· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
lokiju
Lifer

Default What are the "best" (affordable) Universal Remotes these days? Is Harmony still king?

TLDR Version:
  • Old Harmony not working 100%, need replacement.
  • Don't want touchscreen remote
  • Have 3 functions (macros) currently, would like the option to do 4
  • Would like one that can control bluetooth devices if possible
  • Open to other brands

Long version:

I've been using this Logitech Harmony 680 remote for 7 or 8 years now.

It's done fine and I can't complain but it's starting to fail on a regular basis lately.

It has weird quirks like sometimes a button will remain engaged even though it's not physically stuck down. Happens a lot with volume and on a number of occasions it's cased my receiver to get cranked up to ear shattering levels.

Also the backlight has died out many years ago and I find it annoying when the lights are off and I'm trying to find a button I don't normally use.

So I think I've probably gotten all I could of asked for out of this remote and am now wondering, do I just default to finding another Harmony or are there now better bang for the buck options?

I'm not a fan of touch screen remotes. I don't want to have to look down or turn a light on to see what I'm hitting. I much prefer to physically feel the buttons I want to use and go off memory.

I saw a deal over at FatWallet.com that says the Harmony One is currently $106 at Costco. Looks like it's usually a full retail price of $200 though can be had for $150 easily online.

This is the prior model. There's now some new model out that looks like a fancy cordless home phone that's more touch screen focused, but it's to much money for my liking and doesn't have the 30 second skip buttons from what it looks like, which is a must for me since I use it all the time with my DVR.

Then again, I don't care about the LCD screen and only use my current Harmony to control 3 Functions/Modes which is
1 - PS3
  • Turn TV on (if off) set to proper HDMI input
  • Turn receiver on (if off) set to proper digital input.

2 - TV/DVR
  • Turn TV on (if off) set to proper HDMI input
  • Turn Receiver on (if off) set to proper digital input.
  • Turn DVR on.

3 - Roku
  • Turn TV on (if off) set to proper HDMI input.
  • Turn Receiver on (if off) set to proper digital input.

That's it and I don't see my need growing for more than maybe one additional function in the future (if that).

So that said, is something like the super cheap Logitech Harmony 300.

I would actually love it if Logitech had a Harmony remote that also controlled via Bluetooth so I could control my PS3 when in use for Blurays and streaming services without switching over to another physical remote.

Are there any alternatives to the Logitech Harmony brand/line that anyone is aware of that would meet my wants and needs better?
PSN: l0k1ju
Come play some MW3! Just note ATOT in invite so I don't ignore.
lokiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
JackBurton
Lifer

I was going to suggest iRule, which is a great app that allows you to control just about anything with an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or Android base device. That includes A/V equipment, lights, thermostat and even your PS3 (requires an adapter). But then I saw you didn't want a touchscreen. Too bad though, it's a MUCH better solution than a crappy Harmony remote.

And no, Harmony was never king. The kings were companies like URC, AMX or Crestron. Harmony was just the Bose of universal remotes.

Last edited by JackBurton; 11-02-2012 at 08:56 AM.
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
purbeast0
Lifer

i saw Roomie ( http://www.roomieremote.com/ ) in person when i went to demo someone's projector, and it was running on an ipad.

i have to say that thing is fucking awesome. he was dimming his lights with it, pushing the "play xbox360" button on it and it set it all up, etc., and it just has a really smooth interface. it was cool how when he changed the volume manually on his receiver, you see the instant feedback on the ipad with the volume dialer changing on ther as well.

chances are when i get my HT set up i am going to be purchasing an ipad (possibly a mini) and running roomie on that to control everything.
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

I am a big fan of my Harmony One. I have both an old 695 and a 600 and the One is much nicer. To get a Harmony to play ball with a PS3 you need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo.../dp/B00267S7XW
poofyhairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
alkemyst
No Lifer

Affordable is relative. I'd only go back to Harmony One on the clearance sales they have now. It's not very robust compared to the Universal Remote Control brand just more consumer-friendly. Mine fell ~18" and broke.

You can't help those that don't want to be saved.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
boomhower
Diamond Member

I love my Harmony One. It's a little rough around the edges since the dog got ahold of it but it still works great. Even the wife likes it.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Auric
Diamond Member

What is the telly input being switched for? In any case, what's wrong with the AVR remote? It should easily handle such a simple setup.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
queequeg99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
Affordable is relative. I'd only go back to Harmony One on the clearance sales they have now. It's not very robust compared to the Universal Remote Control brand just more consumer-friendly. Mine fell ~18" and broke.
I had the same problem with mine (and it fell on carpet). The Costco near me is selling the One for $110, which is an awesome price.
queequeg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

Loliju (or anyone for that matter): if you contact harmony support with an out of warranty claim they'll give you a 50% off coupon for their online store. Good luck!
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
lokiju
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazaam View Post
Loliju (or anyone for that matter): if you contact harmony support with an out of warranty claim they'll give you a 50% off coupon for their online store. Good luck!
Worth trying. Thanks!
PSN: l0k1ju
Come play some MW3! Just note ATOT in invite so I don't ignore.
lokiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokiju View Post
Worth trying. Thanks!
Np, but if it works, in the future you owe me. When the time comes I shall call upon you.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
This was the deal I was trying to remember earlier. You can get a replacement H1 for about $100. My LCD got jacked up...it still works and the repair is about $80 once shipping and everything is done. Plus you are without a remote for at least a week.

The funny thing though is I had forgotten I had my H1 replaced under warranty day one for a loose piece of plastic on the front bezel. Logitech just overnighted me a new one and deactivated the old one. I am going to transfer the LCD from it to my broken one.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
This was the deal I was trying to remember earlier. You can get a replacement H1 for about $100. My LCD got jacked up...it still works and the repair is about $80 once shipping and everything is done. Plus you are without a remote for at least a week.

The funny thing though is I had forgotten I had my H1 replaced under warranty day one for a loose piece of plastic on the front bezel. Logitech just overnighted me a new one and deactivated the old one. I am going to transfer the LCD from it to my broken one.
I'd be interested to see it when you're done! They gave me a new one for some minor annoyance I had too. Good warranty service when it's active.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
I'd be interested to see it when you're done! They gave me a new one for some minor annoyance I had too. Good warranty service when it's active.
I didn't realize there was soldering / desoldering involved. While I can do that work, I don't have a good station at my home to use. I have a quote request into Quin at HarmonyRR. He replied VERY FAST and he is without power still due to the storms. He needs both PIDs so he can quote it accurately and ensure my two units are compatible.