· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
angminas
Platinum Member

Default Ma vidja cawrd done broked.

Stock EVGA 8800GS. Had it a bit over 4 years. Can't figure out the fan speed. I'm running fully patched Windows XP with the latest Nvidia video drivers, and my system is almost certainly clean of malware. I don't know if this is hardware, software, ID-10-T, or a combo meal. I'm sure I can figure something out eventually, but hopefully there's something simple I'm overlooking.

Lightning slipped past my alleged surge protector and nuked my main HD, so I busted out a backup which hadn't been used in about 3 years. I updated my video drivers, and it started putting the fan at 100% at startup. I have to go into Nvidia control panel and put the fan on automatic every time I boot up. I try creating a profile which should load on boot, but that doesn't change anything. The change doesn't save, and I can't figure out why. The mouseover tooltips for automatic and manual fan speed settings are reversed, so I figure it's a bug.

So I update again, hoping the new drivers will fix it, but it's the same. I try ATITool, Speedfan, Ntune, MSI Afterburner. The card is reporting the temp as 0, so setting it to automatic turns down the volume but doesn't really fix the problem...the program thinks the card is cool, and I'm concerned about overheating. Every time I try to change the fan speed manually, it resets. I move the slider and hit apply, and it goes back to 0. I can have it at earth-shattering, eardrum-mangling, 100% or (apparently) 0%. Cannot figure out how to do anything in between. Cannot figure out any way to not have it go to 100% on boot. Cannot figure out why the card doesn't overheat in 3D if the fan is at 0%.

Sometimes the fan spins up while I'm watching online videos. It goes to 100% for about a second and then silent. I haven't run exhaustive scientific tests to figure out exactly which setting on which program could be causing this, but none of the fan apps are set to run at startup. During an hour of watching an HD movie on Netflix, the fan did nothing, and the video was perfect. Shrug.

Before this, I've never had any problems whatsoever. I've never seen any artifacts until one instance the other day, when I left the ATITool artifact scan running for about 45 seconds to be sure whether the fan would ramp up when the temp climbed (remember, I had no report of the actual temp). It didn't, I started seeing errors, I shut it down in less than two seconds. Since I'd had no problems when I was using my main HD, I hadn't been paying close attention, and I don't know how long this has been going on, but I'd been playing 3D games like DoW2 and Crysis for years with no issues. I'm just concerned about frying the card, since I don't have the shinies for any new hardware right this second, and 100% is really intolerable.

Thanks!
When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Proverbs 16:7)
angminas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
denis280
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angminas View Post
Lightning slipped past my alleged surge protector and nuked my main HD, so I busted out a backup which hadn't been used in about 3 years. I updated my video drivers,
Lightning probably did more damage?
denis280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
angminas
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis280 View Post
Lightning probably did more damage?
Very possible, but I hope to find a solution cheaper than buying a new card. This may be a fool's whimsy, but I am a fool, and whimsy is both my middle and, indeed, first name.
When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Proverbs 16:7)
angminas is offline   Reply With Quote