· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
zijin_cheng

Default ASUS 7850, what games @ 1920x1080?

I just bought a 7850 and was wondering what games can I play at a good framerate, close to 50-60fps on 1920x1080?

I'm looking at highest settings minus any AA or AF.

I've read reviews for the 7850 however they test all their games with either a high or max AA/AF. However, I was wondering whether anyone with real world experience has played these games at highest without AA/AF and what their framrates were?

Oh my cpu is i5-3570k

Last edited by ElFenix; 05-21-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: moved from GH
zijin_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Ken g6
Elite Member

This thread looks like it belongs in the PC Gaming forum.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
LagunaX

Diablo III of course!
Samsung 30nm 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v
Diamond HD 7970
Corsair TX750Win a CM 690 II Advanced
LagunaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
lehtv
Diamond Member

You can play any game at 50-60fps on a 7850, but not at max settings. The most demanding or badly optimized titles will need medium settings.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Atomic Playboy
Lifer

You should be able to play everything at 1080P and average around 60 FPS, but you may need to lower some settings for the most demanding or poorly optimized titles; Crysis and Crysis Warhead, Battlefield 3, Skyrim and Batman Arkham City will not average 60 FPS at max settings.
Atomic Playboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
zijin_cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaX View Post
Diablo III of course!
Ok well duh, even a phenom 1 with a 6850 will probably max it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Playboy View Post
You should be able to play everything at 1080P and average around 60 FPS, but you may need to lower some settings for the most demanding or poorly optimized titles; Crysis and Crysis Warhead, Battlefield 3, Skyrim and Batman Arkham City will not average 60 FPS at max settings.
However, according to Tomshardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3148.html

It runs skyrim (with patch) 60fps 1920x1080 with 16x AF and 8x MSAA, so I'm not sure why you think it won't run skyrim on max at 1080p

It runs BF3 at 54fps avg on a high preset

One thing to keep in mind is that their test included an OCed 2600k @ 4.5ghz and when I play games I always turn off AF and AA of any kind because I don't need it.

And granted Crysis of course, you would probably need dual 580s or 6990 to max it out.

EDIT: anandtech shows similar results
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5625/a...hern-islands/1
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
magomago
Lifer

why would you NOT turn on max AF?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
arkcom
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magomago View Post
why would you NOT turn on max AF?
Seriously. Of all the settings, it has to be the most important. I think its basically free, performance-wise, anymore.
arkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Atomic Playboy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zijin_cheng View Post
It runs skyrim (with patch) 60fps 1920x1080 with 16x AF and 8x MSAA, so I'm not sure why you think it won't run skyrim on max at 1080p

It runs BF3 at 54fps avg on a high preset
Tomshardware was testing Skyrim with the standard resolution textures, not the HD pack from Bethesda, let alone any mods. I'd argue that modded texture files will make the game look significantly better than 8x MSAA, and even the official HD pack is a significant improvement over the default. But that's definitely running Skyrim better than I thought it would based on how that game works on ATI hardware.

As for BF3, the highest preset quality is ultra, not high, and the singleplayer game (where Tom's is doing their benchmark) tends to run about 10 FPS higher than the multiplayer (which is what most people get BF3 for). You aren't running the Ultra preset at 1080P in multiplayer and getting 60 FPS steady with a 7850; I barely get that with a GTX 680. BF3 feels fine at 45 fps, but you'll probably want to turn down some graphics options to bump your FPS in the multiplayer for a better gaming experience.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Atomic Playboy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkcom View Post
Seriously. Of all the settings, it has to be the most important. I think its basically free, performance-wise, anymore.
This x1000. There is absolutely no reason to not run anisotropic filtering at 16x in today's games with today's hardware. The performance hit is negligible for the vast improvement in visual quality.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
zijin_cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Playboy View Post
Tomshardware was testing Skyrim with the standard resolution textures, not the HD pack from Bethesda, let alone any mods. I'd argue that modded texture files will make the game look significantly better than 8x MSAA, and even the official HD pack is a significant improvement over the default. But that's definitely running Skyrim better than I thought it would based on how that game works on ATI hardware.

As for BF3, the highest preset quality is ultra, not high, and the singleplayer game (where Tom's is doing their benchmark) tends to run about 10 FPS higher than the multiplayer (which is what most people get BF3 for). You aren't running the Ultra preset at 1080P in multiplayer and getting 60 FPS steady with a 7850; I barely get that with a GTX 680. BF3 feels fine at 45 fps, but you'll probably want to turn down some graphics options to bump your FPS in the multiplayer for a better gaming experience.
Ok, i forgot about AF after using my9600m GT for 3-4 years, that AF is no problem anymore, so here's my question with AF on, since I'm not sure anyone has taken the reviews into account AND turned off AA

That's exactly my question. In both anandtech and tomshardware reviews, they were using the official patch and bethesda HD texture pack.

