· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
96Firebird
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs View Post
Out of curiosity, if its Mustang on Mustang, what was the Nova doing there after your roommates race?
That is the name of their racing organization, which includes mostly Mustangs. They rented the track out that day, but it was an invitation event so others were allowed to participate. The track also had test and tune between the MOMs runs. They also host the Mustang vs. F-body shootout each year, which I might race in this year.

BF4: JDubz313
96Firebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
Don Karnage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Any idea which turbo? Could be 400whp, could be 800whp.
That he doesn't know. From what he told me its a lower compression 351. 8.5:1 or something around that range, Victor Jr heads, Turbo cam, straight through exhaust. Said he boosts over 15 Psi. Will see if i can get more info on the turbo. If it's as nice as he says it is and i can talk him down to 10K or lower we might have a deal.
Don Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
JCH13
Diamond Member

FWIW I think that if it's a good setup that won't need much work it'd be worth considering even at asking price. It is probably worth a good bit of money to have something turnkey that won't need much (or any) wrenching to reach your power/performance goals.

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot. -QC
JCH13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #29
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Any idea which turbo? Could be 400whp, could be 800whp.
I'm guessing closer to 600-800 RWHP. Built 351 with good heads, and single turbo Hellion kits are Turbonetics or Precision units 61mm-76mm.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
jlee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
I'm guessing closer to 600-800 RWHP. Built 351 with good heads, and single turbo Hellion kits are Turbonetics or Precision units 61mm-76mm.
Only reason I say that is the first foxbody Hellion kitted car I found on Youtube was ~400whp.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #31
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXican View Post
i wonder what happened to the donor that he got both the engine and rear out of it? i guess it could be two donors.

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #32
Throckmorton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXican View Post
Why would anybody want that ugly 90s interior?
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #33
exdeath
Lifer

Because the 80s interior is even uglier!

Besides, cars like these, you don't have time to look at the interior... and the person in the other lane smack talking and starting shit at the light can't touch or see your interior either...

Last edited by exdeath; 05-29-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
Throckmorton
Lifer

The 1992 interior is nice and clean. The 94+ interior looks like it came from an organic fish spaceship from a bad SciFi channel movie

Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #35
Don Karnage
Banned

He is running the stock 61mm turbo that came with the kit at 18 psi. Sounds like a sick ass car but 10K+ for a foxbody. Is it really worth it?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #36
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Karnage View Post
He is running the stock 61mm turbo that came with the kit at 18 psi. Sounds like a sick ass car but 10K+ for a foxbody. Is it really worth it?
Well look at it this way, that Hellion kit alone is about $4k.

So $6k minus a built motor from the sounds of it, and aftermarket heads?

Always have to know what you are buying and ask yourself "can I build my own identical setup from stock for this price?". Usually the answer is "no".
Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #37
96Firebird
Diamond Member

Quote:
Always have to know what you are buying and ask yourself "can I build my own identical setup from stock for this price?". Usually the answer is "no".
But then again, you also have to ask yourself if you got a stock one right now, would you go the same route with the build. If you were already going to build a motor and turbo it, it sounds like a steal. If you just wanted a stock fox to bang around in, it may not seem like a deal.

BF4: JDubz313
96Firebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #38
JCH13
Diamond Member

^^What those two guys said.

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot. -QC
JCH13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #39
Don Karnage
Banned

Quote:
Well look at it this way, that Hellion kit alone is about $4k.

So $6k minus a built motor from the sounds of it, and aftermarket heads?

You're right. What do you think the motor puts down with that turbo and 18psi ex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Firebird View Post
But then again, you also have to ask yourself if you got a stock one right now, would you go the same route with the build. If you were already going to build a motor and turbo it, it sounds like a steal. If you just wanted a stock fox to bang around in, it may not seem like a deal.
No i wanted to mod it. No fun in having a stock car
Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #40
Doppel
Lifer

You know what? This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #41
Don Karnage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
You know what? This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan.
I need NOS
Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #42
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Karnage View Post
You're right. What do you think the motor puts down with that turbo and 18psi ex?

No i wanted to mod it. No fun in having a stock car
61mm turbo and 18 psi on a 351 with aftermarket heads, I would guess in the 600s at the tires, possibly breaking 700s depending on cam, fuel, and how aggressive the tuning is.

18 psi is quite a bit to just stuff down an old tired stock 302/351, so I know already it's a built motor, big fuel system, etc. He went Hellion over some cheap ebay kit, so it's probably got quality parts throughout.

Last edited by exdeath; 05-30-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #43
exdeath
Lifer

Foxes are like a box of chocolates.

When one rolls up on you, you don't know if its a stock 190 HP turd, or a 1500 RWHP 7 second terror.

