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
I just purchased this Samsung drive from NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147163
which is the Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB.

First simple question. This drive I bought is just bare drive and has no desktop mounting kit. I don't care about the side rails. I can hook up the SATA cables and let it hang or just sit in the case. But does it require a special internal adapter card of any kind?
You could also screw it in with a single screw. It's light enough that will be plenty secure. Not exactly what you want to show off with build pics, or do as a professional, but it's not going to hurt it.
Cerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Bman123
Platinum Member

Slap a piece of double sided tape on that sucker and put it anywhere.
Bman123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
wpcoe

I've seen plenty of pics of builds where they velcro the SSD, as well.

Unless you are building a portable computer, like for LAN parties, the SSD is easy to secure for stationary use.
wpcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
onething

The 912 case has a bracket to mount 2 SSDs. Although being in front of the PSU is a poor design choice. Regardless, I've used tape, like boxing tape, and taped it to an empty area, like the side of the 5.25 drive bays.
onething is offline   Reply With Quote