Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Consumer Electronics > Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #201
lothar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 6,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhan View Post
It would have been a stretch but not impossible. IIRC they said production in Q2. Q3/Q4 is realistic for a dual core A15 from Samsung.

Put it this way, if the Nexus4 really is Samsung and they wanted to blow it out of the water, Dual core A15 + 720p HD+ on a Nexus device would be the way to do it.
I don't anticipate that happening either.

Why in the world would Samsung want to do that on a Nexus? That would completely steal the thunder from their own Galaxy series phones. If they do that for the next Nexus, what could they possibly announce for their Galaxy S IV to convince people to buy it four months later?
Also, I don't see why Google would agree to that. Making the most technology advanced phone on the planet isn't magically going to get it into more people's hands besides us technology geeks here maybe. Making a $400 Nexus device would however, like how the Galaxy Nexus is currently being sold for $400 at the Play Store.

All you people clamoring for dual core A15 Exynos in phones this year...Sorry to break your hearts, but it's just not going to happen. I think I've been saying that for 2-3 months here now, well before the Galaxy S III was previewed/demoed last week.

Time to post my secret which has been publically available everwhere for ever:

lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #202
ITHURTSWHENIP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 310
Default

I think people have misunderstood how the Nexus line works. Google starts out with choosing the chip manufacturer that they want to work together with on their next OS. Then they pick the OEM that manufactures the phone. Its not up to Samsung what kind of processor it will have. And Nexus is a reference phone for developers so its not exactly smart to have developers using a 2GHz Cortex A15 phone when trying to develop apps for the 200+ million phones already out there with older hardware.

My guess would be next Nexus uses OMAP4470 if they continue with TI or Snapdragon S4.
ITHURTSWHENIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #203
ilkhan
Golden Member
 
ilkhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post
I don't anticipate that happening either.

Why in the world would Samsung want to do that on a Nexus?

They wouldn't, which is why I said "if". Such a phone is unlikely as a nexus. Google has no reason to want such top-end proprietary hardware in a nexus phone. krait S4 pro and a mid-size 720p are far more likely.
ilkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #204
dagamer34
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHURTSWHENIP View Post
I think people have misunderstood how the Nexus line works. Google starts out with choosing the chip manufacturer that they want to work together with on their next OS. Then they pick the OEM that manufactures the phone. Its not up to Samsung what kind of processor it will have. And Nexus is a reference phone for developers so its not exactly smart to have developers using a 2GHz Cortex A15 phone when trying to develop apps for the 200+ million phones already out there with older hardware.

My guess would be next Nexus uses OMAP4470 if they continue with TI or Snapdragon S4.
I don't think Google is going to be making any more exclusive deals with Verizon since they have a mind of their own in terms of the devices they want to push/carry and that's heavily slanted towards Motorola. Even now, they hardly advertise the Nexus when the RAZR gets all the love from the carrier.

I predict we may see the first Nexus device sold directly from AT&T at the end of the year. Every other carrier has had one so far.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #205
ITHURTSWHENIP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 310
Default

I wouldnt rule that out. But right now Google and AT&T are having a lovers spat

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/8/300...e-disagreement
ITHURTSWHENIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #206
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHURTSWHENIP View Post
I wouldnt rule that out. But right now Google and AT&T are having a lovers spat

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/8/300...e-disagreement
Gotta love At&t, the international model of a phone get's updates 6+ months faster than the At&t version with identical hardware yet somehow that's Google's fault. Heck in the case of the Galaxy S the Verizon and Sprint models also got Gingerbread faster than the At&t one.

At&t's CEO is either a moron, liar, or more than likely all of the above.
__________________


Last edited by Puddle Jumper; 05-09-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #207
lothar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 6,496
Default

They could also go back to T-Mobile and stick to making pentaband phones.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #208
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member
 
poofyhairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 8,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHURTSWHENIP View Post
I wouldnt rule that out. But right now Google and AT&T are having a lovers spat

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/8/300...e-disagreement
Translation: Verizon got the GNex exclusively for a while and that isn't fair. Wah.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaap View Post
I want [my phone's] limits to only be what's not technically possible, not what some company/guru has decided I shouldn't be able to do.
poofyhairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #209
sciwizam
Golden Member
 
sciwizam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,951
Default

In depth preview at GSMArena: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...review-757.php
__________________

sciwizam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #210
dagamer34
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofyhairguy View Post
Translation: Verizon got the GNex exclusively for a while and that isn't fair. Wah.
I don't see why that would matter, they've never sold a Nexus on contract before, and there isn't a HSPA+/LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus for AT&T to actually be interested in. And I think they skipped over the Nexus S for a long time because of the time investment they put into the Motorola Atrix.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #211
ponyo
Lifer
 
ponyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciwizam View Post
That read like a paid review. Terrible.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #212
stormkroe
Senior Member
 
stormkroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 732
Default

That chart already slipped a notch. Quad a9 unfortunately didn't come paired with mali 604. Wonder how much more it'll slip?
stormkroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #213
antef
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
That read like a paid review. Terrible.
Haven't you noticed, that is the majority of the "reviews" on tech blogs for things like this nowadays. 99% are worthless garbage. The "review" is basically a glorified spec sheet with filler words to make the author feel smart. No real objective and independent analysis of using the device, pros/cons, living with the device day to day, etc. You know, the things that actually matter to a consumer. They will call a phone like the S3 awesome simply because they and their readers expected it to be, nevermind any actual glaring problems it (or any other device) may have.
__________________
Intel Core i5-2500K | ASRock Z68 Pro3-M | 4x4 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | PowerColor PCS+ Radeon HD 7950 | Crucial m4 128 GB | Samsung SpinPoint 500 GB | Seasonic G Series 450W | SilverStone PS07 | Win 8.1 Pro
antef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #214
MrX8503
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,531
Default

