· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
shortylickens
No Lifer

Default Finally getting a Murano.

Needs to be 2009 cuz thats second gen and still reasonably priced. Has to be above an S class cuz I need the power seats. I cant sit right in the manual seat.

Think I'm doing a poor job playing the local dealership. I cant get them to budge much from the sticker price even though they have plenty of 2009's.
One place was asking 23000 and try as I might, would not go to 21. Either the things are incredibly popular and they know they can get 23, or my negotiating skills are poor. They said they would look around and maybe find another one from auction for me.
Were they blowing smoke up my ass?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Since you want leather and power seats, why not fx35?

Do those still have the same oil consumption issues that have plagued nissan v engines for the past 10 years?
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
shortylickens
No Lifer

Not leather, JUST power seats. Its actually possible to get one and not the other in a 2009 model. Though it may be easier to get both as far as selection is concerned.

And no, no oil problems in the 2nd gen Murano. I may look into an Infinity, provided the cost is reasonable. But mostly I'm just trying to get a decent car for a good price. I'm not looking for luxury. As short as I am I NEED the power seat or I cant sit comfortably. Other than that I dont want special features.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

In that case I would guess murano is the way to go. I looked very closely at the FX35/45 in the ~2008 era but passed due to rampant oil consumption issues.

The used car market is very strong right now. If I were you, looking at ~3 year old vehicles, I would definitely try to find one private party versus through a dealer.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
SithSolo1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post

Do those still have the same oil consumption issues that have plagued nissan v engines for the past 10 years?
This issue really seems to be hit or miss. In the 7 years I've had my vq the only time it has been low on oil was when the dealership cracked the oil pan washer and there was a puddle in my parking spot.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
shortylickens
No Lifer

OK, looking at prices I dont need ANY Infinity.
And it doesnt look like the FX's have cooled seats. Thats pretty much the only feature that would make me get something other than a Murano. The nicer Maximas have them but I need the extra space of a mid sized SUV.
You'd think that feature would be more common these days.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
alent1234
Diamond Member

if you go to the dealer with a very specific configuration they will never cut you a deal

that said i saw a new one a few years back at a dealer and it was close to $40,000 with the configuration i wanted. in laws said they would give my wife and I $10,000. we said no thank you and bought a new CR-V
alent1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
shortylickens
No Lifer

Its not very specific. Just a 2nd gen (which is everything 2009 and after, which is mostly what they have anyway) and needs power seats, which unfortunately has to be above an S class. They have plenty. I picked the cheapest one they showed me assuming it was the simplest and tried to wrangle them down 2 grand. They refused. So I think I diddly for skills.

Last time I went to a dealer and didnt have ANY demands they tried to talk me into a different model rather than take less money. Either way they were still getting the same ridiculous markup.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
NutBucket
Lifer

Why are you limiting yourself to dealers?
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
alent1234
Diamond Member

are you paying cash or financing?

lots of .9 or 0% financing deals now
alent1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:

115,000 miles and I've never added a drop of oil to my engine between oil changes.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
JTsyo
Diamond Member

Check autotrader.com I see a few on there for the NJ area.
JTsyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #13
Meghan54
Diamond Member

Good luck with your Murano search. We love our '03. Yes, the first year of the first generation. Bought it with 72K on the clock last November and couldn't be happier. While the engine does consume a bit of oil, about a quart every 5K miles, who cares? That's about the oil change mileage and having to top off a half quart or so between changes is really irrelevant.

On the other hand, our Murano has worked out well. It towed a 17 1/2 ft., 2600# Sea Sprite I/O boat from Wisconsin to Cape Cod without a problem, and that included through a driving snow storm between Ohio and Mass....so bad the four lane interstate was barely a two lane road. Never missed a beat.

Ours is the SE variant and was a great compromise for power, price (under $12K) and comfort. It's the first vehicle we've owned that had HID headlights and we love 'em. Seats are very comfortable and the passenger's footwell is just damned deep....tons of room.
-Christopher Dawson
Meghan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
115,000 miles and I've never added a drop of oil to my engine between oil changes.

Then you've been lucky.

Oil consumption issues are just about guaranteed with the 'high output' 3.5 and ALL nissan 4.5 engines. A few years ago I seriously considered an m45, after doing research about how nissan handles this stuff I swore the entire brand away (and i used to love nissan...). On the inifiniti forums, literally no one was able to get 100k miles out of the 4.5l v8 in the m45. There were tons of 'one time only' engine replacement under warranty, and the new engine would start using oil within months.

The 3.5 is not quite as bad, but there are still tons of reports of people having to add 1-2 qts in 3,000 miles, which nissan considers acceptable. I would be ok with it if ALL of the 3.5 drank oil, but the fact that it's hit or miss indicates some design flaw.

Adding oil isn't a big deal now, but nissan has not stated exactly where the oil is going... If it's bad rings, or valve seats, then that will end up being a major issue. If it's oil blow by getting reburned then it's maybe not as bad, but still not good.

