Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > Video Cards and Graphics

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #176
blastingcap
Diamond Member
 
blastingcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
Imho,

Indeed on game-play! However, personally don't see a dramatic or substantial shit in improvements with game-play based on this may systematically lock a title to one vendor - hence, why many of the effects are improvements, subjectively with fidelity.

This may take a complete effort by the industry itself on dramatic shits on game-play but how does one start the ball rolling? Begin? In a competitive landscape? Where these resources may be cost immense?
Your post is a case where spellcheck wouldn't help, but a read through might...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
We had to suffer polygonal boobs for a decade because of selfish corporate reasons.
Main: 3570K + R9 290 + 16GB 1866 + AsRock Extreme4 Z77 + Eyefinity 5760x1080 eIPS
blastingcap is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #177
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,747
Default

Indeed! Sorry!
SirPauly is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #178
Haserath
Senior Member
 
Haserath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingcap View Post
Your post is a case where spellcheck wouldn't help, but a read through might...
I think that wording fits well.
Haserath is online now  
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #179
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,747
Default

The irony is there, for some that don't care for PhysX!
SirPauly is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #180
Siberian
Senior Member
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaxi83 View Post
You're trying really hard to play damage control. Try again when Nvidia is back in the lead
The 690 is still the fastest video card. So they have the performance lead. They have the sales lead.
Siberian is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #181
Final8ty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
The 690 is still the fastest video card. So they have the performance lead. They have the sales lead.
The HIS 7970 X2 is the fastest video card, you must of missed the review.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2279060
__________________
AMD Piledriver FX-8350, 4.8Ghz
NEC's 2560x1600 2x1600x1200 PLP 4960x1600
2x5970 Sapphire Toxic 4GB @ 945/1225 Quadfire
3xMSI HD 7950 OC BE @1065/1465 stock volts.
32GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200 PSU

Last edited by Final8ty; 11-02-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Final8ty is online now  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #182
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
The HIS 7970 X2 is the fastest video card, you must of missed the review.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2279060
The software adaptive vsync for crossfire was pretty impressive. Too bad the translation was so bad that I couldn't really understand what was being said about it. The graphs looked good though. I believe it was part of Radeon Pro? I would imagine something similar could be easily adapted to Nvidia GPU's which looks like it would be great news for dual card users for both brands.

I'm very sensitive to framerates and that's the main reason why I have never tried SLi/Xfire because I'm almost positive I would see the micro stutter.
VulgarDisplay is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #183
DiogoDX
Senior Member
 
DiogoDX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
The software adaptive vsync for crossfire was pretty impressive. Too bad the translation was so bad that I couldn't really understand what was being said about it. The graphs looked good though. I believe it was part of Radeon Pro? I would imagine something similar could be easily adapted to Nvidia GPU's which looks like it would be great news for dual card users for both brands.

I'm very sensitive to framerates and that's the main reason why I have never tried SLi/Xfire because I'm almost positive I would see the micro stutter.
Yes. It's a feature of Radeonpro calling DFC.

Quote:
- New: Dynamic Framerate Control (DFC) support. This feature acts like a frame rate limiter with smoothness control, just set a frame rate target and RadeonPro will try to keep it as close as possible while maintaining frame rendering times close to each other to avoid stuttering.
Combining this with vsync you have the smoothness of frame metering with the absence of tearing. Seems like a great tool for crossfire users (non crossfire users can also be benefited by these functions).
DiogoDX is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #184
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
Nvidia GPU's are attractive enough without them having to lower prices. A driver update or two down the road and things will be back where they were, however small a difference that might be. And you know who else thinks 1 or 2 PHysX titles per year are ridiculous? Just ask all those using Hybrid PhysX right now. They think it's worthless too. But they are second guessing their decisions because by using two cards, defeats the power consumption arguments they used previously. Better off just using one card to do it all and only use a second card if you really need it.
By the way, Borderlands 2 ALONE is worth the price of PhsyX admission. But it isn't alone.
So how's performance in Borderlands 2 with High Phsyx on a single card? Just curious.
VulgarDisplay is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #185
Jaydip
Diamond Member
 
Jaydip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
The HIS 7970 X2 is the fastest video card, you must of missed the review.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2279060
HIS 7970 X2 is not from AMD is it?going by your logic 6990 was not the fastest either it was Asus Mars 590.
__________________
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit || i7 4770K @ 4.2 with CM V6-GT || MSI Z87 GD 65||MSI Gaming N780 TF 3GD5/OC GeForce GTX 780|| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 || WD Cavier Black 1TB FAEX X2|| HAF-X || Corsair TX750 V2 ||AL MX 5021E || DELL U2713HM||SideWinder X4||Razer DA
Jaydip is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #186
Jaydip
Diamond Member
 
