Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
a777pilot
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,108
Default Regulations and Sandy

Today the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NY said that gas was and will be getting into NYC harbor rapidly because regulations are being waived to allow for this.

WHAT?

I thought all these regulations were there to improve business and to ensure our safety. So then they are really there just to add roadblocks to commerce? Interesting.
__________________
....................dot........................
a777pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Blackjack200
Diamond Member
 
Blackjack200's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,606
Default

WHAT?

I thought regulation was there to improve my pooping!
Blackjack200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
bfdd
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,315
Default

Of course they can wave regulations whenever they feel like, they play by different rules than we do. No one though will be willing to admit that such things cause unforeseen fluctuations and damage to the market though. I mean to do so would be to acknowledge that Government truly shouldn't be meddling in everything.
bfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
dmcowen674
No Lifer
 
dmcowen674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 54,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
Today the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NY said that gas was and will be getting into NYC harbor rapidly because regulations are being waived to allow for this.

WHAT?

I thought all these regulations were there to improve business and to ensure our safety. So then they are really there just to add roadblocks to commerce? Interesting.
It's all about the money, it always is

11-2-2012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...76a_story.html

Cuomo says there’s ‘no reason to panic’ over gas shortages, threatens utilities’ franchises



New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he’s signed an executive order waiving a requirement that fuel tankers register and pay tax before unloading

The governor says there’s “no reason to panic” about gas shortages. He said Friday that tankers are now making “great progress” delivering fuel and that his order will help get gasoline to consumers faster. He also says terminals that suffered damage in Superstorm Sandy are coming back online.

But he also is warning utilities that they must devote full personnel and equipment to power restoration. Cuomo says utilities operate only with the state’s permission and he will hold them accountable.
dmcowen674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
a777pilot
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack200 View Post
WHAT?

I thought regulation was there to improve my pooping!
That begs the question: Does your pooping need improving?
__________________
....................dot........................
a777pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer
 
DrPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 44,538
Default

Quote:
But he also is warning utilities that they must devote full personnel and equipment to power restoration. Cuomo says utilities operate only with the state’s permission and he will hold them accountable.
The utilities have brought in a ridiculous number of personnel who aren't directly employed by them. Cuomo is playing politics with that statement.
__________________
Fainting Goats
DrPizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
IronWing
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 34,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
Today the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NY said that gas was and will be getting into NYC harbor rapidly because regulations are being waived to allow for this.

WHAT?

I thought all these regulations were there to improve business and to ensure our safety. So then they are really there just to add roadblocks to commerce? Interesting.
You are such a dumbass. Politicians respond intelligently to an emergency situation and this is what you waste bandwidth posting? Loser.
IronWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
DominionSeraph
Diamond Member
 
DominionSeraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Equestria
Posts: 8,247
Default

LOL @ conservatards.
__________________
Danse De Raven

"P&N: Not Quite as Bad as Stormfront"
DominionSeraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Zorba
Diamond Member
 
Zorba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
Today the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NY said that gas was and will be getting into NYC harbor rapidly because regulations are being waived to allow for this.

WHAT?

I thought all these regulations were there to improve business and to ensure our safety. So then they are really there just to add roadblocks to commerce? Interesting.
In terms you may understand: It is kind of like when the FAA issues and immediately adopted rule instead of following the normal AD process. The normal AD/NPRM process is there for good reason, but it doesn't always make the most sense.
__________________
"Listen to Zorba. He knows what he's talking about." - TheBoyBlunder
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Juror No. 8
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post

I thought all these regulations were there to improve business and to ensure our safety. So then they are really there just to add roadblocks to commerce? Interesting.
Regulations tend to have only two primary purposes. In order of importance:

1. To prevent any person, business, corporation or unified collection of any of the previous three from ever acquiring enough wealth, influence, or power to effectively challenge the status quo of the current ruling oligarchy (i.e., prevent competition).

2. To serve as a form of corporate welfare (i.e., subsidy).

Every other reason we are given under the sun for all these regulations is just a cover story for the above two reasons.
Juror No. 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
a777pilot
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWing View Post
You are such a dumbass. Politicians respond intelligently to an emergency situation and this is what you waste bandwidth posting? Loser.
You betcha.
__________________
....................dot........................
a777pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
a777pilot
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juror No. 8 View Post
Regulations tend to have only two primary purposes. In order of importance:

1. To prevent any person, business, corporation or unified collection of any of the previous three from ever acquiring enough wealth, influence, or power to effectively challenge the status quo of the current ruling oligarchy (i.e., prevent competition).

2. To serve as a form of corporate welfare (i.e., subsidy).

Every other reason we are given under the sun for all these regulations is just a cover story for the above two reasons.

I agree.

And well stated.
__________________
....................dot........................
a777pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
bradley
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
The utilities have brought in a ridiculous number of personnel who aren't directly employed by them. Cuomo is playing politics with that statement.
I agree. Cuomo's unnecessary threats made my opinion of Christie go up enormously.

LIPA has thousands of skilled workers arriving from ten different states. Right now they have 7k supporting the restoration including over 3k high voltage and tree trimming crews. I believe their normal workforce is closer to 2K.

They restored service to the Ronkonkoma and Babylon LIRR lines and are working on Port Washington now. They have also restored power to 37 of 50 substations that were without power. To restore 525K customers (in a disaster of this size/scope) in a matter of four days is also miraculous.

Last edited by bradley; 11-02-2012 at 09:44 PM.
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
a777pilot
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
In terms you may understand: It is kind of like when the FAA issues and immediately adopted rule instead of following the normal AD process. The normal AD/NPRM process is there for good reason, but it doesn't always make the most sense.
You are talking about a process. I am talking about the results.
__________________
....................dot........................
a777pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.