· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
darkxshade
Lifer

Default Blood donors, how much does it affect workout?

How long does it take to recover from? I've always wanted to donate but one of the main reasons... well really the only reason I haven't is because I'm not sure how it will affect my lifting which I do 3x/week while I also run 2-3x/week. I have this irrational fear that I'll pass out half way through a lift and get crushed to death cuz a pint was extracted from me.

So how does one plan around a blood drive?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
JimKiler
Golden Member

They say not to lift the day of the donation, and the only reason is because you could have blood come out of the spot they took from. I experienced this once and it was only a little blood afterwords. But I am not a heavy lifter. If you do aerobics you will be fine. Sign up and ask the people they will let you know. You can always back out of the donation.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
highland145
Lifer

When I was younger, 30ish, it didn't affect me at all. Give that morning and workout that night. After I hit 40, I can tell a difference in endurance.

Work out in the morning (Saturdays) and give after lunch. Works for me.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
MaxPayne63

If you're lifting 3x a week then just give on an off day.

Running you should be fine the same day. I haven't given blood in a while but when I did I didn't have any trouble running a few hours later. My assumption, based on no medical training or special knowledge, is that the guidelines given are mainly to avoid liability.
MaxPayne63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
marmasatt
Diamond Member

It doesn't affect it that much. I give every 2 months .... and have for 10 yrs. I can tell you that it affects endurance stuff more than lifting. And as someone else mentioned, it definitely affects you more as you get older. No lie, I used to go running right after I donated. Also, there is a nice option now - donate platelets. It is teh best part of the blood. It takes longer but a) it's like 5x more valuable than blood because they are taking exactly what they need out of you so it is much more useful and b) they literally put fluids and the rest of the stuff (plasma?) back in you so you don't fell dehydrated or anything.

Cheap Glucosamine anyone?
marmasatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
ShreddedWheat

I have hemochromatosis (opposite of anemia) and used to give blood once a week. Over time it kicked my ass but based on most laws you can't donate but once every 3 months which is the amount of time it takes your body to replace the lost red blood cells from donating. Whenever I donate every 3 months I feel better with more energy and better clarity and vision!
ShreddedWheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
IGemini
Golden Member

Donor centers recommend against strenuous exercise the day of donation. If you're a first-time donor, taking the next day off isn't a bad idea to allow your body to get used to the lower blood volume.

The first time I donated blood I did a light lifting workout beforehand...I thought I stayed hydrated well enough but my blood flow ended up stopping halfway through donation. It attracts a lot of attention for sure. I wasn't willing to let them move the needle or switch arms so it ended there. Nearly passed out a half-hour after the fact from not being used to the dehydration.

I got over it. My next donation will finish off gallon #3, and by the time I was used to the process my endurance didn't seem affected for an hour-long workout the next day.
[ Heat - WIP ]
IGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
marmasatt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGemini View Post
Donor centers recommend against strenuous exercise the day of donation. If you're a first-time donor, taking the next day off isn't a bad idea to allow your body to get used to the lower blood volume.

The first time I donated blood I did a light lifting workout beforehand...I thought I stayed hydrated well enough but my blood flow ended up stopping halfway through donation. It attracts a lot of attention for sure. I wasn't willing to let them move the needle or switch arms so it ended there. Nearly passed out a half-hour after the fact from not being used to the dehydration.

I got over it. My next donation will finish off gallon #3, and by the time I was used to the process my endurance didn't seem affected for an hour-long workout the next day.
You know what? You make a good point. Kind of stupid of me to just assume everyone reacts well. You should take it easy on your first time or two to see how your body reacts to it. I had to have "Mr Towel Head" one of the first few times I donated many years ago (that's when you start feeling light headed or dizzy and they put your feet up and then put a blanket all over you). You definitely need to drink and eat *before* you donate. That is important until you know how your body reacts.

Cheap Glucosamine anyone?
marmasatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
tedrodai

Man, I'm 29 and it usually takes me longer than a day to recover, even with drinking plenty of fluids and eating well before/after. I used to donate every 2 months, but after a while I realized my body wasn't handling it well, so I give blood 2-3 times a year nowadays. I do much better spacing it out like that, but exercise the day of is a no-go, and I generally take it easy the day after as well (light or no exercise).

I sweat more than anyone I know though...maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know.
tedrodai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Remobz
Golden Member

I am AB negative and I doubt people need my blood.
Remobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
bononos
Platinum Member

Some people passed out at the workplace RC donation. I'd be worried about getting faint and getting crushed at the squat rack.
bononos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
IGemini
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remobz View Post
I am AB negative and I doubt people need my blood.
You're likely wrong. Even considering that hospitals much prefer to do same-type whole blood transfusions when possible, AB is a universal plasma donor type.
[ Heat - WIP ]
IGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Ventanni

AB is the universally accepted blood type. It's O that can be universally donated.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Anubis
No Lifer

i give Dbl Red every 12 weeks, normally i just do nothing on that day, however running is fine, id suggest against lifting, unless its an all leg day, which should be alright

for me giving Dbl Red has little to no effect vs giving whole blood, which makes me want to take a nap
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
tedrodai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventanni View Post
AB is the universally accepted blood type. It's O that can be universally donated.
heh...I almost posted the same thing. But he's right. O- is the universal donor for red blood cells. AB is the universal donor for plasma.
tedrodai is online now   Reply With Quote