Jaydip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
So how's performance in Borderlands 2 with High Phsyx on a single card? Just curious.
Its fine
__________________
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit || i7 4770K @ 4.2 with CM V6-GT || MSI Z87 GD 65||MSI Gaming N780 TF 3GD5/OC GeForce GTX 780|| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 || WD Cavier Black 1TB FAEX X2|| HAF-X || Corsair TX750 V2 ||AL MX 5021E || DELL U2713HM||SideWinder X4||Razer DA
Jaydip is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #187
wand3r3r
Platinum Member
 
wand3r3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
So how's performance in Borderlands 2 with High Phsyx on a single card? Just curious.
Ok, with some drops in single player on the best NV card(s), expect massive drops in heavy fights in multiplayer (20 fps etc. gtx 690, gtx 670 @1250MHz so faster then a 680).
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2273862
wand3r3r is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #188
Final8ty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydip View Post
HIS 7970 X2 is not from AMD is it?going by your logic 6990 was not the fastest either it was Asus Mars 590.
Yeah when you look at pedantically like that, but the 690 was priced as if is was a special edition custom job, as far im considered and most others seeing as your the first to moan about it, when some says the fastest card available then it does not specifically mean non custom jobs hence the name of the article.
On all the other sites that i have seen the article posted not one pep from people saying its not the fastest because it not from AMD them self.
__________________
AMD Piledriver FX-8350, 4.8Ghz
NEC's 2560x1600 2x1600x1200 PLP 4960x1600
2x5970 Sapphire Toxic 4GB @ 945/1225 Quadfire
3xMSI HD 7950 OC BE @1065/1465 stock volts.
32GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200 PSU

Last edited by Final8ty; 11-03-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Final8ty is online now  
Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #189
Jaydip
Diamond Member
 
Jaydip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,284
Default

You didn't answer my question fine.Also the test set was abysmal at best.
__________________
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit || i7 4770K @ 4.2 with CM V6-GT || MSI Z87 GD 65||MSI Gaming N780 TF 3GD5/OC GeForce GTX 780|| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 || WD Cavier Black 1TB FAEX X2|| HAF-X || Corsair TX750 V2 ||AL MX 5021E || DELL U2713HM||SideWinder X4||Razer DA
Jaydip is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #190
Final8ty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydip View Post
You didn't answer my question fine.Also the test set was abysmal at best.
I did because i didn't say the Asus Mars 590 was not the fastest because you presumed that i would claim the 6990 to be.
It does not matter what you think of the test, it does not change the facts.
__________________
AMD Piledriver FX-8350, 4.8Ghz
NEC's 2560x1600 2x1600x1200 PLP 4960x1600
2x5970 Sapphire Toxic 4GB @ 945/1225 Quadfire
3xMSI HD 7950 OC BE @1065/1465 stock volts.
32GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200 PSU

Last edited by Final8ty; 11-03-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Final8ty is online now  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #191
Jaydip
Diamond Member
 
Jaydip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,284
Default

Going by your point until recently 680 lightning was the fastest card available.But everybody said 7970Ghz ed was the fastest funny.
__________________
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit || i7 4770K @ 4.2 with CM V6-GT || MSI Z87 GD 65||MSI Gaming N780 TF 3GD5/OC GeForce GTX 780|| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 || WD Cavier Black 1TB FAEX X2|| HAF-X || Corsair TX750 V2 ||AL MX 5021E || DELL U2713HM||SideWinder X4||Razer DA
Jaydip is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #192
Final8ty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydip View Post
Going by your point until recently 680 lightning was the fastest card available.But everybody said 7970Ghz ed was the fastest funny.
It depends on the specifics of the question and the context.
The fastest card available between the 2 brands is the fastest card available, custom or not.
__________________
AMD Piledriver FX-8350, 4.8Ghz
NEC's 2560x1600 2x1600x1200 PLP 4960x1600
2x5970 Sapphire Toxic 4GB @ 945/1225 Quadfire
3xMSI HD 7950 OC BE @1065/1465 stock volts.
32GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200 PSU
Final8ty is online now  
Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #193
Jaydip
Diamond Member
 
Jaydip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,284
Default

Quote:
It depends on the specifics of the question and the context.The fastest card available between the 2 brands is the fastest card available, custom or not.
Exactly the "context".So depending on games 690 can still be considered the fastest and the "ms" issue is much bearable compared to "amd" alternatives.
__________________
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit || i7 4770K @ 4.2 with CM V6-GT || MSI Z87 GD 65||MSI Gaming N780 TF 3GD5/OC GeForce GTX 780|| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 || WD Cavier Black 1TB FAEX X2|| HAF-X || Corsair TX750 V2 ||AL MX 5021E || DELL U2713HM||SideWinder X4||Razer DA
Jaydip is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #194
Final8ty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydip View Post
Exactly the "context".So depending on games 690 can still be considered the fastest
If some asked which is the fastest standard non custom cooler/PCB gfx card from each brand then yes seeing as it wins by default because a non custom dual GPU 7xxx does not exist from AMD.
Someone who is looking to spend such money on a dual GPU would not get hungup on such a insignificant technicality, im not buying it because it has not got designed by AMD stamped on the PCB.
__________________
AMD Piledriver FX-8350, 4.8Ghz
NEC's 2560x1600 2x1600x1200 PLP 4960x1600
2x5970 Sapphire Toxic 4GB @ 945/1225 Quadfire
3xMSI HD 7950 OC BE @1065/1465 stock volts.
32GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200 PSU

