· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

Default Perplexing internet issue...SOLVED

This seems to have fixed the issue, a security patch from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748

If your having this issue, you may want to try the other suggestions in this thread as well...

V Origional Post V

Got an XP Home SP3 PC that will no longer run internet. It connects to the router just fine, and I can play with settings there all day. There are several other computers in the house both wired and wireless that connect and get internet just fine. This PC used to work, was connected with wifi. I have since drug out a 100 foot cable and strung it across the house to no avail. Ive tried several things but still can't figure it out. Obviously it has to be this PC right? But I have no idea what caused the internet to fail. I unistalled the antivirus and have windows firewall disabled...tried some command line resets and software fixes I copied over USB. Trying the built in fix with internet explorer does nothing, it instantly tells me to contact customer service (instead of the usual reset the router or whatnot). I tried reseting explorer to its defaults, and tried chrome as another browser...no go.

So now I gotta ask for help, Ive never been unable to get internet working, especially a wired connection. Might as well start at the begining...what do I need to do or try?

I thought about trying to do a repair install of XP, but for the life of me I can't find an XP Home disk. I have the CD Key...and an XP Pro disk, but no home disc. Actually if I did have the disk it would be SP1 I'm sure, so is there somewhere I can get an XP Home SP3 ISO or something? I tried browsing microsoft but I don't think I found it. Im not looking for an illegal or cracked copy, I definately have the key (confirmed it by pulling the key from registry). Would a repair install even work? Or maybe just reinstalling the service pack itself (can I get that online, to a USB stick?)

Theres about a terabyte of important programs (seriously) on this thing, so even if it had backups of the files I really don't want to spend a month reinstalling, rebuilding, and updating everything.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EliteRetard; 05-25-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: SOLVED
EliteRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
ericloewe

If you're going to reinstall Windows you will have to reinstall your programs...

Try booting from a LiveCD to see if it works (I'm guessing you'll have the same problem, but might as well try it)
ericloewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

LiveCD?

And I was talking about a repair install, basically just doing the install over the existing one without formating. I recall that being an option with XP though I havn't done it in a LONG time.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

Just for the heck of it I uninstalled my network controller and reinstalled it. Seemed to be working fine since I could connect to the router, and indeed reinstalling it did nothing.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Fardringle
Diamond Member

Open a command prompt and type tracert 74.125.127.104 (an IP address for google.com). See if any steps go past the IP address of your router. If so, let us know the last step that does not time out.

Also, in the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and look at the IP addresses listed for the Default Gateway and DNS Servers. The Default Gateway should be the IP address of your router. Let us know what it says for DNS servers.
"Greendale is a bodaciously small town, Lane... I can't even Find-A-Drug here!" - Charles De Mar (Better Off Dead)
"I did not have BOINC relations with that woman, Rosetta@Home!" - Bill Clinton

Last edited by Fardringle; 05-23-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Fardringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
pete1229

Did you happen to check the access restrictions page on your router to see if the xp computers ip or mac address somehow was added to the list, just a thought!
pete1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
jjsbasmt

Please don't beat me up - but have your tried "System Restore" to any points where the system worked correctly?
Q9550/Asus P5Q Turbo/ 8GB OCZ Gold PC8500/PC P&C Silencer 500/Sapphire Radeon HD5670/Crucial M500 240/Caviar Black 1 TB/SONY SATA Lightscribe/12 in-one Media Card Reader/Dell 22" HDMI, Win 8.1 Pro 64, in CoolerMaster Centurion, Protected by APC XS 1000/Samsung SCX-3405W
jjsbasmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

I did check to see if there were any access restrictions, and I tried adding the PC to the allow list using its MAC and IP address, just for the heck of it.

I would have loved to try system restore, but it was disabled due to space constraints.

I wont be able to try anything else tonight though, I had to unhook everything before the people came home. But Ill give it a shot first thing in the morning. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
oynaz
Platinum Member

I think you are looking in the wrong place. The router would be my first suspect. Try resetting it (back up your configuration first).
oynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

I still don't have internet, can still reach the router.
I have already tried resetting the router to defaults...
Heres the results from the command prompt:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxx
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit
Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-(edit)-xx-xx
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:57:06 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 25, 2012 8:57:06 AM

Tracing route to 74.125.127.104 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 10 ms 9 ms 8 ms 73.98.190.1
3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 68.87.207.165
4 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 68.85.240.89
5 15 ms 21 ms 18 ms 68.86.94.229
6 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 68.86.85.38
7 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 75.149.231.90
8 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 209.85.249.34
9 13 ms 11 ms 13 ms 66.249.94.197
10 17 ms 46 ms 38 ms 216.239.46.200
11 18 ms 19 ms 17 ms 64.233.174.97
12 21 ms 20 ms 19 ms 216.239.46.18
13 18 ms 20 ms 19 ms 74.125.127.104

Trace complete.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
sm625
Diamond Member

Procure a $5 usb to ethernet adapter. Maybe just using a different adapter will fix it. This is unlikely since you've already apparently tried two different network adapters. But you should still try it because it is the simplest step.