However, they were getting 57fps on max + AF AA on 1920x1080, now, as you guys suggested, only turning off AA completely, and taking into account that you said skyrim should not run that good on this card, what framerates should i be getting?

BF3 as well, I don't have BF3 yet and not sure if they let you turn off settings indivdually, but since the reviews say 60fps ultra on singleplayer, couldn't I turn off AA only for that extra 5-10fps and then lose that fps in multi and still stay at 60ish fps?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
magomago
Lifer

...where are you getting 5-10 fps? in the latest situations I see (which go back even to 2006) it is showing a 0-5 fps difference, mostly centered around 2 fps.

There is a reason you won't find benchmarks anymore...because AF is a given these days. If you need to see the performance difference, you should benchmark it yourself.

You really need to consider the difference whether or not something like 2fps matters for the IQ you are giving it http://www.tweakguides.com/images/GGDSG_22.jpg
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
zijin_cheng

Quote:
...where are you getting 5-10 fps? in the latest situations I see (which go back even to 2006) it is showing a 0-5 fps difference, mostly centered around 2 fps.

There is a reason you won't find benchmarks anymore...because AF is a given these days. If you need to see the performance difference, you should benchmark it yourself.

You really need to consider the difference whether or not something like 2fps matters for the IQ you are giving it http://www.tweakguides.com/images/GGDSG_22.jpg
First things first: READ the whole thread, it isn't even longer than a page
Your post above is just talking about AF, not AA. And IQ? I don't get it

MSAA still has an effect on fps, large enough to significantly impact performance.

And everyone keep in mind that I disable AF out of habit, I had a 9600m GT and you scrape up every frame you can get, but now I understand, AF won't make a difference in a medium end graphics card, BUT MSAA WILL

So MSAA vs no MSAA, how much fps will I gain for that?

Last edited by zijin_cheng; 05-22-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
magomago
Lifer

I did read the 'whole thread'... I'm just flabbergasted why a person, who has the hardware to test his or her games, is asking others. You have a 7850. Test it out yourself.

Get the games you want to play, turn all the eye candy up. If its fine, play and enjoy. If it is not fine, turn down your AA levels, or turn it off completely. Rinse and repeat until you find the balance of IQ and FPS that you can deal with.

What I can say is that you will AT LEAST get that same FPS if you turn off AA. It depends on the game.

You won't get that much of a better answer, because, in general, people are not going to invest in 250+ dollar cards that are < 1 year old and then turn OFF things like AA. The only way to get your answer is to try it out yourself...which is possible considering you own the hardware already.

edit:

btw everyone else has pretty much told you the situation: You should be able to play most games, outside of a small handful (poorly optimized), at maximum settings.

Last edited by magomago; 05-23-2012 at 11:05 AM.
magomago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
zijin_cheng

Quote:
I did read the 'whole thread'... I'm just flabbergasted why a person, who has the hardware to test his or her games, is asking others. You have a 7850. Test it out yourself.

Get the games you want to play, turn all the eye candy up. If its fine, play and enjoy. If it is not fine, turn down your AA levels, or turn it off completely. Rinse and repeat until you find the balance of IQ and FPS that you can deal with.

What I can say is that you will AT LEAST get that same FPS if you turn off AA. It depends on the game.

You won't get that much of a better answer, because, in general, people are not going to invest in 250+ dollar cards that are < 1 year old and then turn OFF things like AA. The only way to get your answer is to try it out yourself...which is possible considering you own the hardware already.

edit:

btw everyone else has pretty much told you the situation: You should be able to play most games, outside of a small handful (poorly optimized), at maximum settings.
Your "reply" above does not tell me that you've read the whole thread.
I don't mind you voicing the facts on AF, but didn't you see my last reply? I now know AF doesn't impact framerates at all, I then asked about AA.
You have the answer you just gave it below, why didn't you write it in the reply above and tell me that "I've read the whole thread"

You only have partial rights to "bold" your letters at me, as its partially my fault. I didn't think anyone would get annoyed about me asking framerate questions, my 7850 doesn't come for 2 weeks and I'm getting buyer's remorse, hence my starting this thread.

And now on the the only part of your "post" that is actually useful, AA doesn't impact framerates that much. Aww too bad, I was hoping it did because jagged edges don't really bother me and was hoping for more fps when below 60

Oh and magomago, no one has actually told me what fps impact I could expect from AA (after I was told AF has no impact) except for you in this last post