Oil consumption issues doesn't mean the car will blow up one day, but it's a symptom of an overall larger issue. Personally, I don't like the super secretive way nissan handles this, including having people sign agreements to not discuss the circumstances if they replace their engines.

Between that and the whole nissan computer website fiasco I am not willing to give nissan motors a dime of my money...... I went to BMW and haven't looked back.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Also... Jules I would be checking oil every fillup. Have you tracked oil usage at all, or done a blackstone UOA?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
shortylickens
No Lifer

They just called back. Did indeed find exactly the vehicle I want for the correct price. Only downside is its bronze, which is just like the pissy champaign color on my S-10. I hate that color. Its pretty much the worst Murano color they have except for crimson.

But its got everything I need. As soon as they can they are gonna get pics and if I like it, they'll have the thing shipped from Arlington or wherever it was.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Quote:
Then you've been lucky.

Oil consumption issues are just about guaranteed with the 'high output' 3.5 and ALL nissan 4.5 engines. A few years ago I seriously considered an m45, after doing research about how nissan handles this stuff I swore the entire brand away (and i used to love nissan...). On the inifiniti forums, literally no one was able to get 100k miles out of the 4.5l v8 in the m45. There were tons of 'one time only' engine replacement under warranty, and the new engine would start using oil within months.

The 3.5 is not quite as bad, but there are still tons of reports of people having to add 1-2 qts in 3,000 miles, which nissan considers acceptable. I would be ok with it if ALL of the 3.5 drank oil, but the fact that it's hit or miss indicates some design flaw.

Adding oil isn't a big deal now, but nissan has not stated exactly where the oil is going... If it's bad rings, or valve seats, then that will end up being a major issue. If it's oil blow by getting reburned then it's maybe not as bad, but still not good.

Oil consumption issues doesn't mean the car will blow up one day, but it's a symptom of an overall larger issue. Personally, I don't like the super secretive way nissan handles this, including having people sign agreements to not discuss the circumstances if they replace their engines.

Between that and the whole nissan computer website fiasco I am not willing to give nissan motors a dime of my money...... I went to BMW and haven't looked back.
My QX4 that I owned for 11 years and 100k never burned any oil, fwiw.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
chin311
Diamond Member

I've heard plenty of stories about the VQ and oil-burning. Some have bought them new and always had them consume some oil, some haven't burned a drop.

As for me, on my Altima I might have to put in 1/2 a qt between oil changes, but I use syn oil & change it every 4k-5k-ish depending on my driving.

When I first switched from dino to syn when I got the car @ 39k it burned a bit more, but after a few changes it's leveled out.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
Doppel
Lifer

Vq as a whole is kickass and no worries.

Op I personally feel agony on your behalf about that color murano they found for you. I am concerned that you will hate it beyond all imagining.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
CraigRT
Lifer

Quote:

I think the EX35 is even better. For some reason you do not see many, they are about the best small luxury SUV out there. They look great to boot, much better than the FX line.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
jagec
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
Vq as a whole is kickass and no worries.

Op I personally feel agony on your behalf about that color murano they found for you. I am concerned that you will hate it beyond all imagining.
Well, he hasn't committed yet.

GIS:

Ugh.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
shortylickens
No Lifer

GOT IT!

Looks more like gunmetal than bronze. Not nearly as ugly as I thought it would be.
Has more features than originally told, but they charged me the same price. Nabbed it for 5 grand under MSRP.

Has leather, navigation, power driver and passenger seat, dual sun roof, automatic hatch and rear seats, heated front seats, AV connectors for rear seats. In fact the only thing its really lacking is a rear camera.

All I gotta do now is get the check from Pentagon Federal. And hit the DMV & swap the plates.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
shortylickens
No Lifer

I lied, it does have the rear view camera, with the overlays that shift when I turn the wheel. Pretty sweet. All thats left is to get a dash camera, and tire chains (my old ones are custom sized for the Chevy).
Old 05-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
T2urtle
Diamond Member

nice so what exactly is the year and trim you got and price?

A friend is shopping for a murano right now would be nice to tell her what she should aim for least
T2urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #25
shortylickens
No Lifer

2009, SL. I dunno if I said that before. Thats the minimum package I need to get power seats. On top of that it has pretty much every option, all the stuff I listed above is non-standard. As for your friend, ask her what she needs and make a list of that. Then ask her what she wants and put that on a separate list. When it comes time to decide on a budget she'll have an easier time deciding what to sacrifice.

Also, 2009 is the first year of the 2nd generation, which is much improved in terms of quality and reduction in maintenance. There are no 2008's. 2007 and below isnt worth it unless she gets it dirt cheap and is willing to pay for all the issues, since the warranty will be well expired at that point.

And like I said, I picked up mine for 5 grand under NADA value, so make sure you shop around. Know what its actually worth and know what people are paying.