If not then procure a temporary hard disk. Remove your old HDD and temporarily install the XP Pro onto the temporary HDD just to see if you can get the networking running on a fresh install. (Better yet, install 7 if you can since it has better LAN support out of the box.) What happens there will give you a clue on how to proceed.
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4770k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4770k

Last edited by sm625; 05-24-2012 at 12:34 PM.
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
pete1229

This is, as you said "perplexing". This could also be due to a virus or spyware, you might try the following. You'll need to do the download on a PC with internet access and save it to a thumddrive:

1. First of all download the WinsockFix Utility from the following link:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

2. Run it and click fix.

3. restart the computer

4. go to Control Panel -> network connections -> right click the lan connection and click properties

5. In the general tab double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list.

6. re-enter the details as necessary.

I hope this will solve your problem.

Give this a try before you resort to a re-install and let us know how you make out. good luck!
pete1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
the_meatloaf___

Since you can tracert out to 74.125.127.104 successfully, try to ping or tracert to google.com. It could be that your DNS isn't translating the IP address correctly.

Another way to test this would be to open your IE and browse to http://74.125.127.104
If that takes you to Google, you know its a DNS issue.
the_meatloaf___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1229 View Post
This is, as you said "perplexing". This could also be due to a virus or spyware, you might try the following. You'll need to do the download on a PC with internet access and save it to a thumddrive:

1. First of all download the WinsockFix Utility from the following link:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

2. Run it and click fix.

3. restart the computer

4. go to Control Panel -> network connections -> right click the lan connection and click properties

5. In the general tab double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list.

6. re-enter the details as necessary.

I hope this will solve your problem.

Give this a try before you resort to a re-install and let us know how you make out. good luck!
Thats one of the things I tried...didn't work. I also tried reinstalling the origional antivirus as well as another just to see what would happen and check the system out. AVG and a trial of Kaspersky. Both are uninstalled again.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meatloaf___ View Post
Since you can tracert out to 74.125.127.104 successfully, try to ping or tracert to google.com. It could be that your DNS isn't translating the IP address correctly.

Another way to test this would be to open your IE and browse to http://74.125.127.104
If that takes you to Google, you know its a DNS issue.
Yeah it doesn't seem to want to trace google.com, and indeed typing in the IP in the browser takes me to google and I can do searches for stuff...but can't get to other sites by clicking on them. Searching for IP addresses however, I can type those in and get a few sites to come up, sometimes broken.

So looks like maybe we found the issue, but I don't actually know what to do about it or where to go from here.

Thanks again for all the input so far!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
Fardringle
Diamond Member

You verified that you have Internet access, the connection is working, and you have valid (Comcast) DNS servers.

Check to make sure the DNS Client Service is running properly. Click the Windows Start button, then Run, then type services.msc and click the OK button or press Enter to open the Windows Services applet. Look for DNS Client in the list and make sure that it shows "Started" in the Status column and "Automatic" in the Startup Type column. If it is not Started, then right-click on the DNS Client service and left-click Start (or Restart) to start the service. Try to access a web page again to see what happens after starting/restarting the service.
"Greendale is a bodaciously small town, Lane... I can't even Find-A-Drug here!" - Charles De Mar (Better Off Dead)

Last edited by Fardringle; 05-24-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

Yep, those services are running and set to automatic...so thats not it. I tried manually entering another DNS on the PC, didn't do anything (also tried manually set the IP gateway and DNS instead of set to automatic). I was thinking about trying it on the router, but not sure if I can (WRT54G2 V1).

But I really don't think the issue is with the router or other hardware, because its only this PC that has the issue. There are at least 4 other computers wired and wireless that all fuction perfectly. The one Im using now to diagnose the issue is wired to the same router. I even tried swapping ports/cables just for the heck of it.

And the problem is with either the wired connection or a wireless USB adaptor, so I don't think its the controller. Theres gotta be some stupid software issue somewhere or a missing/corrupt file or something. Right?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

O.K. don't ask me how, but this seems to have fixed the issue at least for now:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748

Some random ass security patch. I have no idea how I found it or why it worked, but for some reason I dowloaded it to a USB drive and after install I seem to have internet.

This was one crazy arse problem and an even crazier solution. Now I wonder if anybody can explain how the heck this fixed the problem, or what the actual issue was? Strangely, this patch is noted for breaking the internet on XP
Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #19
Fardringle
Diamond Member

It looks like that security update replaces many of the files in the TCP/IP stack, so if one or more of those files were corrupted, the patch would have fixed them even if your problem wasn't exactly related to the issue that the patch was created for in the first place.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

Well thanks again for all the help people.

Coming back here to check for ideas and trying things even if I had done them before, kept me somewhat sane. I dont think I smashed any PC components this time even though it was a very elusive problem.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #21
oynaz
Platinum Member

Glad you fixed it. Post the solution in the original post, and append fixed or something like that to the header. This way, others with the same problem can search for it.
oynaz is offline   Reply With Quote