Is there plastic on the front of the phone? I read the preview on Engadget and the wording was odd.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #215
zerogear
Diamond Member
 
zerogear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,377
Default

Front oh the phone is gorilla glass
__________________
My Heatware
zerogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #216
Bateluer
Lifer
 
Bateluer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 27,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antef View Post
Haven't you noticed, that is the majority of the "reviews" on tech blogs for things like this nowadays. 99% are worthless garbage. The "review" is basically a glorified spec sheet with filler words to make the author feel smart. No real objective and independent analysis of using the device, pros/cons, living with the device day to day, etc. You know, the things that actually matter to a consumer. They will call a phone like the S3 awesome simply because they and their readers expected it to be, nevermind any actual glaring problems it (or any other device) may have.
You're not going to get a review like that until the device actually ships.

Of course, any review or write up that shows a non-Apple device with better numbers than an Apple device is automatically suspect, biased and bought off.
Bateluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #217
sciwizam
Golden Member
 
sciwizam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
Front oh the phone is gorilla glass
I think it's actually Gorilla Glass 2.
__________________

sciwizam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #218
antef
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
You're not going to get a review like that until the device actually ships.

Of course, any review or write up that shows a non-Apple device with better numbers than an Apple device is automatically suspect, biased and bought off.
No, this sadly applies to released devices, as well. The reviewers never focus on the stuff that actually matters (like broken multitasking).
__________________
Intel Core i5-2500K | ASRock Z68 Pro3-M | 4x4 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | PowerColor PCS+ Radeon HD 7950 | Crucial m4 128 GB | Samsung SpinPoint 500 GB | Seasonic G Series 450W | SilverStone PS07 | Win 8.1 Pro
antef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #219
kaerflog
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,640
Default

Probably will be Gorilla Glass 2.
I'm pretty sure HTC One X/S uses GG2.
I couldn't figure out why the images on my One S look so much better than other phones.
I compared it to an Amaze and its pretty obvious the LCD is much closer to the screen oppose to the Amaze.
GG2 is 20% thinner so it all made sense.
kaerflog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #220
AkumaX
Lifer
 
AkumaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 12,530
Default

page 3 already? sheesh..

so did we figure out if this thing's getting quad core w/ LTE? or a dual core silicone for replacement? i know s. korea's pushing LTE also, so...
__________________
............................
HeetWear
(o_
(o_ (o_ / /
(/)_ (\)_ V_/_
AkumaX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #221
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaerflog View Post
Probably will be Gorilla Glass 2.
I'm pretty sure HTC One X/S uses GG2.
I couldn't figure out why the images on my One S look so much better than other phones.
I compared it to an Amaze and its pretty obvious the LCD is much closer to the screen oppose to the Amaze.
GG2 is 20% thinner so it all made sense.
That's not due to gorilla glass 2, the One S has a Super AMOLED display which dosn't have a visible gap between the outer glass and the display like many older phones do. Apple and Samsung have both been doing this with their displays for the last couple of years but I think the One series are the first HTC devices to be built that way.
__________________

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #222
Axon
Platinum Member
 
Axon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaX View Post
page 3 already? sheesh..

so did we figure out if this thing's getting quad core w/ LTE? or a dual core silicone for replacement? i know s. korea's pushing LTE also, so...
I'd also like to know this. I had heard that USA was getting a dual core with LTE version. Buty? All in all, something is darn funky about this phone, and my initial excitement has worn off.
__________________
Heat

i7 2600k @ 4.6/Gigabyte P67A-UD4/8 Gig G.Skill Ripjaws 1600/ASUS GTX 670 DCII TOP/OCZ Vertex 3 250 GB/WD Black 640 Gig HDD

No one wants to trade new stuff for old crap
Axon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #223
NikolaeVarius
Lifer
 
NikolaeVarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,280
Default

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/12...snapdragon-s4/

Snapdragon s4 with LTE and Verizon.
__________________
Boom, phrasing.
NikolaeVarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #224
kaerflog
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
That's not due to gorilla glass 2, the One S has a Super AMOLED display which dosn't have a visible gap between the outer glass and the display like many older phones do. Apple and Samsung have both been doing this with their displays for the last couple of years but I think the One series are the first HTC devices to be built that way.
I'm starring at my One S and IP4 right now and the display on the One S is definately closer to the glass.
I also had a GSII and the display was not as close to the glass as the One S.
kaerflog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #225
krumme
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,352
Default

S3 hits 9M preorders
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...wide-18228876/
Well geeks you dont like the design, but it looks Samsung hit the nail.
Apple better learn something or they will be number 2 soon. This phone have what it needs to shake this market big time.
krumme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.