If it's got 15 inch rear wheels with fat bald tires and a pair of big red things* hanging off the fuel tank below the rear bumper, it's best to be as still as possible and hope it goes away.

*sumped tanked with multiple Aeromotive external pumps

Last edited by exdeath; 05-30-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #44
exdeath
Lifer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=B0cjB0Sf_sk
Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #45
Throckmorton
Lifer

Quote:
Foxes are like a box of chocolates.

When one rolls up on you, you don't know if its a stock 190 HP turd, or a 1500 RWHP 7 second terror.

If it's got 15 inch rear wheels with fat bald tires and a pair of big red things* hanging off the fuel tank below the rear bumper, it's best to be as still as possible and hope it goes away.

*sumped tanked with multiple Aeromotive external pumps
190hp? They came with as low as 88hp. I think one of the V8 ones even had 140hp... A Toyota Yaris would smoke it.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #46
GLXRICK

First off it's a matter of supply and demand. Finding an un-molested 5.0 is nearly impossible. I looked for a long time before i found a 1990 GT convertible, totally stock one owner, 48K miles with all service records. It was stored in a heated garage in winter. Some people say I paid too much. I think I didn't because it was what I wanted. No headaches just put my money down and drove it away with no issues.

My advise is keep looking for a foxbody. SN95 is OK but the 94 and 95 5.0 had overheating issues. i speak form experience. Besides, if you had your heart set on a foxbody you wont be happy. Expect to pay from $8 to 11K for such a vehicle
GLXRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #47
OILFIELDTRASH
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLXRICK View Post
First off it's a matter of supply and demand. Finding an un-molested 5.0 is nearly impossible. I looked for a long time before i found a 1990 GT convertible, totally stock one owner, 48K miles with all service records. It was stored in a heated garage in winter. Some people say I paid too much. I think I didn't because it was what I wanted. No headaches just put my money down and drove it away with no issues.

My advise is keep looking for a foxbody. SN95 is OK but the 94 and 95 5.0 had overheating issues. i speak form experience. Besides, if you had your heart set on a foxbody you wont be happy. Expect to pay from $8 to 11K for such a vehicle
After having bought a foxbody and driving it and doing research I'd have to disagree somewhat. I want a car with mods on it. Especially items such as shocks/struts, upgrades sway bars, control arms, subframe connectors,etc.. Those things cost $ and last a long time. I bought a fox with a ton of goodies. Headers, full X pipe exhaust, cold air intake, poly motor mount bushings, aluminum driveshaft, and much more. Flip open a mustang parts catalog sometime. Hell I paid less for the car than what the dude spent in parts.
OILFIELDTRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #48
LTC8K6
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
190hp? They came with as low as 88hp. I think one of the V8 ones even had 140hp... A Toyota Yaris would smoke it.
Those Mustang II cars were quite slow.

A 1983 GT with the 302 4bbl 175hp could get to 60 in about 7 seconds. So a Yaris would be well to the rear.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #49
GLXRICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFIELDTRASH View Post
After having bought a foxbody and driving it and doing research I'd have to disagree somewhat. I want a car with mods on it. Especially items such as shocks/struts, upgrades sway bars, control arms, subframe connectors,etc.. Those things cost $ and last a long time. I bought a fox with a ton of goodies. Headers, full X pipe exhaust, cold air intake, poly motor mount bushings, aluminum driveshaft, and much more. Flip open a mustang parts catalog sometime. Hell I paid less for the car than what the dude spent in parts.

True..you make some good points. If that works for you then it's perfectly acceptable. However, being a bit older I wanted a fox that was totally stock because first..I don't have any idea what the previous owner did when they modded the vehicle..did they beat the crap out of it?
Second...I can do the simple things myself. It's a lot easier to troubleshoot when you start from stock IMO....Third...If/when I sell it it will be much easier to sell without mods and all the maintenance history I have (including dealership papers, window sticker, etc)..
I've had about 8 foxes in all iterations and all but 1 were all modified to some extent and they were harder to sell. The totally stock one I sold to the first buyer for my asking price.
GLXRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #50
Gillbot
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLXRICK View Post
True..you make some good points. If that works for you then it's perfectly acceptable. However, being a bit older I wanted a fox that was totally stock because first..I don't have any idea what the previous owner did when they modded the vehicle..did they beat the crap out of it?
Second...I can do the simple things myself. It's a lot easier to troubleshoot when you start from stock IMO....Third...If/when I sell it it will be much easier to sell without mods and all the maintenance history I have (including dealership papers, window sticker, etc)..
I've had about 8 foxes in all iterations and all but 1 were all modified to some extent and they were harder to sell. The totally stock one I sold to the first buyer for my asking price.
You are going to run into that no matter what though. My car is modded to crap and beat on daily. I have the stock parts too though so when I get rid of it, the car being "stock" doesn't mean it wasn't beat on.