Last edited by Final8ty; 11-03-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Final8ty is online now  
Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #195
Siberian
Senior Member
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
The HIS 7970 X2 is the fastest video card, you must of missed the review.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2279060
Could not find this card on Newegg.
Siberian is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #196
SirPauly
Diamond Member
 
SirPauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
The software adaptive vsync for crossfire was pretty impressive. Too bad the translation was so bad that I couldn't really understand what was being said about it. The graphs looked good though. I believe it was part of Radeon Pro? I would imagine something similar could be easily adapted to Nvidia GPU's which looks like it would be great news for dual card users for both brands.

I'm very sensitive to framerates and that's the main reason why I have never tried SLi/Xfire because I'm almost positive I would see the micro stutter.
nVidia has frame limiters, flexibility with V-sync, software and hardware frame rate metering.

Last edited by SirPauly; 11-03-2012 at 10:07 AM.
SirPauly is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #197
Final8ty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Could not find this card on Newegg.
Stop being silly, your constant hair-splitting nitpicking does not change anything except making things tiresome, even the Devil 13 is beating the 690 now.
And more on the way.
http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2012/p...ard-announced/

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/...y-VTX3D-2.jpg/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
I just bought four;



Overclockers was taking too long deciding whether to maybe possibly make some watercooled 7990s with HIS, so we just got some custom copper/nickel heatsinks made up for the Powercolors. Currently testing with the original air coolers, will be mounting the waterblocks for 8-GPU overclocked testing next week;


Host machine has dual overclocked 8-core Xeons, 128 GB DDR3-1600, quad SSDs (Kingston MAX-IOPS in RAID0), 3 x 4 TB HDDs in RAID5 for bulk storage, dual 10 Gigabit ethernet, touch-screen system management panel on the front, dual 1200W PSUs, dual pumps, quad triple-fan rads etc.

Initial testing has confirmed that AMD has finally fixed the 'can't disable Crossfire on dual-GPU cards' bug that rendered the 5970 and 6990 paperweights for OpenCL purposes. Currently seeing 90%+ scaling on OpenCL apps over two GPUs, will be getting 8-way scaling numbers next week.




http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...8#post22937758
__________________
AMD Piledriver FX-8350, 4.8Ghz
NEC's 2560x1600 2x1600x1200 PLP 4960x1600
2x5970 Sapphire Toxic 4GB @ 945/1225 Quadfire
3xMSI HD 7950 OC BE @1065/1465 stock volts.
32GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200 PSU

Last edited by Final8ty; 11-03-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Final8ty is online now  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #198
cmdrdredd
Lifer
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 19,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
Stop being silly, your constant hair-splitting nitpicking does not change anything except making things tiresome, even the Devil 13 is beating the 690 now.
And more on the way.


oh well... http://translate.google.com/translat...-241127-8.html

Micro stutter STILL sucks on AMD crossfire solutions so even with higher FPS the game does not feel as smooth.
__________________
Asus Maximus V Gene | 3570k @ 4.5 | 8GB Samsung 30nm @ 2133 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI @ 1230/6765
2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD | WD 300GB Velociraptor | Lite-On HBS212 BD-R | Corsair HX1000 PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 | Yamakasi Catleap Q270 | Windows 8.1 Pro
cmdrdredd is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #199
Keysplayr
Elite Member
 
Keysplayr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 19,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
oh well... http://translate.google.com/translat...-241127-8.html

Micro stutter STILL sucks on AMD crossfire solutions so even with higher FPS the game does not feel as smooth.
Oh no you di-int.
Seriously though, I'm glad Nvidia is focusing of better quality of gameplay in multi GPU scenarios. Microstuttering has been a huge talking point over the years.
__________________
Member of Nvidia Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 Titan Black SLI
Keysplayr is offline  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #200
wand3r3r
Platinum Member
 
wand3r3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
oh well... http://translate.google.com/translat...-241127-8.html

Micro stutter STILL sucks on AMD crossfire solutions so even with higher FPS the game does not feel as smooth.
If you read a couple pages further the Radeon Pro tool seems to reduce that.

http://translate.google.com/translat...-241127-8.html

Regardless, isn't this enough of the OT stuff? I have a feeling most of the people whining about the 690 and 7990 don't have them and never will. It's a topic for another thread though.
wand3r3r is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.