· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
achorak

Default Looking to purchase monitor for photo editing - Adivce on different models

So I am looking to buy a new monitor. My wife does a fair amount of photography for family and friends and uses photoshop to edit. While she is by no means professional, we want a decent monitor. We are looking for a sub $550 monitor. The ones I am looking at are:

Dell U2410
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=320-8277

ASUS PA248Q
http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA248Q/

HP ZR2440w
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...690.html?dnr=1

ASUS PA246Q
http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA246Q/

Any advice on which to go with? Or any experience with one of these monitors? For anyone with the 246Q, is it super thick?
achorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Childs
Diamond Member

Catleap?

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/306944
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2241326
Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
cantholdanymore

I have the PA246Q and I like it very much. Colors are great and out of the two asus, it is the only one supporting 10bit color. It is a little heavy and thick since it is not LED but I don't understand your concern, one is on the desk you wouldn't notice and doesn't take more space than a slim model. You'll read reviews about the coarse screen coating but even though it is visible on white areas, doesn't causes any issues.
Fractal Design Define Mini using 2 front fans (fractal) and one rear (noctua), Asus Maximus IV gene-z, Intel 2500k, Noctua NH-D14, G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB, Samsung 840 pro 256Gb SSD, NZXT HALE90 750w, Firepro v4900, Asus BD burner, Seagate Barracude 2T.

Switching between 4.0GHz @ 1.2V and 4.6Ghz @1.30v.

4.9 stable using 1.46
cantholdanymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
achorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantholdanymore View Post
I have the PA246Q and I like it very much. Colors are great and out of the two asus, it is the only one supporting 10bit color. It is a little heavy and thick since it is not LED but I don't understand your concern, one is on the desk you wouldn't notice and doesn't take more space than a slim model. You'll read reviews about the coarse screen coating but even though it is visible on white areas, doesn't causes any issues.

Thanks for the reply. I was just asking about the thickness because the specs online said it was 3 inches thick....that just seems pretty thick. Also, does it tend to run super hot? Some reviews I read say it does run hot. Thanks for the reply.
achorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
jolancer

for that budget I wouldn't consider anything except LED's... someone can correct me if I'm wrong i haven't researched any this year, but the only benefit non-LED monitors had was price, but your way above that. and I'd assume LED's are gettn cheaper everyday
jolancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
weovpac
Golden Member

I have a U2410 and love it. Colors are great, lots of inputs, great adjustable stand and great viewing angles.
weovpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
cantholdanymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by achorak View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was just asking about the thickness because the specs online said it was 3 inches thick....that just seems pretty thick. Also, does it tend to run super hot? Some reviews I read say it does run hot. Thanks for the reply.
It might be 3 inches at the point where the base attaches the panel, but the panel is about 1.5.
Hot? again it might be but I haven't notice it.
The main reason I picked this display is because it was the closer you can get to a NEC PA series without dropping $1K.
Fractal Design Define Mini using 2 front fans (fractal) and one rear (noctua), Asus Maximus IV gene-z, Intel 2500k, Noctua NH-D14, G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB, Samsung 840 pro 256Gb SSD, NZXT HALE90 750w, Firepro v4900, Asus BD burner, Seagate Barracude 2T.

4.9 stable using 1.46
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
C1
Golden Member

Ive owned a PA246Q for a number of months and I really like it. When you set brightness & contrast levels into the comfort zone, then energy consumption (and related heating) falls dramatically as energy consumption is in the 45 watt range (versus 70 + watts).

Last I looked, purchasers from BH Photo & Newegg are rating their experience with this model 5 stars.
C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Destiny
Platinum Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
JerryOneMillion

LED use less power, run cooler and allow the panels to be 'thinner' but LED back lights are like looking into a million little LED flashlights - So if she uses it a lot, that's a serious disadvantage as it can be more harmful to the eyes.
LED and glossy screens are are not the best choice for photographic work.

Small pixels are a very helpful to see more detail - If she is picky about the details and has decent vision she will get more out of a finer pitch.

I saw the Asus at a local photo store - It is THICK. It looks like a heavy industrial instrument. It is dramatically different from the 'thin and stylish' designer products you might want to put on the kitchen counter or dinning table. It looked very good (the panel) on first blush but - WOW, it is a little overpowering, very industrial, very 'tech' in an old school way (think Soviet Russian military grade), she would have to 'be into it' imo.

None of the top rated photographic monitors are LED or glossy. I was torn between the super fine pitch of a 27" and the size of the 30". I contemplated a refurbished NEC, but they were still 600-800 more than the 30" Dell.
The day I was placing the order for the 27", NewEgg had a one day sale on the 30" for 999.00.
I think the pixel pitch on the 27" would have made a wonderful photographic editing platform, but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to read text (brush setting and menu choices) on it unless I got very close. Pixel pitch on the 30" allows me to see much more detail (and noise) in my shots than what I had (Dell 19" fine pitch). I can easy view my shots at 300% and still see clearly.
If she is fairly serious and her photo editing space isn't in the kitchen - I'd go for the Soviet Asus model, or consider the off brand and accept that it is a gamble with a glossy LED screen.
The NEC website has refurbished at all the price points, worth a look.
Good Luck
JerryOneMillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
cantholdanymore

Soviet! LOL
Come on is not that bad

4.9 stable using 1.46
Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Blain
Lifer

Save $$ with a Dell U2412M, and use some of the savings on a Spyder4 Pro calibration tool.
Bump up to the Spyder4 Elite if you want to burn through the whole $540.

Last edited by Blain; 09-02-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Blain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ips, monitor, photo editing